08 August 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- DHS warns of rising threat of violence tied to pro-Trump election conspiracies Press TV 08 Aug 2021 -- The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has reportedly notified local and state authorities regarding recent online campaigns calling for violence in relation to several 2020 election conspiracies.
- Spying Gets Craftier as China, Taiwan Up Use of Cyber Tools VOA 08 Aug 2021 -- Espionage between Taiwan and China has grown more sophisticated because of fewer people-to-people exchanges and more use of cyber tools, as relations between the two remain chill, analysts in Taipei say.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- US Health Experts Voice New Coronavirus Concerns VOA 08 Aug 2021 -- Top U.S. health officials expressed new warnings Sunday about the surging spread of the delta variant of the coronavirus across the country, amid a growing number of calls for vaccine mandates.
- Top US health official: America is 'failing' on COVID Press TV 08 Aug 2021 -- A top American public health official has warned that the United States is "failing," as the country is recording its highest daily number of COVID-19 cases in six months.
- U.S. sees average daily count of over 100,000 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- As the highly transmissible Delta variant continued to spread in some U.S. states with low vaccination rates, the country's average daily count of COVID-19 cases climbed to over 100,000 on Friday, the highest level since the winter surge in 2020.
- COVID-19 community transmission substantial or high in most of U.S.: CDC People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- COVID-19 community transmission is substantial or high in most of the United States, said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in a weekly report on Friday.
- Chinese CDC head denies saying 'no hurry to get vaccinated' Global Times 08 Aug 2021 -- Gao Fu, director of the Chinese Center of Disease Control (China CDC), refuted online claims that he had said there is no hurry to get vaccinated, which was in contrary to comments from China's top epidemiologist Zhong Nanshan, who said that Chinese vaccines are safe and people should be inoculated as soon as possible.
- Beijing further restricts entry by railway to strengthen 'safety barrier' of capital amid nationwide epidemic resurgence Global Times 08 Aug 2021 -- Apart from suspending selling railway tickets to people from medium- or high-risk regions or with a travel history in those regions within 14 days, Beijing has tightened epidemic prevention and control measures for rail passengers and restricted outbound travel from the capital to strengthen the "safety barrier" against the COVID-19 epidemic.
- More than 30 officials in 4 provinces punished for slack response, ineffective management in latest COVID-19 outbreaks Global Times 08 Aug 2021 -- More than 30 officials in four epidemic-hit provinces have been punished for their slack response and ineffective management in dealing with latest COVID-19 outbreaks across China, including a vice mayor, district leaders, heads of the local health commissions, hospital management staff and officials from the airport and tourism sector.
- Hubei governor calls for enhanced anti-virus measures in Wuhan Global Times 08 Aug 2021 -- The anti-coronavirus measures in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, should adopt a scientific, accurate, and fast approach, and avoid "one size fits all," Wang Zhonglin, governor of Hubei, said while examining virus prevention work in the city, which has seen a recnet flare-up in locally-transmitted cases.
- Over 1.77 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.77 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 7 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported seven new imported cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, taking the total tally to 12,011.
- China's Wuhan samples over 11 million for COVID-19 testing People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- To promptly contain the latest COVID-19 resurgence, central China's Wuhan has collected over 11.23 million samples for nucleic acid testing, local authorities said Saturday.
- Nearly 1.76 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- Nearly 1.76 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Friday, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- 6 Nanjing officials punished for failure in COVID-19 prevention, control People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- Six officials from Nanjing in East China's Jiangsu province have received severe punishment due to their failures in COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control, according to a statement from the provincial disciplinary watchdog on Saturday.
- China's Hubei reports 6 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported six new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and three asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 81 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 81 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Sunday.
- France, Italy gripped by mass protests over new COVID restrictions Press TV 08 Aug 2021 -- Protesters have staged street rallies in France and Italy against COVID restrictions, which they say infringe on their civil liberties.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage crosses 50.68 Cr India PIB 08 Aug 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 50.68 Cr
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 08 Aug 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 08 Aug 2021
- Raisi terms public vaccination as unavoidable necessity IRNA 08 Aug 2021 -- Iranian newly-elected President Ebrahim Raisi on Sunday described public vaccination against COVID-19 as an unavoidable necessity.
- COVID-19 kills 542 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 08 Aug 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 94,015 with 542 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- Iranian Red Crescent receives 12th batch of COVID-19 vaccine IRNA 08 Aug 2021 -- Iranian Red Crescent secretary general said that the entity has received the 12th batch of COVID-19 vaccines and handed them to the Ministry of Health .
- Taiwan reports seven new COVID-19 cases, lowest since mid-May CNA 08 Aug 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday reported seven new cases of COVID-19, the lowest single-day number of cases the country has seen since mid-May, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Another 99,600 doses of Moderna vaccine arrive in Taiwan CNA 08 Aug 2021 -- Taiwan has received another delivery of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine it bought from the American pharmaceutical company, but remains well short of it vaccine needs.
- Delta variant causes 95 pct of recent COVID-19 infections in West Bank: official People's Daily 08 Aug 2021 -- A senior Palestinian official announced on Saturday that 95 percent of the recent COVID-19 infections in the West Bank are of the Delta variant.
- Saudi Arabia to re-open Umrah pilgrimage to vaccinated foreign pilgrims Press TV 08 Aug 2021 -- Saudi Arabia has announced that it will restart processing Umrah pilgrimage requests from foreign Muslims who have been vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Nearly 500,000 Israeli Seniors Get Booster Shots VOA 08 Aug 2021 -- One-third of Israel's seniors â€” about 420,000 of those age 60 and older â€” have received a coronavirus booster shot, Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Sunday, adding that the figure could reach 500,000 by the end of the day.
- Malawi Receives First Doses of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine VOA 08 Aug 2021 -- Malawi has received its first consignment of Johnson & Johnson vaccines â€“ a donation made by the United States under COVAX, a campaign to provide equitable access to COVID-19 shots worldwide.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|