20 February 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- US prosecutors indict 9 Oath Keepers militia members Press TV 20 Feb 2021 -- The US Justice Department has charged nine members of the far-right extremist group Oath Keepers for taking part in the deadly January 6 raid on the Capitol Hill.
- Iran culls 1.4 million poultry to stem severe bird flu Press TV 20 Feb 2021 -- Iran has culled 1.4 million poultry birds in a province east of the country to contain the spread of the severe bird flu, known as H5N8.
- Russia Reports First Case Of Bird Flu Strain In Humans RFE/RL 20 Feb 2021 -- Russia has reported the first case of a bird flu strain, H5N8, being passed from birds to humans.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Global new COVID-19 cases decline for 5 weeks but "we're not out of the woods yet": WHO People's Daily 20 Feb 2021 -- Although the global number of new COVID-19 cases has fallen for the fifth consecutive week, the world is still not out of the woods and now is not the time to let the guard down, senior officials from the World Health Organization (WHO) have warned.
- WHO: 'Growing Movement Behind Vaccine Equity' VOA 20 Feb 2021 -- The World Health Organization says it welcomes the recent pledges of coronavirus vaccines from several Western countries to the international health group that will help ensure an equitable allocation of vaccines to countries around the world.
- U.S. COVID-19 vaccine rollout hindered by winter storms People's Daily 20 Feb 2021 -- U.S. COVID-19 vaccine rollout has been hindered by power outages amid the ongoing winter storms in much of the country, with nearly all states experiencing shipment delays.
- 43 million doses of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine administrated worldwide, nation's production capacity to reach 4 billion next year Global Times 20 Feb 2021 -- Forty-three million shots of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Chinese company Sinopharm have been administrated worldwide, with 34 million in China and the country's yearly production capacity could reach 4 billion by the end of 2022, China Central Television (CCTV) reported Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Feb 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Friday, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Mainland-made Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Hong Kong People's Daily 20 Feb 2021 -- The first batch of mainland-manufactured COVID-19 vaccines arrived in Hong Kong on Friday afternoon, which, as the first vaccines available here, will enable the financial hub to start inoculating its residents next week.
- Scottish prison network hit by major Covid-19 outbreak Press TV 20 Feb 2021 -- A major Covid-19 outbreak is sweeping through the Scottish prison network with infection rates almost doubling in a week.
- Left out by EU, Eastern Europe scrambles for Russian, Chinese vaccines Press TV 20 Feb 2021 -- The EU has come under fire for "neglecting" countries in Eastern Europe in sharing the coronavirus vaccine, which has prompted them to turn to Russia and China to protect their population from the deadly infectious disease.
- Kerala, Maharashtra, Punjab, Chhattisgarh & MP witnesses an upsurge in Daily New Cases India PIB 20 Feb 2021 -- India's present active caseload now consists of 1.30% of India's total Positive Cases. India's total Active Caseload is pegged at 1,43,127 today. Some States are seeing an upsurge in daily new cases. There has been rise in daily cases in Kerala, Maharashtra, Punjab, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination- Day 36 India PIB 20 Feb 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered to healthcare and frontline workers has crossed 1.08 Crores today in the country.
- Pakistan Records 1,340 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 20 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan recorded 1,340 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed infections to 569,846, of which 24081 are active cases.
- Iran, Iraq border to be closed: Minister IRNA 20 Feb 2021 -- Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli on Saturday said that the border of Iran and Iraq will be closed.
- COVID-19 claims 68 lives in past 24 hours in Iran: Official IRNA 20 Feb 2021 -- Some 68 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 59,409, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday.
- 325 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 382 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 20 Feb 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 325 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 374,691, including 2,489 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan authorizes AstraZeneca vaccine ahead of first shipment's arrival CNA 20 Feb 2021 -- Taiwan's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Saturday granted emergency use authorization (EUA) for AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine as it prepares to take delivery of its first 200,000 doses of the drug as early as next week.
- Taiwan reports one new imported case of COVID-19 CNA 20 Feb 2021 -- Taiwan reported a new imported case of COVID-19 on Saturday involving a Filipino national who arrived in the country earlier this month to work, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Mongolia to spend 79.3 mln USD on COVID-19 vaccines: minister People's Daily 20 Feb 2021 -- Mongolia will spend 226 billion Mongolian Tugriks (about 79.3 million U.S. dollars) to vaccinate its people against COVID-19, the country's Health Ministry said Saturday.
- In Tajikistan, COVID-19 Patients, Families Scoff At Pledge Of 'Free Treatment' RFE/RL 20 Feb 2021 -- Abdurahmon Rahmonov recalls being admitted to Dushanbe's Shifobakhsh Hospital in the early summer with high fever, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms attributed to COVID-19.
- Egypt Records 610 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 20 Feb 2021 -- Egypt recorded 610 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours, raising the total number of infections to 176,943, the Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population reported.
- Lebanon Records 2,255 new COVID-19 Cases SPA 20 Feb 2021 -- Lebanon recorded on Friday 2,255 new COVID-19 cases, raising the total number of infections to 351,048, the Lebanon's Health Ministry reported.
- Ghana Registers Russia's Sputnik V Coronavirus Vaccine, Russian Direct Investment Fund Says Sputnik 20 Feb 2021 -- Ghana's Health Ministry has registered Russia's coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V, becoming the 31st country to do so, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said Saturday.
- Israel Unveils Real-world Pfizer Data, 'Green Badge' VOA 20 Feb 2021 -- Israelis who have received both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine saw their risk of illness from the coronavirus drop 98.5% and their risk of hospitalization drop 98.9%, the country's Health Ministry said Saturday.
- Argentine Health Minister Resigns Amid COVID Vaccine Scandal VOA 20 Feb 2021 -- Argentina's health minister has resigned after he reportedly gave preferential treatment to those with personal connections when authorizing coronavirus vaccinations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|