31 July 2021 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO Chief: 'Pandemic Will End When World Chooses' VOA 31 Jul 2021 -- "The pandemic will end when the world chooses to end it," World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Friday in Geneva about the global COVID-19 outbreak that is now being driven by the delta variant of the coronavirus. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox and that infections in vaccinated people may be as transmissible as those in the unvaccinated.
- Florida Sets Daily Record of More Than 21,000 COVID-19 Cases VOA 31 Jul 2021 -- Florida reported a record 21,683 COVID-19 cases on Saturday, making the Southeastern U.S. state the national epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
- Zhengzhou reports 11 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 16 asymptomatic infections Global Times 31 Jul 2021 -- Zhengzhou in Central China's Henan Province reported 11 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 16 asymptomatic infections as of 6pm on Sat, another city with rising cases after Nanjing.
- New outbreak in Nanjing may spread to more regions: National Health Commission official Global Times 31 Jul 2021 -- The new wave of the Delta variant strain outbreak in Nanjing, East China's Jiangsu Province, may continue to spread to more regions in the short term, He Qinghua, a senior official with the National Health Commission, said at a press conference on Saturday.
- Multiple cities strengthen prevention measures as Nanjing outbreak spreads to more regions Global Times 31 Jul 2021 -- More cities on Saturday strengthened their prevention measures as the latest outbreak in Nanjing spreads to nearly 20 cities across at least six provinces including Central China's Anhui, Southwest China's Sichuan, Northeast China's Liaoning as well as Beijing.
- Eastern China's Yangzhou suspends flights, closes tourist spots due to COVID-19 People's Daily 31 Jul 2021 -- East China's Yangzhou City of Jiangsu Province registered 10 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases on Friday, local authorities said on Saturday.
- Facing Delta variant, China upgrades measures to contain latest COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 31 Jul 2021 -- Nanjing, a mega-city with a population of more than 9.3 million in eastern China, has launched the third round of all-inclusive nucleic acid testing to contain the latest COVID-19 resurgence that first emerged at the city's airport.
- COVID-19 kills 286 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 31 Jul 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 90,630 with 286 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry said on Saturday.
- Iran receives 3rd batch of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine from Japan IRNA 31 Jul 2021 -- The Customs Administraiton deputy chairman of Iran said that the third consignment of the Japanese COVID-19 vaccine named 'AstraZeneca' arrived in Iran on Friday night.
- COVID-19 Infections Reach Record High in Tokyo VOA 31 Jul 2021 -- Tokyo's metropolitan government said new coronavirus infections surged to a record high Saturday as the city hosts the Olympic Games.
- Taiwan reports 12 new COVID-19 cases, zero deaths for 4th straight day CNA 31 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan on Saturday reported 12 new cases of COVID-19 -- 11 transmitted domestically and one contracted overseas -- and zero deaths from the disease for the fourth consecutive day, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- COVID-19 vaccine donated by Lithuania arrives in Taiwan CNA 31 Jul 2021 -- A total of 20,000 doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine donated by Lithuania arrived in Taiwan on Saturday morning, with the donation being seen by some as a symbol of closer ties between the two countries.
- Uganda Lifts Some COVID-19 Restrictions VOA 31 Jul 2021 -- Uganda has lifted some COVID-19 restrictions after 42 days, while others stay in place. The lockdown of schools remains until, the government says, some essential workers including health workers, security personnel, teachers, and those over 45 years old, are vaccinated.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|