01 July 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Four Charged with Attacks on Media During Capitol Riot VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- U.S. law enforcement authorities in recent days have charged four people with various offenses targeting journalists, including theft and destruction of their camera gear as the journalists covered the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
- NSA, Partners Release Cybersecurity Advisory on Brute Force Global Cyber Campaign NSA Central Security Service 01 Jul 2021 -- The National Security Agency (NSA), Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) released a Cybersecurity Advisory today exposing malicious cyber activities by Russian military intelligence against U.S. and global organizations, starting from mid-2019 and likely ongoing. This advisory is being released as part of NSA's routine and continuing cybersecurity mission to warn network defenders of nation state threats.
- U.S., British Security Agencies Expose Russia's Global 'Brute Force' Hacking Campaign RFE/RL 01 Jul 2021 -- U.S. and British security agencies have exposed "brute force" methods they say have been used by the Russian military-intelligence agency known as the GRU to conduct malicious cyberactivities against hundreds of government and private organizations.
- US, Britain Warn of Russian 'Brute Force' Cyber Campaign VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- The United States and Britain are sounding another alarm about Russian activity in cyberspace, accusing the Kremlin of repeatedly trying to smash its way into the critical systems of government agencies, defense contractors, universities and even political parties.
- Chinese Hackers Attacked Afghan Council Network, Cybersecurity Firm Says VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- As part of a cyberespionage operation targeting Central Asian countries, Chinese hackers recently sought to breach the computer networks of Afghanistan's National Security Council, researchers at cybersecurity firm Check Point reported.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO Says Africa Facing Third COVID Wave, Driven by Variants VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) warned Thursday that the African continent is facing a surging third wave of COVID-19 cases, driven by new and faster variants of the coronavirus that causes it.
- Africa, Europe Facing COVID-19 Surges Driven by Variants VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- The World Health Organization's (WHO) African region is facing a serious third wave of COVID-19 cases, driven by variants throughout the continent.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 01 Jul 2021
- U.S. COVID-19 Global Response and Recovery Framework The White House 01 Jul 2021
- Over 1.24 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 01 Jul 2021 -- More than 1.24 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China as of Wednesday, the National Health Commission said on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new COVID-19 cases, all imported People's Daily 01 Jul 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 12 imported COVID-19 cases but no new locally transmitted cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- G20 members urged to jointly fight COVID People's Daily 01 Jul 2021 -- State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Tuesday that China has provided over 450 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to nearly 100 countries so far, and called on the Group of 20 to "stay true to unity, teamwork and play a leading role in the global fight against the pandemic".
- WHO warns Europe to be "Delta dominant" by August, calls for more vaccines take-up People's Daily 01 Jul 2021 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Europe Hans Kluge on Thursday cited increased mixing, travel, gatherings, and easing of social restrictions as the main culprits ending a ten-week decline in the number of COVID-19 cases in Europe.
- EU Launches Digital COVID-19 Travel Certificate VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- The European Union has formally launched its digital COVID-19 certificate, designed to make travel safe and easy for the fully vaccinated within its member nations -- but at least one airline says the app has run into issues on its first day of use.
- Moscow Starts Booster Vaccine Campaign Amid Surge In Cases RFE/RL 01 Jul 2021 -- Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has announced the beginning of a booster vaccine campaign amid efforts to contain a surge in coronavirus cases in Russia blamed on the highly infectious Delta variant.
- Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Effective Against Argentine COVID-19 Strains, Scientists Say Sputnik 01 Jul 2021 -- A study by Argentine scientists showed that the use of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine causes the production of antibodies against the gamma (Brazil), alpha (UK) and lambda (the Andes, South America) variants, which are common in Argentina.
- India's COVID19 Vaccination Coverage increases to 33.57 cr India PIB 01 Jul 2021 -- India's cumulative vaccination coverage exceeded 33.57 crore yesterday
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 167 India PIB 01 Jul 2021 -- India's cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage reached nearly 34 crore (33,96,28,356), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 01 Jul 2021
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 01 Jul 2021
- COVID-19 kills 125 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 01 Jul 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 84,389 with 125 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Taiwan reports 50 new COVID-19 cases, link in Delta cases confirmed CNA 01 Jul 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday that Taiwan recorded 50 new cases of COVID-19, and the infection source of two patients infected with the Delta variant of the virus in Pingtung County has been confirmed.
- Taiwan to test all travelers for COVID-19 on arrival CNA 01 Jul 2021 -- Starting Friday, Taiwan will administer COVID-19 PCR tests to all arriving travelers, and will require them to test negative two more times before the end of their quarantine, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Government, Tzu Chi reach consensus on BNT vaccine purchase CNA 01 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan's government has assembled a task force to facilitate Tzu Chi Foundation's proposed procurement of Pfizer-BioNTech (BNT) COVID-19 vaccines, following a meeting earlier in the week between representatives of the two sides, a Cabinet spokesman said Thursday.
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Publicly Blames Senior Officials for COVID-19 Failures Radio Free Asia 01 Jul 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un blamed senior ruling party officials for their failures in stopping the spread of COVID-19, days after local sources told RFA that authorities had closed all schools nationwide until the end of the year, despite claims that the country remains completely virus-free.
- South African Firm to Produce COVID-19 Vaccine for African Countries VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- The South African pharmaceutical company Aspen has begun production of hundreds of millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccine for African countries. To speed up the process, the company is getting a large funding boost from the U.S. government.
- South Africa reviewing data of Chinese, Russian vaccines for registration People's Daily 01 Jul 2021 -- South Africa's national health products regulator is reviewing the data relating to Chinese and Russian COVID-19 vaccines including Sinovac, Sinopharm and Sputnik for registration, a necessary procedure before they can be procured, a health official has said.
- Social protection 'lifeline' during COVID, depends on where you live UN News 01 Jul 2021 -- Although the COVID-19 pandemic had triggered the roll-out of an "unprecedented number" of new and often innovative social protection measures, it was unable to stem a widening gap between rich and poor countries, according to a new UN report released on Thursday.
- Amid Rising Violence, Afghans Are Pummeled By New Wave Of COVID-19 RFE/RL Gandhara 01 Jul 2021 -- A catastrophe is unfolding in Afghanistan, where a COVID-19 surge has overwhelmed a public already caught in the cross fire as government forces battle rapidly advancing Taliban militants.
- Delta variant drives Africa COVID threat to 'whole new levelĀ“: WHO warns; 'dominant' in Europe by August UN News 01 Jul 2021 -- With cases now doubling in Africa every three weeks, the Delta variant of COVID-19 has spread to 16 countries and it is present in three of the five nations reporting the highest caseloads. The variant is the most contagious yet - up to 60% more transmissible than other variants.
- Cambodia Backs Vaccinations as COVID-19 Case Load Soars VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- Amid rising caseloads of coronavirus infections as it emerges from a strict COVID lockdown, Cambodia is pinning its hopes on a vaccination rollout that will help the nation reach herd immunity, even as the nation confronts unique challenges that could hamper that effort.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|