18 March 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Russian National Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy to Introduce Malware into a U.S. Company's Computer Network US Dept. of Justice 18 Mar 2021 -- Defendant's attempt to recruit employee to transmit malware to exfiltrate data and extort company thwarted by FBI
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- UN: Poorest countries will suffer most from Covid downturn Press TV 18 Mar 2021 -- The world's poorest and most vulnerable countries will suffer the most from a pandemic downturn, the UN's conference on trade and development (UNCTAD) said in its latest report on Thursday.
- Do not use weather as a basis to relax COVID-19 control measures, UN agency urges UN News 18 Mar 2021 -- The UN weather agency on Thursday cautioned that the current onset of warmer temperatures in the northern hemisphere should not be used as a trigger to relax measures to halt the spread of coronavirus.
- Remarks by President Biden on the 100 Million Shot Goal The White House 18 Mar 2021
- US to Provide Coronavirus Vaccines to Neighbors VOA 18 Mar 2021 -- U.S. and Mexican officials deny Washington is attaching any strings to a likely shipment of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses to America's southern neighbor at a time of heightened migration passing through Mexico en route to the United States.
- Oklahoma National Guard assists with COVID-19 vaccinations Army News 18 Mar 2021 -- The Oklahoma National Guard is supporting Oklahoma's whole-of-government response to COVID-19, shifting its mission and focus to serve the community better.
- North Dakota National Guard marks year of COVID-19 response Army News 18 Mar 2021 -- The North Dakota National Guard marked its one-year anniversary of COVID-19 response operations in support of state and community health agencies. The first North Dakota Guard members were activated for COVID-19 duty on March 16, 2020.
- First confirmed local COVID-19 patient ends 31-day zero case streak in Chinese mainland Global Times 18 Mar 2021 -- A medical worker at a hospital's enclosed quarantine ward in Northwest China's Shaanxi Province was confirmed as a COVID-19 case on Thursday, ending the Chinese mainland's 31-day streak of reporting zero new domestically-transmitted cases.
- 13 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 18 Mar 2021 -- Wednesday saw 13 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals following recovery on the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China Reports 6 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 18 Mar 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported 6 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- More Europeans Dying from COVID Now Than Last Year, WHO Says VOA 18 Mar 2021 -- The World Health Organization's (WHO) director for Europe said Thursday that the COVID-19 situation in the continent has taken a step backward, with more people dying from the disease than at this time last year.
- EMA Concludes AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine 'Safe and Effective' VOA 18 Mar 2021 -- Europe's drug regulator, the Europe Medicines Agency (EMA), said Thursday the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective in protecting people from the disease and its benefits outweigh its possible risks.
- Bulgaria Announces Coronavirus Lockdown Ahead Of Elections RFE/RL 18 Mar 2021 -- Bulgaria has announced it will close kindergartens, schools, restaurants, and shopping malls for 10 days as the country battles a surge in COVID-19 infections that have stretched its hospitals.
- More than 23 crore COVID tests conducted across the country India PIB 18 Mar 2021 -- The number of COVID tests conducted across the country has crossed 23 cr today. 23,03,13,163 have been conducted as on date.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 62 India PIB 18 Mar 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 3.89 Crore today.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in India Rises by 35,871 Over Past 24 Hours SPA 18 Mar 2021 -- India has confirmed 35,871 new cases of the coronavirus over the past 24 hours, with the total number of those infected having reached 11,474,605, the country's Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said on Thursday, according to Sputnik News Agency.
- Pakistani Authorities Scrambling To Respond To Third COVID Wave RFE/RL Gandhara 18 Mar 2021 -- Weeks after the Pakistani government relaxed a series of poorly observed restrictions, a sharp spike in COVID infections has prompted authorities to reimpose measures and warn of the possibility of more severe lockdowns.
- COVID-19 claims 89 lives over past 24 hours in Iran: Official IRNA 18 Mar 2021 -- Some 89 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 61,581, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Thursday.
- Japan Lifting Tokyo COVID-19 State of Emergency, Effective Monday VOA 18 Mar 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga Thursday announced that Tokyo's month-long COVID-19 state of emergency will be lifted Monday, citing reduced overall infection numbers since January, and hospital occupancy.
- Three Hundred Eighty One New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia, Health Ministry Announces SPA 18 Mar 2021 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 381 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 383,880 confirmed cases, including 3,688 active cases, currently receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 564 critical cases, the report added.
- Taiwan confirms 8 new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 18 Mar 2021 -- Taiwan on Thursday confirmed eight new imported cases of COVID-19 -- one from Oman, three from the Philippines and two each from Egypt and Vietnam -- bringing the total number of cases in the country to 998, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Brazil's Coronavirus Cases Surge to New Daily Record of Over 90,000 SPA 18 Mar 2021 -- Brazil has set a new daily record in coronavirus infections as the spiralling outbreak puts major stress on the nation's hospitals, dpa reported.
- Brazil reports record 90,000 new COVID-19 infections, a day after setting deadly record SPA 18 Mar 2021 -- Brazil on Wednesday registered 90,303 new coronavirus cases, a new record, a day after the country reported a fresh record for deaths related to the virus. Infections now total 11,693,838, Reuters reported.
- Malaysia starts rollout of China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 18 Mar 2021 -- Malaysia started inoculation with the COVID-19 vaccines made by Chinese biopharmaceutical company Sinovac Biotech on Thursday, as the country pressed ahead with its national immunization drive.
- Namibia receives first batch of COVID-19 vaccines from China People's Daily 18 Mar 2021 -- The first batch of COVID-19 vaccines from Chinese pharmaceutical firm Sinovac arrived in Namibia on Tuesday afternoon, which will help the African country's immunization campaign against the pandemic.
- Central African States Say COVID-19, Conflicts Halt Integration VOA 18 Mar 2021 -- The Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CEMAC) says armed conflict and the coronavirus pandemic have seriously damaged the economies of the six member-countries and put a halt to regional integration. The economic block, one of the least developed on the African continent, marked its 27th anniversary this week in Cameroon.
- Australia Responds To COVID-19 Crisis in Neighboring Papua New Guinea VOA 18 Mar 2021 -- Australia is beginning an urgent rollout of COVID-19 vaccinations in the Torres Strait in northern Queensland because of a sharp increase in infections in neighboring Papua New Guinea, a situation Health Minister Greg Hunt called a "clear and present danger" to both nations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|