20 June 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- W. Africa suffered 700 terrorist attacks, 2,000 deaths since 2020: official People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- West Africa has suffered a total of 700 terrorist attacks resulting in 2,000 civilian and military deaths from 2020 to now, said an Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) official on Saturday.
- Uzbek Religious Students Recalled From Egypt, Turkey In New Crackdown RFE/RL 20 Jun 2021 -- Uzbekistan is once again worrying about where some of its citizens are studying Islam and officials in the country and its embassies in Egypt and Turkey are taking measures to ease these concerns.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Delta variant infecting mounting number of people in rural Kansas and Missouri Press TV 20 Jun 2021 -- The deadly Delta coronavirus variant is infecting an increasing number of people in rural Kansas and Missouri.
- China passes 1b shots mark; eyes herd immunity by Dec Global Times 20 Jun 2021 -- China on Sunday became the first country in the world to have administered one billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines. Such achievement is believed to be a "milestone" but not "surprising" given China's thorough vaccination plan and effective implementation system.
- The China Speed: 1 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- More than 1 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of June 19, according to the China's National Health Commission (NHC).
- China administers 1 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- More than 1 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Saturday, as the country is pushing ahead with the largest vaccination drive in the history of New China.
- Chinese mainland sees no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 23 imported COVID-19 cases but no new locally transmitted cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Sunday.
- UK reports over 10,000 COVID cases for third consecutive day on Saturday People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- Britain reported more than 10,000 coronavirus cases for a third consecutive day on Saturday as there has been a 79 percent rise in the highly contagious Delta variant in the country in the past week.
- Third wave of coronavirus "definitely under way" in UK: scientist People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- A new wave of coronavirus infections is "definitely under way" in England due to the Delta variant first identified in India, a British government advisory scientist said Saturday.
- Andy Burnham and Nicola Sturgeon clash over Covid travel ban Press TV 20 Jun 2021 -- An angry row has erupted between Greater Manchester mayor, Andy Burnham, and Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, over the latter's decision to impose a travel ban on parts of north-western England.
- Russia Warns Of New Restrictions As It Reels From Surging Cases RFE/RL 20 Jun 2021 -- Russia's labor minister has said workers who fail to get the COVID-19 vaccine in regions where the shot has been made compulsory could be forced to take unpaid leave.
- India's COVID-19 tally rises to 29,881,965 People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- India's COVID-19 tally rose to 29,881,965 on Sunday, with as many as 58,419 new cases recorded in the past 24 hours, said the federal health ministry.
- India reports less than 60,000 daily cases after 81 days; 58,419 Daily New Cases reported in the last 24 hours India PIB 20 Jun 2021 -- In a significant development, India has reported less than 60,000 daily cases after 81 days
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 20 Jun 2021 -- As part of the nationwide vaccination drive, Government of India has been supporting the States and UTs by providing them COVID Vaccines free of cost
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 20 Jun 2021 -- India's Active Caseload declines to 7,29,243
- COVID-19 kills 111 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 20 Jun 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 82,965 with 111 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Sunday.
- Iran approves emergency use of two domestically-produced COVID-19 vaccines IRNA 20 Jun 2021 -- Iran has approved the emergency use of two domestically-produced COVID-19 vaccines as part of efforts to contain a recent surge in the disease.
- Iran joining COVID vaccine producing countries with COVIran Barekat: Senior official tells Press TV Press TV 20 Jun 2021 -- A senior Iranian health official tells Press TV that the Islamic Republic is joining the consortium of countries around the world developing vaccines to fight the deadly coronavirus disease by producing its first domestic COVID-19 vaccine, known as COVIran Barekat.
- S.Korea reports 429 more COVID-19 cases, 151,149 in total People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- South Korea reported 429 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Saturday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 151,149.
- Level 3 COVID alert to remain despite drop in new cases to 109: CECC CNA 20 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday reported 109 new cases of COVID-19, marking its eighth straight day of daily case numbers below 200, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- U.S. donation of 2.5 million Moderna doses arrives in Taiwan CNA 20 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday received a shipment of 2.5 million doses of Moderna vaccine donated by the United States government, obtaining its single largest batch of COVID-19 vaccines in a single day since the pandemic began early last year.
- President thanks U.S. for Moderna COVID-19 vaccine donation CNA 20 Jun 2021 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) on Saturday thanked the United States for donating 2.5 million doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to Taiwan, saying that the U.S. is a "true friend" who supports the Taiwanese people.
- US Sending 2.5 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses to Taiwan VOA 20 Jun 2021 -- The United States says it is sending 2.5 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to Taiwan, substantially increasing its initial promise of 750,000 shots.
- Brazil tops 500,000 deaths from COVID-19 People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- Brazil surpassed half a million COVID-19 deaths after registering 2,301 more deaths from the fatal disease in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said Saturday.
- Brazil Records More Than 500,000 COVID-19 Deaths VOA 20 Jun 2021 -- Brazil has become the second country, behind the United States, to record more than a half-million COVID-19 deaths, a Health Ministry official said Saturday.
- Colombia reports 589 new COVID-19 deaths People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- Colombia reported 589 new deaths from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, raising the national death toll to 99,335, the country's ministry of health and social protection said Saturday.
- Israel reports COVID-19 outbreak in 2 schools, 45 students infected People's Daily 20 Jun 2021 -- The Israeli Ministry of Health on Saturday reported a COVID-19 outbreak in two schools in the town of Binyamina, 60 km north of Tel Aviv.
- Tanzania Authorities Warn of 3rd Wave of COVID-19 VOA 20 Jun 2021 -- Tanzania Authorities Warn of Third Wave of COVID-19 A few days after Tanzania expressed its interest in joining the COVAX global vaccine-sharing facility, the government warned citizens of a third wave of COVID-19 and directed that all precautions to be taken, including the wearing of face masks. Authorities say cases are on the rise in all bordering countries, including Uganda, and that there are indicators the disease may again hit the country.
- Uganda Imposes 42-Day COVID-19 Lockdown VOA 20 Jun 2021 -- Uganda has reimposed a 42-day lockdown as coronavirus infections surge in the East African country. President Yoweri Museveni said in his Friday night address that he was tired of receiving calls about deaths, but critics say he presented a wish list that would instead worsen the situation for Ugandans.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|