13 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Justice Department Announces Court-Authorized Effort to Disrupt Exploitation of Microsoft Exchange Server Vulnerabilities US Dept. of Justice 13 Apr 2021 -- Action Copied and Removed Web Shells that Provided Backdoor Access to Servers, but Additional Steps may be Required to Patch Exchange Server Software and to Expel Hackers from the Victims' Networks.
- Statement from Deputy National Security Advisor for Cyber & Emerging Technologies Anne Neuberger on New Microsoft Exchange Patches The White House 13 Apr 2021
- Number of US Troops Linked to Domestic Terror Plots Small but Growing VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- Two reports are raising new concerns about the extent to which current and former members of the U.S. military have not only adopted extremist ideology but are willing to act on those beliefs.
- Oath Keepers Leader Seeks to Distance Himself From Capitol Conspiracy VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- "They were dumb asses," Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes wrote on the encrypted app Signal in early March, blasting members of his anti-government militia group who breached the U.S. Capitol on January 6.
- H5N6 bird flu found in wild birds in Northeast China, first confirmed cases of the strain this year Global Times 13 Apr 2021 -- A highly pathogenic H5N6 avian flu has been found in wild birds in Shenyang, a city in Northeast China's Liaoning Province, China's agriculture and rural affairs ministry said on Monday. The new cases mark the first confirmed cases of the flu in China this year.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 13 April 2021
- Despite short supply, COVAX distributes nearly 40 million vaccine doses: WHO People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Close to 40 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have already been distributed through the COVAX Facility, half of them in Africa, but vaccine supplies are still stalled due to "tremendous demand" especially in India, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- Global weekly new COVID-19 cases keep rising despite vaccine rollout: WHO People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Even more than 780 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered globally, the world has seen seven consecutive weeks of increasing cases and four weeks of increasing deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday, urging for consistent public health measures alongside equitable vaccination.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 13 Apr 2021
- US Pauses Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Over Rare Blood Clots VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- U.S. health officials have pressed pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine after a handful of people developed a rare but serious blood-clotting disorder following vaccination.
- Several U.S. states shut down Johnson & Johnson vaccine sites after adverse reactions reported People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Several states in the United States have temporarily shut down some vaccine sites after people suffered adverse reactions to the shot.
- US calls for pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine after blood clotting cases Press TV 13 Apr 2021 -- US health officials have called for an immediate pause in use of Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine after some people receiving the shots in the United States developed a rare disorder involving blood clots.
- Statement from Jeff Zients, White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator on Johnson & Johnson Vaccine The White House 13 Apr 2021
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jen Psaki, NIAID Director and Chief Medical Advisor to the President Dr. Anthony Fauci, and COVID-19 Response Coordinator Jeff Zients, April 13, 2021 The White House 13 Apr 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Targeted Effort to Vaccinate Workers at New York State Farms and Food Production Companies New York State 13 Apr 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Addresses Pause on Johnson & Johnson Vaccine New York State 13 Apr 2021
- Chinese FM responds to Blinken over coronavirus response, asking how US politicians have courage on this topic Global Times 13 Apr 2021 -- In response to the latest criticism from US Secretary of State Antony Blinken over China's handling of the early stages of the coronavirus outbreak, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian asked why certain politicians in the US had the courage to criticize China when the US government did so poorly in containing the outbreak and its failure in responding to the epidemic led to the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives in America.
- China's first mRNA vaccine expected to enter Phase III trials in LatAm, paves way for mixed jabs against variants Global Times 13 Apr 2021 -- The first China-developed mRNA COVID-19 vaccine is expected to enter Phase III clinical trials overseas next month, vaccine developer Suzhou Abogen Biosciences confirmed to the Global Times on Tuesday, another step forward in China's vaccine development despite attacks from Western media on the efficacy of Chinese doses.
- China to join hands with other countries to defeat pandemic: Chinese FM People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said here Monday that China will stick to solidarity and mutual assistance and join hands with other countries to eventually defeat the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Hong Kong announces plans of easing social distancing measures, travel restrictions People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Monday announced plans of easing social distancing measures such as extending dining hours in restaurants under the condition that staff and customers are vaccinated.
- China's Hubei administers 10.7 million COVID-19 vaccine doses People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Central China's Hubei Province, once hard hit by COVID-19, had administered 10.69 million coronavirus vaccine doses as of Saturday, a provincial official said here Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case in Yunnan Province, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Britain Reopens as Rest of Europe Goes Into Lockdown VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- Much of Europe has been forced back into lockdown amid a deadly third wave of the coronavirus. In Britain however, pubs, shops and services reopened Monday as the government hailed its vaccination program for cutting infections.
- German Chancellor Seeks Nationwide COVID-19 Restrictions VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday she is asking Parliament for temporary powers that would allow her federal government to implement nationwide coronavirus lockdowns to curb a third wave of the pandemic in the country.
- Roundup: Parts of Europe ease COVID lockdown amid fears over repeat of disaster People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Parts of Europe on Monday edged further toward normalcy as the situation improved in their countries despite concerns over the third wave of coronavirus. Experts have warned that European countries could risk a repeat of the disaster if the lockdowns were lifted too soon or the public fail to stick to rules.
- UK Records 2472 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2472 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 23 deaths.
- On Day-3 of Tika Utsav, India's Cumulative Vaccination Coverage exceeds 10.85 crore with over 40 Lakh doses given in the last 24 hours India PIB 13 Apr 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 10.85 Cr today as the Tika Utsav enters the third day.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 88 India PIB 13 Apr 2021 -- Day 3 of the countrywide Tika Utsav saw the total vaccinations cross the 11 crore mark. More than 25 lakh vaccine doses were administered till 8 pm today. While 45,000 COVID Vaccination Centres (CVCs) on an average are functional on any given day, 67,893 CVCs were operational today, marking a rise of more than 21,000 operational Vaccination Centres. Workplace vaccinations have also enabled such a high turnout of beneficiaries.
- The National Regulator grants Permission for Restricted Use in Emergency Situations to Sputnik-V vaccine India PIB 13 Apr 2021 -- The Union Government has been leading the fight against COVID-19 with a proactive and 'Whole of Government' approach, with focus on containment, surveillance, testing, COVID Appropriate Behaviour and vaccination.
- Centre fast tracks Emergency Approvals for foreign produced COVID-19 Vaccines that have been granted EUA in other countries to Expand the Basket of Vaccines for Domestic Use and Hasten the Pace and Coverage of Vaccination India PIB 13 Apr 2021 -- India is following a comprehensive approach to tackle COVID-19 pandemic in a proactive and pre-emptive manner. In this context, as early as May 2020, India constituted a Task Force headed by Principal Scientific Advisor to encourage R&D for vaccine manufacture & constituted in August 2020 an Expert Group headed by Member, NITI to assist in roll out of the Covid vaccination programme.
- India's deaths surpass 170,000, Bangladesh issues fresh directives for full lockdown People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- The following are the latest developments of the COVID-19 pandemic in Asia-Pacific countries on Monday:
- COVID-19 resurgence impedes economic recovery in India People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- As India battles the second wave of COVID-19 with over 100,000 cases reported every day over the past six days, experts fear the spike will cause a huge setback to the country's economy.
- India Approves Russia's Sputnik COVID Vaccine RFE/RL 13 Apr 2021 -- India has granted emergency use authorization for Russia's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine, giving the nation of 1.3 billion people a third shot as it faces vaccine shortages and an intensifying second wave of the virus.
- India Reports More Than 161,000 New COVID-19 Cases, 879 Deaths SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- India reported 161,736 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) during the past 24 hours, which brought the total number of cases to 13,689,453.
- India Approves Russian Vaccine While Battling Devastating COVID Surge VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- India has approved Russia's Sputnik V vaccine for emergency use against COVID-19 as the country battles a devastating second wave of the pandemic.
- Five countries demand to buy COVIran Barekat vaccine IRNA 13 Apr 2021 -- The chairman of Executive Office of Imam Khomeini's Order said that at least two European and three regional countries have written and persistently demanded to purchase the Iranian COVID-19 vaccine (COVIran Barekat).
- COVID-19 kills 291 more people in Iran IRNA 13 Apr 2021 -- Some 291 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 65,055, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Tuesday.
- Iran to initiate mass production of COVID vaccines next week IRNA 13 Apr 2021 -- Chairman of Executive Office of Imam Khomeini's Order said on Tuesday that Barekat Foundation will start mass production of COVID-19 vaccines next week from April 21.
- Iran reports 23,311 new COVID-19 cases; Iraq receives 2nd batch of China-donated vaccines People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Iran on Monday reported 23,311 new COVID-19 cases, taking the country's total infections to 2,093,452. Meanwhile, Iraq received the second batch of COVID-19 vaccines donated by China on Sunday.
- Press TV reports: Iran deal remedial steps to remarkably increase after nuclear sabotage Press TV 13 Apr 2021 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman tells Press TV that Iran's remedial measures taken in retaliation for the United States' unilateral withdrawal from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and re-imposition of sanctions will "remarkably increase" after the recent act of sabotage against a nuclear facility in the country.
- 3 more Japanese prefectures take tougher measures amid surging COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- Tokyo, Kyoto and Okinawa prefectures on Monday implemented new stricter measures to combat a COVID-19 resurgence just weeks after a state of emergency was fully lifted for the nation.
- Health Ministry: 951 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 608 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced today in a statement that 951 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 400,228, including 8,820 active cases.
- Taiwan confirms four new imported cases of COVID-19 CNA 13 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Tuesday confirmed four new imported cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 1,062, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- African leaders urge continent to produce its own COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 13 Apr 2021 -- "Africa must put in place resources and measures to ensure it produces its own vaccines for the current crisis and the future," Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, director-general of the World Trade Organization (WTO) said during Africa's vaccine manufacturing virtual conference on Monday.
- Morocco Records 684 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- Morocco recorded 684 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 502961.
- Lebanon Reports 1985 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- Lebanon reported 1985 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 499839.
- Algeria Records 154 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- Algerian Ministry of Health recorded, during the past twenty-four hours, 154 new lab-confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19).
- UAE Reports 2,022 New COVID-19 cases SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 266,023 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, according to WAM News Agency.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|