29 March 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Rewards for Justice â€“ Reward Offer for Information on Salim Jamil Ayyash US Dept. of State 29 Mar 2021 -- The U.S. Department of State's Rewards for Justice program is offering a reward of up to $10 million for information leading to the location or identification of Salim Jamil Ayyash, a senior operative in the assassination unit of the terrorist organization Lebanese Hizballah, or information leading to preventing him from engaging in an act of international terrorism against a U.S. person or U.S. property.
- US Offers Up to $10Mln Reward for Information on Senior Hezbollah Operative Sputnik 29 Mar 2021 -- The United States has offered a reward of up to $10 million for information that would result in determining the location or identification of senior Hezbollah operative Salim Jamil Ayyash, a US State Department said in a release on Monday.
- Letter to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate on the Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect to Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities The White House 29 Mar 2021
- Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities The White House 29 Mar 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Operationl Update WHO 29 Mar 2021
- WHO chief says rich countries responsible for COVID-19 deaths in other countries People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has been particularly condemning rich countries, saying they are directly responsible for the deaths of high-risk people in low- and middle-income countries, USA Today reported on Thursday.
- 'Gross Inequities': World Officials Warn of Unfair COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Sputnik 29 Mar 2021 -- Last month, United Nations Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres revealed that only 10 countries have distributed 75% of the world's available COVID-19 vaccine supply, while more than 100 countries have yet to receive their first doses.
- DOD Awards $146.77 Million Contract to Puritan Medical Products to Increase Domestic Production Capacity of Foam Tip Swabs DoD 29 Mar 2021 -- On March 26, 2021, the Department of Defense (DOD), on behalf of and in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services, awarded a contract with a not-to-exceed value of $146.77 million to Puritan Medical Products to increase domestic production capability of foam tip swabs used in critical COVID-19 diagnostic tests.
- Biden: 90% of US Adults Will Be Eligible for COVID Vaccine by April 19 VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- Nine out of 10 adults in the United States will be eligible for a coronavirus vaccine three weeks from now, President Joe Biden announced Monday during remarks that were dosed with a warning of a devastating resurgence of COVID-19 in the country.
- CDC Study Shows Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines to be Highly Effective in 'Real World' Conditions VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- A study released Monday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) shows mRNA vaccines produced by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are highly effective at preventing COVID-19 in "real world" conditions.
- Trump's late pandemic response killed hundreds of thousands of Americans: Fmr. aide Press TV 29 Mar 2021 -- A member of former US president Donald Trump's coronavirus task force says the COVID-19 death toll in the United States would have been substantially lower if the Trump administration had responded more effectively.
- Remarks by President Biden on the COVID-19 Response and the State of Vaccinations The White House 29 Mar 2021
- 'All Hypotheses' on the Table Regarding COVID-19 Origins, WHO Chief Says VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- The World Health Organization's (WHO) director-general says despite leaked reports about the results of the agency-sponsored probe into the origins of virus that causes COVID-19, all theories remain on the table and will be studied further.
- COVID 'Likely' Transmitted from Bats to Humans Through Other Animals, Study Reveals VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- A draft copy of a joint WHO-China study on the origins of COVID-19 concluded that the "transmission of the virus from bats to humans through another animal is the most likely scenario" for the emergence of the virus, according to the Associated Press.
- Chinese FM suspects US exerting pressure on WHO-China virus origins report Global Times 29 Mar 2021 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday questioned whether the US is exerting pressure on international experts from the WHO-China joint team on tracing virus origins, as the US has repeatedly expressed "concerns" about the joint report ahead of its release.
- Wang's Mideast visit secures vaccine joint production, expands philosophy of win-win Global Times 29 Mar 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi's ongoing visit to the Middle East not only secured cooperation in various fields like vaccine joint production, security and counterterrorism, but also demonstrated China's philosophy of a new type of international relations featuring win-win cooperation rather than geopolitical game with zero-sum mentality.
- China issues first COVID-19 vaccination guidelines, suggesting seniors above 60 to inoculate but no booster shots for now Global Times 29 Mar 2021 -- China's health authorities issued the first official COVID-19 vaccination guidelines on Monday, suggesting seniors aged 60 and above get inoculated as current clinical research data showed that vaccination is safe for senior citizens. It also noted COVID-19 vaccine booster shots are not recommended for now.
- China mulls setting up COVID-19 vaccination sites in UAE for Chinese citizens People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- China and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Sunday discussed a plan to set up COVID-19 vaccination sites in the UAE to inoculate overseas Chinese citizens.
- Beijing city vaccinates 8.7 million against COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- The Chinese capital Beijing has administered coronavirus vaccines to 8.7 million people, including 5.28 million who have completed the two-shot regimen, authorities said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China Hits COVID-19 Vaccination Milestone of 100Mln Shots, Health Commission Says Sputnik 29 Mar 2021 -- China has administered over 102 million coronavirus vaccine doses since the start of the immunization campaign in December, the National Health Commission said on Monday.
- Pandemic Apologies and Defiance: Europe's Leaders Increasingly Rattled VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- European leaders are handling rising public frustration, economic distress and mounting coronavirus case numbers in different ways, with most showing the strain of dealing with a yearlong pandemic, say analysts and commentators, who add that the leaders seem to be rattled by a third wave of infections sweeping the continent.
- European countries tighten measures against COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- With the Easter holidays around the corner, many European countries, faced with a possibly worst third wave of COVID-19, have started to tighten their lockdown measures in an attempt to build a "breakwater."
- UK records another 3,862 coronavirus cases, 19 deaths People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- Another 3,862 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,333,042, according to official figures released Sunday.
- UK PM urged to start sharing coronavirus vaccines with poorer nations People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is facing calls on Sunday to immediately begin donating vaccines to poorer nations or risk hoarding supplies while frontline workers are exposed to coronavirus, the Evening Standard newspaper reported.
- Germany's Angela Merkel under fire for failing to curb coronavirus infections rise Press TV 29 Mar 2021 -- Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel is under growing fire for her alleged failure to come up with a plan to reverse the increasing spread of coronavirus infections in the European country.
- Russian Direct Investment Fund Agrees on Production of Over 60Mn Sputnik V Doses in China Sputnik 29 Mar 2021 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said on Monday it had reached an agreement with China's Shenzhen Yuanxing Gene-tech to produce over 60 million doses of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus in China, with production due to start in May.
- Maharashtra, Karnataka, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Chhattisgarh report high Daily New Cases India PIB 29 Mar 2021 -- Eight States, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Chhattisgarh have reported high number of COVID daily new cases. 84.5% of the new cases are reported from these 8 states.
- COVID19 claims 81 lives in Iran over past 24 hours: official IRNA 29 Mar 2021 -- 81 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 62,478, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday.
- Iran, China to cooperate on fighting COVID-19: official IRNA 29 Mar 2021 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Monday that Iran and China would cooperate on healthcare, including fighting the COVID-19, based on the cooperation document signed.
- Iran, China to boost health cooperation, fight COVID-19 based on strategic partnership deal: Spokesman Press TV 29 Mar 2021 -- An Iranian Health Ministry official says the Islamic Republic will boost cooperation with China in various fields of health and medical education, particularly the fight against the deadly coronavirus pandemic, in line with a 25-year comprehensive strategic partnership agreement recently signed between the two sides.
- S.Korea reports 384 more COVID-19 cases, 102,141 in total People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- South Korea reported 384 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 102,141.
- Republic of Korea Reports 40 More Cases of COVID-19 Variants SPA 29 Mar 2021 -- The Republic of Korea on Monday reported 40 more new cases of COVID-19 variants, including 22 local infections, amid growing woes over the spread of more transmissible strains,Yonhap News Agency reported.
- South Korea Reports 384 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 29 Mar 2021 -- South Korea reported 384 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- 541 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 357 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 29 Mar 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 541 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 388,866, including 4,906 active cases.
- Taiwan reports one new imported case of COVID-19 CNA 29 Mar 2021 -- Taiwan on Monday reported one new imported case of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 1,023, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- BNT vaccine deal becoming less likely: health minister CNA 29 Mar 2021 -- The possibility of signing a deal for Taiwan to buy COVID-19 vaccines developed by the American pharmaceutical company Pfizer and the German biotech firm BioNTech (BNT) is becoming increasingly slim, Health Minister Chen Chih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said Monday.
- Coronavirus response: NATO and Poland support to Bosnia and Herzegovina NATO 29 Mar 2021 -- On 27 March 2021, Poland delivered medical equipment and supplies including face masks, protective gloves and clothes and COVID-19 Antigen tests to Bosnia and Herzegovina in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Africa's COVID-19 cases near 4.18 mln: Africa CDC People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Africa has reached 4,178,590 as of Sunday evening, according to the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC).
- COVID-19 cases top 200,000 in Ethiopia People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- Ethiopia registered 1,769 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, taking the nationwide tally to 200,563 as of Sunday evening, the country's Ministry of Health said.
- Turkey's COVID-19 cases top 3.2 mln; Iran slams U.S. for hindering vaccine procurement People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- Turkey's total COVID-19 cases surpassed 3.2 million on Sunday. Meanwhile, Iran has blasted the United States for hindering its efforts to buy vaccines from foreign countries.
- Chinese vaccines rollout gains steam in Zimbabwe People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- A month after the first dose of the Sinopharm vaccine was administered in Zimbabwe, the country's inoculation drive is gaining momentum each passing day, with more than 65,000 people already received their first jabs of either Sinopharm or Sinovac doses from China, while more than 7,900 people received their second doses as of Saturday.
- Cambodia aims to provide 1 million COVID-19 vaccine doses a month for citizens People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- Cambodia's Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen said on Monday that the Southeast Asian nation has set a goal of providing one million shots of the COVID-19 vaccine to its citizens per month.
- Brazil surpasses 12.5 mln COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- Brazil reported 44,326 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the national caseload to 12,534,688, according to the country's Ministry of Health.
- El Salvador receives 1st batch of Chinese-made COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- El Salvador received on Sunday the first batch of the COVID-19 vaccines from Chinese pharmaceutical company Sinovac, which will help speed up the vaccination process in the country, local authorities reported.
- Philippine daily COVID-19 cases surpass 10,000 for 1st time People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- The Philippines' Department of Health (DOH) reported on Monday 10,016 new COVID-19 infections, the highest ever daily tally since the outbreak began in January last year, raising the nationwide count in the Southeast Asian country to 731,894.
- Chile reports 7,326 new cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Mar 2021 -- The Chilean Ministry of Health reported 7,326 new cases and 101 more deaths from COVID-19 on Sunday amid a new wave of infections in the country.
- UAE Announces 2,128 New COVID-19 Cases, 2,243 Recoveries, 4 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 29 Mar 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced 2,128 new Coronavirus cases in last 24 hours, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to 455,197, WAM reported.
- Oman reports 2,249 new COVID-19 cases SPA 29 Mar 2021 -- Omani Health Ministry has announced that the total number of positive COVID-19 cases in the Sultanate of Oman reached 156,087 after reporting 2,249 new cases, Oman News Agency (ONA) reported.
- Maduro Says Ready to Exchange Coronavirus Vaccines For Oil Sputnik 29 Mar 2021 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says his country is ready to pay for coronavirus vaccine deliveries with oil.
- Mexico Revises COVID Death Toll Count Upwards by 60% VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- Mexico has revised its coronavirus death toll figures, increasing the tally by 60% to make Mexico's death count second only to the United States and overtaking Brazil as the place with the second highest death count.
- Armenia Gets First Batch Of AstraZeneca Vaccines Under COVAX Scheme RFE/RL 29 Mar 2021 -- Armenia has received its first batch of 24,000 doses of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine under the UN-backed COVAX facility as the country braces for a third wave of infections from the virus.
- Johnson & Johnson to Supply 400 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses to African Union VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- U.S. drugmaker Johnson & Johnson announced Monday it has reached a deal to supply the African Union with up to 400 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine beginning this summer.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|