17 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Ukrainian National Gets 10-Year Sentence In U.S. Hacking Case RFE/RL 17 Apr 2021 -- Ukrainian national Fedir Hladyr has been sentenced to 10 years in prison in the United States after pleading guilty to participating in the FIN7 hacking group.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Global COVID-19 infection rate approaching highest: WHO People's Daily 17 Apr 2021 -- The number of new COVID-19 cases per week worldwide has nearly doubled over the past two months, approaching the highest infection rate seen so far during the pandemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.
- Johns Hopkins: Global COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 3 Million VOA 17 Apr 2021 -- COVID-19 has claimed the lives of more than 3 million people globally, according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center.
- US Reports 74,834 Confirmed Coronavirus cases, 838 Deaths SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- The United States of America has reported new 74,834 confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in addition to 834 deaths.
- Over 187 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 17 Apr 2021 -- More than 187.36 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of Friday, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 17 Apr 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case in Yunnan Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Saturday.
- China Reports 15 New COVID-19 Cases VS 11 A Day Earlier SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- China reported 15 new COVID-19 cases on April 16, up from 11 cases a day earlier, Reuters quoted the country's national health authority as saying on Saturday.
- Russia reports 9,321 new coronavirus cases, 398 deaths SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- Russia on Saturday reported 9,321 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, including 2,822 in Moscow, taking the national tally to 4,693,469.
- Prime Minister reviews Preparedness of Public Health Response to COVID-19 India PIB 17 Apr 2021 -- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a meeting to review the status of preparedness to handle the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Various aspects relating to medicines, oxygen, ventilators and vaccination were discussed.
- India's Cumulative Vaccination Coverage nears 12 Crores with over 30 Lakh doses given in the last 24 hours India PIB 17 Apr 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has nearly reached 12 Cr today as part of the world's largest vaccination drive.
- Union Health Minister Reviews Availability of Oxygen, Ventilators, Manpower, Medicines, Hospital Beds with 11 States/UT reporting Surge in COVID cases India PIB 17 Apr 2021 -- In line with the graded, pre-emptive and pro-active approach of Government of India, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare today chaired a high-level review meeting with the Health Ministers of 11 States/UTs to review measures taken by the States/UTs for prevention, containment and management of the recent surge in COVID-19 cases.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 92 India PIB 17 Apr 2021 -- The total vaccinations across the country has crossed more than 12.25 crore mark today with more than 25.65 lakh vaccine doses administered till 8 pm.
- COVID-19 kills 319 more people in Iran IRNA 17 Apr 2021 -- Some 319 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 66,327 Iran's Health Ministry said on Saturday.
- President: Lifestyle needs major shift to contain COVID-19 IRNA 17 Apr 2021 -- President Hassan Rouhani saaid on Saturday that lifestyle needs major shift to contain COVID-19 pandemic.
- Rouhani: Iran to administer 1.4m coronavirus vaccine doses by Friday Press TV 17 Apr 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says approximately 1.4 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccines will be administered in the country by Friday, in a bid to vaccinate high-risk groups.
- S. Korea Records 600s New Virus Cases for 2nd Day, Virus Battle at Inflection Point SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- South Korea's daily new coronavirus cases stayed in the 600s for the second straight day Friday as the country's virus fight is at a critical juncture of bracing for another wave of the pandemic, Yonhap reported.
- Japanese Prime Minister Suga asks Pfizer to send Japan more COVID-19 vaccines SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga asked U.S. drugmaker Pfizer Inc. on Saturday to provide additional supplies of COVID-19 vaccine to Japan, Nikkei reported, citing Japanese officials.
- Taiwan confirms 2 new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 17 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Saturday confirmed two new imported cases of COVID-19 involving recent arrivals from India, bringing the total number of cases in the nation to 1,072 since the pandemic emerged in late 2019, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Oman: 1035 Covid-19 new cases SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- As many as 1035 new cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) were registered in the Sultanate of Oman during the last 24 hours, in addition to 14 death cases, the Ministry of Health reported according to Oman News Agency (ONA).
- UAE Announces 1,958 New COVID-19 Cases, 1,545 Recoveries, 3 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 214,765 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, as WAM reported.
- Egypt Records 841 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- Egypt recorded, during the past 24 hours, 841 new infections with the Coronavirus "Covid-19" and 42 deaths.
- Philippines Extends Entry Ban on Foreigners to Curb COVID-19 Cases SPA 17 Apr 2021 -- The Philippines will extend its travel ban on new entries for foreigners until April 30, as the number of reported coronavirus cases remains high, Kyodo cited the country's government as saying Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|