06 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Man Sentenced to 12 Years for Attempting to Purchase Chemical Weapon on the Dark Web US Dept. of Justice 06 Apr 2021 -- A Missouri man was sentenced to 12 years in federal prison without parole today for attempting to purchase a chemical weapon, capable of killing hundreds of people, on the dark web with Bitcoin.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Epidemiological Update WHO 06 Apr 2021
- New Vaccines No 'Guarantee of Victory' Over COVID, Experts Say VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- A group of international public health experts says a successful rollout of new vaccines is "no longer a guarantee of victory" over the coronavirus pandemic.
- Clarity still needed on effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccine passports, says UN health agency UN News 06 Apr 2021 -- Being vaccinated against COVID-19 may not prevent transmission and vaccination passports may not be an "effective strategy" for restarting travel, the World Health Organization (WHO) cautioned on Tuesday.
- COVID-19: AstraZeneca vaccine benefits still 'largely positive' UN News 06 Apr 2021 -- The benefits of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine are still "largely positive" and outweigh risk of rare but serious blood clots, according to an official with the World Health Organization (WHO), speaking on Tuesday during the agency's regular press briefing from Geneva.
- Remarks by President Biden Marking the 150 Millionth COVID-19 Vaccine Shot The White House 06 Apr 2021
- Remarks by President Biden During Tour of Vaccination Site The White House 06 Apr 2021
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 06 Apr 2021
- Biden Accelerates Deadline for Opening COVID-19 Vaccinations VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- Every adult in the United States will be eligible within two weeks to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, President Joe Biden announced on Tuesday, moving up by two weeks the previous May 1 deadline for open season for inoculations.
- All US Adults Will Be Eligible for COVID Vaccinations on April 19, Biden Says VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden is announcing Tuesday that every adult in the country will be eligible by April 19 to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, about two weeks earlier than his original May 1 date.
- White House warns of 'fourth wave' of COVID-19 and 'new pandemic' in US Press TV 06 Apr 2021 -- A White House health advisor has warned of a "new pandemic" and a "fourth wave" of COVID-19 in the United States, saying even vaccinated Americans should still avoid non-essential travel.
- Biden: New Coronavirus Variants Spread in US, Number of Cases Up Sputnik 06 Apr 2021 -- US President Joe Biden on Tuesday warned that new types of the novel coronavirus are spreading across the United States and that the number of people testing positive is again increasing.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 6,885 SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 6,885 to 2,900,768, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- Serbian President Opts For Chinese Vaccine In TV Event For Skeptical Public RFE/RL 06 Apr 2021 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has been vaccinated with the Chinese-developed Sinopharm vaccine in a televised event aimed at encouraging skeptical Serbians to get an injection against COVID-19.
- Russia Reports 8,328 New COVID-19 cases SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- Russia reported 8,328 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, including 1,747 in Moscow, taking the official national tally to 4,597,868.
- India crosses a Landmark Milestone with Highest Single day Vaccine Coverage of more than 43 Lakh doses administered in the last 24 hours India PIB 06 Apr 2021 -- In a landmark achievement in India's fight against Covid19, more than 43 lakh vaccination doses were administered in the last 24 hours. This is the highest single day vaccination coverage in the country so far.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 81 India PIB 06 Apr 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 8.40 Crore today.
- Union Health Minister Reviews the COVID-19 Situation and Vaccination Progress in Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab and Rajasthan India PIB 06 Apr 2021 -- The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan chaired a high-level review meeting with Health Ministers, Additional Chief Secretaries and Principal Secretaries (Health) of States/UTs of Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab and Rajasthan.
- Iran extends traffic restriction to Iraq for COVID-19 IRNA 06 Apr 2021 -- Iran's Deputy Interior Minister for Security Affairs Hossein Zolfaghari on Tuesday said that the traffic restriction to the neighboring state Iraq was extended for two weeks.
- Rouhani stresses provision of COVAX, support for domestic COVID-19 vaccines IRNA 06 Apr 2021 -- President Hassan Rouhani appreciated different organizations for their efforts to provide foreign COVID-19 vaccines for the Iranian people and stressed domestic production of the vaccine.
- COVID-19 kills 174 more people in Iran IRNA 06 Apr 2021 -- Some 174 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 63,506, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Tuesday.
- 1st Iran-made corona vaccine ready within 40 days IRNA 06 Apr 2021 -- Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi has announced that among nine COVID-19 vaccines, which are under development in Iran, the first home-made corona vaccine will be available within 40 days.
- Iran ready for mass-production of domestically developed COVID-19 vaccines: official IRNA 06 Apr 2021 -- Iran has worked out the first phase of producing the domestically made COVID-19 vaccines â€“ Cov-Iran Barekat â€“ and the vaccines are ready for mass production, an official with the knowledge of the case said on Tuesday.
- South Korea Reports 478 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 478 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry Reports 792 New Confirmed Cases and 467 Recoveries; Calls for Strict Adhering to Anti-Virus Preventive Measures SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced that 792 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia today, bringing the total number to 394,169, including 6,686 active cases.
- Al-Sudais: Immunization against COVID-19 Precondition to Enter Two Holy Mosques SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- The President General of the Grand Mosque and Prophet's Mosques' Affairs, Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz Al-Sudais, has stressed that the decision to only allow immunized people who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 into Two Holy Mosques reflects the Saudi Leadership's keenness on the safety of pilgrims and worshippers.
- Taiwan confirms two new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 06 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Tuesday confirmed two new imported cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 1,050, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- North Korea Opting Out of Tokyo Olympics Amid COVID-19 Concerns - Reports Sputnik 06 Apr 2021 -- North Korea will not participate in the Tokyo Olympic Games this summer because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, citing the North Korean sports ministry's news service.
- North Korea Withdraws from Tokyo Olympics, Citing Pandemic VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- North Korea says it will not participate in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.
- China-Myanmar border city Ruili starts 2nd round of COVID-19 testing Global Times 06 Apr 2021 -- With pressure from a new surge of COVID-19, the China-Myanmar border city Ruili in Southwest China's Yunnan Province launched a second round of mass nucleic acid testing on Tuesday.
- Georgian Prime Minister Garibashvili Says He Has Tested Positive For Coronavirus RFE/RL 06 Apr 2021 -- Georgian Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili says he has tested positive for the coronavirus and is in isolation.
- Jordan Records 6,005 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- Jordanian Ministry of Health announced the registration of 6,005 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of lab-confirmed infections to 645,449.
- Iraq Records 7,300 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 06 Apr 2021 -- Iraq recorded 7,300 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus during the past 24 hours, which brought the total number of lab-confirmed infections to 887,291.
- Malawi Teachers Resume Strike Over COVID-19 Risk Allowances VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- Teachers in Malawi's public schools have resumed a nationwide strike after the government backed out of a promise to pay bonuses for COVID-19 risk. Malawi authorities say the government has no money to pay the teachers, who risk contracting the coronavirus by teaching classes in person.
- New Zealand and Australia Announce COVID-19 Travel 'Bubble' VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said a quarantine-free travel "bubble" with trans-Tasman neighbor Australia will start on April 18. It will allow unrestricted movement between two countries that have managed to contain the virus through strict lockdowns and international border closures.
- Tanzania Orders Reopening of Media Houses Closed Under Magufuli VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- Tanzanian President Samia Suluhu Hassan has ordered the reopening of media outlets that were closed or otherwise repressed under President John Magufuli, who died last month. In a further break from Magufuli, Hassan said Tuesday that Tanzania will begin following scientific procedures in handling the coronavirus.
- NGOs Demand Cambodia Suspend Debt, Interest Payments Amid Latest Coronavirus Outbreak Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2021 -- More than 100 NGOs called on Cambodia's government Tuesday to direct microfinance institutions (MFI) and lenders to suspend all loan repayments and interest accrual for at least three months to allow borrowers the ability to shelter at home during the country's latest and deadliest coronavirus outbreak.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|