14 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- FBI Director Concerned About QAnon's Potential for Violence VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- The FBI remains "concerned" about the far-right QAnon conspiracy movement's potential for violence and will soon release an unclassified threat assessment about the group, FBI Director Christopher Wray said Wednesday.
- Department of State Offers Reward for Information To Bring Mexican Drug Trafficking Cartel Member to Justice US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2021 -- Today the U.S. Department of State announces a reward of up to $5 million for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of Audias Flores-Silva, a high-level member of the Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion (CJNG â€“ Jalisco New Generation Cartel).
- Treasury Sanctions Regional Commander of Mexico's CJNG in Coordination with Justice and State Actions US Treasury 14 Apr 2021 -- Yesterday, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) identified Audias Flores Silva (Flores Silva) as a significant foreign narcotics trafficker pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act). Flores Silva (a.k.a. "Jardinero") is one of the Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion's (CJNG) regional commanders in control of large portions of CJNG territory along the Pacific coast of Mexico, including the state of Nayarit.
- UN experts urge US to align anti-terrorism programme with international law UN News 14 Apr 2021 -- A so-called "Rewards for Justice" programme in the United States is violating the human rights of some of the individuals it targets, independent UN human rights experts said on Wednesday.
- Turkish police detain 11 IS suspects in Istanbul People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Turkish police on Wednesday detained 11 suspected members of the Islamic State (IS) in large-scale operations in Turkey's largest city Istanbul, Turkish media said.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 14 Apr 2021
- COVID-19 variants pose biggest threat to U.S. economic recovery: bank president People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Variants of the novel coronavirus are the biggest risk for the U.S. economic recovery, Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank President Neel Kashkari has said.
- U.S. sees upward trend in COVID-19 cases for four weeks People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- The United States has seen an upward trend in COVID-19 cases for four consecutive weeks, as social distancing and mask mandates were lifted in some areas and more variants transmitted across the country.
- U.S. recommends pause in Johnson &Johnson COVID-19 vaccination over blood clot concerns People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- U.S. federal health agencies on Tuesday called for a pause in the use of Johnson &Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine after rare blood clotting cases emerged in six recipients.
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine pause may exacerbate 'vaccine hesitancy' in US, experts say Press TV 14 Apr 2021 -- The pause in the use of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine may lead to more "vaccine hesitancy" in the United States amid efforts by the Biden administration to save the country from the pandemic, according to some public health experts.
- J&J Pause Won't Delay Vaccinations, Says White House COVID-19 Response Team VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- The White House COVID-19 Response Team said Wednesday the decision by U.S. health officials to pause distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will have no effect on the government's vaccination program and should reassure the public that the system works.
- United States Reports 61,526 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- The United States of America reported 61,526 new confirmed COVID-19 cases and 569 deaths, during the past 24 hours.
- China's Sinovac to donate 50,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses to CONMEBOL People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- China's Sinovac Biotech will donate 50,000 doses of its COVID-19 vaccine to inoculate footballers in South America's top competitions this year, regional confederation CONMEBOL said on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong reports 5 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported five additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, the 26th consecutive day for the figure to stay below 10.
- Hong Kong reports 13 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 13 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, taking its total tally to 11,607.
- Over 175 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- More than 175.6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of Tuesday, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- China's Yunnan reports 1 new COVID-19 case People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Southwest China's Yunnan Province reported one confirmed COVID-19 case on Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- EU Makes Deal with Pfizer-BioNTech for 50 Million More Vaccine Doses VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- European Commission President Urusula Von der Leyen Wednesday announced the European Union has reached a deal with pharmaceutical partners Pfizer-BioNTech for 50 million additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine, to be delivered in the coming months.
- France suspends all flights with Brazil due to virus variant People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- France has decided to suspend all flights to and from Brazil to contain the spread of the coronavirus variant detected in the South American country, Prime Minister Jean Castex told the National Assembly on Tuesday.
- UK records another 2,472 coronavirus cases, 23 deaths People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Another 2,472 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,375,814, according to official figures released Tuesday.
- India's Cumulative Vaccination Coverage exceeds 11Crores on the 4th day of Tika Utsav with over 26 Lakh doses given in the last 24 hours India PIB 14 Apr 2021 -- The total number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 11 Cr todayon the fourth day of the Tika Utsav.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 89 India PIB 14 Apr 2021 -- Day 4 of the countrywide Tika Utsav saw the total vaccinations cross the 11.43 crore mark with more than 31.39 lakh vaccine doses were administered till 8 pm today. Today, 69,974 COVID Vaccination Centres (CVCs) were operational, marking a rise of an average of 24,000 operational Vaccination Centres ( 45,000 CVCs on an average are functional on any given day).. Workplace vaccinations have also enabled such a high turnout of beneficiaries.
- PM interacts with the Governors on Covid-19 situation and Vaccination Drive in the country India PIB 14 Apr 2021 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today interacted with Governors of States regarding the Covid-19 situation and ongoing vaccination drive in the country, through video conferencing.
- India's COVID-19 tally rises to 13,689,453, Philippines reports 8,571 new infections People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- More COVID-19 cases and deaths were reported in Asia-Pacific on Tuesday, as India recorded 161,736 new infections, taking the total to 13,689,453.
- India sees new record of 184,372 COVID-19 cases in 24 hours People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- A total of 184,372 new COVID-19 cases, and 1,027 deaths due to the pandemic, were registered across India in the past 24 hours, according to the latest data released by the federal health ministry on Wednesday.
- India's New Coronavirus Infections Hit Record of 184,372 SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- India's new coronavirus infections reached a record of 184,372 in the last 24 hours, health ministry data showed on Wednesday, as most of the south Asian nation battles a second surge in cases, according to Reuters.
- COVID-19 kills 304 more people in Iran IRNA 14 Apr 2021 -- Some 304 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 65,359 Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Wednesday.
- Jahanpour: Two European countries apply for Iranian corona vaccine IRNA 14 Apr 2021 -- The spokesman for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Kianoush Jahanpour has said that five countries including two European countries ask for Iranian Corona vaccine so far.
- Iran to launch second phase of vaccinations against COVID in early May Press TV 14 Apr 2021 -- A senior Iranian health ministry official says a second phase of vaccinations against COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus pandemic, would begin across the country in early May.
- South Korea records 731 new Coronavirus cases SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- South Korea recorded 731 new cases of the emerging Coronavirus, and 7 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 929 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 806 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 929 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 401,157, including 8,935 active cases.
- Taiwan confirms five new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 14 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported five new imported cases of COVID-19 and revoked Cambodia's designation as being a country of low-to-moderate risk from the disease.
- Hawaii conditionally lifts quarantine for visitors from Taiwan CNA 14 Apr 2021 -- People arriving in the American state of Hawaii from Taiwan will no longer be required to quarantine for 10 days, once they present proof of a negative COVID-19 test issued by designated hospitals, Taiwan's representative office there said Wednesday.
- North Korea Builds New Rail Route to Handle Chinese Freight During Pandemic Radio Free Asia 14 Apr 2021 -- North Korea has built a new rail route to its border with China designed to isolate freight in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus, an important first step toward restarting imports from its largest trading partner, sources in the country told RFA.
- Philippines logs 8,122 new COVID-19 cases, total nears 893,000 People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- The Philippines' Department of Health (DOH) reported on Wednesday 8,122 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infections, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Southeast Asian country to 892,880.
- Malaysia reports 1,767 new COVID-19 cases, 12 more deaths People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Malaysia reported 1,767 new COVID-19 infections, the health ministry said on Tuesday, bringing the national total to 363,940.
- Clinical trial approved in Australia for needle-free COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- The testing of a potentially needle-free COVID-19 vaccine has been approved in Australia.
- Thailand's new COVID-19 case tally hits daily record People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Thailand on Wednesday reported 1,335 new COVID-19 cases, the biggest daily increase since the pandemic began, taking the total caseload to 35,910, according to the Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).
- Canada's daily COVID-19 cases surpass 8,000 People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Over the past week, there has been an increase of 33 percent in daily case counts with an average of almost 8,100 new cases reported per day, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada on Tuesday.
- Mexico to begin clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine "Patria" People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Mexico plans to begin phase 1 clinical trials of "Patria," a locally-developed vaccine against the novel coronavirus, the National Council for Science and Technology said Tuesday.
- Kyiv Extends COVID Lockdown Till End Of April RFE/RL 14 Apr 2021 -- The Ukrainian capital Kyiv will remain on lockdown until April 30 as the daily number of new coronavirus cases and coronavirus-related deaths continues to climb.
- UAE Announces 1,798 New COVID-19 Cases, 1,492 Recoveries, 4 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 256,181 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, , according to WAM News Agency
- Kuwait Reports 1,544 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- Kuwait reported 1,544 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) and 7 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Tunisia Reports 1,664 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 14 Apr 2021 -- Tunisia reported 1,664 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 24 hours and 64 deaths from the pandemic.
- South Africa Pauses J&J Vaccination Campaign After US Expresses Concerns VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- South Africa's health minister says the nation will still hit its COVID-19 vaccination targets, even as it pauses the use of the Johnson & Johnson shot amid concerns over blood clots.
- Cameroon Health Workers Doubt Efficacy of Chinese COVID Vaccines VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- Health care workers in Cameroon say they are reluctant to take the coronavirus vaccines donated by China because they doubt the drug's efficacy.
- Kurdish Officials Demand Help With Looming COVID 'Catastrophe' in NE Syria VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- Kurdish officials in northeast Syria are expressing concerns over a sharp increase in coronavirus cases in their region, calling on international health organizations to intervene to prevent a "humanitarian catastrophe."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|