15 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Statement From Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Announcement of DOD Inspector General Investigation DoD 15 Jan 2021
- At Request of Secretary of the Army & U.S. National Guard, Governor Andrew Cuomo Deploys Additional 250 Members of New York National Guard to Washington, D.C. for Inauguration Security New York State 15 Jan 2021
- Pelosi seeks criminal charges for lawmakers complicit in Capitol riots Press TV 15 Jan 2021 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says members of Congress found to have been complicit in the storming of the Capitol should face prosecution.
- Pentagon investigates white supremacists in US military after Capitol riots Press TV 15 Jan 2021 -- Far-right and white supremacist extremists have been actively recruiting in the US military, the Department of Defense has acknowledged, announcing an investigation into the extent of extremist ideologies among active-duty personnel.
- Pentagon Agrees to Provide 25,000 Troops for Biden Inauguration Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- The US Defense Department in a press release said that it will provide 25,000 troops in Washington DC to ensure security during next week's inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.
- Pelosi Warns Any Congress Member Who Abetted Capitol Riots May Face Prosecution Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- Suggestions that the rioters that stormed the US Capitol on 6 January were assisted by some congressional members have emerged over the week, with House Majority Whip James Clyburn alleging that the Capitol attackers were aware of certain office locations inside the building.
- Arrests Mount in US Capitol Riot With Nearly 300 Suspects Identified VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- U.S. prosecutors investigating the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of President Donald Trump have identified nearly 300 individuals suspected of involvement in the violent rampage that left five people dead, officials announced Friday.
- Virginia National Guard supporting 59th Presidential Inauguration Army News 15 Jan 2021 -- The Virginia National Guard has approximately 2,400 personnel on the ground in Washington D.C. as of Jan. 14, 2021, assisting civilian law enforcement in protecting property and providing a safe environment for citizens to exercise their right to peacefully assemble and protest leading up to the 59th Presidential Inauguration Jan. 20.
- State Department Terrorist Designation Reviews and Amendments US Dept. of State 14 Jan 2021 -- The Department of State has amended the terrorist designations of Lashkar i Jhangvi (LJ) and ISIL Sinai Peninsula (ISIL-SP) to include additional aliases. These aliases have been added to LJ and ISIL-SP's designations as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO) under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, and as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGT) under Executive Order 13224.
- State Department Terrorist Designations of HASM and Its Leaders and Maintenance of PIJ FTO Designation US Dept. of State 14 Jan 2021 -- The Department of State has increased sanctions against Harakat Sawa'd Misr â€“ also known as HASM â€“ by designating the group as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
- Mexico Exonerates Former Defense Minister of Drug Related Charges VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- Mexican prosecutors are not going to pursue criminal charges against a former defense minister arrested in the United States for allegedly collaborating with Mexico's most powerful drug cartel, the office of attorney general said in a statement.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Worldwide COVID-19 Deaths Top 2 Million VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- COVID-19 deaths worldwide exceeded 2 million Friday, according to Johns Hopkins University, a year after the coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan, China.
- WHO Calls on All Nations to Begin Vaccination Programs Within 100 Days VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- World Health Organization officials said Friday that they would like to see vaccination programs under way in every country in the world within the next 100 days, with frontline health workers and high-risk groups prioritized.
- As COVID deaths pass two million worldwide, Guterres warns against self-defeating 'vaccinationalism' UN News 15 Jan 2021 -- With more than two million lives now lost worldwide to COVID-19, the UN Secretary-General appealed on Friday for countries to work together and help each other to end the pandemic and save lives. In a video statement, Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres noted that the absence of a global coordinated effort has worsened the pandemic's deadly impact.
- COVID-19 committee stresses need for equitable vaccine access, more data sharing UN News 15 Jan 2021 -- As COVID-19 cases spike in parts of Europe, Africa and the Americas, and new variants of the virus emerge in some countries, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday called for greater global collaboration in ending the pandemic.
- Equitable access to vaccines now WHO's most urgent focus: Tedros People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- The most urgent focus now for the World Health Organization (WHO) is ensuring that all countries have access to vaccines on an equitable basis, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday.
- Biden Will Seek to Increase Federal Support to Speed Up Vaccine Rollout VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- U.S. President-elect Joe Biden unveiled a plan Friday to speed up the U.S. COVID-19 vaccine rollout, including increased federal funding, creation of thousands of vaccination centers and use of the Defense Production Act to expand the production of vaccination supplies.
- US COVID Death Toll Rapidly Approaching 400k, Says Johns Hopkins VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- The numbers for the coronavirus pandemic continue upward, with more than 93 million global infections and nearly 2 million worldwide deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center.
- Largest Multi-Site Distribution Complex in DOD Delivers for Operation Warp Speed DoD News 14 Jan 2021 -- As part of Operation Warp Speed's mission to develop and distribute COVID-19 vaccine, Defense Logistics Agency Distribution began shipping Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to Defense Department employees outside the continental U.S., the deployed U.S. Navy Fleet and a limited number of locations within the continental U.S., Dec. 22.
- Statement by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Doses Delivered Today DoD 15 Jan 2021
- DOD Awards $69.3 Million Contract to CONTINUUS Pharmaceuticals to Develop US-based Continuous Manufacturing Capability for Critical Medicines DoD 15 Jan 2021 -- On Jan. 15, 2021, the Department of Defense (DoD), in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), awarded a $69.3 million contract to CONTINUUS Pharmaceuticals Inc. to develop a domestic production capability for critical active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and final dosage form medicines using their proprietary integrated continuous manufacturing (ICM) technology. ICM enables rapid, on-demand production of medicines from API to final dosage form without interruption in a fully-automated, small-footprint facility.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Record High Number of COVID-19 Test Results Reported New York State 15 Jan 2021
- NY National Guard helps open massive vaccination site Army News 15 Jan 2021 -- The New York National Guard is back at New York's Jacob Javits Convention Center, helping to turn what was a COVID-19 hospital in 2020 into a mass vaccination site in 2021.
- USMC, DoD commences Operation Warp Speed USMC News 15 Jan 2021 -- Nearly one year after COVID-19 arrived in the U.S., the vaccine was approved for emergency use authorization on December 19.
- Ensuring a Transparent, Thorough Investigation of COVID-19's Origin US Dept. of State 15 Jan 2021 -- The United States has repeatedly called for a transparent and thorough investigation into the origin of COVID-19. Understanding the origin of this pandemic is essential for global public health, economic recovery, and international security.
- Fact Sheet: Activity at the Wuhan Institute of Virology US Dept. of State 15 Jan 2021 -- For more than a year, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has systematically prevented a transparent and thorough investigation of the COVID-19 pandemic's origin, choosing instead to devote enormous resources to deceit and disinformation. Nearly two million people have died. Their families deserve to know the truth. Only through transparency can we learn what caused this pandemic and how to prevent the next one.
- Chinese president on global vaccine cooperation People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- From promising to make its vaccines a global public good to joining the COVAX facility backed by the World Health Organization, China has been active in promoting global vaccine cooperation advocated by Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Use of COVID-19 vaccines follows strict requirements, procedures: HKSAR gov't People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- A spokesman for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Thursday that COVID-19 vaccines used in Hong Kong must satisfy the relevant requirements and procedures, and obtain emergency use approval in accordance with the Prevention and Control of Disease (Use of Vaccines) Regulation, with a view to ensuring the safety, efficacy and quality of the vaccines.
- China's Tianjin finds coronavirus on ice cream with imported ingredients People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Authorities in north China's Tianjin Municipality are tracing ice cream contaminated with coronavirus after three samples tested positive for the virus.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 43 confirmed, 68 asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province reported 43 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 68 asymptomatic infections on Wednesday, local health authorities said on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 135 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 144 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, of whom 135 were locally transmitted and the rest arrived from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- China's Jilin reports 14 asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province on Thursday reported 14 asymptomatic infections of the novel coronavirus, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- China province closes kindergartens, training institutions over COVID-19 People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Several regions in northeast China's Jilin Province have suspended in-person classes at kindergartens, after-school training institutions and youth activity centers due to COVID-19 outbreaks in parts of the country.
- Construction of COVID-19 quarantine units begins in northern China Press TV 15 Jan 2021 -- Chinese authorities have begun the construction of 3,000 makeshift quarantine units in Shijiazhuang, the capital of northern Hebei Province, state media reported on Friday (January 15).
- Germany records highest daily death toll since start of COVID-19 People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Another 1,244 COVID-19 deaths have been reported in Germany in a 24-hour period, the highest daily figure since the start of the pandemic, official data showed on Thursday.
- France orders stricter COVID-19 rules amid new variant fears People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- French Prime Minister Jean Castex on Thursday announced a new series of stricter COVID-19 rules -- among them an earlier nationwide curfew -- as the pandemic "is under control" but remains "worrying" because of the new rapidly spreading variants.
- UK bans arrivals from South American countries, Portugal over new coronavirus variant People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- The British government on Thursday announced its decision to ban arrivals from more than a dozen South American countries and Portugal starting from Friday, after the detection of a new coronavirus variant.
- UK records 55,761 new cases of COVID-19, 3.2 mln people now vaccinated SPA 15 Jan 2021 -- Britain recorded 55,761 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, an increase on the 48,682 cases recorded the previous day, with the number of people receiving a first dose of the vaccination rising to 3.2 million, according to government data, Reuters reported.
- UK records 1,248 new COVID-19 deaths, down from record level SPA 15 Jan 2021 -- Britain reported 1,248 new deaths within 28 days of a positive COVID-19 test on Thursday, down from a record high of more than 1,500 seen the previous day, Reuters reported.
- Britain to Require COVID-19 Tests for Visitors to Prevent New Strains VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Friday that travel corridors into the nation would be closed to fight the spread of COVID-19.
- Russia records 24,763 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Russia confirmed 24,763 new COVID-19 cases over the last 24 hours, taking its nationwide tally to 3,495,816, the country's COVID-19 response center said Thursday.
- India's Active Caseload further contracts to 2.13 Lakh India PIB 15 Jan 2021 -- India's total Active Caseload continues to manifest a sustained downward movement. It has dropped to 2.13 lakh (2,13,027) today.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout India PIB 15 Jan 2021 -- The Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, today reviewed preparations for the launch of the nationwide COVID19 vaccination drive scheduled to begin tomorrow. The Union Minister visited the Dedicated COVID Control Room which has been setup at the Nirman Bhawan premises of the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- Iran COVID-19 death toll hits 83 IRNA 15 Jan 2021 -- Death toll caused by COVID-19 pandemic over the past 24 hours hit 83, spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday.
- South Korea Reports 513 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 15 Jan 2021 -- South Korea's new Coronavirus cases stayed in the 500s for the fourth consecutive day on Friday, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- Prince Turki bin Hazloul Receives 1st Dose of Coronavirus' Vaccine SPA 15 Jan 2021 -- Prince Turki bin Hazloul bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of Najran Region, received here today the first dose of Coronavirus' vaccine.
- 173 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 181 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 15 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement, here today that 173 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 364,613, including 1,918 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan reports one new COVID-19 case -- an Indonesian worker CNA 15 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan reported a new imported case of COVID-19 on Friday involving an Indonesian national who arrived in the country last month to go to work on a fishing boat, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Sinovac vaccine awaits Brazil emergency approval despite 'unscientific' comparison with mRNA Global Times 15 Jan 2021 -- Brazil's health regulator Anvisa on Thursday urged AstraZeneca and Sinovac-Butantan to submit further documentation required for their COVID-19 vaccines' getting emergency use approval on Sunday.
- Brazil exceeds 1,000 deaths, 60,000 cases of COVID-19 for 3rd straight day People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Brazil recorded more than 1,000 deaths from the coronavirus for the third consecutive day, reporting 1,131 deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the national death toll to 207,095, the government said Thursday.
- Turkish president gets COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday received his first dose of vaccine as the country has started mass vaccination against COVID-19.
- Turkey begins mass COVID-19 vaccination with Sinovac's jabs People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- Turkey launched Thursday the mass vaccination program against COVID-19 with the vaccines developed by China's Sinovac company.
- Venezuela's Guaido rejects central bank deal to buy COVID-19 vaccines Press TV 15 Jan 2021 -- Venezuelan authorities say opposition figure Juan Guaido has rejected a deal, proposed by the Central Bank, to purchase coronavirus vaccines in Britain, where $1bn worth of Venezuelan gold is seized under US and UK sanctions.
- Russia Working With Venezuela to Ship Sputnik V Coronavirus Vaccine, Envoy Says Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- Moscow and Caracas are exploring ways to ensure the delivery of the Russian Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine to Venezuela, which is expected to start by the end of January, Russia's ambassador to Venezuela, Sergei Melik-Bagdasarov, told Sputnik on Friday.
- Oxford COVID-19 vaccine boss warns Australia against delaying immunizations People's Daily 15 Jan 2021 -- A scientist who led the development of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine has warned Australia against delaying its rollout.
- UAE Reports 3,407 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 15 Jan 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates reported 3,407 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), bringing the total number of cases to 246,376.
- Paraguay Registers Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine, RDIF Head Says Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- The Paraguayan Health Ministry approved Russia's Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus, the vaccine was registered under the emergency use authorisation procedure without additional clinical trials in the South American country, the Russian Direct Investment Funds (RDIF) said on Friday.
- Mexico's Nuevo Leon State Poised to Purchase, Produce Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- The Mexican state of Nuevo Leon intends to begin negotiations with Russian representatives over the purchase of the Sputnik V vaccine against COVID-19, Manuel de la O Cavazos, the state minister of health, told the El Universal newspaper, adding that the vaccine will likely be produced in the Mexican region as well.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|