01 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Man and Woman Charged with Attempting and Conspiring to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 01 Apr 2021 -- James Bradley, aka Abdullah, and His Wife, Arwa Muthana, Were Arrested at a Seaport in New Jersey While Allegedly Attempting to Travel Overseas to Join and Fight for ISIS
- USS Wichita Interdicts $17 Million in Drugs US Navy 01 Apr 2021 -- The Freedom-variant littoral combat ship USS Wichita (LCS 13) with embarked U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) Law Enforcement Detachment (LEDET) 402 seized 400 kilograms of suspected cocaine, March 13.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- New COVID-19 cases continue to rise globally in past week: WHO People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday reported in its weekly epidemiological update that new COVID-19 cases continued to rise for the fifth week in a row, with over 3.8 million new cases reported last week.
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine reported 100 pct effective in kids aged 12-15 People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has demonstrated 100 percent efficacy and robust antibody responses in a Phase 3 trial in adolescents 12 to 15 years of age, the two companies announced on Wednesday.
- Errors ruin 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine Press TV 01 Apr 2021 -- Nearly 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine were ruined due to a factory error in the United States, dealing a blow to the company's efforts to quickly boost production.
- Vaccine equity: 'Race is on' to inoculate health workers and those most at risk globally UN News 01 Apr 2021 -- As the equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines continues to be a major concern, the UN health chief said on Thursday that with just over a week remaining until the deadline for vaccinating health workers and those at-risk in all countries is reached, it still remained "in our grasp".
- NYS COVID-19 hospitalizations down to 4,651, positivity rate 3.80 pct: governor People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York state dropped to 4,651 on Tuesday, compared with 4,715 one day earlier, tweeted Governor Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday.
- US may be in early stages of fourth wave as Covid cases rise Press TV 01 Apr 2021 -- A fourth wave of the Covid-19 pandemic could hit the United States with cases rising in 25 states, according to reports.
- Wisconsin National Guard troops support COVID vaccinations Army News 01 Apr 2021 -- Citizen-Soldiers and -Airmen from the Wisconsin National Guard have helped local health departments administer more than 60,000 vaccines across Wisconsin since establishing the first mobile vaccination teams in late January.
- Michigan Guard vaccinates more than 323,000 in 90 days Army News 01 Apr 2021 -- During the first 90 days of 2021, the Michigan National Guard (MING) has supported communities throughout the state and administered more than 323,000 COVID-19 vaccinations in the fight against the virus.
- WHO likely to grant Chinese vaccines emergency use by April Global Times 01 Apr 2021 -- Sinovac and Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines are likely to be included into the emergency use list of the World Health Organization (WHO) by the end of April despite WHO experts saying that data of the vaccines on elderly people are lacking.
- China-Myanmar border cities launch mass vaccination as 29 new COVID-19 infections reported Global Times 01 Apr 2021 -- The city of Ruili in Southwest China's Yunnan Province, which borders Myanmar, reported six new COVID-19 cases and 23 silent carriers on Wednesday. The domestic resurgence is thought to have been the result of illegal border crossing, prompting the local government to impose strict controls in the border area.
- Chinese mainland reports 6 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported six new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in southwest China's Yunnan Province, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Beijing vaccinates 9.57 million residents against COVID-19 People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Chinese capital Beijing has administered coronavirus vaccines to more than 9.57 million people, local authorities said on Thursday.
- Hong Kong reports 6 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported six additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, taking the total tally to 11,467.
- Chinese PLA provides COVID-19 vaccines to Cambodian military PLA Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- In order to implement President Xi Jinping's important declaration on making China's COVID-19 vaccine a global public good, with the approval of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) and at the request of the Cambodian military, the second batch of COVID-19 vaccines assisted by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was delivered to the Cambodian military on March 31.
- COVID-19 vaccine rollout 'unacceptably slow' in Europe, WHO warns UN News 01 Apr 2021 -- Rollout of COVID-19 vaccines in Europe is "unacceptably slow" as new cases increase among practically all age groups there, according to the regional office of the World Health Organization (WHO), which covers 53 countries and territories.
- Covid vaccine rollout 'unbearably slow' in Europe as cases rise: WHO warns Press TV 01 Apr 2021 -- The World Health Organization has warned the Europe over its "unacceptably slow" vaccine rollout, saying the region's spike in coronavirus infections was "worrying".
- WHO Laments Europe's 'Unacceptably Slow' COVID-19 Vaccination Rates VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- The World Health Organization says Europe's COVID-19 vaccination efforts are "unacceptably slow" in the face of a new surge of the virus and new, more contagious variants.
- UK records another 4,052 coronavirus cases, 43 deaths People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Another 4,052 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,345,788, according to official figures released Wednesday.
- Britain-EU row over coronavirus vaccine likely to continue amid supply shortages People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Tensions remain unabated between Britain and the European Union (EU) as a spat over COVID-19 vaccines is likely to go on due to continued shortage of supplies.
- Over 2 mln Romanians vaccinated against COVID-19 People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The total number of people vaccinated against the coronavirus exceeded 2 million in Romania on Wednesday, reaching 2,015,307.
- Sweden keeps COVID-19 curbs in place as infections exceed 800,000 People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The COVID-19 restrictions currently in force in Sweden will not be lifted as early as planned, the government said at a press conference here on Wednesday.
- Moldovan President Says Vaccines Diverted To Officials' Relatives, Authorities Investigate RFE/RL 01 Apr 2021 -- Moldovan President Maia Sandu has said that almost 700 doses of COVID-19 vaccines intended for health-care workers and the critically vulnerable have instead been diverted to public officials and family members, including employees of the Defense Ministry and regional authorities,
- Germany Reports 24300 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 01 Apr 2021 -- Germany reported 24300 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- German Health Minister Calls for Vaccine Stockpile VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- Germany's health minister, Jens Spahn, Thursday stressed the need for Germany to stock up on COVID-19 vaccine for possible repeat shots next year, and said the nation should do so with or without the rest of the European Union.
- Russia adds 8,275 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Russia registered 8,275 new COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, bringing the national tally to 4,545,095, the country's COVID-19 response center said Wednesday.
- Russia Reports 9,169 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 01 Apr 2021 -- Russia reported 9,169 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, including 2,151 in Moscow, pushing the infection tally in the country to 4,554,264 since the pandemic began.
- Russia's RDIF Says Agreement Reached to Produce 100Mln Doses of Sputnik V Vaccine in China Sputnik 01 Apr 2021 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) announced on Thursday that it agreed with China's TopRidge Pharma pharmaceutical company to produce over 100 million doses of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine annually in China.
- Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Punjab, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Madhya Pradesh continue to report steep rise in Daily New Cases India PIB 01 Apr 2021 -- Eight States, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Punjab, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh continue to show a steep rise in the COVID daily new cases. 84.61% of the new cases are reported from these 8 states.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination India PIB 01 Apr 2021 -- In a significant step to exponentially expand the countrywide Vaccination drive, the Centre has decided to operationalize both public and private sector COVID Vaccination Centres (CVCs) on all days of month of April (from today till 30th April 2021). The Centre has written to all States and UTs today and asked them to make necessary arrangements to provide COVID vaccination in these CVCs on all days of the month including gazetted holidays during April 2021.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 76 India PIB 01 Apr 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 6.75 Crore today.
- India's COVID-19 tally reaches 12,221,665 with over 72,000 new cases People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- India's COVID-19 tally rose to 12,221,665 on Thursday as 72,330 new cases were reported from across the country, according to the latest figures released by federal health ministry.
- 2 batches of purchased Chinese COVID-19 vaccines handed over to Pakistan People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The first batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines and the first batch of CanSino COVID-19 vaccines that the Pakistani government purchased were officially handed over to the Pakistani side with a ceremony held at the Noor Khan Air Base near the country's capital Islamabad on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 claims 94 lives in Iran over past 24 hours: Official IRNA 01 Apr 2021 -- 94 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 62,759, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari announced on Thursday.
- Iran tops 10,000 new single-day COVID-19 cases as vaccination campaign unfolds People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Iran reported 10,330 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, taking its nationwide caseload to 1,885,564.
- Iran's single-day COVID-19 cases top 10,000; Palestine receives another batch of vaccines People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Iran reported 10,330 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, taking its nationwide caseload to 1,885,564. Meanwhile, Palestine received another batch of COVID-19 vaccines.
- S. Korea reports 551 more COVID-19 cases, 103,639 in total People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 551 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Wednesday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 103,639.
- Health Ministry: 590 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 386 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 01 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 590 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 390,597, including 5,452 active cases.
- Taiwan reports 6 new imported COVID-19 cases, urges strict anti-epidemic measures People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported six new imported COVID-19 cases from the United States, Myanmar, Indonesia, Ethiopia and Bangladesh, the local epidemic monitoring agency said.
- Taiwan reports six new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 01 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Thursday confirmed six new imported cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 1,036, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Authorities Order Strict Curfew in Cambodia's Capital to Curb Spread of Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 01 Apr 2021 -- Authorities in Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh have ordered a strict curfew as part of a bid to stem the spread of the country's latest coronavirus outbreak, but human rights groups called the measure "unrealistic," saying it will cause legal issues for people dealing with emergencies.
- Cambodia receives new batch of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- A special plane carrying a new batch of China-donated Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines arrived in the capital of Cambodia Wednesday night, giving the country bigger possibility to inoculate its citizens against COVID-19.
- Indonesia reports 5,937 new COVID-19 cases, Cambodia to begin vaccination drive with China's Sinovac vaccine People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia on Wednesday rose by 5,937 within one day to 1,511,712, with the death toll adding by 104 to 40,858, the Health Ministry said.
- Malaysia reports 1,482 new COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Malaysia reported 1,482 new COVID-19 infections, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday, bringing the national total to 345,500.
- Iraq reports highest 6,664 daily COVID-19 cases, 850,924 in total People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Health reported on Wednesday 6,664 new coronavirus cases, the highest daily increase since the outbreak of the pandemic, raising the total nationwide infections to 850,924.
- Ukraine to receive first batch of COVID-19 vaccines under COVAX People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Ukrainian Health Minister Maksym Stepanov said that Ukraine will receive its first batch of COVID-19 vaccines through the COVAX facility by April 15, Ukrinform news agency reported on Wednesday.
- Nepal to use Chinese vaccine among people aged 40-59 years People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Nepali government has decided to inoculate the COVID-19 vaccine donated by China among people aged 40-59 years, a senior official of Nepal's Ministry of Health and Population said.
- Australia falls over 80 pct short of COVID vaccination target People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Australian government has administered a little more than 670,000 vaccines as of Wednesday, 16.7 percent of its target number in March since the rollout began in February.
- Turkey reports 39,302 new COVID-19 cases, 3,317,182 in total People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Turkey on Wednesday confirmed 39,302 new COVID-19 cases, including 1,401 symptomatic patients, as the total number of positive cases in the country reached 3,317,182, according to its health ministry.
- Another batch of COVID-19 vaccines arrive in West Bank People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- The Palestinian government on Wednesday received 25,000 doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, according to a cabinet minister.
- Uzbekistan Starts Mass Vaccination Against COVID-19 RFE/RL 01 Apr 2021 -- Health authorities in Uzbekistan kicked off a mass vaccination campaign against COVID-19 on April 1 with the first residents of Tashkent and regional capitals getting their shots.
- Zimbabwe's Food Insecurity Escalates During COVID-19 Lockdowns VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- A new report from Zimbabwe's government says hunger and food insecurity have increased during the coronavirus pandemic. The World Food Program says the problem is especially acute for unemployed residents of the cities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|