08 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Planning and Execution Timeline for the National Guard's Involvement in the January 6, 2021 First Amendment Protests in Washington D.C. DoD 08 Jan 2021
- Thirteen Charged in Federal Court Following Riot at the United States Capitol US Dept. of Justice 08 Jan 2021 -- Approximately 40 charged in Superior Court
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Calls for President Trump's Resignation or Impeachment New York State 08 Jan 2021
- After Capitol clashes, Trump pledges orderly power transition People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday there will be an "orderly transition" on Jan. 20, shortly after Congress concluded the electoral vote count certifying Joe Biden's presidential election victory.
- Trump pledges orderly transition after Congress certifies Biden's victory People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday there will be an "orderly transition" on Jan. 20, shortly after Congress concluded the electoral vote count certifying Joe Biden's presidential election victory.
- Turkey's president says US unrest 'disgrace for democracy,' hopes for peace in Biden era Press TV 08 Jan 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the assault on the US Capitol by President Donald Trump's supporters was a "disgrace" that "shocked humankind," expressing hope for a peaceful transition of power on January 20.
- Trump condemns his supporters who stormed Capitol Hill, promises smooth transition Press TV 08 Jan 2021 -- US President Donald Trump has finally acknowledged President-elect Joe Biden's victory and condemned his supporters who stormed the Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
- On Behalf of the U.S. Army: Statement on the National Guard Response in the District of Columbia From the Secretary of the Army DoD 08 Jan 2021 -- "During a rapidly evolving situation Wednesday, Jan. 6, the Department of Defense fielded multiple calls from elected officials requesting and offering assistance to the unprecedented breach of the U.S. Capitol Building. The Army and the D.C. National Guard were coordinating with the federal Capitol Police and the local D.C. Metropolitan Police Department to assist with an immediate response.
- Statement of Acting Attorney General Jeffrey A. Rosen on the Death of U.S. Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick US Dept. of Justice 08 Jan 2021
- Pentagon to Deploy More National Guardsmen to DC After Insurrection Than During BLM Protests Sputnik 08 Jan 2021 -- While the cost of repairing the extensive damage done to the interior and exterior of the US Capitol in the Wednesday insurrection is not yet tallied, the bill will ultimately be footed by taxpayers because the historic structure is uninsured.
- US Law Enforcement Authorities Step Up Investigation of Capitol Hill Riots VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- U.S. law enforcement authorities are stepping up a criminal investigation into Wednesday's attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of President Donald Trump that could include his role in instigating the mob.
- China's Propaganda Machine 'Makes Deliberate Use' of Washington Violence Radio Free Asia 08 Jan 2021 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s propaganda machine stepped up a gear this week, mocking the United States after a pro-Trump mob stormed the U.S. Congress building in Washington as it prepared to vote on endorsing President-elect Joe Biden's win in November's elections.
- Pro-Trump State Lawmaker Among Rioters Charged with Storming US Capitol VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- A pro-Trump state lawmaker who filmed himself storming the U.S. Capitol and an Arkansas man who was photographed with his foot on the desk of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are among more than a dozen rioters charged so far by federal prosecutors as part of a far-ranging investigation into Wednesday's attack on the Capitol, federal officials announced Friday.
- Three Foreign Nationals Charged with Conspiring to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 08 Jan 2021 -- The Justice Department announced today that three Sri Lankan citizens have been charged with terrorism offenses, including conspiring to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization (ISIS).
- Man Arrested for Illegally Entering Office of Speaker of the House US Dept. of Justice 08 Jan 2021 -- Richard Barnett, 60, of Gravette, Arkansas was arrested today in Bentonville, Arkansas on multiple criminal charges related to his alleged unlawful activities earlier this week at the U.S. Capitol Building where he was photographed with his feet up on a desk in the Speaker of the House of Representatives' office.
- Russian Hacker Gets 12 Years In Prison In U.S. In Massive Consumer Data Theft Case RFE/RL 08 Jan 2021 -- A Russian hacker who had admitted to participating in one of the largest thefts of consumer data from U.S. financial institutions, brokerage firms, and other companies, has been sentenced to 12 years in prison in New York.
- Pakistan Court Jails Suspected Mumbai Attack Leader VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- An anti-terrorism court in Pakistan has sentenced a suspected radical Islamist leader to five years in jail in a terror financing case.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO: Low Income Countries Not Getting COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization says wealthy nations have bought most of the current supply of available COVID-19 vaccine, leaving the world's poorest nations unable to obtain them.
- Assault on US Capitol Possible COVID-19 Superspreader Event, Experts Say VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- Health professionals and other scientists are concerned that the assault on the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday may also have been a COVID-19 superspreader event.
- DOD Awards $110 Million Firm Fixed Price Contract Action to Puritan Medical Products to Increase Domestic Production Capacity of Foam Tip Swabs DoD 08 Jan 2021 -- On January 8, 2021, the Department of Defense (DOD), in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), awarded $110 million to Puritan Medical Products to procure production equipment necessary to increase domestic production capability of foam tip swabs used in critical COVID-19 diagnostic tests.
- Biden to Release COVID-19 Vaccines More Quickly, Transition Team Says VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- President-elect Joe Biden's transition team said Friday that the incoming administration would more quickly release coronavirus vaccines once it assumed power on January 20.
- WH Coronavirus Task Force Fears New Variant of COVID-19 Evolved in US - Report Sputnik 08 Jan 2021 -- According to the media report, the US has ramped up its efforts in detecting new COVID-19 strains in recent weeks. And according to the latest data available, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have registered at least 52 confirmed cases of the UK COVID-19 strain in the country.
- Statement by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Doses Delivered Today DoD 08 Jan 2021
- Governor Cuomo, Eight Other Governors Issue Letter to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Asking for Expedited COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution New York State 08 Jan 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During Covid-19 Pandemic New York State 08 Jan 2021
- Governor Cuomo Announces Expanded Vaccination Network To Accelerate Distribution of COVID-19 Vaccine New York State 08 Jan 2021
- U.S. suffers record-high daily cases, deaths, hospitalizations People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- The United States witnessed another grim milestone on Wednesday amid the chaos at the Capitol, with the country's daily COVID-19 cases, deaths as well as total hospitalizations all set new world records over the course of the pandemic.
- U.S. confirms over 50 COVID-19 variant cases People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- A total of 52 cases of a coronavirus variant first identified in Britain have been confirmed in the United States, according to data updated Thursday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- US reports 4,000 daily coronavirus deaths for first time Press TV 08 Jan 2021 -- The United States marks its deadliest day of the COVID-19 pandemic with more than 4000 fatalities.
- Virus-hit Hebei capital stays calm in de-facto lockdown Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Despite the COVID-19 flare-ups in Shijiazhuang, capital of North China's Hebei Province, residents seem ready to overcome boredom and worry three days after the de-facto lockdown, with their optimism, calm and sense of responsibility. Shijiazhuang announced on Thursday that all people and vehicles in the city are not allowed to leave.
- Beijing suspends religious gatherings to curb COVID-19 risk Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- All 155 religious venues in Beijing will be temporarily closed, and gatherings will be suspended starting Friday for epidemic control purposes, an official from the city's Ethnic and Religious Affairs Commission announced on Friday at a press conference.
- Chinese vaccines slower than Pfizer in WHO validation, but 'intl orders unaffected' Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization is reportedly reviewing Chinese COVID-19 vaccines for possible emergency listing, and Chinese analysts believe that if Chinese vaccines, including CanSinoBIO's vaccine, is approved by WHO, it would significantly improve the confidence of developing and Western countries in Chinese vaccines.
- Mass vaccination urged in China to avoid "immunity gap" Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- China's Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine revealed on Thursday 78 percent efficacy rate and 100 percent protection against severe coronavirus infections in Phase III trials conducted in Brazil, bringing it closer to its domestic approval for the market and raises hopes for the second effective Chinese vaccine to be widely used, experts said.
- Update: Communities in Beijing 'sub-center' Tongzhou district enter 'war-time' mode for COVID-19 prevention purposes Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Communities in Tongzhou district in China's capital Beijing were asked to enter "war-time" mode for epidemic control purposes as COVID-19 flare-ups in the adjacent Hebei Province continued, announced Tongzhouzugong, the official WeChat account of the Organization Department of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Tongzhou District Committee.
- Some COVID-19 confirmed patients in N.China's Shijiazhuang outbreak attended recent religious activities: media Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Some COVID-19 elderly patients in a local village had attended religious activities regularly at a villager's home before they were confirmed in the latest outbreak in Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei Province, a village head told Beijing-based Health Times on Thursday.
- Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine 78% effective in phase 3 trial in Brazil Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- A COVID-19 vaccine developed by China's Sinovac was shown to be 78 percent effective during its final-stage trials in Brazil, becoming the second Chinese-developed COVID-19 vaccine to release its late-stage results and reach far beyond the threshold of efficacy of 50 percent.
- 10 medical teams sent to China's Hebei to aid COVID-19 screening People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- A total of 10 medical teams from two provinces in east China have been assigned to Hebei Province to help with nucleic acid testing as Hebei has reported over 100 confirmed COVID-19 cases since the beginning of 2021.
- EU Doubles Doses of Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- The European Union has reached an agreement with Pfizer-BioNTech for an additional 300 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine.
- London Mayor Declares 'Major Incident' Due To COVID-19 Threat VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- London Mayor Sadiq Khan Friday declared a "major incident" in the city, due to the rapid spread of COVID-19 there, which he said could overwhelm the National Health Service if it remains unchecked.
- UK records highest daily COVID-19 death toll since April People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- Britain reported a further 1,162 coronavirus-related deaths in the latest 24-hour period, the highest since April 21, official figures showed Thursday.
- France Reports 19,814 New COVID-19 Cases over 24 Hours SPA 08 Jan 2021 -- France reported today, on Friday 19,814 new daily confirmed COVID-19 cases, down from 21,703 on Thursday, Reuters reported.
- Orban Announces Extension Of Coronavirus Curbs In Hungary Until February 1 RFE/RL 08 Jan 2021 -- Hungary has extended partial lockdown measures aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus until February 1.
- India continues to report low daily cases; 18,139 added in last 24 hours India PIB 08 Jan 2021 -- India has been reporting a streak of very low daily new cases. Only 18,139 persons were found positive in the last 24 hours in the country.
- Iran cancels import of American Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines after Leader bans it Press TV 08 Jan 2021 -- The Iranian Red Crescent Society (IRCS) says the import of American Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines has been cancelled against the backdrop of a national address by Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, who banned the purchase of coronavirus vaccines produced by the United States and Britain.
- Iran's Khamenei Bans Imports Of U.S., British Coronavirus Vaccines Due To 'Trust' Issues RFE/RL 08 Jan 2021 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has announced a ban on imports of U.S. and British coronavirus vaccines, saying he does not "trust" the two countries.
- Iran COVID-19 death toll reaches 85 IRNA 08 Jan 2021 -- Spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari announced here on Friday that the COVID-19 death toll in Iran has reached 85 during the past 24 hours.
- Japan's Suga declares state of emergency in Tokyo, three neighboring prefectures over COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga declared a state of emergency in the Tokyo metropolitan area including Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa prefectures on Thursday, authorizing tougher measures to fight a resurgence in COVID-19 infections.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Receives 1st Dose of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine SPA 08 Jan 2021 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud received here today the first dose of Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine.
- 97 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 171 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 08 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 97 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 363,582, including 2,092 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Saudi King Salman Receives Shot of COVID-19 Vaccine - Video Sputnik 08 Jan 2021 -- Last month Saudi Arabia launched its inoculation campaign against COVID-19 using the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine. The kingdom has become the first Arab country to administer vaccine shots free for all citizens.
- Taiwan reports three new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 08 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan reported three new imported cases of COVID-19 on Friday, one each arriving from Nigeria, Egypt and the United States, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 825, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Brazil to acquire 100 mln Chinese CoronaVac vaccines: Health Minister People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- Brazil has signed an agreement with the Butantan Institute of Sao Paulo to purchase 100 million doses of CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccines, developed by Chinese company Sinovac, Brazilian Health Minister Eduardo Pazuello said on Thursday.
- China provides more medical equipment to help Zambia fight COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese government on Thursday donated more medical equipment to help Zambia tackle the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Malawi Bolsters COVID-19 Prevention Measures VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- Malawi's government will strictly ensure everyone is complying with COVID-19 preventive measures in an effort to curb surging cases of the coronavirus, now averaging more than 200 a day, authorities say.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|