05 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Court Authorizes Service of John Doe Summons Seeking Identities of U.S. Taxpayers Who Have Used Cryptocurrency US Dept. of Justice 05 May 2021 -- A federal court in the Northern District of California entered an order today authorizing the IRS to serve a John Doe summons on Payward Ventures Inc., and Subsidiaries d/b/a Kraken (Kraken) seeking information about U.S. taxpayers who conducted at least the equivalent of $20,000 in transactions in cryptocurrency during the years 2016 to 2020.
- Iranian Diplomat's 20-Year Sentence For French Bomb Plot Confirmed RFE/RL 05 May 2021 -- An Iranian diplomat's 20-year prison sentence in Belgium for plotting to bomb an opposition rally outside Paris has been confirmed after he dropped plans to appeal.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Early-warning 'pandemic hub' plan unveiled by WHO's Tedros and Germany's Merkel UN News 05 May 2021 -- An international hub for pandemic control is to open in Berlin to ensure better preparedness and transparency in the fight against likely future global health threats, the UN health agency announced on Wednesday.
- WHO chief hails 'monumental moment' in COVID fight, as US throws support behind vaccine patent waiver UN News 05 May 2021 -- The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday said the commitment announced by the United States administration to lift vaccine patent protections to help boost global supply, was a "monumental moment" in the battle to end the deadly pandemic.
- WTO Debates Proposal to Waive Intellectual Property Rights on COVID Vaccines VOA 05 May 2021 -- Member nations of the World Trade Organization are wrapping up two days of talks in Geneva Wednesday focused on waiving intellectual property rights on new COVID-19 vaccines.
- Biden Agrees to Waive COVID-19 Vaccine Patents, but It's Still Complicated VOA 05 May 2021 -- The Biden administration has agreed to support waiving intellectual property (IP) restrictions on COVID-19 vaccines at the World Trade Organization (WTO), a breakthrough in the global fight against the pandemic that can empower governments to tackle vaccine scarcity and inequity.
- CDC Chief Projects Sharp Decline in US COVID Cases by July VOA 05 May 2021 -- The head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said current projections see COVID-19 cases remaining low and dropping sharply by July, provided vaccination rates remain high and people continue to observe basic prevention practices.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 05 May 2021
- Manufacturing Innovation Institutes Integral to U.S. Pandemic Response DoD News 05 May 2021 -- When the COVID-19 pandemic struck the U.S. in early 2020 and overwhelmed the nation's supply of personal protective equipment, the Defense Department's Manufacturing Innovation Institutes leveraged their public-private partnerships to enable manufacturers to quickly pivot and ramp up production to respond to frontline health care workers' PPE needs and protect Americans against COVID-19 exposure.
- Agency Provides Critical Supplies to USAID for India Pandemic Response DoD News 05 May 2021 -- Rapid COVID-19 test kits and N95 masks are among initial supplies from the Defense Logistics Agency being provided to India as part of the U.S. government's effort to help meet urgent health needs there.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Large-Scale Outdoor Venue Capacity Increase with New Fully Vaccinated Fan Sections Starting May 19 New York State 05 May 2021
- U.S. Records 43,626 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- The United States of America recorded 43,626 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, along with 750 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Biden Administration Supports Waiving Intellectual Property Rights For COVID Vaccines, USTR Says Sputnik 05 May 2021 -- The Biden administration supports waiving intellectual property protections for COVID-19 vaccines due to the global emergency triggered by the pandemic, US Trade Representative Katherine Tai said Wednesday.
- China-produced vaccines await approval by EU and WHO, will be 'major boon to the world' Global Times 05 May 2021 -- The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has started a rolling review of China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine, the EU's top drug regulator announced Tuesday, and experts said that once the vaccine is approved, China will further fulfill its international responsibilities as a major power and provide support to the international community in the pandemic fight.
- COVID-19 cases imported from India 'unlikely' to spark cluster infections in China Global Times 05 May 2021 -- China has reported at least 18 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases imported from India or involving Indian citizens as of Wednesday, and a source from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that China may continue to see new cases imported from India, but they are unlikely to result in further domestic infections due to China's effective and strict entry rules.
- Chinese medical team arrives in Laos to help fight against COVID-19 People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- A team of Chinese medical experts, along with medical materials, arrived in Lao capital Vientiane on Tuesday to assist Laos in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Hong Kong reports 4 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported four new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, taking the total tally to 11,790.
- Nearly 280 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- More than 279.90 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 7 new COVID-19 cases, all imported People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported seven new COVID-19 cases, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- China's Ruili clears areas with medium, high COVID-19 risks People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- Ruili, a border city in southwest China's Yunnan Province, now has no medium- or high-risk areas for the novel coronavirus, the city's COVID-19 prevention and control headquarters announced Tuesday.
- Hundreds of Hong Kong Residents Quarantined As Health Experts Warn Of Mutant COVID-19 Variant Cases Sputnik 05 May 2021 -- The cases sparked evacuations and quarantines in roughly 460 flats across three districts in the special administrative region on late Tuesday after authorities traced contacts linked to the two workers, Chinese media reported.
- Germany Reports 18,034 New COVID-19 Cases, 285 Deaths SPA 05 May 2021 -- Germany reported 18,034 new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and 285 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Greece Records 1,387 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- Greece recorded 1,387 new cases of COVID-19, in the past 24 hours, and 81 deaths.
- UK Records 1,946 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 1,946 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 4 deaths.
- Serbia Seeks To Ramp Up COVID Vaccinations By Offering To Pay Citizens RFE/RL 05 May 2021 -- Serbia will pay citizens to get a COVID-19 shot as the government seeks to speed up the Balkan country's flagging vaccination campaign.
- 3rd Coronavirus Wave 'Inevitable', Top Indian Science Adviser Says VOA 05 May 2021 -- A senior Indian government scientific adviser warned Wednesday that a third wave of coronavirus infections would sweep the country as it struggles with the devastating effects of the current wave that officially claimed nearly 4,000 lives in the course of one day.
- WHO: India accounts for 46% of world's new COVID-19 cases, quarter of deaths SPA 05 May 2021 -- India accounted for 46% of the new COVID-19 cases recorded worldwide last week and one in four of deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday, according to Reuters.
- Govt. of India has so far provided more than 17.02 crore vaccine doses to States/UTs Free of Cost India PIB 05 May 2021 -- The Government of India is at the forefront of the fight against the COVID19 pandemic in collaboration with the States and UT through a "Whole of Government" approach
- Installation of Two High Flow Medical Oxygen Plants funded by PMCARES at AIIMS, New Delhi and RML Hospital completed India PIB 05 May 2021 -- In a significant development, two medical oxygen plants funded by PMCARES have been installed at AIIMS, New Delhi and RML Hospital within a week
- COVID -19 supplies received from the Global Community have been Effectively Allocated to States and UTs by Government of India India PIB 05 May 2021 -- There has been an unprecedented surge in the number of COVID19 cases in the country since the past few weeks
- Centre Reviews Preparedness of 5 States of Eastern India to address Needs and Challenges of current phase of COVID Pandemic India PIB 05 May 2021 -- Union Health Secretary Shri Rajesh Bhushan along with Member (Health), NITI Aayog Dr
- Indian Navy steps up COVID Relief Operations: Nine Warships transporting Oxygen, Medical Equipment from Abroad India PIB 05 May 2021 -- The Indian Navy has stepped up its COVID relief Operation Samudra Setu II with ships from all three Naval Commands in Mumbai, Visakhapatnam and Kochi, deployed for shipment of Liquid Medical Oxygen and associated medical equipment from friendly foreign countries in Persian Gulf and South East Asia.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 110 India PIB 05 May 2021 -- The Liberalised and Accelerated Phase-3 Strategy of Covid-19 Vaccination has come into force from 1st May 2021
- 34 Oxygen Expresses complete their journey delivering more than 2067 MT LMO in 137 tankers India PIB 05 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- 70,000 Isolation beds made available by Railways in more than 4400 Covid Care Coaches India PIB 05 May 2021 -- In the relentless fight against Covid, the Ministry of Railways are taking rapid action to swiftly move Isolation Coaches to places of demand (made by respective states) mobilising workforce and material for this task
- India's COVID-19 tally crosses 20 million People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- India's COVID-19 tally crossed the 20-million mark, reaching 20,282,833 on Tuesday, as 357,229 new cases were registered during the past 24 hours, confirmed the federal health ministry.
- Health Minister warns Iranians against any new COVID-19 mutation IRNA 05 May 2021 -- Iran's Health Minister Saeed Namaki said on Wednesday announced some new variants of COVID-19 have been observed in the country, warning Iranians against the possible consequences.
- COVID-19 kills 349 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 05 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 73,568 with 349 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Health Ministry: 1,016 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 900 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 05 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 1,016 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 422,316, including 9,691 active cases.
- Taiwan confirms 7 new imported cases, no new domestic infections CNA 05 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday confirmed seven new cases of COVID-19, but none of them were domestically transmitted, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan approves emergency use of Moderna vaccine CNA 05 May 2021 -- Taiwan has granted authorization for emergency use of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, and the first batch is expected to be delivered this month, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said Wednesday.
- COVID-19 cases at China Airlines, airport hotel connected: CECC CNA 05 May 2021 -- Some of the recently confirmed COVID-19 cases at the Taiwanese carrier China Airlines (CAL) and an airport hotel in Taoyuan are connected, but the source of the cluster infection remains unclear, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Turkey reports 28,997 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 May 2021 -- Turkey on Tuesday confirmed 28,997 new COVID-19 cases, including 2,483 symptomatic patients, raising the total number of cases in the country to 4,929,118, according to its health ministry.
- Putin, Erdogan Discuss Joint Production of Sputnik V in Turkey Sputnik 05 May 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed possible production of the coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V at facilities in Turkey with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Kremlin said on Wednesday.
- Cambodia's Hun Sen Pushes Vaccines, People Ask For Food Radio Free Asia 05 May 2021 -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered military doctors to vaccinate the residents of Phnom Penh's so-called red zones, areas of the city locked down amid a recent surge of COVID-19 infections, but residents forced to stay at home say their greatest need is food.
- Algeria Records 273 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- Algeria recorded, in the past 24 hours, 273 new cases of COVID-19 and 176 recoveries, along with 10 deaths.
- Morocco Records 371 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- Morocco recorded 371 new cases of COVID-19, in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 512,656.
- Palestine Records 815 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 05 May 2021 -- Palestine recorded, in the past 24 hours, 21 deaths, 815 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and 1,979 recoveries, in all Palestinian governorates.
- Lebanon Records 1,012 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- Lebanon recorded 1,012 new cases of COVID-19, in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 530,217.
- Egypt Reports 1,090 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- Egypt reported 1,090 new cases of novel coronavirus and 60 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Myanmar: Attacks on healthcare jeopardizing COVID-19 response, UN team says UN News 05 May 2021 -- There have been at least 158 reported attacks on medical personnel and facilities in Myanmar, with more than 139 doctors arrested and charged since the military coup in February, endangering not only vital health services but also the COVID-19 response, the UN Country Team (UNCT) there said on Wednesday.
- South Asia: 'Real possibility' health systems will be strained to a breaking point, UNICEF warns UN News 05 May 2021 -- Impacts of the deadly new surge in COVID-19 cases across South Asia are unlike anything the region has seen before, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has said, warning of a "real possibility" that health systems there will be strained to a breaking point, leading to even more loss of life.
- Canada Becomes First Country to Approve Pfizer Vaccine for Children VOA 05 May 2021 -- Canada has become the first country to approve Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine for children as young as 12.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|