22 February 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- DHS Announces Steps to Advance President's Commitment to Elevate Cybersecurity DHS 22 Feb 2021 -- Today, Secretary Alejandro N. Mayorkas announced the many ways the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will carry out President Biden's vision to elevate cybersecurity across the government. DHS will lead efforts to mitigate risks to the United States, further strengthen its partnerships with the private sector, and expand its investment in the infrastructure and people required to defend against malicious cyber attacks as part of a whole-of-government effort.
- Readout of Secretary Mayorkas's Call with UK Home Secretary Priti Patel DHS 22 Feb 2021
- Wife of "El Chapo" Arrested on International Drug Trafficking Charges US Dept. of Justice 22 Feb 2021 -- The wife of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman Loera, leader of a Mexican drug trafficking organization known as the Sinaloa Cartel, was arrested today in Virginia on charges related to her alleged involvement in international drug trafficking.
- Ebola Expert Calls for Vigilance Amid Outbreaks VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- With the Ebola virus flaring in the Democratic Republic of Congo and a new outbreak in Guinea, Dr. Jean-Jacques Muyembe Tamfum is worried.
- International Red Cross Issues Emergency Appeal to Halt New Ebola Outbreak in West Africa VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is appealing for $9.4 million to fund efforts to prevent a new Ebola outbreak from spreading across West Africa.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Operationl Update WHO 22 Feb 2021
- WHO Chief Tells Rich Nations: 'Don't Undermine COVAX' VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus Monday said some of the world's wealthiest nations are hampering efforts by his agency and its partners to get vaccines to world's poorest nations.
- Biden Bemoans 500,000 Coronavirus Deaths in US VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- As the nation marked 500,000 deaths because of COVID-19, U.S. President Joe Biden at twilight Monday walked to a White House South Portico decorated with black bunting and 500 candles.
- Remarks by President Biden on the More Than 500,000 American Lives Lost to COVID-19 The White House 22 Feb 2021
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 22 Feb 2021
- White House Anticipates Backlog of Vaccine Doses to Be Delivered by Mid-Week Sputnik 22 Feb 2021 -- The Biden administration expects all backlog vaccine doses to be delivered by the middle of the week following the disruption caused by the winter storms, White House coronavirus response adviser Andy Slavitt told reporters.
- US Surpasses 500,000 COVID Deaths VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- The United States surpassed half a million COVID-19 deaths, more coronavirus-related deaths than anywhere else, according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Additional Efforts to Expand Access to State-FEMA Vaccination Sites in Brooklyn and Queens New York State 22 Feb 2021
- Americans could still need to wear masks in 2022, says Fauci People's Daily 22 Feb 2021 -- Americans may still need to wear masks in 2022 to protect against the coronavirus, said Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, on Sunday.
- Carrie Lam takes 1st shot of Sinovac vaccine in live broadcast Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive Carrie Lam and several secretaries including Teresa Cheng Yeuk-wah (Secretary of Justice) and Matthew Cheung Kin-chung (Chief Secretary of Administration) took their first shot of the Chinese mainland-developed Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines in a live broadcast on Monday afternoon.
- China clears all COVID-19 medium and high risk areas Monday Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- China cleared all COVID-19 medium and high risk areas on Monday, after hard-hit Gaocheng district in Shijiazhuang city, Hebei Province, and the last COVID-19 medium risk zone in Northeast China's Heilongjiang were both downgraded to low risk on the same day.
- HKSAR chief executive, senior officials get vaccinated against COVID-19 People's Daily 22 Feb 2021 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam and some senior officials of the HKSAR government on Monday received their first shots of the COVID-19 vaccine ahead of a mass rollout starting later this week.
- China's Jilin clears areas with medium COVID-19 risks People's Daily 22 Feb 2021 -- Tonghua City, northeast China's Jilin Province, announced Sunday its district of Dongchang had been downgraded to a low COVID-19 infection risk area.
- Britain Outlines Lockdown Exit as Vaccines Show 'Spectacular' Results VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced plans Monday to begin easing coronavirus lockdown measures, crediting the country's rapid vaccination program for allowing Britain to begin reopening March 8.
- All UK adults to be offered coronavirus vaccine by July 31: PM People's Daily 22 Feb 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has pledged that every adult in Britain will be given a jab of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of July, local media reported Sunday.
- Boris Johnson pledges end to social contact restrictions by 'end of June' Press TV 22 Feb 2021 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has finally set out his long-awaited "blueprint" for exiting coronavirus-related restrictions by boldly claiming England is going to start "reclaiming our freedoms".
- Portugal registers lowest number of daily COVID-19 infections in 4 months Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- Portugal registered on Sunday another 1,186 new cases of COVID-19, the lowest number of new daily cases in the last four months, with the total infections now standing at 797,525, according to the country's health authorities.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 4,369 SPA 22 Feb 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 4,369 to 2,390,928, data from the Robert Koch
- Chinese vaccines could be an option to diversify supplies amid India's emerging new COVID-19 strains Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- India is facing extremely severe COVID-19 infections, which required the country to adopt more draconian measures to curb further infections and launch rapid research on vaccine upgrades, Chinese experts said Monday after reports that a total of 240 new strains of COVID-19 have surfaced across India which saw a spike of infections since last week.
- India's Cumulative Testing stand at 21.15 Cr today with nearly 2400 testing labs across the country India PIB 22 Feb 2021 -- India has registered a record in the number of COVID-19 cumulative tests. It has crossed the 21.15 crore (21,15,51,746) tests.6,20,216 tests were conducted in the last 24 hours.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination- Day 38 India PIB 22 Feb 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered to healthcare and frontline workers has crossed 1.14 Crores today in the country.
- 250k doses of Sinopharm vaccine to be sent to Iran: Spox IRNA 22 Feb 2021 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Monday that some 250,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine are ready to be sent to Iran in coordination with Iranian Embassy in Beijing.
- COVID-19 claims 89 lives in past 24 hours in Iran: Official IRNA 22 Feb 2021 -- Some 89 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 59,572, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday.
- Iran's COVID-19 vaccine 90-percent effective in initial human trials Press TV 22 Feb 2021 -- Iran's CovIran Barekat, the country's first domestically-developed COVID-19 vaccine, has showed 90-percent effectiveness, as confirmed by the first phase of human trials of the inoculation.
- 327 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 318 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 22 Feb 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 327 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 375,333, including 2,455 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Coronavirus Strands North Korean Workers in China, Kills Job Offers Radio Free Asia 22 Feb 2021 -- North Korean overseas workers stranded in China by a border closure imposed to fight coronavirus are facing a dire situation as the pandemic has caused their job prospects to dry up, sources in China told RFA.
- Philippines approves emergency use of China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- The Philippines' Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted the emergency use authorization (EUA) to China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines, FDA Director General Enrique Domingo said on Monday.
- First batch of COVID vaccines arrive around Australia for rollout Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- COVID-19 vaccines have arrived around Australia as the country begins its long-awaited rollout.
- Gaza Strip receives 20,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines funded by UAE Global Times 22 Feb 2021 -- A total of 20,000 doses of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccines, funded by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), arrived in the Gaza Strip on Sunday through the Rafah border crossing.
- Kuwait Reports 899 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 22 Feb 2021 -- Kuwait reported 533 new cases of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) , during the past 24 hours, as well as five deaths due to Covid-19 complications.
- Tanzania President Creeps Toward Acknowledging Presence of COVID-19 VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- Tanzania's President John Magufuli appears to be acknowledging the problem of COVID-19 in the country, after months of claiming the virus had been defeated through prayer and steam treatments. While not specifically naming the virus, Magufuli on Sunday urged Tanzanians to begin wearing face masks for "respiratory" illnesses that are becoming a problem.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|