09 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Statement on Misinformation on Social Media Regarding the Office of the Pardon Attorney US Dept. of Justice 09 Jan 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Johns Hopkins: Nearly 90 Million Global COVID-19 Cases VOA 09 Jan 2021 -- The Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center reported early Saturday that there are nearly 90 million global COVID-19 cases.
- Statement by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Doses Delivered Today DoD 09 Jan 2021
- Governor Cuomo Announces Three Additional Cases of UK Strain Identified in New York New York State 09 Jan 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Record High Number of COVID-19 Tests Reported New York State 09 Jan 2021
- China Completes First Round of COVID Testing in Locked-down City VOA 09 Jan 2021 -- The initial round of mass testing for the coronavirus has been completed in Shijiazhuang, a city of 11 million that was locked down Wednesday after 39 new cases of the virus surfaced, the city's mayor said Saturday.
- Shijiazhuang completes sweeping COVID-19 tests with 354 positive results Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, the hardest-hit city and also provincial capital in North China's Hebei Province, has completed citywide nucleic acid testing of more than 10.25 million residents, among whom 354 tested positive for COVID-19. Over 11,000 people have been isolated and the city will soon have a second round of citywide screening to spot all potential infections.
- Virus causing Hebei's latest outbreak may be imported from overseas via airports: experts Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- Virus that caused the latest flare-up in North China's Hebei Province is suspected to have been imported from abroad, as it share no similarity with epidemic outbreaks in other parts of China, local experts noted.
- Chinese vice premier visits coronavirus-hit Hebei, stresses strict control on movement Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- Amid the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak in North China's Hebei Province, Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan stressed during her visit to the province that Hebei must tighten control over the movement of people in key areas of the province and areas close to Beijing.
- Shijiazhuang suspends all subway, bus, taxi services Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei Province, announced the suspension of all subway, bus, and taxi services on Saturday, as the city reported 14 more confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Saturday.
- China is ready and waiting for WHO experts to investigate coronavirus origins: official Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- The exact time on when WHO experts will arrive in Wuhan and investigate into the coronavirus origin is still under negotiation, an official from Chinese top health body said, noting that China is fully prepared and waiting for WHO experts to complete formalities and settle on their schedule.
- China vows free COVID-19 vaccinations for general public Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- More than nine million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been conducted in China, proving Chinese vaccines are safe, said a Chinese CDC official, noting the country is providing the vaccine to the public free of charge.
- No direct link found between religious gatherings and source of infections in N. China's Shijiazhuang Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- There is no evidence suggesting any direct link of religious gatherings with the source of cluster infections in the coronavirus-hit county of Gaocheng district in Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei Province, with all relevant venues being closed and activities suspended right after the local COVID-19 outbreak, local authorities said on Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 17 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported 33 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, of whom 17 were locally transmitted and the rest arrived from outside of the mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Hong Kong reports 45 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Jan 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 45 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Friday, taking its total tally to 9,152.
- China Focus: With confidence in vaccine, key groups in China get COVID-19 shots People's Daily 09 Jan 2021 -- China is administering domestically developed COVID-19 vaccines to specific groups of people with high infection risks across the country.
- Over 1.2 million get COVID-19 vaccines in south China's Guangdong People's Daily 09 Jan 2021 -- Some 1.21 million people listed among specific groups with higher infection risks have received COVID-19 vaccinations in south China's Guangdong Province as of Thursday, according to authorities.
- Chinese vice premier inspects Hebei, demands control over virus spread People's Daily 09 Jan 2021 -- Following the important instruction of Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has inspected north China's Hebei Province, demanding efforts to curb the recently emerged spread of COVID-19 in the province as soon as possible.
- 19 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 09 Jan 2021 -- Nineteen COVID-19 patients were newly discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Friday, the National Health Commission said in a daily report Saturday.
- France Recorded 20,177 New Confirmed COVID Cases and 171 More Deaths in 24 Hours SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- France recorded 20,177 new, confirmed COVID-19 cases and 171 more deaths from the virus in the last 24 hours, Reuters cited data from the country's health ministry as showing.
- Portugal Sees Record Vrus Infections, Deaths SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- Portugal saw its worst day in the coronavirus pandemic so far today, on Friday, registering 10,176 new infections and beating its previous record set only two days before, according to dpa.
- India registers an unprecedented hike in Testing with more than 18 cr tests India PIB 09 Jan 2021 -- India has demonstrated an exponential increase in the number of COVID-19 cumulative tests. It has crossed the landmark of 18 crore (18,02,53,315) total tests today.
- Prime Minister reviews status of COVID-19 and preparedness for COVID19 vaccination India PIB 09 Jan 2021 -- The Prime Minister chaired a high-level meeting to review the status of COVID-19 in the country along with the preparedness of the State/UTs for COVID vaccination, today. Meeting was attended by Cabinet Secretary, Principal Secretary to PM, Health Secretary, and other senior officials concerned.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan chairs plenary session of the PRAVASI BHARATIYA DIWAS Annual Conference India PIB 09 Jan 2021 -- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare today chaired theplenary session on "Challenges of Post COVID - Scenario in Health, Economy, Social and International Relations" of the annual conference of the Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas through video conference. The 16th Convention being held physically at Mutthamma Hall is themed 'Facing Post-COVID challenges".
- Rouhani: Foreign companies not allowed to test COVID-19 vaccines on Iranians Press TV 09 Jan 2021 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says foreign companies will not be allowed to test their COVID-19 vaccines on the Iranian people, voicing his support for the Health Ministry, which prevented the move.
- Iran says home-made vaccine is safe, volunteers showed no adverse reaction Press TV 09 Jan 2021 -- Iranian health ministry officials say a home-made vaccine meant to tackle the COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus pandemic, has proven safe after a first trial on volunteers showed they had no serious adverse reaction to the jab.
- Rights Groups Criticize Iran's Ban On U.S., British COVID Vaccines RFE/RL 09 Jan 2021 -- Iran is being criticized by international rights groups for putting politics above its own people after Tehran banned imports of British and U.S. COVID-19 vaccines.
- Iran COVID-19 death toll reaches 82 IRNA 09 Jan 2021 -- Spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari announced here on Saturday that the COVID-19 death toll in Iran has reached 82 during the past 24 hours.
- Rouhani says COVID-19 emergency eased in Iran despite global surge IRNA 09 Jan 2021 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that thanks to observing the health protocols by the people, Iran witnessed an easing of COVID-19 emergency last week despite a surge in many parts of the world.
- Iran to inject seven more volunteers with home-made vaccine as of Sunday IRNA 09 Jan 2021 -- Iranian health officials have issued the necessary approvals for injection of seven other volunteers with domestically-developed COVID-19 vaccine as of Sunday, according to an official with Tehran University of Medical Science.
- Official says all COVID-19 drugs produced domestically IRNA 09 Jan 2021 -- Managing director of Food and Drug Administration said on Saturday that over 90% of the drugs for treatment of COVID-19 disease had already been imported but with the efforts of Iranian experts and pharmaceutical companies all of them are now produced domestically.
- 60 million people to receive COVID-16 vaccine in 4 phases: President Rouhani ISNA 09 Jan 2021 -- Iran's President described it necessary to avoid gatherings and strictly follow health protocols in the process of fighting COVID-19 in the country, and expressed satisfaction with the 80% decrease in the number of hospitalizations and 70% decrease in the death rate.
- South Korea Reports 641 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- South Korea's new Coronavirus cases dropped to the lowest level in a month on Saturday, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- South Korea Reports 674 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- South Korea reported today 674 more COVID-19 cases, including 633 local infections, raising the total caseload to 67,360, Yonhap cited the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) as saying.
- Japan to Require All People Entering Country to Submit COVID-19 Test SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- Japan will further tighten its border controls from tomorrow, Saturday by requiring all people arriving to submit negative results from virus tests taken within 72 hours of their departure for Japan during the period of the latest state of emergency, Kyodo reported.
- 110 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 174 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 110 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 363,692, including 2,024 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan records 3 new imported COVID-19 cases from Indonesia, Philippines CNA 09 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan reported three new imported cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, one from Indonesia and two from the Philippines, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- UAE Reports 2,988 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 09 Jan 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates reported, during the past 24 hours, 2,998 confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), 5 deaths, and 2,264 recoveries.
- Chile closes week with highest numbers of daily COVID-19 cases in six months Global Times 09 Jan 2021 -- Over the past week, Chile has recorded the highest numbers of new daily cases of COVID-19 in the last six months, with more than 4,000 cases registered for the third consecutive day, bringing the total number of cases to 641,923, the Ministry of Health announced on Sunday.
- Nigeria's Goal: Vaccinate 40% of Population Against COVID-19 This Year VOA 09 Jan 2021 -- Nigerian officials say the country is ready to receive its first COVID-19 vaccine doses by the end of January. The government wants to vaccinate 40% of the country's population by the end of this year. But experts say the cost and storage of the vaccine poses a challenge.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|