20 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on the Biden Administration's Efforts to Protect U.S. Critical Infrastructure The White House 20 Apr 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 20 April 2021
- Only 1 pct of COVID-19 vaccines administered in lowest-income countries last week: WHO People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- While the World Health Organization (WHO) is working with COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers to expand worldwide vaccine production, only one percent of the 100 million doses administered last week went to lowest-income countries, officials of the Geneva-based organization said Monday.
- Global weekly COVID-19 infections reach new high: WHO People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- New COVID-19 infections worldwide have increased for the eighth week running, with a record 5.2 million cases reported last week and an alarming growth rate in young people, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday.
- U.S. COVID-19 cases rise as more states ease restrictions People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- Despite the country's vaccine rollout, a significant number of U.S. cities and states remain hotspots where the coronavirus continues to spread at higher rates than before, according to the Guardian.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 20 Apr 2021
- Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Under Further Scrutiny in US VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine is coming under further scrutiny by U.S. government health authorities.
- Oregon National Guard supports COVID vaccinations statewide Army News 20 Apr 2021 -- Oregon National Guard Citizen-Soldiers and -Airmen have vaccinated almost 300,000 people since Jan. 8, helping the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) and regional medical partners distribute the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Sinovac vaccine 80 pct effective against COVID-19-related death: Chilean gov't study People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- The COVID-19 vaccine developed by China's Sinovac Biotech Ltd is 80 percent effective against death from the disease, showed a recent real-world study in Chile.
- China's Yunnan reports 1 new COVID-19 case People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- China's Yunnan Province reported one confirmed COVID-19 case on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- China plans to approve first foreign COVID-19 vaccine: media People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- China is planning to approve its first foreign COVID-19 vaccine before July, according to people privy to the matter, U.S. media reported.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case in Yunnan Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- China administered total of 195.02 mln COVID-19 vaccines as of April 19 SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- China carried out about 2.9 million vaccinations against COVID-19 on April 19, bringing the total number administered to 195.02 million, according to data released by the National Health Commission on Tuesday, Reuters reported
- EMA Finds Link Between Johnson & Johnson Vaccine and Blood Clots VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- Europe's drug regulator, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) said Tuesday it found a possible link between the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine and rare forms of blood clots, but that the drug's benefits outweigh its risks.
- EU Shortages of AstraZeneca Vaccine Blamed on Insufficient Production of Serum, Reports Say Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- The recent shortfalls in AstraZeneca vaccine supplies to the European Union have been traced back to insufficient production of one of the drug's components, the serum, by a European subcontractor, Politico reported on Tuesday, citing the findings of an EU investigation.
- Austria To Send 651,000 Vaccine Doses From EU To Balkans RFE/RL 20 Apr 2021 -- European Union member Austria said on April 20 that it plans to send 651,000 doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine to six countries in the Western Balkans by August as part of an EU scheme to provide assistance to neighboring countries and Africa.
- 1630 New Cases of Coronavirus Reported in Belgium SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Belgium reported 1630 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and 35 deaths, in the past 24 hours,
- Greece Relaxes Some Traveler Restrictions, Despite Criticism from Health Officials VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- Greece has lifted quarantine restrictions for travelers from the United States and a number of other countries as it prepares to reopen tourism services next month. But with the COVID pandemic still raging across the country and cases once again rising in parts of the United States, critics worry the Greek government may be acting too quickly.
- Russia reports 8,164 new COVID-19 cases, 379 deaths SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Russia reported 8,164 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, including 1,996 in Moscow, taking the official national tally since the pandemic began to 4,718,854, according to Reuters.
- Argentina Starts Production of Sputnik V, Will Be Able to Export It in Region, RDIF Says Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- Argentina became the first Latin American country to start production of the Russian coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V, which can be exported to countries in Central and Latin America in the future, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said in a statement.
- India's Record High COVID Death Toll Prompts New Lockdown VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- The daily COVID-19 death toll in India has reached a record high as a second surge in infections has forced the government to impose new lockdown measures in large parts of the country.
- PM addresses the nation on the COVID-19 situation India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the nation on the COVID-19 situation today.
- PM Modi interacts with vaccine manufacturers from across the country India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with vaccine manufacturers from across the country via video conferencing.
- India's Cumulative Vaccination Coverage exceeds 12.71 Crores India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 12.71 Cr today as part of the world's largest vaccination drive.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 95 India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- India has scaled another peak in its effort to contain the COVID-19 virus with the administration of more than 13 Cr vaccines to its citizens. The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country stands at 13,00,27,370 as per the 9 pm provisional report today. More than 28.98 lakh vaccine doses administered till 9 pm today.
- Union Home Secretary Reviews Status of COVID19, Containment and other Public Health Measures in all UTs India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- Union Home Secretary Shri Ajay Kumar Bhalla, along with Shri Rajesh Bhushan, Union Health Secretary, chaired a high-level meeting to review and discuss the COVID status, and the management and response strategy with Chief Secretaries of all the Union Territories of India.
- Union Health Minister reviews COVID clinical management efforts with all AIIMS, PGI at Chandigarh and Puducherry India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare today chaired a high-level meeting with the Directors of ten AIIMS, PGIMER Chandigarh and JIPMER Puducherry to discuss the Public Health Response to the COVID crisis in the presence of Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare.
- 2105 beds provided in Central Govt. Hospitals for COVID patients in Delhi India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- 2105 beds (1875 oxygen beds and 230 ICU beds) in Central Govt. Hospitals including Safdarjung, RML, LHMC, AIIMS Delhi, AIIMS Jhajjhar, ESIC Okhla and Jhilmil, and All India institute of Ayurveda, Sarita Vihar are available now for care of COVID patients of Delhi. With this, the number of beds for COVID patients in Delhi has increased by more than 4 times, from the 510 beds available on 1st March, 2021.
- India records 259,170 new COVID-19 cases, tally at 15,321,089 People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- A total of 259,170 new COVID-19 cases were reported in India in the past 24 hours, taking the tally to 15,321,089, according to the data released by the health ministry on Tuesday.
- India Reports New High of 1,761 Daily COVID-19 Deaths SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- India's Ministry of Health and Family Welfare recorded 259,170 COVID-19 cases over the past day, bringing the total caseload to 15,321,089, TASS News Agency reported.
- India Only Country Where Private Firms Decide Price of COVID Vaccine, Ex-Finance Minister Says Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- The Indian government's announcement that the COVID vaccine will be available to everyone aged 18 and above from 1 May - albeit for a price - has been criticised by former finance minister Palaniappan Chidambaram. The Congress politician accuses the government of "abdicating" its responsibility by letting private companies decide the cost of jabs.
- India Mobilises Army to Fight Pandemic, Sets Up Hospitals on a War Footing Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRD) has provided civilians with a supplementary oxygen delivery system it uses for soldiers posted at extreme altitudes, mainly Pakistan and the border areas with China. The indigenously developed system is a "boon in the current pandemic as it can be used in the household," it said.
- India's Top Court Rules Against COVID Lockdown in Five Cities in Uttar Pradesh State Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- India's most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, has recorded more than 879,000 COVID infections amid the ongoing pandemic, with more than 223,000 cases reported in April alone. Nearly half of the new infections this month have been reported from four cities which India's top court says must not be locked down.
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh reviews preparedness of Ministry of Defence & Armed Forces amid spike in COVID-19 cases India PIB 20 Apr 2021 -- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh held a virtual meeting to review the preparedness of Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces to deal with the recent spike in COVID-19 cases across the country, in New Delhi on April 20, 2021.
- Pakistan Records 5,445 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Pakistan recorded, in the past 24 hours, 5,445 cases of Covid-19, along with 137 new deaths.
- CBI allocates $178 m to buy COVID-19 vaccines: CBI chief IRNA 20 Apr 2021 -- Central Bank of Iran (CBI) Governor Abdol-Nasser Hemmati said on Tuesday that $178 million has been allocated for 16.8 million doses of vaccines through the COVAX, formally known as the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access Facility.
- COVID-19 kills 395 more people in Iran IRNA 20 Apr 2021 -- Some 395 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 67,525 Iran's Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
- President: Government aiming to carry national vaccination campaign IRNA 20 Apr 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that the Government is aiming to carry out national vaccination campaign.
- South Korean Company to Begin Producing Russia's Sputnik V in May, Reports Say Sputnik 20 Apr 2021 -- Hankook Korus Pharm, a subsidiary of South Korean biotech firm GL Rapha, will start manufacturing Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine in May, the Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, citing industry sources.
- S.Korea reports 549 more COVID-19 cases, 115,195 in total People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 549 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Monday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 115,195.
- Japan tightens entry rules on COVID-19 test certificates People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- Japan on Monday tightened the entry rules on COVID-19 test certificates required to be submitted by all passengers upon arrival at Japanese airports.
- Health Ministry: 1,070 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 940 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 1,070 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 407,010, including 9,626 active cases.
- Vicious new COVID-19 wave hits besieged Gaza: Red Cross Press TV 20 Apr 2021 -- The International Red Cross says Palestinian people in the besieged Gaza Strip have been coping with an alarming increase in reported COVID-19 cases amid a critical shortage of essential medicines and medical equipment.
- Palestine Reports 2,025 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Palestine reported 2,025 new cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 2,306 recoveries, in the last 24 hours.
- Thailand confirms 1,443 new COVID-19 cases, 4 more deaths People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- Thailand on Tuesday confirmed 1,443 cases of coronavirus infection and four deaths, according to the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesman Taweesin Visanuyothin.
- Quarantine-free travel starts between Australia and New Zealand People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- A travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand opened up on Monday morning, with thousands of passengers booked to fly between the two countries.
- COVID-19 vaccination program in Laos makes good progress People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- The COVID-19 vaccination program in Laos is underway and the majority of people in target areas have had their first dose of the vaccine.
- Algeria Records 187 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Algeria recorded 187 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 5 deaths, in the past 24 hours.
- Tunisia Records 2,169 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Tunisia recorded 2,169 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) in the past 24 hours, along with 93 deaths.
- UAE Records 1,903 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 192,238 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, WAM News Agency reported.
- Morocco Records 720 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Morocco recorded 720 new cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), in the last 24 hours, bringing the tally to 506,669.
- Lebanon Records 1,608 New Infections from COVID-19 SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Lebanon reported here today 1,608 new Coronavirus infectionS, in the last 24-hour, bringing the total number to 513,006.
- Egypt Records 852 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 20 Apr 2021 -- Egypt recorded 852 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, and 40 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Peru Extends State of Emergency Amid COVID-19 Pandemic VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- Peru began new nationwide restrictions for one month Monday, a day after reaching a new record of COVID-19 deaths.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|