16 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Far-right groups receive Bitcoin donations weeks before storming US Capitol TRT 16 Jan 2021 -- US investigators are working to see how far-right groups are being funded in the country and to what extent funds played a role in violence that took the lives of several people.
- Researchers: More Than a Dozen Extremist Groups Took Part in Capitol Riots VOA 16 Jan 2021 -- In the days since the violent Jan. 6 rampage at the U.S. Capitol by President Donald Trump's supporters, a fuller picture has emerged about the rioters, with researchers identifying members of more than a dozen extremist groups that took part in the riots.
- Idaho National Guard sends 300 to support inauguration Army News 16 Jan 2021 -- The Idaho National Guard sent more than 300 Soldiers and Airmen to Washington, D.C., on Jan. 15 to augment the District of Columbia National Guard and support the U.S. Secret Service for the presidential inauguration.
- National Guard Judge Advocates Brief Soldiers and Airmen During Operation Capitol Response Army News 16 Jan 2021 -- District of Columbia National Guard (DCNG) judge advocates provide guidance to Soldiers and Airmen during Operation Capitol Response on Jan. 10, 2021 at the D.C. Armory.
- D.C. National Guard provides assistance for peaceful transition of power Army News 16 Jan 2021 -- In past presidential inaugurations, the District of Columbia National Guard has escorted presidents, marched in ceremonial parades, conducted crowd management and ensured the safety of participants of the event. While D.C. National Guard plays no less pivotal a role, this year is turning out to be a bit different.
- Maryland National Guard in DC to support inauguration Army News 16 Jan 2021 -- Approximately 800 members of the Maryland National Guard are on duty in Washington to support the 59th presidential inauguration, with a Maryland general officer taking a critical role in the effort.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect to the Southern Border of the United States The White House 16 Jan 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Origins of COVID-19 may remain mystery forever: WHO Press TV 16 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) says the international community may never find "patient zero" in its search for the origins of the new coronavirus, which was first reported in China and has now infected over 93 million people across the globe.
- Enhanced global cooperation urged as global COVID-19 deaths toll surpasses 2 million Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- As a grim and sad milestone was reached on Friday when statistics from Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center showed 2 million people have died during the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, a Chinese expert called for the enhanced international cooperation, among other measures, to slow down the rise of the death toll and to contain the virus.
- WHO hopes COVID-19 vaccination "underway in every country in next 100 days" People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- The chief of World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Friday urged fairness of access to COVID-19 vaccines, saying he wants to "see vaccination underway in every country in the next 100 days."
- UN chief calls for "far greater solidarity" in message on 2 millionth COVID-19 death People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday called for "far greater solidarity" in his video message on the 2 millionth death from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Governor Cuomo Provides Update on New York's COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution New York State 16 Jan 2021
- U.S. HHS Secretary Azar resigns as states perplexed by federal vaccine rollout plan People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar is resigning on Jan. 20, citing the violence on Capitol Hill last week, according to his resignation letter leaked Friday.
- British coronavirus could be US dominant strain by March: CDC report Press TV 16 Jan 2021 -- The British variant of the coronavirus causing the COVID-19 disease could be the dominant strain in the United States by March, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- China Reports 130 New Mainland COVID-19 Cases vs 144 A Day Earlier SPA 16 Jan 2021 -- China reported 130 new coronavirus cases in the mainland for Jan. 15, compared to 135 cases a day earlier, Reuters cited the country's health commission as saying.
- The COVID-19 virus in Hebei was imported from abroad, worsening trend will stop soon: experts said Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- The virus causing the new COVID-19 outbreak in North China's Hebei Province has been found to be imported from abroad, Hebei authorities said on Saturday. This has ruled out the possibility that it was related to previous local outbreaks in China.
- WHO experts start quarantine in Wuhan People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- An international expert team of the World Health Organization (WHO) arrived in China and started quarantine at a hotel in Wuhan on Thursday, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Friday.
- Beijing requires extra 7-day health monitoring for inbound travelers People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Beijing has required inbound travelers to undergo health monitoring for seven additional days following 21 days of medical observation, authorities said Saturday.
- 49 new asymptomatic COVID-19 cases reported in Chinese city People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- A city in northeast China's Jilin Province on Saturday reported 49 new asymptomatic infections of the novel coronavirus as of 10 a.m., authorities said.
- Chinese city builds isolation center with 1,500 rooms in 5 days People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Construction of the first batch of 1,500 rooms for centralized medical observation has been completed in five days in a city in north China's Hebei Province, local authorities said Saturday.
- China's health insurance coverage for COVID-19 patients tops 1.6 bln yuan People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- More than 1.6 billion yuan (247.5 million U.S. dollars) worth of medical expenses for COVID-19 patients was covered by China's medical insurance funds last year, according to official data.
- Chinese mainland reports 115 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported 130 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 115 were locally transmitted and the rest arrived from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- China's Hebei reports 90 confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province reported 90 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and 12 locally transmitted asymptomatic cases on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.
- Beijing reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Beijing reported two new locally transmitted COVID-19 case on Friday, the municipal health commission said Saturday.
- UK to close all travel corridors to keep out new COVID variants Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Friday that Britain will close all travel corridors to the country from 0400 GMT on Monday in a bid to keep out new coronavirus variants.
- Pfizer vaccine 'too risky' for very old people, Norway warns Press TV 16 Jan 2021 -- Norway has expressed increasing concern about the safety of the Pfizer vaccine on elderly people with serious underlying health conditions after raising their estimate of the number who died after receiving inoculations to 29.
- Norwegian health authorities say deaths among elderly likely related to vaccine People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- An adverse reaction to the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine may be responsible for as many as 23 reported deaths among frail and elderly patients in nursing homes in Norway, said a press release from the Norwegian Medicines Agency (NoMA) on Friday.
- Chinese vaccines get presidential welcome in Serbia Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- The first batch of one million doses of COVID-19 vaccines developed by China's leading pharmaceutical company Sinopharm arrived in Serbia on Saturday, receiving a personal welcome at the airport from the country's president.
- India Begins COVID-19 Inoculation Campaign VOA 16 Jan 2021 -- India began its COVID-19 vaccine campaign Saturday. Frontline workers are slated to receive the first inoculations.
- #LargestVaccineDrive India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- Today marks a momentous day in the COVID-19 trajectory of the country as India rolls out the world's largest COVID-19 vaccination drive today. Hon. Prime Minister will launch the nationwide vaccination exercise at 10.30 am through video conference.
- COVID-19 Vaccination India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare chose to be with doctors, nurses and other healthcare and frontline workers at AIIMS, New Delhi on this momentous day when the Prime Minister launched the world's largest COVID-19 vaccination drive.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- In a major leap in India's public health history, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched the COVID-19 vaccine drive in the country, the world's largest vaccination drive so far.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- Dr.Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare today interacted with the Health Ministers and Principal Secretaries/ Additional Chief Secretaries of the States and Union Territories to review the vaccination drive through a video conference, here today.
- Those who need the vaccine the most will get it first: PM India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi said that India's COVID-19 vaccination campaign is based on very humane and important principles. Those who need the vaccine the most will get it first. Those who are at the maximum risk of getting infected will be vaccinated first. He said, our doctors, nurses, hospital sanitation workers and para-medical staff will have the first right to get vaccinated.
- English rendering of PM's address at the launch of Pan-India Rollout of COVID-19 Vaccination Drive India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- The entire country is eagerly waiting for this day. For months together, the children, old and the young in every household in the country had the same question as to when the Corona vaccine would come. So now the Corona vaccine has come, and in a very short time. A few minutes from now, the world's largest vaccination campaign is going to be launched in India.
- PM Launches pan India rollout of COVID-19 vaccination drive India PIB 16 Jan 2021 -- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modilaunched the pan India rollout of COVID-19 vaccination drive via video conferencing today. This is the world's largest vaccination program covering the entire length and breadth of the country. A total of 3006 session sites across all States and UTs were virtually connected during the launch.
- India welcomed to 'help expand global supply' as it launches mass vaccinations Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- India kicked off on Saturday what the Indian authorities has called the "the world's largest vaccination drive" to bring immunity against the novel coronavirus to its some 1.3 billion people.
- President Rouhani: At-risk people most likely to receive COVID-19 vaccines in two months Press TV 16 Jan 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says several COVID-19 vaccines are currently being developed in the country, expressing hope that the most vulnerable will receive shots before the current Iranian year ends on March 20.
- South Korea Reports 580 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 16 Jan 2021 -- South Korea reported today 580 more COVID-19 cases, including 547 local infections, raising the total caseload to 71,820, according to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA), Yonhap News Agency reported.
- Japan prepares legislation to punish those breaking COVID-19 rules Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- Japan is preparing legislation making it possible to punish people who do not comply with the government's measures to combat COVID-19, with the penalties possibly including hefty fines and even prison sentences.
- 140 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 159 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 16 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement, here today that 140 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 364,753, including 1,894 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan reports one new domestic COVID-19 case from hospital CNA 16 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan on Saturday reported one new domestic COVID-19 case, a nurse working in the same hospital in northern Taiwan with a doctor who was diagnosed with the disease earlier this week.
- Taiwan reports 7 new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday CNA 16 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan on Saturday reported seven additional imported COVID-19 cases that originated in the Philippines, Indonesia, the United States, South Africa and Russia, bringing the total of confirmed cases to 850 in the country since the pandemic began.
- Over 600,000 have received Sinovac shots in Turkey's vaccination program People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- More than 600,000 health workers in Turkey have received their first doses of COVID-19 shots developed by China's Sinovac during the first two days of the country's vaccination program, Turkish Health Ministry's data showed on Friday.
- Chinese COVID-19 vaccine draws positive response in Turkey People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- China's CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine has drawn a positive response in Turkey, as the country begins a mass vaccination campaign.
- Brazil confirms first reinfection with new COVID-19 variant People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Brazil's Health Ministry on Friday confirmed the country's first case of reinfection with a new variant of the COVID-19, detected in the northern state of Amazonas.
- UAE Records 3,432 Covid-19 Cases SPA 16 Jan 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates has recorded 3,432 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), bringing the total number of Covid-19 cases to 249,808.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|