17 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- National Guard troops head to DC from as far away as Guam Army News 17 Jan 2021 -- Thousands of National Guard troops are arriving in the nation's capital from as far away as Guam to support authorities through the presidential inauguration Wednesday.
- PNG mobilizes more members for support at home, in DC Army News 17 Jan 2021 -- More than 1,400 additional Pennsylvania National Guard members have been activated to support the Jan. 20 presidential inauguration and provide security in Pennsylvania.
- Alaska National Guard to provide assistance for presidential inauguration Army News 17 Jan 2021 -- Airmen and Soldiers of the Alaska National Guard are scheduled to depart here on Jan. 17, headed to the National Capital Region to assist the District of Columbia National Guard and federal civilian authorities with the 59th Presidential Inauguration.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 17 Jan 2021
- Largest vaccine center in US opens in Los Angeles amid grim outlook Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- The largest vaccine center in the United States was launched at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles County on Friday as the metropolitan area is about to hit the latest grim milestone of 1 million total cases this weekend.
- Los Angeles becomes first county in U.S. to surpass 1 million COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2021 -- Los Angeles became the first county in the United States to surpass 1 million total cases since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, local health officials said Saturday.
- Has latest round of COVID-19 infections in Hebei reached turning point? Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- The latest round of COVID-19 infections in North China's Hebei Province remains at a high level despite more than two weeks of anti-epidemic control measures, with experts saying the province will take another week to see a turning point.
- Jilin reports COVID-19 superspreading event Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- The COVID-19 superspreader in Northeast China's Jilin Province, who was engaged in a health-related marketing promotion, caused more than 100 people to be infected. Experts warned that health seminars targeting elderly people are blind spots in the epidemic prevention and control work in residential communities.
- Weddings, funerals in Hebei resulting in COVID-19 infections liable for criminal prosecution Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province stressed that anyone holding events such as funerals, weddings and social gatherings in violation of anti-epidemic regulations and causing COVID-19 infections could face criminal liability amid the surging infections in the province.
- Border county to set up isolation site to contain COVID-19 imports from abroad Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- Meng La county in Southwest China's Yunnan Province, which borders Laos and Myanmar, is setting up a central isolation site with 2,001 beds to ease the pressure brought by COVID-19 import risks, given the still-raging pandemic in the two neighboring countries.
- Beijing sets up 205 infusion sites, 1.7 million people already get inoculations Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- A total of 1.7 million people in Beijing had received COVID-19 inoculations by Saturday, and 30,000 more delivery men in the city will be vaccinated by Monday, bringing the total number of inoculated delivery men to 80,000, the Beijing Youth newspaper reported on Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 13 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported 13 new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 4,502.
- Chinese mainland reports 96 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 109 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 96 locally transmitted cases and 13 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Former hard-hit Chinese province provides anti-epidemic supplies to Hebei People's Daily 17 Jan 2021 -- Central China's Hubei Province, which was once hit hard by COVID-19, has sent medical supplies worth about 10 million yuan (about 1.55 million U.S. dollars) to north China's Hebei Province in a bid to help curb the spread of the epidemic.
- China Reports New 109 Cases of COVID-19 SPA 17 Jan 2021 -- China has reported 109 new confirmed COVID-19 cases during the 24 past hours.
- France's Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 70,000 SPA 17 Jan 2021 -- France's cumulative COVID-19 death toll has risen past 70,000 after 196 deaths were reported in the previous 24 hours, Reuters cited the country's health authority as reporting today, on Saturday.
- Italy bans flights from Brazil after new coronavirus variant found in passengers Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza on Saturday signed an order banning direct flights to Italy from Brazil after a new variant of the coronavirus was identified in four passengers arriving from that country.
- Serbia receives 1 mln Sinopharm vaccines from China People's Daily 17 Jan 2021 -- A million doses of China's Sinopharm inactivated coronavirus vaccines arrived at the Belgrade Airport in Serbia on Saturday, the government confirmed in a press release.
- Norway increasingly concerned about Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine after fatalities rise: Report Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- Norway has expressed its growing concern regarding the safety of the vaccines produced by American Pfizer Inc. on the senior citizens with serious underlying health conditions after the fatalities rose to nearly 30 among the elderly who received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Vaccination of East Europeans faces hurdles amid public mistrust Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- Rising doubts spark mistrust among people and even officials about a vaccination campaign against the coronavirus pandemic in southeastern Europe.
- Russia Reports 23,586 New Coronavirus Cases, 481 Deaths SPA 17 Jan 2021 -- Russia reported 23,586 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, including 4,012 in Moscow, which plans to reopen public schools on Monday after an extended New Year break, Reuters reported.
- India scales a landmark peak- Active Cases dip below 2% of the Total Cases for the first time India PIB 17 Jan 2021 -- India continues on its steady trajectory of reporting a sustained downfall in the daily new cases and consequential decline in the active cases.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination India PIB 17 Jan 2021 -- India has vaccinated the highest number of persons on Day1 under its COVID19 vaccination program, the world's largest such exercise. This is much higher than many other countries such as USA, the UK and France.
- Iran COVID-19 death toll drops to 86 IRNA 17 Jan 2021 -- The COVID-19 death toll in Iran has dropped to 86 over the past 24 hours, spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday.
- COVID-19 cannot be beaten one country at a time â€“ UN Chief IRNA 17 Jan 2021 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his statement on the Two Millionth death from the COVID-19 pandemic, while emphasizing that COVID-19 cannot be beaten one country at a time, urged vaccine manufacturers to step up their commitment to work with the COVAX facility.
- Some 96 deaths caused by COVID-19 in Iran IRNA 17 Jan 2021 -- Some 96 deaths caused by COVID-19 pandemic over the past 24 hours, spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 176 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 17 Jan 2021 -- Official Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdulaali said in a press conferece today that 176 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; thus bringing the total number to 364,929 confirmed cases, including 1,919 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 319 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Another contact of COVID-19-infected doctor tests positive CNA 17 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan reported a new domestically transmitted case of COVID-19 on Sunday involving a doctor who works in the same hospital as three other medical workers confirmed to have the disease over the past week, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- RDIF Rejects Media Claims Sputnik V Was Denied Authorisation for Emergency Use in Brazil Sputnik 17 Jan 2021 -- Uniao Quimica, a Brazilian chemical-pharmaceutical company, launched the production of the Russian coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V in Brazil in January. Developed by Russia's Gamaleya Centre, it was the first COVID-19 vaccine to be registered in the world.
- Brazil OKs Two COVID Vaccines Amid Steep Surge in Cases VOA 17 Jan 2021 -- Brazil approved two vaccines for emergency use against the coronavirus Sunday as the country's death toll from the disease it causes neared 210,000 and some of its hospitals grappled with an oxygen shortage.
- Argentina confirms first case of new variant of coronavirus Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- The Argentinean government confirmed on Saturday the first case in the country of a new coronavirus variant that was first identified in Britain and appears to be more contagious.
- Over 675,000 health workers get COVID-19 jab in Turkey in 3 days Global Times 17 Jan 2021 -- More than 675,000 health workers in Turkey have received COVID-19 vaccine developed by China's Sinovac during the first three days of the country's vaccination program, Turkish Health Ministry's data showed on Saturday.
- UAE Announces 3,453 New COVID-19 Cases, 3,268 Recoveries and 5 Deaths in last 24 Hours SPA 17 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP), announced that it conducted 162,251 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Zimbabwe Minister Accuses China of Manufacturing COVID-19 VOA 17 Jan 2021 -- Public health experts in Zimbabwe are condemning remarks by the country's defense minister who accused China of botched "experiments" as responsible for the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world. President Emmerson Mnangagwa's government has since distanced itself from the accusations made in a tearful interview as the defense minister mourned a fellow minister lost to COVID-19 on Friday. The minister also said she would only take a COVID-19 vaccine if it is developed in Zimbabwe.
- Jordan Among First to Vaccinate UN-Registered Refugees It Hosts VOA 17 Jan 2021 -- Jordan has become one of the world's first countries to start coronavirus vaccinations for United Nations-registered refugees, according to the U.N. refugee agency and the royal palace. As part of the kingdom's national vaccination drive that began last week, anyone living there, including refugees and asylum seekers, is entitled to receive the shot free of charge. Jordan hosts hundreds of thousands of refugees from the region's conflicts in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, and Libya.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|