Ukraine Snake Island Flag - Buy it Here!

Homeland Security

Global Times

Guangzhou reports no new COVID-19 cases for first time since recent resurgence, risk levels of some regions downgraded

Global Times

By Global Times Published: Jun 16, 2021 03:24 PM

South China's Guangzhou reported no new COVID-19 cases for the first time since the recent resurgence that started on May 21, with the risk levels of some regions downgraded and more communities being lifted from lockdown.

No new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported on Tuesday, according to the Guangdong provincial health commission on Wednesday.

"Although this is the first time there have been zero increases in this round of the epidemic, there is still some possibility of subsequent sporadic cases in the coming days, and we still need to do our best to investigate and strictly carry out prevention work," Chen Bin, a deputy director and spokesperson of the Guangzhou City Health Commission, said at a press conference on Wednesday.

Starting from Wednesday, a medium-risk area in Haizhu district was downgraded to a low-risk area, according to the epidemic control and prevention headquarters of the city, while the risk levels of other areas remain unchanged.

Some areas under lockdown have been lifted and reopened as the epidemic situation eases. Six areas from three districts were approved for lifting of lockdown on Wednesday, bringing the number of areas in this city to be lifted from lockdown to 17 as of press time.

As part of scientific epidemic prevention and control measures amid the latest coronavirus surge, a total of 11 areas in five districts in Guangzhou were lifted from lockdown on Monday.

Guangzhou has two high-risk areas, both in Liwan district, and 11 medium-risk areas, three in Liwan district, two in Baiyun district, three in Nansha district, one in Yuexiu district, one in Haizhu district, and one in Panyu district.

Ma Wenjun, an expert from the Guangzhou disease control and prevention center, predicted in an article published on Saturday that the latest round of infections in the city would end around June 20, and the cases reported in the latest round would be limited to 180.

Guangzhou reported its first case on May 21. Since then, the city has recorded a total of 147 patients. The outbreak in Guangzhou was caused by the Delta variant strain first found in India, which has the strongest transmission ability among the known variants. However, due to the recent implementation of strict prevention and control strategies and measures, the epidemic situation has been alleviated in the city.

Chen said that "zero new cases" does not mean zero risk, and that the reopening of some lockdown areas does not mean prevention and control measures would be relaxed.

"The next period will be the critical moment for fighting against the epidemic, and we must not relax," Chen said.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list