09 June 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- US Attorney General Warns Ransomware 'Getting Worse and Worse' VOA 09 Jun 2021 -- U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland warned Wednesday that ransom-motivated cyberattacks are "getting worse and worse," echoing other top Biden administration officials who have sounded the alarm about the problem in recent weeks.
- Third and Final Defendant Pleads Guilty to Conspiring to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 09 Jun 2021 -- Today, Mohamed Haji, 28, of Lansing, Michigan, pleaded guilty to conspiring to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization, namely the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, aka ISIS. In January 2020, his co-defendants Muse Muse and Mohamud Muse pleaded guilty to the same offense.
- Executive Order on Protecting Americans' Sensitive Data from Foreign Adversaries The White House 09 Jun 2021
- Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate on Protecting Americans' Sensitive Data from Foreign Adversaries The White House 09 Jun 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- UN experts to G7: Production of safe COVID-19 vaccines must outweigh profit UN News 09 Jun 2021 -- A group of UN independent human rights experts called on Wednesday for the leaders of the world's largest economies to ensure equal access to COVID-19 vaccines for people in the Global South, urging them not to allow the profit motive to undermine global health and equity.
- Fauci: COVID-19 variants still threatening to spread in US Press TV 09 Jun 2021 -- The Director of the United States National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Anthony Fauci says the Delta coronavirus variant -- the B.1.617.2 variant first identified in India -- is still threatening to spread in the US.
- CDC Eases COVID-19 Travel Advisories for Dozens of Countries VOA 09 Jun 2021 -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued an updated travel advisory for more than 120 countries and territories based on the status of their respective COVID-19 outbreaks.
- Expats in Shanghai receive nearly 60,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines: health authority Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- Foreigners in Shanghai have received a total of 59,892 doses of COVID-19 vaccines as of Wednesday evening, according to the Shanghai health authority.
- China approves 7th self-developed COVID-19 vaccine, can cross-neutralize variants Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- China has approved a seventh domestically developed COVID-19 vaccine to meet increasing demand amid the country's accelerating mass vaccination drive, media reports said on Wednesday, the same day that the country announced it had administered more than 800 million shots.
- Wuhan virology lab head says four infection cases of COVID-19 and flu in early 2020 were not lab staff Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- The Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory in Wuhan Institute of Virology has kept annually the serum samples of lab staff and no reports of any abnormal diseases were received, and the four infection cases of COVID-19 and influenza found during a retrospective study of samples in January 2020 were not lab staff, Yuan Zhiming, Director of the institute's Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory said, according to the Chinese version of WHO-China joint study released by China's National Health Commission on late Tuesday.
- Guangzhou tests 16m people in 2 weeks; new tech helps find virus variants in one hour Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- Virus-hit Guangzhou has become the city with the largest nucleic acid testing program in the world, with more than 16 million people tested in about two weeks. New technology can test mutated virus variants in no more than one hour.
- China has administered over 800 million doses of COVID19 vaccines as of Tuesday: NHC Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- China has administered over 800 million doses of COVID19 vaccines as of Tuesday: NHC
- Surge in COVID-19 cases in Guangzhou traced to one transmission chain Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- Positive COVID-19 cases reported in South China's Guangzhou have been traced to one transmission chain, but patient zero has yet to be found 20 days after the first case was reported, a health official said on Tuesday.
- Chinese version of WHO report on COVID-19 origin-tracing joint study with China released Global Times 09 Jun 2021 -- China's National Health Commission published on Tuesday the Chinese version of the World Health Organization (WHO) report of the joint study with Chinese experts in Wuhan on the global tracing of COVID-19 origins , following the publication of the English version by the WHO on March 30.
- Over 800 mln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 09 Jun 2021 -- Over 800 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in China as of Tuesday, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- Hong Kong reports 3 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Jun 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported three cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, all imported, taking the tally in Hong Kong to 11,868.
- Chinese mainland reports 8 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Jun 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported eight new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, all in Guangdong Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- Britain Grappling with Decision to Ease COVID Restrictions VOA 09 Jun 2021 -- When to unlock? Britain's Boris Johnson is coming under mounting pressure from Conservative lawmakers and their allies in the media to keep to a previously outlined timetable that would see virtually all pandemic restrictions relaxed on June 21 in England.
- EU Parliament Approves Digital COVID-19 Travel Certificate VOA 09 Jun 2021 -- The European Parliament gave final approval Wednesday to the COVID-19 digital certificate â€” a smart phone app that European Union citizens can use to travel freely among European countries without having to quarantine or undergo extra tests.
- India reports less than 1 lakh Daily New Cases for the 2nd successive day India PIB 09 Jun 2021 -- India has reported 92,596 Daily New Cases in the last 24 hours.The country has recorded less than 1 lakh Daily New Cases for 2 continuous days now
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 145 India PIB 09 Jun 2021 -- India has crossed a significant landmark in its fight against COVID-19 pandemic today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 09 Jun 2021 -- As part of the nationwide vaccination drive, Government of India has been supporting the States and UTs by providing them COVID Vaccines free of cost
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 09 Jun 2021
- Oxygen Expresses deliver nearly 28000 MT of LMO to the Nation India PIB 09 Jun 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country.
- COVID-19 kills 157 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 09 Jun 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 81,519 with 157 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Iran joins coronavirus vaccine producing countries: official IRNA 09 Jun 2021 -- Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi said in the launching ceremony of the second phase of clinical test for Fakhra COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday that Iran has joined the few countries that can produceâ€“ such coronavirus vaccines.
- 9th consignment of Russian COVID-19 vaccines delivered to Iran Embassy in Moscow IRNA 09 Jun 2021 -- The 9th batch of Russian Corona vaccine, Sputnik V, including 100,000 doses, was delivered to the Iranian Embassy in Moscow on Wednesday and will be forwarded to Tehran on Thursday.
- Iran launches 2nd phase in clinical trial of Fakhra vaccine Press TV 09 Jun 2021 -- Iran has launched the second phase in the human trial of a COVID-19 vaccine developed by the Defense Ministry's research center formerly headed by nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, who was assassinated last year.
- Taiwan reports 275 new COVID-19 cases and 25 deaths (update) CNA 09 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported 275 cases of COVID-19, all but one of which were domestic infections, as well as 25 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Air Force reports six COVID-19 confirmed cases CNA 09 Jun 2021 -- The Air Force Command Headquarters said on Wednesday six of its personnel tested positive for COVID-19 recently and were placed in isolation for treatment.
- Seniors eligible to receive AstraZeneca vaccine from June 15: CECC CNA 09 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan will soon start administering the 1.24 million shots of AstraZeneca vaccine it received last week from Japan, and seniors 75 years old and over will be included in the categories of eligible people, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Three found dead in Taipei apartment confirmed as having COVID-19 CNA 09 Jun 2021 -- Three members of a family found dead in their apartment in Taipei's Beitou district on June 4 have tested positive for COVID-19 after a family member who lived with them tested positive , Taipei City government confirmed Wednesday.
- Taipei hospital suspends most ER services as 8 staffers contract COVID CNA 09 Jun 2021 -- Taipei City Hospital's Yangming Branch has temporarily stopped almost all emergency room (ER) services, as eight of its employees have tested positive for COVID-19, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Taiwan company to present Phase II trial data for its COVID vaccine CNA 09 Jun 2021 -- Medigen Vaccine Biologics Corp., a Taiwan-based biopharmaceutical company, said Wednesday it is ready to present the data from the Phase II clinical trials of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate.
- Taiwan reports 219 COVID-19 cases, 22 deaths Tuesday People's Daily 09 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Tuesday reported 219 cases of COVID-19, all of which were local infections, as well as 22 deaths from the disease, the island's disease monitoring agency said.
- Third Wave Of COVID Infections Ravages Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 09 Jun 2021 -- For most of this year, the media coverage of Afghanistan has focused on the ongoing withdrawal of U.S. and NATO troops and the implications for the war-torn country's future.
- Slow Vaccination Rate in Africa Could Have Major Consequences, Experts Warn VOA 09 Jun 2021 -- By any measure, the number of those being vaccinated against COVID-19 in Africa are running behind the rest of the world. Health experts warn that failure to inoculate the 1.3 billion people on the continent will have a huge impact on its health care systems and economies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|