10 June 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Cyber Regulation Could Be Coming Following Spate of Hacks, Ransomware Attacks VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- The United States may soon look to regulate private companies, mandating higher standards for cybersecurity following a series of damaging hacks and ransomware attacks against key firms and critical infrastructure.
- Top US meat processor admits it paid $11m in ransom to hackers Press TV 10 Jun 2021 -- Meatpacker JBS USA said it paid $11 million worth of bitcoin to cyber-criminals after a hack disrupted its North American and Australian operations.
- White House Launches Broader Scrutiny of Foreign Tech VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- An executive order signed by President Joe Biden this week dropped a Trump-era measure that barred Americans from downloading TikTok and several other Chinese smartphone apps. But analysts say the order also broadens the scrutiny of foreign-controlled technology.
- Slilpp Marketplace Disrupted in International Cyber Operation US Dept. of Justice 10 Jun 2021 -- Slilpp was a Marketplace for Allegedly Stolen Online Account Login Credentials, Offering Over 80 Million Stolen Credentials for Over 1,400 Victim Providers Worldwide
- More Arrests Made in Capitol Attack; FBI Mum on Whether Trump Is Being Investigated VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- Nearly 500 supporters of former President Donald Trump have now been charged in the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, and the number of arrests is growing, FBI Director Christopher Wray said Thursday, while rejecting charges by Democratic lawmakers that the FBI failed to see the attack coming.
- Asia-Pacific Drug Trade Thriving as Gangs Make Billions in Profits, UN Says VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- Asia's drug lords have established new manufacturing hubs and maritime trafficking routes to ramp up the supply of methamphetamine across the Asia-Pacific, the United Nations crime agency said Thursday. The value of the drug trade in the region is estimated between $30.3 billion and $61.4 billion, the agency said.
- UN: Southeast Asian Meth Trade Grew in 2020 Despite COVID-19 Controls Radio Free Asia 10 Jun 2021 -- The illegal trade in methamphetamines grew robustly in Southeast and East Asia last year despite cross-border and movement restrictions imposed because of the coronavirus outbreak, the United Nations counter-narcotics agency said in a new report released Thursday.
- Wife of "El Chapo" Pleads Guilty to Drug Trafficking and Money Laundering US Dept. of Justice 10 Jun 2021 -- The wife of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman Loera, leader of the Mexican drug trafficking organization known as the Sinaloa Cartel, pleaded guilty today to charges related to international drug trafficking, money laundering, and a criminal violation of the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (the Kingpin Act).
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO Official Urges Caution as Nations Reopen VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- The World Health Organization's regional director for Europe urged caution Thursday, as 36 of the region's 53 countries begin to ease COVID-19 restrictions, saying the continent's vaccination rate is insufficient to prevent a resurgence.
- Remarks by President Biden on the COVID-19 Vaccination Program and the Effort to Defeat COVID-19 Globally The White House 10 Jun 2021
- Biden Says US Will Donate 500 Million COVID Vaccines to World VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- Ahead of the G-7 Summit in Britain, U.S. President Joe Biden formally announced his administration is donating 500 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine for 92 low- and middle-income countries.
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on the President's Historic COVID-19 Vaccine Announcement The White House 10 Jun 2021
- China studies booster shots of COVID-19 vaccine as it administers 820m doses nationwide Global Times 10 Jun 2021 -- Half a year after the start of mass vaccination in China, researches are planning on giving recipients a booster dose to enhance protection.
- Vaccination will become 'trend' for air passengers as airports briefly issue requirement Global Times 10 Jun 2021 -- Chinese authorities and airlines are exploring ways to include vaccination as a requirement for domestic travel, as seen by some airlines that issued notices requiring passengers traveling from epidemic-hit Guangdong Province to Beijing to accept at least one dose before getting aboard.
- Over 824 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 10 Jun 2021 -- Over 824.8 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of Wednesday, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports six new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jun 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported six new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, all in Guangdong Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- China's Guangdong reports 6 locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jun 2021 -- China's Guangdong Province registered six locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, according to the provincial health committee.
- Macao sees 30-pct drop in entries, exits due to tightened border control over COVID-19 People's Daily 10 Jun 2021 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) registered around 253,400 entries and exits at the customs on Tuesday, the first day since the SAR tightened border control with neighboring Guangdong Province due to the COVID-19 epidemic situation in Guangdong.
- Macao reports new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 10 Jun 2021 -- China's Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) on Wednesday reported one new imported COVID-19 case, bringing the SAR's total number of confirmed cases to 52, according to the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center of Macao.
- China Detains Two For Social Media Comments About COVID-19 Radio Free Asia 10 Jun 2021 -- Authorities in China are cracking down on information relating to the coronavirus, as a fresh wave of COVID-19 cases hits the southern province of Guangdong.
- Germany Introduces CovPass Digital COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- German health officials Thursday introduced that nation's version of the digital COVID-19 vaccination pass, a smart phone app that will allow fully vaccinated Germans a simple way to prove their status.
- India's 2nd Pandemic Wave Ravaged Remote Himalayan Slopes VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- When India was grappling with the pandemic last year, villages perched on Himalayan slopes remained in serene outposts, largely untouched. But the deadly second wave did not spare these far-flung regions.
- India Breaks World Record After Posting 6,000 COVID Deaths in a Day VOA 10 Jun 2021 -- India posted a single-day world record Thursday of more than 6,000 COVID-19 deaths after one state revised a set of numbers.
- India reports less than 1 lakh Daily New Cases for the 3rd successive day India PIB 10 Jun 2021 -- India has reported 94,052 Daily New Cases in the last 24 hours.The country has recorded less than 1 lakh Daily New Cases for 3 continuous days now
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 10 Jun 2021 -- There have been some unfounded media reports of the CoWIN platform being hacked
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 146 India PIB 10 Jun 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country has reached more than 24.58 Cr (24,58,47,212) as per the 7 pm provisional report today.
18,64,234 beneficiaries of the age group 18-44 years received their first dose and 77,136 beneficiaries of the same age group received their second dose of COVID vaccine today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 10 Jun 2021 -- Government of India has been supporting the efforts of States and UTs for an effective Vaccination drive under the "Whole of Government" approach since 16th January, this year
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 10 Jun 2021
- On Mission Mode, more than 400 Oxygen Expresses complete Oxygen deliveries across the country India PIB 10 Jun 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country.
- COVID-19 kills 153 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 10 Jun 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 81,672 with 153 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Iran's Astan Quds Razavi, Defense Ministry to launch production line of Fakhra vaccine Press TV 10 Jun 2021 -- Iran's Astan Quds Razavi (AQR) and Defense Ministry will launch over the next 10 days a production line for a domestically-developed COVID-19 vaccine developed by a research center formerly headed by nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, who was assassinated last year.
- Taiwan reports 266 new COVID-19 cases, 28 deaths (update) CNA 10 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Thursday reported 266 new COVID-19 cases -- 263 domestic, three imported -- and 28 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan reports 275 COVID-19 cases, 25 deaths Wednesday People's Daily 10 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported 275 cases of COVID-19 and 25 deaths, the island's disease monitoring agency said.
- Elderly Activist Inmates Increasingly Positive For COVID-19 in Cambodia's Penal System Radio Free Asia 10 Jun 2021 -- A growing number of elderly political activists held in Cambodia's notorious Prey Sar Prison are testing positive for COVID-19 as the coronavirus spreads unchecked through the penal system, inmates and their family members said Thursday.
- Nine in 10 African nations set to miss urgent COVID vaccination goal UN News 10 Jun 2021 -- Nine in 10 African nations look set to miss the September target of vaccinating 10 per cent of their populations against COVID-19, the World Health Organization (WHO), said on Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|