17 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- The United States Designates ISIS Financial Facilitators US Dept. of State 17 May 2021 -- Today, the United States is designating three individuals and one entity connected to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to coincide with the 14th meeting of the Counter ISIS Finance Group, which plays a key role coordinating the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS' efforts to disrupt the group's generation and transfer of resources.
- Treasury Targets ISIS Financial Facilitators in Syria and Turkey US Treasury 17 May 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated three individuals and one entity in connection with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
- US Targets Islamic State Moneymen in Turkey, Syria VOA 17 May 2021 -- The United States is taking new steps to make it more difficult for the Islamic State terror group to move money, including donations from international supporters, through Syria and Turkey.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly operational update on COVID-19 - 17 May 2021
- Vaccine inequity triggers 'huge disconnect' between countries UN News 17 May 2021 -- Although COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to decline globally for a second consecutive week, the UN health agency chief said on Monday that "a huge disconnect" is mounting between some highly vaccinated countries, which see the pandemic as largely resolved, while huge waves of infection continue to grip others where shots are scarce.
- COVAX in Dire Need of Vaccines Now VOA 17 May 2021 -- COVAX, the international scheme for the equitable international distribution of COVID vaccines is running short of the shots. The shortfall is largely due to the Serum Institute of India which has not been able to meet its global commitments for the vaccine in several months due to an overwhelming domestic demand for the vaccine.
- WHO Cautions COVID-19 Pandemic Is Not Over VOA 17 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization warned Monday that while global infection and death rates are declining, the COVID-19 pandemic is not over, contrary to the behavior in some nations where high numbers of people have been vaccinated.
- COVID-19 Sets Back Progress in Effort to Eliminate Neglected Tropical Diseases VOA 17 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization reports the COVID-19 pandemic has set back years of gains made in efforts to eliminate neglected tropical diseases, a diverse group of 20 illnesses that disproportionately affect impoverished communities in tropical areas.
- US Boosting Exports of Coronavirus Vaccines VOA 17 May 2021 -- Announcing that the United States is taking additional steps to help the world combat the coronavirus pandemic, President Joe Biden on Monday said the country will be sending 20 million more doses of its COVID-19 vaccines abroad by the end of June.
- Remarks by President Biden on the COVID-19 Response and the Vaccination Program The White House 17 May 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New York State to Adopt New CDC Guidance on Mask Use and Social Distancing for Fully Vaccinated Individuals New York State 17 May 2021
- State Council working team visits epidemic-hit communities in E.China's Anhui to tackle COVID-19 resurgence Global Times 17 May 2021 -- A working team from China's joint prevention and control mechanism of the State Council arrived in East China's Anhui to tackle the local COVID-19 resurgence.
- China removes at least five officials from posts amid resurgence of COVID-19 cases Global Times 17 May 2021 -- China is tackling a resurgence of COVID-19 cases, with local governments taking vigorous measures by removing at least five Chinese officials from Northeast China's Liaoning and East China's Anhui provinces from their posts and issuing warnings to dozens of other officials for their dereliction of duty and malpractice in dealing with fever patients.
- Working group sent to guide COVID-19 control efforts in Anhui People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- The State Council inter-agency task force for COVID-19 response has dispatched a working group to guide prevention and control efforts in east China's Anhui Province, the National Health Commission said on Monday.
- Chinese city raises COVID-19 alert level in 4 neighborhoods People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- The city of Lu'an in east China's Anhui Province has raised the COVID-19 alert levels from low-risk to medium-risk in four residential communities, the city's health commission said on Monday.
- Hong Kong reports 4 new cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported four new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, taking the total tally in the global financial hub to 11,824.
- China's Anhui reports two new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- East China's Anhui Province reported two new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in the first 12 hours of Sunday, the provincial health commission said.
- China's Liaoning reports three new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province reported three new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases as of 7 p.m. Sunday, the provincial health commission said.
- Macao reports one new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) reported one new imported COVID-19 case on Sunday, bringing the SAR's total number of confirmed cases to 50, according to the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center of Macao.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported five new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- Chinese military provides COVID-19 vaccines to military of Zimbabwe PLA Daily 17 May 2021 -- For the implementation of President Xi Jinping's important declaration on making China's COVID-19 vaccine a global public good, with the approval of the Central Military Commission and at the request of the military of Zimbabwe, a batch of COVID-19 vaccines assisted by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was delivered to the military of Zimbabwe on May 17.
- Germany to Open Vaccinations to All Adults Beginning June 7 VOA 17 May 2021 -- German Health Minister Jens Spahn announced Monday the nation would end its COVID-19 vaccination prioritizing and open inoculations to all adults who want them, effective June 7.
- As Britain Eases Lockdown, Virus Mutation Overshadows Joy VOA 17 May 2021 -- Britain lifted many of its coronavirus lockdown restrictions Monday as infection rates fall to their lowest levels since August. Pubs, restaurants, theaters, casinos and art galleries opened their doors to allow customers inside for the first time this year. Many families are now able to meet indoors for the first time in months as the new rules allow gatherings of up to six people inside private homes.
- Doubts Mount About Efficacy of Russia's Sputnik Vaccine VOA 17 May 2021 -- Doubts are mounting about the efficacy of Russia's Sputnik vaccine. Drug regulators in the Czech Republic and Brazil have withheld approval and counterparts in Slovakia have also expressed doubts.
- Daily new COVID cases less than 3L after 26 days India PIB 17 May 2021 -- In an encouraging development, daily new COVID cases being registered in India are now less than 3 Lakhs after 26 days.
- More than 20 crore vaccine doses provided to States/UTs Free of Cost by Govt. of India, so far India PIB 17 May 2021 -- As part of the nationwide vaccination drive, Government of India has been supporting the States and UTs by providing them COVID Vaccines free of cost, in addition to several efforts to ramp up its production and supply
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 122 India PIB 17 May 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country stands at 18,44,22,218 as per the 8 pm provisional report today.
- Update on COVID Relief Aid India PIB 17 May 2021 -- Government of India, at the forefront to combat the ongoing COVID-19 has been receiving international cooperation of COVID-19 relief medical supplies and equipment since 27th April 2021 from different countries/organisations
- Dr Harsh Vardhan chairs 26th meeting of Group of Ministers (GOM) on COVID-19 India PIB 17 May 2021 -- Dr
- Inspite of upcoming cyclone, Railways run 2 Oxygen Expresses early morning today from Gujarat to beat high winds and deliver 150 MT of Oxygen to the Nation India PIB 17 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- COVID-19 kills 286 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 17 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 77,222 with 286 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Monday.
- Taiwan confirms 333 new domestic COVID-19 cases (update) CNA 17 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Monday confirmed 335 new cases of COVID-19, of which 333 were classified as domestic infections, breaking its daily record of local cases for the fourth consecutive day and pushing the total number of cases in the country past 2,000.
- Taiwan to bar entry of non-residents for a month CNA 17 May 2021 -- Taiwan will close its borders with effect from Wednesday to all arrivals, except citizens and legal residents, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday, as the number of domestic COVID-19 infections continued to climb.
- Taipei closes more entertainment venues CNA 17 May 2021 -- Taipei on Monday announced that more entertainment venues in the city would be closed, effective immediately, in the wake of rising domestic COVID-19 cases.
- New Taipei hospital reports 7 local COVID-19 cases CNA 17 May 2021 -- Seven new domestic COVID-19 infections tied to Far Eastern Memorial Hospital in Banqiao, New Taipei were reported Monday.
- Taipei, New Taipei schools to close for 2 weeks amid COVID surge CNA 17 May 2021 -- All schools in Taipei and New Taipei, from elementary to high school level, will be closed closed for two weeks, starting Tuesday, the two city governments announced Monday, citing the rapid spread of COVID-19 in the two municipalities amid a rise in locally transmitted cases.
- Taiwan reports new record of 206 local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday confirmed 207 new cases of COVID-19, of which 206 were classified as local infections, the highest number ever recorded in a single day since the pandemic began.
- Golden Triangle Tourist Zone in Laos a Hotbed for COVID 19 Radio Free Asia 17 May 2021 -- Laos is struggling to contain an outbreak of the coronavirus in a popular tourist district that caters to Chinese gamblers, while in neighboring Cambodia, food insecurity is causing the country's poor to collect scrap metal to buy food, authorities and residents of the Southeast Asian countries said Monday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|