21 July 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Pelosi Rejects 2 Republican Nominees for Capitol Riot Probe VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday rejected two Republican nominees to sit on a committee investigating the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, suggesting they would harm the integrity of the probe.
- Jan. 6 panel chairman: Trump will be part of inquiry Press TV 21 Jul 2021 -- The chairman of the House select committee on Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol said the panel's investigation will include former US President Donald Trump.
- Man Arrested in Connection with Alleged Role in Twitter Hack US Dept. of Justice 21 Jul 2021 -- A citizen of the United Kingdom was arrested today in Estepona, Spain, by Spanish National Police pursuant to a U.S. request for his arrest on multiple charges in connection with the July 2020 hack of Twitter that resulted in the compromise of over 130 Twitter accounts, including those belonging to politicians, celebrities and companies.
- Suspect in 2020 High-profile Twitter Hack Arrested in Spain VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- A person allegedly involved in a high-profile Twitter hack in July 2020 has been arrested.
- U.S. Judge Sentences Notorious Russian Spammer To Time Served RFE/RL 21 Jul 2021 -- A Russian hacker considered to be one of the world's most notorious spammers was sentenced by a U.S. judge on July 20 to time already served in pretrial detention.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO Chief Warns About Likelihood of More Dangerous COVID-19 Variants Sputnik 21 Jul 2021 -- The World Health Organisation (WHO) chief warned on Wednesday that mankind may soon see a spike of an even more contagious and dangerous coronavirus mutation than the incumbent Delta variant.
- Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Shown Less Effective Against Variants VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- A study suggests Johnson & Johnson's one-shot COVID-19 vaccine may be less effective against the emerging variants of the coronavirus.
- US Extends Closure of Land Borders with Canada, Mexico VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- The United States has extended the closure of land borders it shares with Canada and Mexico to non-essential travel through Aug. 21, the Department of Homeland Security announced Wednesday.
- Report: China Considering Foreign Booster Shot to Improve Efficacy of Its Vaccines VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- China is reportedly considering using a foreign vaccine as a booster shot for people who have been fully inoculated with Chinese vaccines such as Sinovac and Sinopharm.
- Update: Nanjing launches citywide testing after 17 airport workers test positive Global Times 21 Jul 2021 -- Nanjing, capital city of East China's Jiangsu Province, on Wednesday launched citywide nucleic acid testing for COVID-19 after 17 airport workers tested positive. Experts pointed out the possibility that this small-scale outbreak arose from an imported virus source, and suggested high-risk group people be given a booster shot.
- Nearly 1.48 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 21 Jul 2021 -- Nearly 1.48 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in China as of Tuesday, the National Health Commission announced Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Jul 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported two new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Yunnan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- 4 areas in east China city raise COVID-19 risk levels People's Daily 21 Jul 2021 -- Four areas in the city of Nanjing, east China's Jiangsu Province, where nine airport workers tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, heightened their COVID-19 risk levels from low to medium on Wednesday, according to the municipal government.
- China's Wuhan administers over 17 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses People's Daily 21 Jul 2021 -- Wuhan, the capital of central China's Hubei Province once hard hit by COVID-19, has administered over 17.1 million doses of coronavirus vaccines as of 5 p.m. Tuesday, according to the municipal health commission.
- Over 90 pct of adults in Beijing fully vaccinated against COVID-19 People's Daily 21 Jul 2021 -- More than 17.6 million people aged 18 and above in Beijing, about 90.6 percent of the city's adult population, had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of Tuesday noon, local authorities said.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 41.54 Cr India PIB 21 Jul 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 41.54 crores
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 187 India PIB 21 Jul 2021 -- India's cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage has exceeded 41.76 crore (41,76,56,752), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 21 Jul 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 21 Jul 2021
- COVID-19 kills 213 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 21 Jul 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 87,837 with 213 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Taiwan reports 25 new COVID-19 cases, latest on vaccine appointments CNA 21 Jul 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday said Taiwan recorded 25 new cases of COVID-19 and that 1.21 million people have made appointments to get their first COVID-19 vaccine shot between Friday and next Thursday.
- Tzu Chi has signed contract to buy 5 million doses of BNT vaccine CNA 21 Jul 2021 -- Tzu Chi Foundation said Wednesday that it has signed a deal to purchase 5 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which it noted will be donated to government authorities in charge of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Taiwan to expand COVID vaccination program to 12-18 age group CNA 21 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan's government said Wednesday that its COVID-19 vaccination rollout will extend to young people aged 12-18 when it receives a pledged donation of 15 million Pfizer-BioNTech doses from three private entities.
- Taiwan mulls mix-and-match trial with local COVID-19 vaccine CNA 21 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan is considering conducting a clinical trial that would test the viability of mixing a newly approved locally made COVID-19 vaccine with imported ones, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Myanmar on Brink of COVID-19 Catastrophe Due to Junta's Lack of Leadership: Medical Experts Radio Free Asia 21 Jul 2021 -- A failure to quickly control soaring COVID-19 infections and deaths amid a third wave of the coronavirus in Myanmar could bring the country to its knees, medical experts said Wednesday, while blaming the junta for allowing the national healthcare system to disintegrate after it seized power in February.
- Pfizer, BioNTech Agree to Produce COVID-19 Vaccine for Africa VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- Pfizer and BioNTech have reached an agreement with a South African company to produce their COVID-19 vaccine for distribution in Africa, the biotechnology companies said Wednesday.
- Zimbabwe Orders Government Workers Vaccinated Against COVID VOA 21 Jul 2021 -- Zimbabwe has ordered all government workers to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, or lose pay if they refuse. But one of the largest government worker groups is resisting compulsory vaccinations, while another is calling for compliance with the directive.
- Veteran Myanmar Politician Nyan Win Dies in Detention of COVID-19 Radio Free Asia 20 Jul 2021 -- Nyan Win, the spokesman for Myanmar's ousted National League for Democracy (NLD), died Tuesday after contracting COVID-19 in prison, prompting condemnation from observers who said the military had killed the veteran politician by detaining him during the deadly coronavirus pandemic.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|