11 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- The United States Impedes Hizballah Financing by Sanctioning Seven Individuals US Dept. of State 11 May 2021 -- The threat that Hizballah poses to the United States, our allies, and interests in the Middle East and globally, calls for countries around the world to take steps to restrict its activities and disrupt its facilitation networks.
- Treasury Targets Hizballah Finance Official and Shadow Bankers in Lebanon US Treasury 11 May 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated seven individuals in connection with Hizballah and its financial firm, Al-Qard al-Hassan (AQAH). AQAH, which was designated by OFAC in 2007, is used by Hizballah as a cover to manage the terrorist group's financial activities and gain access to the international financial system.
- US Sanctions Seven Lebanese Linked to Hezbollah VOA 11 May 2021 -- The United States has sanctioned seven Lebanese nationals it says are linked to the Iran-backed Hezbollah group, and its financial arm, Al-Qard al-Hassan (AQAH).
- Biden administration prepared to take additional steps after pipeline cyber attack People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden said on Monday that his administration is prepared to take additional steps to respond to the cybersecurity attack on the Colonial Pipeline, which is the largest refined-products pipeline in the United States.
- Kremlin Denies All Claims About Russian Involvement in Hacker Attacks in US Sputnik 11 May 2021 -- Russia has nothing to do with hacker attacks in the US and such accusations are unacceptable, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Tuesday.
- Russia denies any link to cyberattack on US fuel pipeline Press TV 11 May 2021 -- Russia has denied involvement in a cyberattack that led to the shutdown of the biggest US fuel pipeline operated by the Colonial Pipeline Company.
- U.S. main fuel pipeline operator aims to restore operation this week after cyber attack People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- The operator of a main U.S. fuel pipeline declared on Monday its goal of restoring operational service by the end of the week after all pipeline operations temporarily halted due to a cybersecurity attack.
- France, Britain Fearful of Resurgent Jihadist Threat After Lockdown VOA 11 May 2021 -- Nearly 200 jihadists imprisoned in France are due to be released over the next two years and French security officials are pressing French lawmakers to approve fresh antiterrorist measures to impose enhanced restrictions on those freed and to give police new legal powers to fight terrorism.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 11 May 2021
- WHO chief urges global cooperation in COVID-19 vaccine sharing as "only choice" People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Global cooperation, instead of competition and confrontation, is the only choice to end the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Monday when addressing the disparity in access to vaccines worldwide.
- Vaccine inequity posing 'significant risk' to global economic recovery: UN report UN News 11 May 2021 -- Although the outlook for global growth has improved, the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as inadequate progress on vaccination in poorer countries, are putting recovery at risk, according to the latest UN economic forecast, published on Tuesday.
- Biden Pushing New Ways to Boost Vaccine Numbers VOA 11 May 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Tuesday announced new ways to help more Americans get vaccinated against the coronavirus pandemic.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 11 May 2021
- Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Expanded Use Authorization for the Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine New York State 11 May 2021
- U.S. COVID-19 cases down 30 pct over past 2 weeks as 2 mln shots of vaccine administered per day People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- The rate of average daily new COVID-19 cases in the United States dropped below 41,000 over the weekend, down 30 percent from two weeks ago and reaching the lowest level since September, Johns Hopkins University data has shown.
- U.S. Records 24,080 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- The United States of America recorded 24,080 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, along with 280 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- China benefiting from controlling COVID-19 with good practices: WHO expert People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Most of China are enjoying the benefits of having effectively controlled COVID-19, a World Health Organization (WHO) official said on Monday.
- Hong Kong reports no local COVID-19 infection for 3 straight days People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Hong Kong has seen zero local infection of COVID-19 for three consecutive days.
- Chinese mainland reports 14 new COVID-19 cases, all imported People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 14 new COVID-19 cases, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- China Tries Online Activists Who Saved Censored Coronavirus Posts on Github Radio Free Asia 11 May 2021 -- Two Chinese activists who kept an online repository of banned articles on the coronavirus pandemic stood trial in Beijing on Tuesday, while a journalist was attacked by unidentified thugs in Hong Kong.
- European Union Seeks to Reopen Travel with Vaccination Pass VOA 11 May 2021 -- As COVID-19 infection rates begin to drop in the region, European Union ministers met in Brussels Tuesday in hopes of reaching an agreement on a "green certificate" travel pass designed to make it easier for fully vaccinated tourists to travel in the continent in time for the summer vacation season.
- Greek PM calls for COVID-19 vaccine patent waiver to help countries in need People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Monday called for waiving intellectual property rights protected by patents for COVID-19 vaccines in order to speed up production to assist countries in need.
- Germany opens Johnson &Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine to all adults People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Germany is to make Johnson &Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine available to all adults by removing a priority system that determines who gets the jabs first, Minister of Health Jens Spahn announced at a press conference here on Monday.
- UK PM confirms coronavirus lockdown to be further eased from next Monday People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed Monday that the coronavirus lockdown in England will be further lifted from next week.
- Russia Reports 8,115 New COVID-19 Cases, 329 Deaths SPA 11 May 2021 -- Russia reported 8,115 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours on Tuesday, taking the national tally to 4,896,842, Reuters reported.
- Bodies Found in Indian River Raise Questions About COVID Links VOA 11 May 2021 -- Authorities in India said Tuesday they have yet to determine the cause of death of dozens of people found dead in the Ganges River.
- Too Little, Too Late Say Experts About Modi Gov't's $1.2 Bln Fund as COVID-19 Hits Rural India Sputnik 11 May 2021 -- A second wave of COVID-19 has wreaked havoc across India and now the cases are increasing in rural parts of the country too. The Indian government is taking all steps to curb the spread and efforts are being made to strengthen the fight against the pandemic.
- India sets new COVID-19 record, WHO warns of threat to globe Press TV 11 May 2021 -- The weekly average number of COVID-19 infections in India has hit a new record, as World Health Organization (WHO) authorities warn that the country's variant of the virus poses a global threat.
- Results could be 'disastrous' if new variant in India further expands to South Asia with its impact on vaccine effectiveness unknown: experts Global Times 11 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) labeled the SAR-CoV-2 variant first identified in India as "a variant of global concern," which shows that the mutation may be more transmissible, more likely to cause infections, and more potent than current vaccines, some Chinese experts said. They warned that if the epidemic affects more of India's neighboring countries, it could lead to a disastrous crisis.
- More than 18 crore vaccine doses provided to States/UTs Free of Cost by Govt. of India, so far India PIB 11 May 2021 -- Vaccination forms an integral component of the five point strategy of Government of India of containment and management of the pandemic (including Test, Track, Treat and COVID Appropriate Behaviour)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 116 India PIB 11 May 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country stands at 17,51,71,482 as per the 8 pm provisional report today.
4,74,629 beneficiaries of the age group 18-44 years received their first dose of COVID vaccine today and cumulatively 30,39,287 across 30 States/UTs since the start of Phase-3 of the vaccination drive
- Cabinet Secretary Reviews the COVID situation in the Country India PIB 11 May 2021 -- The Cabinet Secretary chaired the 33rd meeting with the States and UTs to review the COVID situation in the country
- Update on Covid Relief Aid India PIB 11 May 2021 -- Government of India is receiving international donations and aid of COVID-19 relief medical supplies and equipment since 27 April 2021 from different countries/organisations to augment its efforts in fighting the unprecedented surge in COVID in the country
- Centre Reviews Progress of COVID Vaccination with States/UTs India PIB 11 May 2021 -- Shri Rajesh Bhushan, Union Health Secretary and Dr
- Government of India is expeditiously delivering Global Aid of Oxygen concentrators, cylinders, generation plants and more than 3.4 L Remdesivir Vials to states/UTs through a "Whole of Government" approach India PIB 11 May 2021 -- 8,900 Oxygen Concentrators, 5,043 Oxygen Cylinders, 18 Oxygen Generation Plants, 5,698 ventilators/ Bi PAP and more than 3.4 L Remdesivir vials received as part of global aid to India have been delivered/ dispatched to States and UTs to strengthen and supplement their COVID response, so far
- Indian Naval Ships Kochi & Tabar arrive at New Mangalore Port carrying Critical Medical Stores India PIB 11 May 2021 -- Stepping up the Covid relief operation 'Samudra Setu II', two more Indian Naval Ships Kochi and Tabar reached New Mangalore Port on 11 May 21 with critical medical stores.
- Uttarakhand set to become 9th State to receive Oxygen Express from Indian Railways India PIB 11 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- India records around 330,000 new COVID-19 infections, active cases fall People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- India's COVID-19 tally rose to 22,992,517 on Tuesday after 329,942 new cases were registered in the past 24 hours, while active cases fell for the first time in a few weeks, said the federal health ministry.
- COVID-19 kills 307 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 11 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 75,568 with 307 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Tuesday.
- COV-Iran Barekat coronavirus vaccine production line launched IRNA 11 May 2021 -- The official in charge of COV-Iran Barekat COVID-19 vaccine project said on Tuesday that first industrial production line for the domestically developed vaccine was launched with a capacity to produce 3 million doses a month.
- S. Korea Reports 511 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- The Republic of South Korea reported 511 new cases of the novel of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 4 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 999 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 1,286 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 11 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 999 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 428,369, including 9,169 active cases.
- Saudi Arabia to impose institutional quarantine on arriving passengers People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Saudi Arabia will impose institutional quarantine on arriving passengers starting May 20, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Monday.
- Taiwan reports 7 new domestic COVID-19 cases CNA 11 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Tuesday reported seven domestic COVID-19 cases, including one linked to the China Airlines (CAL) and Novotel airport hotel cluster in Taoyuan and six others with unconfirmed infection sources, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan into community transmission stage of COVID-19: Health Minister CNA 11 May 2021 -- Taiwan has entered the community transmission stage of COVID-19 following the emergence of six domestic cases of the disease that have unknown sources of infection, Health and Welfare Minister Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said Tuesday.
- Multiple public events cancelled amid rise in domestic COVID-19 cases CNA 11 May 2021 -- A wide range of upcoming public events in Taiwan were cancelled by their organizers on Tuesday amid growing concerns about an increase in domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases in recent weeks.
- Worried by rise in COVID-19 cases, Taiwan bans large scale gatherings CNA 11 May 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Tuesday announced a ban on large-scale gatherings as it tightened COVID-19 prevention measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus amid an increase in domestically transmitted cases in recent weeks.
- Taiwan says Palau travel bubble unaffected by rise in COVID outbreak CNA 11 May 2021 -- A travel bubble arrangement between Taiwan and its Pacific diplomatic ally Palau will remain in place, even though the Taiwanese carrier that operates flights destined for Palau is combating a pilot shortage caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Deputy Transportation Minister Chi Wen-jong (ç¥ˆæ–‡ä¸) said Tuesday.
- Face mask supplies sufficient amid domestic COVID-19 spread concerns CNA 11 May 2021 -- Inventories of surgical face masks in Taiwan remain sufficient to meet demand at a time when the country is seeing rising concerns over an increase in domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases, the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) said Tuesday.
- Taiwan reports four more local cluster infection COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Monday reported four new COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster involving Taiwan-based China Airlines cargo pilots and Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport hotel employees, bringing the total number of infections to 35.
- South Africa warns of 'vaccine apartheid' amid hoarding by rich nations Press TV 11 May 2021 -- South Africa's president has warned of "vaccine apartheid" as millions of people in poor countries are dying of the coronavirus with no access to vaccines and wealthy countries are hogging shots.
- Vietnamese Citizen Becomes First COVID-19 Fatality in Laos Radio Free Asia 11 May 2021 -- Laos announced its first COVID-19 fatality, a Vietnamese woman who hid her infection from authorities, while local transmission increased pace in Vietnam and Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh planned to reduce restrictive quarantine measures.
- Nepal Struggles With 2nd COVID Wave as India's Outbreak Spills Across Border VOA 11 May 2021 -- Thousands of Nepalese migrants working in India rushed home in recent weeks seeking safe haven from a brutal second wave of the coronavirus pandemic as it battered the country with sickness and death.
- Sri Lanka records highest single-day COVID-19 new case count of over 2,000 People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- COVID-19 cases in Sri Lanka topped 125,000 on Monday with 2,672 new cases reported a day earlier, the highest single-day record, the Health Ministry said.
- LatAm leans to China as US' 'backyard' seeks Chinese mainland vaccines Global Times 11 May 2021 -- Honduras, one of the last 15 countries and regions that keep "diplomatic ties" with the island of Taiwan, said Monday that its neighboring country El Salvador will help it to get the Chinese mainland vaccines as the COVID-19-hit country in Central America is struggling with a shortage.
- Morocco Records 242 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Morocco recorded 242 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 514,164.
- Morocco Records 58 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Morocco recorded 58 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 513,922.
- Iraq Records 5,287 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Iraq recorded 5,287 new cases of the novel Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 1,122,914.
- Oman Reports 576 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Oman reported 576 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), 784 recoveries and 10 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Egypt Records 1,150 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Egypt recorded 1,150 new cases of Novel Coronavirus, bringing the total number of lab-confirmed cases to 238,560.
- Tunisia Records 1,024 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 11 May 2021 -- Tunisia recorded 1,024 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 39 deaths in the past 24 hours.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|