14 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Agreement Reached for Bipartisan Probe into US Capitol Riot VOA 14 May 2021 -- Two members of the U.S. House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee announced an agreement Friday to form a panel to conduct a bipartisan investigation into the Jan. 6 insurrection on the U.S. Capitol.
- US lawmakers agree on 9/11-type commission to probe Jan. 6 attack Press TV 14 May 2021 -- The top Democrat and Republican on the US House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee have agreed to conduct a bipartisan, independent commission to investigate the January 6 storming of US Capitol by then-President Donald Trump's loyalists.
- DHS Issues a National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) Bulletin DHS 14 May 2021 -- Today, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas issued a National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) Bulletin after consultation with the Intelligence Community and law enforcement partners. The NTAS Bulletin advises that the United States is facing threats that have evolved significantly and become increasingly complex and volatile. Specifically, the Bulletin details the threats posed by domestic terrorists, individuals, and groups engaged in grievance-based violence, and those inspired or influenced by foreign terrorists and other malign foreign influences.
- Easing of COVID Restrictions Sparks New US Terror Warning VOA 14 May 2021 -- The easing of restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic has U.S. counterterrorism officials holding their breath, worried an increasingly lax environment could make it easier for a variety of extremists to try to launch new attacks across the country.
- Pipeline Reopens Completely As Biden Reaffirms Suspicions Of Russian Hackers' Involvement RFE/RL 14 May 2021 -- The owner of the largest fuel pipeline in the United States says it has restarted its entire pipeline system and begun delivering fuel again after a cyberattack that Washington said originated in Russia forced it offline and triggered worries about fuel supplies.
- National Guard, partners to conduct ORCA 21 CBRNE exercise Army News 14 May 2021 -- Hundreds of National Guard Civil Support Team units from 11 states will participate in Exercise ORCA 2021 in Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna Valley and Seward with emergency responders and other Guard units.
- In Cyber, Differentiating Between State Actors, Criminals Is a Blur DoD News 14 May 2021 -- Who's hacking the U.S.? It's not an easy question to answer, defense leaders told lawmakers, as determining if a malicious cyber attacker is a foreign government, a cyber criminal or a cyber criminal supported by a foreign government is never clear.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- COVID-19: Wealthy nations urged to delay youth vaccines, donate to solidarity scheme UN News 14 May 2021 -- The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday appealed for wealthier countries to delay vaccinating younger people against COVID-19 and instead donate doses to the COVAX global vaccine solidarity initiative.
- WHO Urges Rich Countries to Donate More COVID Vaccine to Poorer Countries VOA 14 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization appealed to wealthy countries Friday to scrap plans to vaccinate young people with COVID-19 vaccine in favor of donating it to poorer countries.
- WHO Slams 'Gross Distortion' of Vaccine Access Among World's Nations VOA 14 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization Friday questioned wealthy nations moving to vaccinate low-risk groups, such as children, against COVID-19, while some poor and middle-income countries do not have enough vaccine for health care workers.
- Fully Vaccinated Americans Can Go Maskless, CDC Says VOA 14 May 2021 -- U.S. health officials said Thursday that people who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus can go maskless and stop maintaining social distancing in most social settings.
- US Ramps Up Effort to Convince Young Adults COVID Vaccine is Safe VOA 14 May 2021 -- The race to get the COVID-19 vaccine into the arms of Americans is now focusing on young adults and adolescents. They're eligible to be vaccinated but not necessarily rushing out to get the shot.
- U.S. Records 34,934 COVID 19 Infections SPA 14 May 2021 -- The United States of America recorded 34,934 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, along with 761 deaths.
- GT investigates: World COVID-19 vaccine production accelerates as China licenses own doses overseas Global Times 14 May 2021 -- With the G7 group urged by civil society organizations to share COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing technology and provide financial support to the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access initiative, China is issuing more licenses to its global partners to locally produce Chinese-developed vaccines with at least nine countries across four continents launching production lines for domestic manufacturing, according to calculations.
- Chinese mainland reports 6 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 3 silent carriers, 1 suspected case in 2 days Global Times 14 May 2021 -- Sporadic COVID-19 cases reoccurred in the Chinese mainland on Thursday and Friday, 20 days after the mainland last reported any local infections.
- Hong Kong, Macao tighten entry policies for Taiwan visitors amid COVID-19 surge Global Times 14 May 2021 -- Authorities in Hong Kong and Macao have tightened entry policies for visitors from the island of Taiwan, over concerns surrounding the recent surge in COVID-19 cases reported there, local media reported on Friday.
- Anhui reports four confirmed COVID-19 cases, one suspected case Global Times 14 May 2021 -- A total of four local COVID-19 cases and one suspected case were reported Thursday and Friday in Lu'an city and Feixi county in East China's Anhui Province, following 20 days without any local transmission in the Chinese mainland.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported two new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Anhui Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Friday.
- East China province reports two confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- East China's Anhui Province on Thursday reported two confirmed COVID-19 cases from two localities, local health authorities said.
- Over 366 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- Approximately 366.91 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered across China as of Thursday, a health official said on Friday.
- Hong Kong reports no new local COVID-19 infection People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- Hong Kong reported no new local COVID-19 infection on Friday, showing the epidemic situation remained under control in the international financial hub.
- Hong Kong reports 3 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported three new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, taking the total tally to 11,817.
- UK Records 2,657 Coronavirus Cases SPA 14 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,657 new cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 11 deaths.
- Britain's PM Says New India COVID Variant Could Disrupt June Reopening Plans VOA 14 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Friday that current plans for easing COVID-19 restrictions in England will proceed, but a rise in cases of a new so-called Indian variant of the virus could change those plans â€” as well as plans to fully reopen the nation by the end of June.
- Germany COVID Infection Rate Falls Below Key Threshold VOA 14 May 2021 -- Germany's Health Minister Jens Spahn said Friday the nation's average COVID-19 infection rate over the past week has fallen below 100 per 100,000 residents for the first time in two months, a key threshold for lifting restrictions in the European nation.
- Germany's COVID-19 case rate falls below key threshold SPA 14 May 2021 -- Germany's seven-day rate of COVID-19 cases fell below a key threshold for the first time in nearly two months on Friday, Reuters reported.
- Russia reports 9,462 new COVID-19 cases, 393 deaths SPA 14 May 2021 -- Russia reported 9,462 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, including 3,818 in Moscow, taking the official national tally since the pandemic began to 4,922,901. The government coronavirus task force said 393 people had died of coronavirus-linked causes in the past 24 hours, pushing the national death toll to 115,116, according to Reuters.
- India's Cumulative Recoveries exceed 2 Crore India PIB 14 May 2021 -- In a significant development, India's cumulative recoveries has surpassed 2 Crore (2,00,79,599) today. The National Recovery Rate is 83.50%.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 119 India PIB 14 May 2021 -- India has crossed a significant landmark in its fight against COVID19 pandemic today
- Update on Ventilators Installed in Aurangabad India PIB 14 May 2021 -- Government of India has been supporting the efforts of States and UTs for effective management of COVID patients in hospital care, under the 'Whole of Government" approach since last year
- Update on COVID Relief Aid India PIB 14 May 2021 -- The Government of India, at the forefront of the "Whole of government" approach to combat the ongoing COVID-19 has been receiving international donations and aid of COVID-19 relief medical supplies and equipment since 27 April 2021 from different countries/organisations to augment its efforts in fighting the unprecedented surge of cases
- Update on COVID Vaccine Allocation India PIB 14 May 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country is nearly 18 Crore (17.93 Crore, as per the 7 am provisional report today)
- From 126 MT of Oxygen to 7900 MT of Oxygen in 20 days; beginning with the first delivery on 24th April, Railways upscale it's Oxygen Express operations to deliver Oxygen relief to 12 States India PIB 14 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen (LMO) to various states across the country
- India Reports 343,144 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 14 May 2021 -- India reported 343,144 new COVID-19 cases, along with 4,000 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- COVID-19 kills 202 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 14 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 76,433 with 202 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Friday.
- New single-day record for domestic COVID-19 cases in Taiwan (update) CNA 14 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Friday confirmed 29 new domestic cases of COVID-19, the most locally transmitted infections in a single day since the outbreak began early last year, as authorities continued to grapple with a string of cluster infections in northern Taiwan.
- Public encouraged to use contact tracing app as COVID-19 cases rise CNA 14 May 2021 -- People in Taiwan can use a smartphone app, developed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), to help with the government's contact tracing efforts, amid a spike in the number of domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases, health officials said Friday.
- Taiwan-Palau flights canceled until June 8 amid COVID concerns CNA 14 May 2021 -- Taiwan's flagship carrier, China Airlines (CAL), has canceled all direct flights to the Pacific island state Palau until June 8, the airline confirmed on Friday, citing stricter COVID-19 protocols as the main reason.
- Rapid COVID-19 tests needed in Taiwan to contain disease: experts CNA 14 May 2021 -- As Taiwan's COVID-19 cases begin to mount, rapid COVID-19 screening tests are needed to eliminate diagnosis delays and keep people who might be infected from affecting others while waiting for test results, Taiwanese medical experts said Friday.
- Taiwan reports 13 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- Taiwan Thursday reported 25 new COVID-19 cases, 13 of which were confirmed local infections, the local disease monitoring agency said.
- Kuwait Report 763 New Coronavirus Infections SPA 14 May 2021 -- Kuwait reported as many as 763 new Coronavirus infections, in the last 24-hour, raising the total cases detected to 290,006.
- Kuwait: 1,059 new COVID-19 infections; 5 deaths SPA 14 May 2021 -- Kuwait confirmed 1,059 new COVID-19 infections in the last 24 hours , raising the total to 289,243 cases, the Ministry of Health said.
- Ecuador Gets Russia's Go-Ahead for Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine Supply Sputnik 14 May 2021 -- Ecuador's Ministry of Public Health has received approval from the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) for the shipment of the Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, the Latin American country's foreign ministry said.
- New coronavirus variants in Cuba linked to severe cases, deaths People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- New variants of the coronavirus believed to have entered Cuba in recent months have been linked to higher transmission rates, more severe cases of disease and an increase in deaths in the Caribbean country, the official daily Granma said on Thursday.
- Philippines logs 6,784 new COVID-19 cases, total tally rises to 1,131,467 People's Daily 14 May 2021 -- The Philippines' Department of Health (DOH) reported on Friday 6,784 new COVID-19 infections, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Southeast Asian country to 1,131,467.
- Laos Records Second COVID-19 Death as Number of Infections Balloons Radio Free Asia 14 May 2021 -- Laos has recorded its second death and first Laotian victim from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus pandemic, while the number of infections in the country grew to nearly 1,500, according to health officials.
- Tunisia Records 457 Cases of Coronavirus SPA 14 May 2021 -- Tunisia recorded 457 new cases of the novel coronavirus (Covid 19) in the past 24 hours, along with 34 deaths.
- UAE announces 1,452 new COVID-19 cases, 1,422 recoveries, 3 deaths in last 24 hours SPA 14 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced 1,452 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the United Arab Emirates to 543,610, WAM reported.
- Oman reports 576 new cases of Covid-19 SPA 14 May 2021 -- As many as 576 new cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) have been registered in the Sultanate of Oman, in addition to 10 new Covid-19-related death cases. This brings the total number of positive Covid-19 cases to 202,713 in the Sultanate. The total number of Covid-19-related death cases reached 2148, the Ministry of Health said according to Oman News Agency (ONA).
- Egypt Reports 1193 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 14 May 2021 -- Egypt reported yesterday 1193 new COVID-19 cases, along with 59 deaths.
- Brazil Records 74,592 New Virus Infections and 2,383 Deaths SPA 14 May 2021 -- Brazil recorded 74,592 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday, along with 2,383 deaths.
- Algeria Records 207 Coronavirus Cases SPA 14 May 2021 -- Algeria recorded 207 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections to 124,889.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|