13 March 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Drug Wars, Wiretaps, And Hooligans: Serbia's Gangland Roundup Tests The System RFE/RL 13 Mar 2021 -- President Aleksandar Vucic had a staunch warning for the criminal underworld after a meeting last weekend of Serbia's National Security Council.
- S. Korea Investigating New Suspected Case of Highly Pathogenic Bird Flu SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- South Korea's agricultural authorities said Friday they are investigating yet another suspected case of highly pathogenic bird flu amid growing concerns over a prolonged battle against the animal disease, Yonhap reported.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- U.N. Chief Calls for Doubling Vaccine Production Capacity SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres today, called for doubling the production capacity for novel coronavirus vaccines to ensure global access as the world marks a year since the World Health Organization head termed the virus outbreak a pandemic, Kyodo reported.
- WHO Approves Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 Vaccine for Emergency Use SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) approved the Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use, paving the way for the one-shot dose to be used as part of the United Nation's international vaccine distribution effort.
- China to vaccinate 900m to 1b between the end of 2021 and mid-2022: China's CDC director Global Times 13 Mar 2021 -- Based on current vaccine production capacity, China is capable of vaccinating 70 to 80 percent of its population, or 900 million to 1 billion people, between the end of 2021 and mid-2022 to reach herd immunity amid the global epidemic, director Gao Fu was cited as saying in Chinese media reports on Saturday.
- Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine to possibly get WHO approval by the end of March: company Global Times 13 Mar 2021 -- The Global Times learned from a major Chinese vaccine producer Sinovac Biotech that it is possible the World Health Organization (WHO) would approve the company's COVID-19 vaccine by the end of March as the WHO spokesperson said on Friday.
- France Lifts Pandemic Travel Ban for Japan, 6 Other Nations SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- The French government said it will remove Japan and six other countries from a travel ban imposed on non-European Union nations since late January to prevent the spread of variants of the novel coronavirus, Kyodo reported.
- Italy Announces Plan to Vaccinate at Least 80% of Population by September SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- Italy said today, on Saturday it aims to vaccinate at least 80% of its population by September through ramping up the daily vaccination campaign, Reuters reported.
- UK's Vaccine Campaign Fails, for Now, to Fire Up EU 'Exit' Movements VOA 13 Mar 2021 -- If there is one benefit to the coronavirus pandemic, the head of France's fledgling Generation Frexit movement - which wants France to follow Britain's example in leaving the European Union - believes it has been Europe's fumbled response.
- India registers a new landmark in COVID19 Vaccination with Highest Single Day Vaccination of More than 20.53 lakh Doses India PIB 13 Mar 2021 -- India recorded a significant milestone in its countrywide COVID19 vaccination drive which started on 16th January, 2021.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 57 India PIB 13 Mar 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 2.91 Crore today.
- COVID-19 claims 73 lives in past 24 hours in Iran: Official IRNA 13 Mar 2021 -- Some 73 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 61,142, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday.
- Clinical trial of Cuba-Iran Soberana-02 COVID-19 vaccines carried out IRNA 13 Mar 2021 -- Clinical trial of Soberana-02 COVID-19 vaccine jointly being manufactured by Cuba's Finlay Vaccine Institute and Pasteur Institute of Iran was carried out.
- President Rouhani cautions against danger of fourth wave of COVID-19 IRNA 13 Mar 2021 -- President Hassan Rouhani on Saturday cautioned against looming danger of the fourth wave of COVID-19.
- Iranian people need to continue to follow health protocols: President ISNA 13 Mar 2021 -- Appreciating all the individuals and organizations that have cooperated and worked in the field of combatting coronavirus in more than a year, Iran's President said, "Statistics and charts from all over the country show that except for one or two provinces, the situation in the country is good".
- 351 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 239 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 351 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 382,059, including 3,040 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Mongolia registers highest daily increase of COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Mar 2021 -- Mongolia registered 169 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, the highest daily increase, raising its national tally to 3,833, the National Center for Communicable Diseases (NCCD) said Saturday.
- Chile's president gets second COVID-19 jab with Chinese Sinovac vaccine People's Daily 13 Mar 2021 -- Chile's President Sebastian Pinera on Friday received his second dose of a Chinese vaccine against the novel coronavirus disease, which is developed by Chinese pharmaceutical firm Sinovac.
- UAE Reports 2,159 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates recorded, during the past 24 hours, 2,159 cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), 10 deaths, and 1,939 recoveries.
- Egypt Reports 639 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 13 Mar 2021 -- Egypt reported 639 new cases of tvhe novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), and 45 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Philippines Detects New, Unique COVID-19 Variant, Health Authorities Say Sputnik 13 Mar 2021 -- The Philippine government declared the discovery of a new coronavirus strain in the country, the Department of Health (DOH) reported on Saturday, as cited by media.
- China Eases Visitor Entry; Italy Aims for 80% of Shots by Fall VOA 13 Mar 2021 -- The competition to distribute vaccines worldwide further escalated Saturday when China announced it would streamline the entry process for foreigners who want to visit mainland China from Hong Kong if they have received Chinese-manufactured coronavirus vaccines.
- Malaysia Uses Emergency Powers to Impose 'Fake News' Law VOA 13 Mar 2021 -- Malaysia is using new powers under emergency rule to increase jail time for spreading what authorities call fake news about the coronavirus pandemic or the emergency itself, sidestepping the usual route through Parliament.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|