24 March 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Statement From Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby on Approved Request for Assistance to House Unaccompanied Migrant Children DoD 24 Mar 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Global COVID-19 infections rise for fourth consecutive week, deaths level off UN News 24 Mar 2021 -- COVID-19 confirmed cases continued to rise around the world for a fourth consecutive week, with around 3.3 million new cases reported in the past seven-day period, the UN health agency said on Wednesday.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 24 Mar 2021
- China gives COVID-19 vaccines to foreign diplomats, reporters, to expand to ordinary people first in Shanghai Global Times 24 Mar 2021 -- Shanghai has become the first Chinese city to announce COVID-19 vaccine inoculation for foreigners while the Global Times learned some diplomats and foreign reporters in Beijing also received the doses. Foreigners reached by the Global Times expressed their excitement with Shanghai's new plan.
- China promotes world's largest vaccination drive, to surpass US in number of doses in April Global Times 24 Mar 2021 -- China's mass vaccination campaign has entered the fast track with its daily inoculations leaping from 1 million to nearly 3 million within a week. The Global Times learnt China's overall inoculation rate to surpass 10 million per day, putting it on target to administering vaccines to 40 percent of the population.
- Defective packaging 'very unlikely' to affect safety, efficacy after HK, Macao suspends BioNTech vaccine Global Times 24 Mar 2021 -- China's Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions (SARs) announced that they were suspending inoculations with the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines co-produced by Germany's BioNTech and China's Fosun Pharma from Wednesday as a precaution, after the packaging of a batch of doses was found to be defective.
- Shanghai to offer COVID-19 vaccines to foreign residents starting March 29 People's Daily 24 Mar 2021 -- East China's Shanghai has announced an inoculation plan for foreign residents of the city, the information office of the municipality said via its WeChat account on March 23.
- China's daily output of COVID-19 vaccines reaches 5 mln doses People's Daily 24 Mar 2021 -- The daily output of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines has reached 5 million doses, a senior official said.
- Over 80 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 24 Mar 2021 -- More than 80.4 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of March 22, according to the latest figures released by the State Council's COVID-19 response inter-agency task force.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Mar 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- China's latest COVID-19 vaccine may ease high production pressure People's Daily 24 Mar 2021 -- China's latest approved COVID-19 vaccine, cheaper and easier to be manufactured in bulk, can meet the needs of high production as the world displays severe imbalanced vaccine distribution and is seeking enough vaccines to provide access for everyone.
- Coronavirus Upsurge, Slow Vaccinations Darken EU's Outlook VOA 24 Mar 2021 -- Boston and New York are reopening for business, but Paris, Rome and Berlin are shuttered again amid a third wave of the coronavirus pandemic.
- EU Tightens Vaccine Exports to Ensure Supply for Europe VOA 24 Mar 2021 -- As expected, the European Union (EU) Wednesday announced it will tighten export controls to ensure that there are more COVID-19 shot supplies for its citizens as health officials say the pandemic is getting worse on the continent.
- Russia Reports 8,861 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 24 Mar 2021 -- Russia on Wednesday reported 8,861 new COVID-19 cases, including 1,431 in Moscow, pushing the national case tally to 4,483,471 since the pandemic began, Reuters reported.
- India's total Vaccination Coverage has surpassed 5 cr Doses India PIB 24 Mar 2021 -- India has crossed a significant milestone in the fight against the global pandemic. The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 5 crore.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 68 India PIB 24 Mar 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 5.21 Crore today.
- Pakistan Extends Closure Of Educational Institutions Due To Coronavirus RFE/RL Gandhara 24 Mar 2021 -- Pakistani authorities say they will keep educational institutions closed for two more weeks in the capital and other areas where coronavirus infection rates are "higher."
- Iran embassy receives 4th 'Sputnik V' consignment IRNA 24 Mar 2021 -- Iranian Embassy in Moscow received the 4th consignment of 'Sputnik V' vaccine, including 100,000 doses.
- COVID-19 claims 94 lives in Iran over past 24 hours: Official IRNA 24 Mar 2021 -- Some 94 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 62,045 Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Wednesday.
- Health Ministry: 466 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 24 Mar 2021 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 466 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 386,300 confirmed cases, including 4,205 active cases, currently receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 627 critical cases.
- Over 3,000 people receive AstraZeneca vaccine in two days CNA 24 Mar 2021 -- Over 3,000 people in Taiwan received the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in the first two days of the vaccine roll-out, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Taiwan reports 2 new COVID-19 cases from Indonesia, Philippines CNA 24 Mar 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday confirmed two new imported cases of COVID-19 -- one from Indonesia and one from the Philippines -- bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Taiwan to 1,009.
- Special committee to be established to review COVID-19 vaccines purchase CNA 24 Mar 2021 -- Lawmakers across party lines on Wednesday agreed to set up a special legislative committee to review government data on the purchase of COVID-19 vaccines in response to a complaint by opposition parties that Taiwanese have been kept in the dark on the issue.
- Secretary General welcomes Poland's vaccine support for NATO NATO 24 Mar 2021 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked NATO and medical personnel from the Polish Medical Emergency Detachment (P-MED) on Wednesday (24 March 2021) for their support in vaccinating military and civilian staff at NATO Headquarters in Brussels against COVID-19.
- Iraq's COVID-19 cases exceed 800,000 as infections surge threatens to collapse health system Global Times 24 Mar 2021 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Health said on Tuesday that the total number of COVID-19 infections in Iraq has surpassed 800,000, as the 5,000-plus daily infections in recent days threaten to collapse the health system of the war-torn country.
- Ukraine, Bulgaria Report Record-High COVID-19 Deaths, Infections RFE/RL 24 Mar 2021 -- Ukraine has reported a record daily number of coronavirus-related deaths, while Bulgaria registered the highest daily rate of infections since the start of the pandemic, as European countries battle a new wave of COVID-19 cases.
- Egypt Reports 648 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 24 Mar 2021 -- Egypt reported 648 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- Brazil's Single Day COVID-19 Deaths Soars Above 3,000 VOA 24 Mar 2021 -- Brazil's single day COVID-19 death tally rose above 3,000 for the first time as citizens of the South American nation staged protests demanding President Jair Bolsonaro take action to curtail the spread of the virus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|