03 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- UN Survey Finds 37% Spike in Afghan Poppy Cultivation VOA 03 May 2021 -- The United Nations said Monday that opium cultivation in conflict-ridden Afghanistan increased by 37% in 2020 compared to the previous year, potentially producing an estimated 6,300 tons of opium.
- Latest deadly Ebola virus outbreak in DR Congo declared over UN News 03 May 2021 -- The 12th Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), was declared officially over on Monday, just three months after the first case was reported in North Kivu, but it marks the end of the country's fourth outbreak of the deadly disease in less than three years, said the World Health Organization (WHO).
- WHO: Small Ebola Outbreak Contained in DR Congo VOA 03 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization says a small outbreak of the Ebola virus has been contained in an eastern province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly operational update on COVID-19 - 3 May 2021
- Worldwide Vaccine Hesitancy Poses Risk to Ending Pandemic VOA 03 May 2021 -- The results of a new poll show that vaccine hesitancy worldwide poses a risk to ending the COVID-19 pandemic for good.
- WHO: India, Brazil Account for Half of New Global COVID-19 Cases VOA 03 May 2021 -- The World Health Organization said Monday that India and Brazil accounted for more than half of the new COVID-19 infections in the world last week, as the United Nations agency and other groups rush aid to the regions.
- UN envoy Gordon Brown urges G7 countries to fund global COVID vaccination push UN News 03 May 2021 -- Former United Kingdom Prime Minister Gordon Brown called on Monday for the world's richest nations to underwrite COVID-19 vaccination in poorer countries, highlighting the need to raise some $60 billion over the next two years.
- Moderna to Provide Tens of Millions of Doses of COVID vaccine to COVAX VOA 03 May 2021 -- Moderna announced Monday it will supply the COVAX vaccine sharing program with up to 500 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine by the end of 2022. The news comes simultaneously as Sweden announced it would send one million doses of the AstraZeneca shot as well.
- US Weighs Loosening Vaccine Patents to Help Global COVID Fight VOA 03 May 2021 -- Amid a surge of COVID-19 cases in India and other parts of the world, the United States remains noncommittal on an October 2020 proposal by India and South Africa to waive certain provisions of the World Trade Organization's Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS).
- COVID Herd Immunity Point Still Unclear, Biden Says VOA 03 May 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Tuesday will update the country on how it is faring in the battle against COVID-19 and the effort to get more Americans vaccinated against the coronavirus.
- New York Governor Says Most State COVID-19 Capacity Restrictions Will End May 19 VOA 03 May 2021 -- New York state Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Monday all state-enforced COVID-19-related capacity limits on retail businesses will be lifted May 19 in what he called a "smart reopening."
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo, Governor Murphy and Governor Lamont Announce Significant Easing of COVID-19 Pandemic Restrictions on Businesses, Gatherings and Venues New York State 03 May 2021
- US Oregon places counties under strictest lockdown restrictions as COVID resurges Press TV 03 May 2021 -- A new wave of the coronavirus has pushed a third of counties in the US state of Oregon to severely tighten lockdown restrictions.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new COVID-19 cases, all imported People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 11 new COVID-19 cases, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- Italy Records 5948 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Italy recorded 5,948 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 256 deaths, in the past 24 hours.
- Belgium Reports 2,128 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Belgium reported 2,128 new Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and 33 deaths, during the past 24 hours.
- UK Records 1,671 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded yesterday 1,671 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 14 deaths.
- India Reports More than 360,000 New COVID Infections VOA 03 May 2021 -- India reported 368,147 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, the 12th consecutive day the South Asian nation has recorded at least 300,000 cases of the disease.
- On a steadily growing path, over 3 Lakh Recoveries in the last 24 hours India PIB 03 May 2021 -- The number of COVID tests conducted across the country has crossed 29.16 cr today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 108 India PIB 03 May 2021 -- The Liberalised and Accelerated Phase-3 Strategy of Covid-19 Vaccination has come into force from 1st May 2021
- Govt. of India has so far provided more 16.54 crore vaccine doses to States/UTs Free of Cost India PIB 03 May 2021 -- Government of India is leading the fight against the COVID19 pandemic in collaboration with the States and UT through a "Whole of Government" approach
- Media reports alleging that Centre has not placed any fresh order for COVID19 Vaccines are Incorrect and not Based on Facts India PIB 03 May 2021 -- There have been some media reports alleging that the Centre has not placed any fresh order for COVID19 vaccines
- Facing once in century challenge head on, 20 Oxygen Expresses complete their journey, delivering 1125 MT (approx.) LMO in 76 tankers India PIB 03 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- PM reviews Covid related initiatives by the Indian Navy India PIB 03 May 2021 -- Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh called on PM Modi today.
He briefed the PM about various initiatives being taken by the Indian Navy to assist the countrymen during the pandemic
- PM authorises keys decisions to boost availability of medical personnel to fight COVID-19 India PIB 03 May 2021 -- The Prime Minister reviewed the growing need of adequate human resources for responding to the COVID-19 pandemic in the country today
- India reports over 360,000 new COVID-19 cases, tally nears 20 million People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- A total of 368,147 new COVID-19 cases were reported in India in the past 24 hours, taking the total tally to 19,925,604, according to the health ministry on Monday.
- India Reports 368,147 New Coronavirus Infections SPA 03 May 2021 -- India on Monday reported more than 300,000 new coronavirus cases for a twelfth straight day, while deaths from COVID-19 rose by 3,417, according to Reuters.
- Pakistan to suspend entry of pedestrians from Afghanistan, Iran through land border crossings amid COVID-19 People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Pakistan will suspend the entry of pedestrians from Afghanistan and Iran through land border terminals for over two weeks from May 5 in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, according to an official notification released on Sunday.
- COVID-19 kills 391 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 03 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 72,875 with 391 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Monday.
- S.Korea reports 488 more COVID-19 cases, 123,728 in total People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- South Korea reported 488 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 123,728.
- Japan Reports 1,928 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Japan reported 1,928 new Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases during the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 953 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 1,038 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 03 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 953 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 420,301, including 9,607 active cases.
- Taiwan confirms two new domestic, six imported COVID-19 cases CNA 03 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Monday confirmed two new domestic cases of COVID-19, bringing the number of cases linked to Taiwan's China Airlines (CAL) and an airport hotel in Taoyuan to 26, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan curbs new infection cluster to prevent COVID community outbreak CNA 03 May 2021 -- Taiwan is stepping up contact tracing and other containment measures as a jump in new domestic COVID-19 cases related to a Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport quarantine hotel fanned fears of a wave of community infections, according to Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸), who heads the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan imposes entry ban on foreign nationals traveling from India CNA 03 May 2021 -- Foreign nationals traveling from India will be barred from entering Taiwan beginning May 4 in an effort to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 infections, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) announced Monday.
- CECC opts to keep foreign carrier pilots on layovers away from others CNA 03 May 2021 -- Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday it intends to designate one hotel as the only place to accommodate flight crew members of foreign carriers during layovers to prevent COVID-19 outbreaks in the future.
- New Zealand Announces 'Travel Bubble' with Cook Islands VOA 03 May 2021 -- New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Monday the country will form a "travel bubble" with the Cook Islands, allowing quarantine-free travel between the two nations beginning on May 17.
- New Zealand reports 4 cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- New Zealand reported four cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation and no new cases of COVID-19 in the community on Monday.
- Algeria Records 195 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Algeria recorded, in the past 24 hours, 195 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), 136 recoveries, and 10 deaths.
- Algeria Records 211 New COVID-19 Infections SPA 03 May 2021 -- Algeria recorded, in the past 24 hours, 211 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), 149 recoveries, and 9 deaths.
- Morocco Announces Detecting Two Indian Variant Strain Coronavirus' Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Morocco announced here today detecting two cases of the Indian variant strains.
- Morocco Records 56 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Morocco recorded 56 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 511,912.
- Malaysia reports 3,418 new COVID-19 cases, new strain detected People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Malaysia reported 3,418 new COVID-19 infections, the Health Ministry said on Sunday, bringing the national total to 415,012.
- Mongolia's COVID-19 tally rises to 39,381 People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Mongolia's COVID-19 tally rose to 39,381 after 911 new locally transmitted cases were recorded over the past 24 hours, the country's National Center for Communicable Diseases (NCCD) said Monday.
- Colombia reports 15,909 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Colombia registered 15,909 new COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, taking its nationwide tally to 2,893,655, the ministry of health and social protection said Sunday.
- Argentina's COVID-19 cases top 3 million People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Argentina reported 11,394 new COVID-19 cases and 156 new deaths over the past 24 hours, bringing the nationwide caseload and death toll to 3,005,259 and 64,252 respectively, its health ministry reported Sunday.
- Ethiopia's COVID-19 cases pass 258,000 People's Daily 03 May 2021 -- Ethiopia registered 322 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, taking the nationwide tally to 258,384 as of Sunday evening, the country's Ministry of Health said.
- UAE Announces 1,772 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 156,940 additional COVID-19 tests, over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, according to WAM News Agency.
- Lebanon Reports 249 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Lebanon reported 249 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, putting the tally at 528,457 cases.
- Tunisia Reports 1,008 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- Tunisia reported 1,008 new cases of novel coronavirus, and 60 deaths, in the past 24 hours.
- Kuwait Reports 1,316 New Coronavirus Infections, 9 Deaths SPA 03 May 2021 -- Kuwait reported, in the last 24-hour, 1,316 new infections of the novel Coronavirus as well as 9 deaths.
- Venezuelan President Confirms Fifth Shipment of Russian Sputnik V Vaccine Against COVID-19 Sputnik 03 May 2021 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says his country has received yet another delivery of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine.
- Tibetans Caught in India's Second COVID Wave Radio Free Asia 03 May 2021 -- Tibetan residents of India are being caught in rising numbers of COVID-19 infections as the country struggles with a second wave of the pandemic that has seen cases surge since March, sources say.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|