03 August 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Leader of Transnational Money-Laundering Network Pleads Guilty to Aiding Drug-Trafficking Organizations, While Co-Conspirator is Sentenced US Dept. of Justice 03 Aug 2021 -- A Chinese national and naturalized U.S. citizen pleaded guilty yesterday to his involvement in a conspiracy to launder at least $30 million in drug proceeds on behalf of foreign drug-trafficking organizations. Another Chinese national was sentenced to seven years in prison today for his role in the same conspiracy.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 3 August 2021
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 03 Aug 2021
- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic The White House 03 Aug 2021
- US Has Shipped 110 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses to 65 Countries VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- Calling it a major milestone, U.S. President Joe Biden announced on Tuesday that the country has shipped more than 110 million doses of coronavirus vaccine to 65 nations that are among the hardest hit in the world.
- Biggest US Food Company Mandates Coronavirus Vaccinations VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- Tyson Foods, the biggest U.S. food company, said Tuesday it is requiring all its employees to be fully vaccinated, joining a growing list of employers who are making vaccination a condition of further employment.
- New York City Bars, Restaurants, Gyms to Require Proof of Vaccination VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- New York Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday people engaged in indoor activities including fitness clubs, bars and restaurants will be required to be vaccinated, beginning later this month, the first major city in the United States to make such a requirement.
- COVID-19 in U.S. "going to get worse," Fauci warns People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- As the more contagious Delta variant of the novel coronavirus is spreading across the United States, Anthony Fauci, White House chief medical advisor, has warned that "things are going to get worse."
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Remarks on Disinformation about COVID-19 Origins Tracing Disseminated by US Congressmen PRC MofA 03 Aug 2021
- China's Wuhan Orders Mass Testing of 10 Million People Amid Delta Wave Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2021 -- Authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan -- where the coronavirus pandemic first emerged in late 2019 -- on Tuesday announced mass COVID-19 testing amid a resurgence of cases.
- Nanjing, Yangzhou suspend road traffic, flights amid soaring outbreak Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Starting from midnight Tuesday, the city of Yangzhou in East China's Jiangsu Province has put all communities in the main urban area under closed management, while continuing its strict control of access routes to and out of the area to contain further spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Gateways to China enhance 'firewalls' against Delta variant, cold-chain transmission remains in focus Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- As authorities in Nanjing said Tuesday that 44 percent of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city can be connected to staff at the Lukou international airport, the worst outbreak in China since that in Wuhan in 2020, the spotlight is again focused on Chinese ports and airports that have been at the frontline in battling imported infections since China cleaned up massive domestic infections last year.
- China launches vaccinations for teenagers as Delta runs rampant Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- China has launched a vaccination campaign for minors aged 12-17 amid the fresh Nanjing COVID-19 outbreak, which has spread to at least 18 provinces, and Observers believed that improving vaccination rates for the entire population - including minors - is important to tackle the rampant Delta variant, which is far more contagious, as well as possible future new variants.
- East China city Yangzhou seal communities in main urban area; 60% infections related to mahjong parlors Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- The city of Yangzhou in East China's Jiangsu Province has put all communities in the main urban area under closed management, starting from midnight Tuesday, while continuing its strict control of access routes to and out of the area to prevent from further spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Residents, tourists ordered not to leave Zhangjiajie amid COVID-19 flare-ups Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Zhangjiajie in Central China's Hunan Province, where the blockbuster Avatar was shot, ordered all residents and tourists not to leave the city and cooperate with epidemic control measures amid the latest outbreak.
- China's education authority issues urgent notice to promote student vaccination Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- China's Ministry of Education (MOE) has urged local authorities across the country to promote student vaccination amid the recent domestic COVID-19 outbreaks that have spread to at least 18 provinces and cities in China.
- COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections possible, but vaccination slows down virus spread: Zhang Wenhong Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- None of the close contacts of the local COVID-19 case reported on Tuesday at Shanghai Pudong International Airport have been infected so far, as all the working staff at the airport have taken COVID-19 vaccines, slowing down the spread of the virus by a large margin, ZhangWenhong, China leading infectious disease specialist said at a press conference held in Shanghai on Tuesday.
- Wuhan begins city-wide COVID-19 testing after new local infections since June 2020 Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Wuhan in Central China's Hubei Province will conduct city-wide COVID-19 testing, as the city has upgraded its epidemic response measures in the face of the recent outbreak, locking down the area where local infections were reported while upgrading its risk levels. The city's subway has adopted stricter anti-epidemic rules, and all schools have been closed.
- UPDATE: Shanghai escalates a residential compound to medium risk after one local COVID-19 case found Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Shanghai escalated a residential compound in Pudong New Area to medium-risk area after the city reported one new local coronavirus case on Tuesday, about six months since the city saw its last local infection.
- Chinese FM slams report by US Representative Mike McCaul on Wuhan institute virus leak theory Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry has slammed a report released by US Representative Mike McCaul, the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, which claimed that there is a preponderance of evidence that the virus leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) sometime before September 2019. The relevant report is totally based on concocted lies and distorted facts without providing any evidence, and is not credible or scientific, the ministry said.
- China goes all out to contain Delta outbreak People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- China has reported a cluster of COVID-19 infections in the past month, with 328 new locally transmitted confirmed cases registered in July, a number almost equal to the country's total number in the previous five months.
- China delivers 350 million doses vaccines to BRI partners People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- China has delivered 350 million doses of vaccines to co-sponsors of the Initiative for Belt and Road Partnership on COVID-19 Vaccines Cooperation, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Monday.
- China sends COVID-19 working group to Henan People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- The State Council inter-agency task force for COVID-19 response has dispatched a working group to guide prevention and control efforts in central China's Henan Province, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Wuhan Set to Screen Entire City for COVID-19 as New Cases Detected Sputnik 03 Aug 2021 -- The authorities in the Chinese city of Wuhan, the world's first COVID-19 hotbed, have decided to test the city's entire population of 11 million for the virus after several new cases were detected in the city, the local government said on Tuesday.
- Nearly 1.69 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- Nearly 1.69 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 61 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 61 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- British Scientists Fear a Forever COVID War, Germany Opts for Booster Shots VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- The British government's scientific advisers have raised the prospect of fighting a forever war against the coronavirus saying the eradication of the virus "will be unlikely." And they warn "there will always be variants."
- Nicola Sturgeon Says Most Covid-19 Restrictions Will Be Lifted in Scotland On 9 August Sputnik 03 Aug 2021 -- Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland is in a "much better place" than it was a month ago when it had some of the worst Covid numbers in Europe. On 30 July the rolling seven-day average of new infections was 1,153, down from 3,429 on 1 July.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 200 India PIB 03 Aug 2021 -- In a significant achievement, India's Cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage has crossed48 crore landmark milestone (48,41,81,676), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 03 Aug 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 03 Aug 2021
- Special Funds to States for COVID-19 India PIB 03 Aug 2021 -- Government of India has provided the required technical support and has also supported all the states through logistic and financial support to further strengthen the existing health infrastructure to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 kills 378 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 03 Aug 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 91,785 with 378 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Japan Limits Hospital Access Amid COVID-19 Surge VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- With worries of a sharp increase in COVID-19 infections overwhelming the country's hospitals, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga announced Tuesday that only seriously ill coronavirus patients or those at risk of becoming so will be admitted for treatment.
- Taiwan reports 19 new COVID-19 cases, new hospital cluster identified CNA 03 Aug 2021 -- Taiwan on Tuesday reported 19 new cases of COVID-19, including four in a newly-identified cluster at a New Taipei hospital, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Appointments for Moderna shots to open to 519,000 people CNA 03 Aug 2021 -- A total of 519,000 people in Taiwan eligible for a dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine will be able to make online appointments starting Thursday morning, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- Libya receives a batch of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- Libya received a batch of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines on Monday amid the country's stepped-up effort to vaccinate as many people as possible.
- New batch of COVID-19 vaccines donated by China arrives in Tunisia People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- A new batch of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines and protective medical equipment donated by China arrived in Tunisia on Monday.
- Nigerian Doctors Strike Amid Coronavirus Third Wave VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- Doctors in Nigeria's state-run hospitals have walked off the job over what they call poor salaries, insurance, and facilities despite a third wave of coronavirus infections. Hospitals were already struggling to cope with the caseload and health authorities fear the strike, which began Monday, could overwhelm them and end up costing lives.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|