28 July 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Designation of Al-Qa'ida-Linked Financial Facilitators US Dept. of State 28 Jul 2021 -- The United States is designating one Turkey-based al-Qa'ida financial facilitator for materially assisting al-Qa'ida and one Syria-based terrorist fundraiser and recruiter for providing material support to Hay'at Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS), a group linked with al-Qa'ida.
- Treasury Designates Al-Qa'ida-Linked Financial Facilitators in Turkey and Syria US Treasury 28 Jul 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated one Turkey-based al-Qa'ida financial facilitator for materially assisting al-Qa'ida. Additionally, OFAC designated one Syria-based terrorist fundraiser and recruiter for providing material support to Hay'et Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS).
- National Security Memorandum on Improving Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure Control Systems The White House 28 Jul 2021
- Background Press Call on Improving Cybersecurity of U.S. Critical Infrastructure The White House 28 Jul 2021
- Joint Statement by Secretaries Mayorkas and Raimondo on President Biden's New National Security Memorandum DHS 28 Jul 2021 -- Today, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas and Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo released a joint statement on President Biden's signing of a new National Security Memorandum, "Improving Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure Control Systems."
- Biden Warns That Cyberattacks Could Lead To 'A Real Shooting War' RFE/RL 28 Jul 2021 -- President Joe Biden warned that a major cyberattack on the United States could lead to an actual "shooting war," in comments that mentioned Russia and China as threats to U.S. national security.
- Kremlin Refutes Biden's Claims About Russia's Plan to Interfere in Elections Sputnik 28 Jul 2021 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov refutes US President Joe Biden's claims about Russia's alleged intention to interfere in the 2022 Congress elections via spreading disinformation.
- U.S., U.K., and Australia Issue Joint Cybersecurity Advisory CISA 28 Jul 2021 -- The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC), United Kingdom's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) released a joint cybersecurity advisory today, highlighting the top Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs) routinely exploited by cyber actors in 2020 and those vulnerabilities being widely exploited thus far in 2021.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- COVID-19 infections rise, Delta variant spreads to 132 countries UN News 28 Jul 2021 -- COVID-19 infections rose eight per cent last week to more than 3.8 million, the UN health agency reported on Wednesday.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with the World Health Organization Director-General Tedros US Dept. of State 28 Jul 2021
- Statement by Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Jamal Brown on the Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum for Updated Mask Guidelines for All DOD Installations and Other Facilities DoD 28 Jul 2021 -- Statement by Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Jamal Brown on the Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum for Updated Mask Guidelines for All DOD Installations and Other Facilities:
- DOD Directs Employees to Start Wearing Face Masks Again DoD News 28 Jul 2021 -- Following guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Defense Department has directed employees working in areas at high risk for transmission to begin using face masks again as a measure to prevent the continued spread of the COVID-19 virus, especially the fast-moving, highly-transmittable Delta variant.
- US CDC recommends indoor mask use for vaccinated people Press TV 28 Jul 2021 -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has demanded the vaccinated US citizens to wear masks to stop the rising number of Covid-19 infections in areas with high transmission rate.
- US Federal Workers Again Are Masking Up VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- Federal workers in Washington and some other cities Wednesday began wearing masks again at work amid a spread of the delta variant of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. Government employees are expected to be told Thursday that they will need to be vaccinated or submit to regular testing for the virus.
- NY Gov. Cuomo: All State Employees Must Get Vaccinated or Tested VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday all state employees must be vaccinated against the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 or be tested regularly, effective the first full week of September.
- More places enhance steps amid new Nanjing outbreak Global Times 28 Jul 2021 -- The COVID-19 outbreak in Nanjing, capital of East China's Jiangsu Province, continues to escalate at an unpredicted speed due to the high population flow of the airport and the strong transmission capacity of the Delta variant.
- Over 1.58 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 28 Jul 2021 -- More than 1.58 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Tuesday, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 55 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jul 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 55 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, including 48 in Jiangsu Province, three in Sichuan and two each in Liaoning and Yunnan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- UK begins donating millions of COVID-19 vaccines overseas UK FCDO 28 Jul 2021 -- Foreign Secretary announces the UK will begin to deliver 9 million COVID-19 vaccines around the world to help tackle the pandemic.
- UK to send Kenya 817,000 COVID vaccines as Prime Minister Johnson meets President Kenyatta UK FCDO 28 Jul 2021 -- The two leaders will toast the strengthened Kenya-UK Strategic Partnership and welcome the new five-year Defence Cooperation Agreement agreed during this visit.
- Management of COVID-19 India PIB 28 Jul 2021 -- The details of manpower deployed for supporting civil hospitals in management of COVID-19 is as follows:
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 44.61 Cr India PIB 28 Jul 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage exceeded 44.61 Cr yesterday
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 194 India PIB 28 Jul 2021 -- India's Cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage has achieved the landmark milestone of 45 crore (45,02,55,460), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 28 Jul 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 28 Jul 2021
- COVID-19 kills 303 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 28 Jul 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 89,782 with 303 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry said on Wednesday.
- South Korea Registers Highest-Ever Daily Rise in COVID-19 Cases Sputnik 28 Jul 2021 -- South Korea has recorded its highest-ever daily rise in COVID-19 cases for the past day, the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said in a statement.
- Olympic Host Japan Reports Record COVID-19 Infections VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- Japan on Wednesday reported over 9,500 new coronavirus infections, an all-time high, raising fresh questions about whether the ongoing Tokyo Olympics are worsening the country's pandemic situation.
- Taiwan adds 18 new domestic COVID-19 cases; no deaths reported CNA 28 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported 20 new cases of COVID-19, all but two of which were domestic infections, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Lithuania's COVID-19 vaccine donation to be delivered July 31 CNA 28 Jul 2021 -- A donation of 20,000 doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines from Lithuania is scheduled to arrive in Taiwan on July 31, Taiwan's representative office in Latvia said Wednesday.
- Appointments open in Taiwan for 2nd Moderna shots CNA 28 Jul 2021 -- People in Taiwan can now book an online appointment for their second dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, as the government resumed online appointments Tuesday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Rollout of domestic COVID-19 vaccine likely by August: CECC CNA 28 Jul 2021 -- A domestic COVID-19 vaccine that has been included as an option on the government's online vaccination appointment system is expected to be available by August, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said Wednesday.
- Desperate COVID Families Hoist Flags For Donations in Myanmar's Cities Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2021 -- Families stricken with COVID-19 are hoisting flags above their homes in Myanmar's most populated cities to solicit much-needed donations during a third wave of the coronavirus that critics say has been poorly mismanaged by the military regime.
- Coup, COVID-19 Deal Dual Blows to Myanmar's Economy Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2021 -- Violent political conflict since the February military coup and a deadly third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic have pummeled Myanmar's economy, with the World Bank predicting a double-digit contraction of GDP this year and many urban residents struggling with shrinking incomes and rising food prices.
- Sri Lanka receives largest COVID-19 vaccine donation from China People's Daily 28 Jul 2021 -- Sri Lanka on Tuesday received the largest COVID-19 vaccine donation from China which arrived here on board two chartered Sri Lankan Airlines flights, the Chinese Embassy to Sri Lanka said in a statement.
- Tanzania President Launches COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- Tanzania's President Samia Suluhu Hassan got vaccinated against the coronavirus Wednesday to kick off the country's first vaccination campaign. It's a sharp turnaround from her predecessor, the late John Magufuli, who claimed vaccines were dangerous and that prayer had saved Tanzanians from the pandemic.
- Sydney's Coronavirus Lockdown Extended Another Month VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- The five million residents of Sydney, Australia will remain under strict lockdown orders for another four weeks as the number of new COVID-19 infections continues to rise.
- COVID-19 Infections Surge in Fiji VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- Fiji's coronavirus crisis is worsening as reports of infections continue to soar in the South Pacific nation. The latest wave is occurring even though other parts of the Pacific have been spared the most severe impacts of the disease.
- Zimbabwe Opening Victoria Falls to Vaccinated Tourists VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- Zimbabwe is opening popular tourism destination Victoria Falls to visitors who have been vaccinated against COVID-19, in a move welcomed by the country's suffering tourism industry.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|