08 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- US pres. eyes Russia retaliation after review of 'hacking, meddling' Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- US President Joe Biden is considering "retaliatory actions" against Russia as his administration officials have completed an intelligence review of alleged Russian election interference and hacking, a US media report says.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- UN Refugee Agency calls for equitable access to coronavirus vaccines for refugees People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- On the occasion of World Health Day, April 7, the United Nations (UN) Refugee Agency (UNHCR) called for "concerted international action and solidarity" to secure access to COVID-19 vaccines for refugees, and for forcibly displaced and stateless people.
- COVID-19 equitable vaccine scheme reaches more than 100 countries and economies UN News 08 Apr 2021 -- More than 100 countries and economies have now received COVID-19 vaccines through the UN-partnered equitable coronavirus-busting scheme, COVAX.
- Migrants left stranded and without assistance by COVID-19 lockdowns UN News 08 Apr 2021 -- Travel restrictions during the COVID pandemic have been particularly hard on refugees and migrants who move out of necessity, stranding millions from home, the UN migration agency, IOM, said on Thursday.
- New Guidelines Issued After Blood Clots Linked to AstraZeneca Vaccine VOA 08 Apr 2021 -- Several nations have issued new guidelines over the use of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine after the European Union's medical regulator announced a link between the vaccine and rare, possibly fatal blood clots.
- Defense Health Officials Provide a COVID-19 Update to Media DoD 08 Apr 2021 -- Army Lieutenant General Ronald J. Place, Director, Defense Health Agency; Army Major General Jill K. Faris, Deputy Surgeon General, Army National Guard; Navy Rear Admiral Gayle Shaffer, Deputy Surgeon General, U.S. Navy; Air Force Major General Robert Miller, Deputy Surgeon General, U.S. Air Force; Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby
- UK coronavirus variant is now dominant strain in US, CDC says Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- The director of the United States' Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the variant of coronavirus first found in the United Kingdom has turned into the dominant strain of the virus in the US.
- Hong Kong reports 10 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 10 more confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, taking its total tally to 11,549.
- China administers nearly 140 million COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- China is working to ensure its vaccination efforts in major areas and key industries based on the overall plan of the country, inoculating the eligible population as widely as possible and progressing in stages, said Wu Liangyou, deputy director of the NHC's Disease Prevention and Control Bureau.
- Over 500,000 people given first COVID-19 vaccine shot in Hong Kong People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- About 502,500 Hong Kong residents have taken the first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine, official data showed.
- China's Yunnan reports 11 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- Southwest China's Yunnan Province reported 11 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and one new asymptomatic case on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said on Thursday.
- 2nd round of coronavirus testing underway in China's Ruili People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- The city of Ruili in southwest China's Yunnan Province is conducting its second round of city-wide nucleic acid testing for COVID-19, with 353,960 people sampled by 6 p.m. Wednesday, according to the local government.
- Bulgaria Eases Restrictions, Citing Improving COVID-19 Data RFE/RL 08 Apr 2021 -- Bulgarian officials have announced they are easing restrictions on businesses and other commercial activity, citing improving numbers of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations.
- German State Signs Agreement For Sputnik Purchase Pending Regulatory Approval RFE/RL 08 Apr 2021 -- The German state of Bavaria has signed an agreement to buy 2.5 million doses of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine once it is approved by European regulators.
- Russia Demands Slovakia Return Sputnik Vaccine After Regulator Cites Discrepancies RFE/RL 08 Apr 2021 -- The backer of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine has demanded that Slovakia return thousands of doses after the country's drug regulator said the doses received differed from those being reviewed by the European Union's drug overseer.
- India's Cumulative Vaccination Coverage exceeds 9 Crores with nearly 30 Lakh Vaccine doses given in the last 24 hours India PIB 08 Apr 2021 -- In its collective and collaborative fight against the global pandemic, India has crossed a landmark milestone under the world's largest vaccination drive, which was launched on 16th Jan this year. The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 9 Cr today.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 83 India PIB 08 Apr 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 9.40 Crore today.
- PM interacts with the Chief Ministers on Covid-19 situation India PIB 08 Apr 2021 -- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi interacted with the Chief Ministers of various states today regarding the COVID-19 situation via video conference.
- India Reports Record 126,789 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 Apr 2021 -- India reported a record-high 126,789 new COVID-19 cases, health ministry data showed on Thursday, with much of the country struggling to contain a second surge in coronavirus infections, according to Reuters.
- Vaccine Shortage Ignites Political Blame Game in India as COVID Cases Shoot Up Sputnik 08 Apr 2021 -- On Thursday, India recorded its highest one-day spike of COVID-19 to date, with 126,789 new cases over 24 hours. The total number of COVID-19 infections has reached 12.92 million and the death toll has reached 166,862, including 685 new fatalities.
- COVID-19 kills 185 more people in Iran IRNA 08 Apr 2021 -- Some 185 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 63,884, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Thursday.
- Pres. Rouhani: US accountable for hampering Iran's imports of COVID-19 vaccines IRNA 08 Apr 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday that Iran had difficulty with the purchase of COVID-19 vaccines though it had the money in foreign accounts, the Iranian assets were blocked by the US administration.
- Rouhani: US blocked Iran's access to 10m doses of coronavirus vaccine Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the United States blocked Iran's access to ten million doses of a coronavirus vaccine by pressuring the companies involved in the transferring of the vaccines to Iran.
- Iran Hits Coronavirus Case Record For Third Consecutive Day; Infections Above 2 Million RFE/RL 08 Apr 2021 -- Iranian authorities say COVID-19 cases have surpassed 2 million, with a new daily record of more than 22,000 infections, following the Persian New Year holiday.
- South Korea Reports 700 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 700 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 902 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 469 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 08 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that (902) new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to (395,854), including (7,468) active cases.
- COVID-19 vaccinations pass 20,000, self-paid option available soon CNA 08 Apr 2021 -- The number of people who have received the first shot of a COVID-19 vaccine in Taiwan has passed 20,000, and those not on the priority list could be allowed to pay for a jab by late April, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- El Salvador receives cargo of COVID-19 vaccines donated by China People's Daily 08 Apr 2021 -- El Salvador announced Wednesday it is ready to distribute more vaccines as part of its national vaccination campaign against COVID-19, after a cargo of doses donated by China arrived late Tuesday.
- Jordan Records 96 New COVID Deaths, 4,775 Infections on Thursday SPA 08 Apr 2021 -- Ninety-six (96) new deaths and 4,775 cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were recorded in Jordan on Thursday.
- UAE Announces 2,112 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 Apr 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 249,014 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- WHO: Africa Left Behind in Race for COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 08 Apr 2021 -- The World Health Organization says Africa's rollout of COVID-19 vaccine is being hampered by supply shortages and delays in planned deliveries. To date, the WHO reports 4.3 million cases of COVID-19 in Africa, including 114,000 deaths.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|