24 June 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Statement of Attorney General Merrick B. Garland on the Investigation into the January 6th Attack on the Capitol US Dept. of Justice 24 Jun 2021 -- U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland's statement on the investigation into the January 6th Attack on the Capitol:
- High-Level Member of Hacking Group Sentenced to Prison for Scheme that Compromised Tens of Millions of Debit and Credit Cards US Dept. of Justice 24 Jun 2021 -- A Ukrainian national was sentenced today in the Western District of Washington to seven years in prison for his role in the criminal work of the hacking group FIN7. The defendant was also ordered by the court to pay restitution in the amount of $2,500,000.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Fauci: Delta Variant Accounts for 20% of New US COVID-19 Cases, May Become Dominant Strain Soon Sputnik 24 Jun 2021 -- B.1.617.2, also known as the Delta variant, was first detected in India and has more recently grown to become one of the more contagious strains of SARS-CoV-2, the deadly virus that causes COVID-19. Additionally, medical officials have indicated that the variant is much more resistant to vaccines than other strains.
- New study suggests COVID-19 prevalence in U.S. far exceeded early known cases People's Daily 24 Jun 2021 -- A new study of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) showed the prevalence of COVID-19 in the United States during spring and summer of 2020 far exceeded the known number of cases, and that infection affected the country unevenly.
- China delivers more Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines to Philippines People's Daily 24 Jun 2021 -- China delivered on Thursday an additional batch of Sinovac CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccines to the Philippines.
- Over 1.09 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 24 Jun 2021 -- Over 1.09 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in China as of Wednesday, the National Health Commission said on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland sees no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Jun 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 16 imported COVID-19 cases but no new locally transmitted cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- Xi says China to continue supporting Fiji's COVID-19 fight PLA Daily 24 Jun 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said Thursday that China is ready to continue providing vaccines and other support for Fiji's fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UN chief urges European Parliament to support COVID vaccines for all UN News 24 Jun 2021 -- The European Union (EU) must use its leverage to ensure people everywhere have access to COVID-19 vaccines, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Thursday.
- The Balkan State With Almost No Vaccines And No Idea How Many Of Its Citizens Are Vaccinated RFE/RL 24 Jun 2021 -- Bosnia-Herzegovina has dug itself into a COVID-19 hole.
- Russia's Buryatia Orders COVID-19 Restrictions RFE/RL 24 Jun 2021 -- Buryatia in eastern Siberia has ordered a lockdown to help slow the spread of coronavirus, and France is adding Russia to its "red list" of countries from which travel is severely restricted because it is experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases.
- India's COVID19 Vaccination Coverage crosses the landmark of 30 cr India PIB 24 Jun 2021 -- In a milestone achievement, India's cumulative vaccination coverage has exceeded 30 Crores yesterday
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 160 India PIB 24 Jun 2021 -- India's cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage exceeded 30.72 crore (30,72,46,600), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 24 Jun 2021
- COVID-19 kills 144 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 24 Jun 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 83,473 with 144 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Rouhani says national vaccination against COVID-19 will be accelerated IRNA 24 Jun 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday that once the import problems are solved and the necessary permits for domestically developed vaccines are issued, the national vaccination against the coronavirus disease will be accelerated.
- Taiwan reports 130 new COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths (update) CNA 24 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Thursday reported 130 new cases of COVID-19--129 domestic infections, one imported case--and six deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan extends level-3 COVID-19 alert to July 12 People's Daily 24 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan will extend its level-3 COVID-19 alert by two more weeks until July 12 in response to the continued risk posed by local transmission of cases, the island's disease monitoring agency said Wednesday.
- COVID pandemic fuelling major increase in drug use worldwide: UN report UN News 24 Jun 2021 -- Around 275 million people used drugs worldwide in the last year of unprecedented upheaval caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, up by 22 per cent from 2010. That's among the key findings of the latest annual report released on Thursday by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), which also provides an overview of global drug markets, as well as their impact on people's health and livelihoods.
- 91 countries now offer COVID-19 vaccinations to refugees, says UNHCR UN News 24 Jun 2021 -- UN refugee agency UNHCR, on Thursday welcomed the growing number of countries that have offered COVID-19 vaccines to refugees before urging others to do the same.
- Southern African Leaders Under Pressure to Ramp Up COVID Jabs VOA 24 Jun 2021 -- Amnesty International and 27 groups in southern Africa are calling for a faster pace of vaccinations as a new wave of coronavirus infections sweeps through the region.
- WHO: Africa Facing Rapidly Spreading Third COVID Wave VOA 24 Jun 2021 -- The World Health Organization said Africa is facing a third wave of COVID-19.
- Third Coronavirus Wave in Myanmar Accelerates Infection Rate as Cities Reissue Stay-At-Home Orders Radio Free Asia 24 Jun 2021 -- More than 3,000 people in Myanmar have died after contracting COVID-19 as infections from the third wave of the pandemic increased the strife-torn country's total confirmed caseload to nearly 150,000, the military government announced this week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|