08 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Major US pipeline halts operations after cyberattack Press TV 08 May 2021 -- A major US pipeline has been forced to halt some of its operations due to a crippling cyberattack on its energy infrastructure.
- Two Russians Plead Guilty To Cybercrimes That Targeted U.S. Banks, Companies RFE/RL 08 May 2021 -- Two Russian nationals are among four men who have pleaded guilty to cybercrimes that targeted banks and companies across the United States, resulting in millions of dollars of losses, the Justice Department said on May 7.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- After hoarding, West bickers on sharing patents as virus kills in droves Press TV 08 May 2021 -- Major Western European countries have expressed reservations about a proposal to waive patent rights on COVID-19 vaccines â€“ now backed by US President Joe Biden â€“ insisting that key to ending the coronavirus outbreak was faster manufacturing and sharing the vaccine.
- U.S. Records 43,256 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 May 2021 -- The United States of America recorded 43,256 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, along with 815 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- WHO validates China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) validated on Friday the BBIBP-CorV COVID-19 vaccine developed by China's Sinopharm for emergency use.
- Hong Kong reports 5 more imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported five new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, all of which were imported, taking the total tally to 11,806.
- UK Records 2,047 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,047 new cases of the Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 5 deaths.
- Germany rejects U.S.-backed proposal to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- The German government has rejected the U.S. proposal to waive patent rights on COVID-19 vaccines, Minister of Health Jens Spahn told journalists here on Friday.
- Sweden's pandemic strategy questioned as COVID-19 cases top 1 mln People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Sweden reported 1 million confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Thursday with 6,526 new cases detected in the past 24 hours.
- Russia Reports 8,329 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 May 2021 -- Russia reported 8,329 COVID-19 cases on Saturday, including 2,765 in Moscow, taking the official national tally since the pandemic began to 4,871,843.
- What can the UN do to support India through its deadly COVID-19 surge? UN News 08 May 2021 -- The UN is at the forefront of efforts to help India extricate itself from the almost unimaginable scale of suffering its citizens are undergoing, as a result of a devastating wave of COVID-19 infections. Earlier this week, UN News spoke to the country chiefs based in India, for the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UN Children's Fund, to get their take on the crisis. Here are some key excerpts from the interviews.
- More Contagious Variant Abets India's COVID-19 Surge, WHO Says VOA 08 May 2021 -- India reported a record number of COVID-19 deaths in a single day Saturday, and a more contagious variant is partly to blame, the World Health Organization's chief scientist said.
- India: More Than 401,000 New COVID Cases in 24 Hours VOA 08 May 2021 -- India reported a record number of single-day COVID-19 deaths Saturday as states imposed more stringent lockdown measures in the absence of a national lockdown plan.
- Govt. of India has so far provided more than 17.49 crore vaccine doses to States/UTs Free of Cost India PIB 08 May 2021 -- The Government of India is leading the fight against the COVID19 pandemic in collaboration with the States and UT through a "Whole of Government" approach
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 113 India PIB 08 May 2021 -- The Liberalised and Accelerated Phase-3 Strategy of Covid-19 Vaccination has come into force from 1st May 2021
- Update on Clinical Management of COVID-19 India PIB 08 May 2021 -- In a significant directive to the States, Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has revised the national policy for admission of COVID patients to various categories of COVID facilities. This patient-centric measure aims to ensure prompt, effective and comprehensive treatment of patients suffering from COVID19.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan chairs 25th meeting of Group of Ministers (GOM) on COVID-19 India PIB 08 May 2021 -- Dr
- Global Aid being Effectively Allocated and Promptly Delivered by Government of India to Tertiary Care Institutions across States and UTs for COVID management India PIB 08 May 2021 -- Reflecting the solidarity and goodwill towards India, the global community has extended a helping hand in supporting efforts of India in this collective fight against COVID19
- Nearly 3400 MT Oxygen delivered by Oxygen Expresses to Maharashtra, MP, Haryana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Telangana & UP India PIB 08 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- Covid Care Coaches as Isolation Units are now functional in 17 diverse locations in 7 states spread over the country India PIB 08 May 2021 -- In the relentless fight against Covid19, Railway officials and teams continue their momentum to reach-out to State Health Authorities and Administrations through timely and co-ordinated action
- Indian gov't adviser says 3rd wave of COVID-19 may not happen if strong measures taken People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Indian government's top scientific adviser K. Vijay Raghavan said on Friday that the third wave of COVID-19 might not happen if strong measures are taken.
- India's West Bengal chief minister warns of oxygen supply shortage amid COVID-19 surge People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Chief Minister of India's West Bengal Mamata Banerjee has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighting the shortage of oxygen supply in the eastern state, officials said Friday.
- Pakistan Begins Partial Lockdown Ahead Of Eid Al-Fitr RFE/RL 08 May 2021 -- Pakistan has declared an eight-day partial lockdown starting May 8 in a bid to prevent a surge in COVID-19 cases during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr next week.
- Rouhani: Establishment of Anti-Corona disease headquarters 1st effective management move IRNA 08 May 2021 -- President Hassan Rouhani said here on Saturday that the establishment of the Anti-Corona Disease Headquarters was the first effective management move in Iran against that pandemic.
- COVID-19 kills 283 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 08 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 74,524 with 283 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Saturday.
- Considerable volume of Covid-19 vaccine from China to arrive in Iran soon ISNA 08 May 2021 -- Following Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif's meeting with his Chinese counterpart and initial agreements, a considerable volume of Covid-19 vaccine from China will arrive in Iran in coming days.
- Health Ministry: 997 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 1,026 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 08 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 997 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 425,442, including 9,707 active cases.
- Uruguayan FA rolls out Chinese COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Uruguay's top men's and women's football teams have begun receiving COVID-19 vaccines donated by China's Sinovac Biotech, the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) said on Friday.
- Cameroon says administers 40,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine, including over half from China People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Some 40,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Cameroon since mid-April, health minister Manaouda Malachie said on Friday.
- Thailand to inoculate senior citizens with Chinese COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- Thailand will start to inoculate seniors aged 60 and above with COVID-19 vaccines developed by China's Sinovac biopharmaceutical company, Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Friday.
- Cuba says US ban hinders vaccine production amid joint Iran plan Press TV 08 May 2021 -- The Cuban foreign minister says the US blockade against his country has hindered the development and production of domestically-manufactured vaccines against the coronavirus pandemic.
- Morocco Records 314 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 May 2021 -- Morocco recorded 314 new cases of COVID-19, in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 513,628.
- Jordan Records 601 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 May 2021 -- The Jordanian Ministry of Health announced that it recorded 601 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 719,233.
- UAE Reports 1,735 New COVID-19 Cases, 3 Deaths SPA 08 May 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) reported 1,735 new COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths in the last 24 hours
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|