06 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- In U.S. Trial Of Alleged Hacker, Indications Of Larger Russian Cybercrimes RFE/RL 06 May 2021 -- It was one of the most sophisticated digital fraud operations in the history of the Internet, by some accounts scamming between $10 million and $30 million over the roughly four years it existed.
- MS-13 Member Pleads Guilty to Racketeering Conspiracy Involving Murder and Attempted Murder US Dept. of Justice 06 May 2021 -- A Maryland man pleaded guilty today to conspiracy to participate in a racketeering enterprise by murdering a suspected rival gang member and attempting to murder two other victims, in connection with his MS-13 gang activities.
- A Decade After Bin Laden's Killing, Terrorism Still Haunts Pakistan RFE/RL Gandhara 06 May 2021 -- It was only two decades ago that Pakistan's rulers took pride in making their country a frontline ally in the U.S.-led war on terrorism following the attacks of September 11.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO chief hails 'monumental moment' in COVID fight, as US throws support behind vaccine patent waiver UN News 06 May 2021 -- The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday said the commitment announced by the United States administration to lift vaccine patent protections to help boost global supply, was a "monumental moment" in the battle to end the deadly pandemic.
- UN launches key initiative to protect seafarers' human rights amid COVID-19 crisis UN News 06 May 2021 -- Around 200,000 cargo ship crew members are stranded at sea, beyond the length of their contracts due to COVID-19 restrictions, placing a major strain on their physical and mental health. New UN guidelines were published on Thursday, aimed at helping the industry better protect human rights at sea, as new COVID variants threaten to further delay crew turnover.
- COVID milestone: Guard vaccinates 10 million people Army News 06 May 2021 -- Ten million moms, dads, grandparents, friends, co-workers and neighbors are now vaccinated thanks to the ongoing efforts of National Guard members who are administering shots "in the communities where they live and serve."
- Over 1 mln people get COVID-19 vaccine in Hong Kong People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- More than 1 million people have taken at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine in Hong Kong since the vaccine rollout started more than two months ago, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new COVID-19 cases, all imported People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported five new COVID-19 cases, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- Hong Kong reports 6 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) on Wednesday reported six additional confirmed cases of COVID-19, taking the tally in the financial hub to 11,796.
- Chinese military provides COVID-19 vaccines to Pakistani military PLA Daily 06 May 2021 -- For the implementation of President Xi Jinping's important declaration on making China's COVID-19 vaccine a global public good, with the approval of the Central Military Commission and at the request of Pakistani military, the second batch of COVID-19 vaccines assisted by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was delivered to the Pakistani military on May 6.
- US support for vaccine patent waiver 'political tactic,' won't benefit countries lacking production capacity Global Times 06 May 2021 -- After the Biden administration announced support on Wednesday for waiving intellectual property rights for COVID-19 vaccines, a sharp reversal from sitting on stockpiles indifferent to other countries' demands, Chinese experts pointed out the attitude change was more a case of crisis management to restore the country's international reputation, and there is little chance that it will be more than "lip service."
- Sinopharm vaccine likely to get WHO approval with condition: experts Global Times 06 May 2021 -- As the World Health Organization (WHO) is scheduled to announce the results of its evaluation of vaccines from Chinese producers Sinopharm and Sinovac Biotech for emergency authorization this week, the latest document uploaded by the WHO on the assessment of Sinopharm's vaccine showed that WHO experts have "overall confidence" in its ability to prevent COVID-19 while having "low confidence" on the risk of side effects for older patients.
- EU Chief Ready to Discuss Vaccine Ownership VOA 06 May 2021 -- European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Thursday the European Union (EU) is willing to discuss a proposal to waive intellectual property rights for COVID-19 vaccines, one day after U.S. President Joe Biden's administration indicated it would support it.
- EU Agreement on Vaccine Passports Remains Elusive VOA 06 May 2021 -- Italy is "ready to welcome back the world," Prime Minister Mario Draghi said this week, confirming government plans to launch a COVID passport scheme by mid-month for tourists and other international travelers, allowing them to enter the country without quarantining.
- UK Records 2,144 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,144 new cases of the Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 27 deaths.
- UK records another 2,144 coronavirus cases, 27 deaths People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- Another 2,144 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,425,940, according to official figures released Wednesday.
- EU medicine regulator starts rolling review of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- The European Medicine Agency (EMA) has started a rolling review of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Chinese company Sinovac, the latest vaccine candidate hoping to win approval for usage in the bloc.
- Russia Authorises Single-Dose Sputnik Light COVID Vaccine For Use Sputnik 06 May 2021 -- Russia has registered Sputnik Light, the single-dose vaccine against COVID-19, which has an efficacy of 79.4 percent, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said.
- Russia Reports 7,639 New COVID-19 Cases, 351 Deaths SPA 06 May 2021 -- Russia reported 7,639 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, including 2,114 in Moscow, which took the national tally of infections to 4,855,128, according to Reuters.
- India Doctor Makes Desperate Plea for Oxygen as Pandemic Supplies Dwindle VOA 06 May 2021 -- When oxygen supplies at Shri Ram Singh Hospital in New Delhi ran critically low a week ago, Dr. Gautam Singh, who runs the facility, hit the road at night to plead for oxygen from suppliers and also put out a desperate appeal on social media. Finally, a local official helped secure some cylinders to help alleviate the crisis.
- India Reports New Single-Day Record of COVID-19 Infections, Deaths VOA 06 May 2021 -- India set another record in the current surge of new COVID-19 infections Thursday as officials warn that a third wave will sweep the country.
- Trio of Nations May Counter Beijing's Vaccine Offer to India VOA 06 May 2021 -- As India sets new daily records in COVID-19 deaths and infections, some experts see the humanitarian crisis as an opportunity for other nations to counter China's vaccine diplomacy elsewhere.
- Amid India's Rising Numbers, Tibetan COVID Cases Also Climb Radio Free Asia 06 May 2021 -- The number of COVID-19 infections among Tibetan residents of India continued to climb this week, with five deaths in one community recorded as the country struggles with a second wave of the pandemic that has seen cases surge since March, sources say.
- Effective Allocation of COVID-19 Materials received from the Global Community by Centre to States and UTs India PIB 06 May 2021 -- There has been an unprecedented surge in the number of COVID19 cases in the country since the past few weeks
- Govt. of India has so far provided more than 17.15 crore vaccine doses to States/UTs Free of Cost India PIB 06 May 2021 -- The Government of India is leading the fight against the COVID19 pandemic in collaboration with the States and UT through a "Whole of Government" approach
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 111 India PIB 06 May 2021 -- The Liberalised and Accelerated Phase-3 Strategy of Covid-19 Vaccination has come into force from 1st May 2021
- Government of India continues to Effectively Allocate COVID -19 supplies received from the Global Community to States and UTs India PIB 06 May 2021 -- In the fight against the global pandemic, the global community has extended a helping hand in supporting efforts of India in this collective fight against COVID19
- No pendency of Oxygen Concentrators with Indian Customs India PIB 06 May 2021 -- It has been reported in some sections of the media that oxygen concentrators are pending at the Customs warehouse for getting clearance from the Custom authorities.
The news is totally incorrect, not based on facts and without any basis.
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has clarified that there is no such pendency with Indian Customs
- PM Modi reviews public health response to Covid-19 India PIB 06 May 2021 -- PM Modi today undertook a comprehensive review of the Covid-19 related situation in the country
- Indian Army establishes Covid Management Cell to coordinate assistance to Civil Authority India PIB 06 May 2021 -- The Indian Army has been at the forefront of COVID response at the national level
- Oxygen Expresses deliver more than 2511 MT LMO in 161 tankers to different states India PIB 06 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- Third wave of COVID-19 inevitable in India, says principal scientific advisor People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- A third wave of COVID-19 outbreak is inevitable in India given the higher levels of the circulating virus, said Principal Scientific Advisor to India's Federal Government K. Vijay Raghavan on Wednesday.
- Indian foreign minister at G7 "exposed to possible COVID-19 cases" People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- India's foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, who is presently in London, Britain for the Group of Seven (G7) foreign and development ministers' meeting, said Wednesday that he has possibly been exposed to COVID-19 cases and will conduct his engagements virtually.
- India's COVID-19 tally crosses 21 mln with over 410,000 new cases People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- India's COVID-19 tally surpassed 21 million on Thursday as 412,262 new cases were registered across the country in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said.
- India Reports More than 400,000 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 May 2021 -- India reported 412,262 new COVID-19 cases, along with 3,980 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Pakistan Reports 4,198 New Cases of COVID-19, 108 Deaths SPA 06 May 2021 -- Pakistan repoerted 108 new deaths and 4,198 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) during last 24 hours.
- COVID-19 kills 338 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 06 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 73,906 with 338 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Japan to Expand COVID-19 State of Emergency, Extend to End of May SPA 06 May 2021 -- The Japanese government plans to expand the ongoing COVID-19 state of emergency beyond Tokyo and the Osaka area and extend it to the end of May in a bid to bring down infections and ease the strain on hospitals, Kyodo cited senior officials as saying today.
- MoH: Over 10 million COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across Saudi Arabia SPA 06 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) has announced that more than 10 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered through 587 vaccination centers across the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. These centers, which are equipped and supported with all the basic requirements, are witnessing a great turnout from the members of the community to get inoculated amid regulatory and precautionary measures to maintain their health and safety, the ministry stated.
- Health Ministry: 1,090 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 982 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 06 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 1,090 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 423,406, including 9,785 active cases.
- Riyadh Governor Approves Launch of Careful Society Campaign to Rise No. of COVID-19 Vaccinated People SPA 06 May 2021 -- Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz, Governor of Riyadh region, approved the launch of the Careful Society Campaign, in cooperation among the Women's Committee for Community Development, the Family Affairs Committee of the Regional Council and the Health Volunteering Society "Athar".
- Taiwan to expand COVID-19 vaccination to military, seniors CNA 06 May 2021 -- Taiwan's COVID-19 vaccination program will be expanded, with effect from May 10, to include all military personnel and Taiwanese residents aged 65 or above, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Sixth COVID-19 case confirmed at Taoyuan airport hotel CNA 06 May 2021 -- Another employee at an airport hotel in Taoyuan has tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the number of cases in a cluster linked to the hotel and the Taiwanese carrier China Airlines (CAL) to 29, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Longer quarantine, more COVID-19 testing mandated for CAL flight crews CNA 06 May 2021 -- Pilots and flight attendants with Taiwan's flagship carrier, China Airlines (CAL), are now required to quarantine for five days instead of three on arrival, and they will be tested more often for COVID-19, health authorities said Thursday.
- 'Virus-Free' North Korea Prepares Health Workers for 'War' with COVID-19, Confusing Residents Radio Free Asia 06 May 2021 -- North Korea is confusing its citizens by telling medical workers to prepare for "battle" against coronavirus with stricter quarantine measures, all while still claiming the country remains virus free, sources in the country told RFA.
- Canada OKs Pfizer vaccine for adolescents People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- Canada announced its approval of administering the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to children ages 12 to 15 on Wednesday.
- Canada's COVID-19 cases surpass 1.25 mln People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- Ontario, Canada's most populous province, reported 2,941 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday morning, bringing the country's cumulative total to 1,252,891 cases, according to CTV.
- COVID-19 Worries in Vietnam as Hospital Spawns New Round of Cases Radio Free Asia 06 May 2021 -- A new round of coronavirus infections in Vietnam has spread to a swath of cities and provinces from a facility of the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases in the capital Hanoi, the country's latest COVID-19 epicenter, according to state media reports.
- Duterte Apologizes for Getting Unauthorized Vaccine, Sends Doses Back to China Radio Free Asia 06 May 2021 -- President Rodrigo Duterte apologized to the Philippine public after he was criticized for being inoculated this week with an unauthorized COVID-19 vaccine which food and drug regulators have not approved for local emergency use.
- Despite Assurances, Some Kazakhs Leery Of Little-Known, Homegrown COVID-19 Vaccine RFE/RL 06 May 2021 -- The fact that it hasn't completed its clinical trials hasn't stopped thousands of Kazakh citizens from getting their first shot of the domestically developed coronavirus vaccine QazVac.
- Morocco Records 360 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 May 2021 -- Morocco recorded 360 new cases of COVID-19, in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 513,016.
- UAE Announces 1,724 New COVID-19 Cases, 1,682 Recoveries, 3 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 06 May 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 196,777 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment.
- Tunisia Reports 1,448 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 May 2021 -- Tunisia reported 1,448 new cases of Novel coronavirus and 106 deaths, it was reported today.
- Bolsonaro Claims COVID-19 Crisis Linked To Chinese 'Biological Warfare' as Brazilian Cases Skyrocket Sputnik 06 May 2021 -- The Brazilian politician made the comments amid strained ties with Beijing, sparking outcry from the Latin American nation's largest trading partner as well as lawmakers in the country.
- Africa Risks Resurgence of Coronavirus, WHO Warns VOA 06 May 2021 -- African countries risk a new wave of coronavirus infections because of the slow rollout of life-saving vaccines and the circulation of new variants, the World Health Organization warns.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|