19 July 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Guantanamo Bay Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 19 Jul 2021 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Abdul Latif Nasir from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on Guantanamo Bay The White House 19 Jul 2021
- US Releases Guantanamo Bay Detainee to Morocco VOA 19 Jul 2021 -- The United States on Monday released Abdul Latif Nasser, a one-time Taliban commander in Afghanistan, from its detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, sending him to his native Morocco after holding him for 19 years.
- Transfer of GTMO Detainee to Morocco US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2021 -- The United States commends the Kingdom of Morocco for its collaboration in repatriating Abdul Latif Nasir, a Moroccan citizen who had been held at the Guantanamo Bay Detention Facility.
- US transfers Guantanamo inmate to Morocco; first under Biden Press TV 19 Jul 2021 -- The Biden administration has transferred its first detainee out of the notorious military prison at Guantanamo Bay, the Pentagon said.
- White House: Biden Aims to Close Guantanamo Bay Prison, No Timeline Set Sputnik 19 Jul 2021 -- The Biden administration is aiming to close down the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for good as it works to transfer its remaining detainees out of the facility, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during a news conference on Monday.
- Responding to the PRC's Destabilizing and Irresponsible Behavior in Cyberspace US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2021 -- The United States and countries around the world are holding the People's Republic of China (PRC) accountable for its pattern of irresponsible, disruptive, and destabilizing behavior in cyberspace, which poses a major threat to our economic and national security.
- The United States, Joined by Allies and Partners, Attributes Malicious Cyber Activity and Irresponsible State Behavior to the People's Republic of China The White House 19 Jul 2021
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on Malicious Cyber Activity Attributable to the People's Republic of China The White House 19 Jul 2021
- China Spy Agency Blamed by US, Others of Using Contract Hackers VOA 19 Jul 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden said he is to receive a detailed report Tuesday about the role China's civilian intelligence agency played in using ransomware to extort American businesses.
- US for first time accuses China of cyberattacks, including Microsoft hack Press TV 19 Jul 2021 -- The United States has formally accused the Chinese government of widespread destabilizing activities in cyberspace, including through a massive breach of Microsoft email systems used by many of the world's big companies.
- US Forms Global Coalition to Shame China on Malicious Cyber Activities Radio Free Asia 19 Jul 2021 -- The U.S. has formed a coalition with its allies and other partners to identify and condemn malicious cyber activities orchestrated by China's Ministry of State Security (MSS), the White House said Monday, warning it is weighing additional measures to hold Beijing accountable for its actions.
- China: Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the European Union urging Chinese authorities to take action against malicious cyber activities undertaken from its territory EC/CEU 19 Jul 2021 -- Today, the EU and its member states, together with partners, expose malicious cyber activities that significantly affected our economy, security, democracy and society at large. The EU and its member states assess these malicious cyber activities to have been undertaken from the territory of China.
- EU Commission slams use of spyware against journalists as 'completely unacceptable' Press TV 19 Jul 2021 -- The European Commission has denounced as "completely unacceptable" the use of spyware programs against journalists and individuals working in the media, following reports that an Israeli spyware application was used to hack the smartphones of journalists, government officials and rights activists worldwide.
- Statement by the North Atlantic Council in solidarity with those affected by recent malicious cyber activities including the Microsoft Exchange Server compromise NATO 19 Jul 2021
- Biden Admin Accuses China of Perpetrating Massive Microsoft Exchange Email Hack Sputnik 19 Jul 2021 -- US intelligence agencies have released a joint advisory accusing China of malicious cyber activities and exposing more than 50 tactics allegedly used by hackers thought to be affiliated with Beijing.
- UK accuses China of 'hacking' Microsoft Exchange servers Press TV 19 Jul 2021 -- In yet another rhetorical escalation against China, the UK has accused the rising world power of "systematic cyber sabotage".
- UK and allies hold Chinese state responsible for a pervasive pattern of hacking UK FCDO 19 Jul 2021 -- UK joins likeminded partners to confirm Chinese state-backed actors were responsible for gaining access to computer networks via Microsoft Exchange servers.
- Four Chinese Nationals Working with the Ministry of State Security Charged with Global Computer Intrusion Campaign Targeting Intellectual Property and Confidential Business Information, Including Infectious Disease Research US Dept. of Justice 19 Jul 2021 -- Indictment Alleges Three Defendants Were Officers in the Hainan State Security Department (HSSD), a provincial arm of China's Ministry of State Security (MSS)
- US Charges 4 Chinese Nationals in Hacking Campaign VOA 19 Jul 2021 -- The U.S. Justice Department on Monday announced charges against three Chinese intelligence officers and a Chinese computer hacker in connection with an unlawful cyber campaign that pilfered trade secrets and confidential information from dozens of companies, universities and government entities in the United States and 11 other countries between 2011 and 2018.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Fewer women than men will regain work during COVID-19 recovery: ILO UN News 19 Jul 2021 -- Fewer women will regain jobs lost to the COVID-19 pandemic during the recovery period, than men, according to a new study released on Monday by the UN's labour agency.
- Nearly 1.46 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 19 Jul 2021 -- Nearly 1.46 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in China as of Sunday, the National Health Commission announced on Monday.
- Nearly 1.45 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 19 Jul 2021 -- Nearly 1.45 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in China as of Saturday, the National Health Commission announced on Sunday.
- Britain Lifts COVID Restrictions VOA 19 Jul 2021 -- Residents in Britain are celebrating the end of coronavirus lockdown restrictions Monday, a day being called Freedom Day.
- UK PM, chancellor to self-isolate after health secretary tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 19 Jul 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak will enter quarantine as normal after contact with Health Secretary Sajid Javid who tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday, Downing Street said Sunday.
- Drug Deaths In Russia Spike 60 Percent During Pandemic RFE/RL 19 Jul 2021 -- Deaths in Russia from drug-related causes jumped 60 percent in 2020 compared to a year earlier, mirroring trends elsewhere in the world during the coronavirus pandemic.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 40.64 Cr India PIB 19 Jul 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded40.64crores
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 19 Jul 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 19 Jul 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 185 India PIB 19 Jul 2021 -- In a landmark achievement, India's cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage has surpassed 41 crore (41,13,55,665), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- Financial assistance for developing COVID-19 vaccine India PIB 19 Jul 2021 -- The Government has provided financial support to public research institutes and industry for COVID-19 Vaccine Development by the way of the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, through its Public Sector Undertaking, the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)
- COVID-19 kills 213 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 19 Jul 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 87,374 with 213 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Monday.
- Taiwan reports 21 new COVID cases, restrictions to be lifted gradually CNA 19 Jul 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Monday said that Taiwan recorded 21 new cases of COVID-19, and that COVID-19 restrictions imposed under the Level 3 alert will be lifted gradually if the alert level is lowered next week.
- Over 8.86 million people registered for COVID-19 vaccine CNA 19 Jul 2021 -- Nearly 8.87 million people in Taiwan aged 18 or over were registered to get a COVID-19 vaccine through the government's online vaccination appointment system by a Monday noon deadline for the third round of registration, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Interview: 'Up to 400,000 Lives Could be Lost' Without Prompt Action by Myanmar Junta Radio Free Asia 19 Jul 2021 -- Dr. Zaw Wai Soe, leader of the COVID-19 taskforce in Myanmar before the Feb. 1 military coup d'√©tat overthrew the country's democratically elected government, serves as health minister of the National Unity Government (NUG), the three-month-old shadow cabinet set up to oppose the military junta. The former rector of the Yangon Institute of Medicine spoke the Khin Khin Ei of RFA's Myanmar Service about the NUG's approach to the COVID-19 crisis and mistakes it says the military regime is committing that threaten the country's 54 million people..
- Myanmar's Shadow Government Warns One-Tenth of Population Could Die in COVID-19 Third Wave Radio Free Asia 19 Jul 2021 -- Myanmar's shadow government warned Monday that a tenth of the country's population of 54 million could die if the military junta mismanages the battle with a third wave of COVID-19, as dire shortages of oxygen caused daily death tolls to spike and the United Nations warned of devastation.
- U.S. Donates 2 Million Coronavirus Vaccine Doses To Ukraine RFE/RL 19 Jul 2021 -- Ukraine has received 2 million COVID-19 vaccine doses from the United States through the international COVAX program.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|