07 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Remarks by Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany The White House 07 Jan 2021
- Top UN officials saddened at mob violence during US Capitol breach; Bachelet decries 'incitement' by political leaders UN News 07 Jan 2021 -- Top UN officials, including the Secretary-General and the President of the General Assembly have expressed sadness over the violence that erupted on Wednesday when supporters of President Trump stormed the US Capitol building, temporarily bringing to a halt the disputed certification of November's presidential election result.
- Trump Acknowledges Transition After Calls for His Ouster VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- With pressure mounting in Washington for his early removal from office over his followers' rampage through the U.S. Capitol, U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday indicated he is giving up his fruitless drive to cling to his office and committed himself to an orderly transfer of power to Democrat Joe Biden, who will be sworn in as the 46th president on Jan. 20.
- Top US Democrats Demand Trump's Ouster VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate called Thursday for President Donald Trump's immediate removal from office with 13 days left in his presidency after he urged a crowd of angry supporters to march on the U.S. Capitol, where they overran the building.
- US Prosecutors Prepare to Bring Charges Against Capitol Hill Rioters VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- U.S. law enforcement authorities have opened a criminal investigation into Wednesday's attack on the U.S. Capitol by pro-Trump rioters, enlisting hundreds of investigators to identify and arrest the perpetrators, officials announced Thursday.
- As US Reels From Capitol Violence, Russia Enjoys the Show VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- While governments around the world have expressed outrage and sadness over rioting that engulfed the U.S. Capitol Wednesday, Russia took a different view -- namely, vindication with a bit of gloating.
- Foes, Allies React to Washington Mayhem VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- For a moment, the world forgot the coronavirus pandemic.
- US Congress Certifies Biden Election Victory VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- The U.S. Congress certified Democrat Joe Biden's win in the November presidential election, completing its constitutional duty early Thursday after being forced to evacuate the Capitol when a mob of supporters of outgoing President Donald Trump swarmed the building.
- 'Assault On U.S. Democracy': World Leaders React To Mob Violence At U.S. Capitol RFE/RL 07 Jan 2021 -- Stunned officials from around the globe voiced a range of reactions - from deep concern and disgust to apparent satisfaction - after a violent mob stormed the U.S. Capitol, disrupting one of the final steps in the presidential election in a building that is the citadel of American democracy.
- 'The Celebration Of Democracy Is Over': In Russia, Gloating, Shock, Laments As Mayhem Mars End Of U.S. Electoral Process RFE/RL 07 Jan 2021 -- For some in Russia, the mayhem in Washington, D.C. and the chaotic end of the U.S. election cycle was cause for gloating: "America no longer charts the course, and therefore has lost all right to set it."
- 'We Know What To Do': Far-Right Figures Across Eastern Europe Applaud U.S. Capitol Violence RFE/RL 07 Jan 2021 -- Observers around the world were stunned to see a violent mob storm the U.S. Capitol building in a desperate, violent bid to overturn a legitimate presidential election and secure a second term for outgoing U.S. President Donald Trump.
- Pelosi, Schumer call for urgent removal of Trump from power Press TV 07 Jan 2021 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer have called for the urgent removal of President Donald Trump from power.
- Acting Secretary Wolf Condemns Violence at The U.S. Capitol DHS 07 Jan 2021
- Statement by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Yesterday's Violence at the Capitol DoD 07 Jan 2021
- Defense Officials Detail National Guard Response to Capitol Attack DoD News 07 Jan 2021 -- BY Once the reality of the assault on the U.S. Capitol became apparent, National Guard troops responded appropriately and with alacrity, DOD officials said in a phone briefing today.
- Statement of Acting Attorney General Jeffrey A. Rosen US Dept. of Justice 07 Jan 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo on the Failed Coup Attempt in Washington, D.C.: "A Universal Disgrace and Embarrassment For All Americans" New York State 07 Jan 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO warns of COVID-19 'tipping point' as cases rise across Europe UN News 07 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned of a "tipping point" in the fight against COVID-19, amid surging cases in Europe and the fresh challenge of a mutating virus.
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 86.63 Million, Death Toll at 1,873,667 SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- More than 86.63 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,873,667 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Statement by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Doses Delivered Today DoD 07 Jan 2021
- U.S. COVID-19 deaths top 360,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- U.S. COVID-19 deaths surpassed 360,000 on Wednesday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- California Sees Record Numbers of COVID-19 Deaths VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- California on Thursday reported over 1,000 deaths from COVID-19 in a two-day period, and the United States reported a one-day record of 3,865 deaths the day before, according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's COVID-19 Response, Makes an Announcement New York State 07 Jan 2021
- Chinese cities conduct COVID-19 emergency vaccinations, expect to inoculate 50 million before Feb 5 Global Times 07 Jan 2021 -- Chinese cities including Shanghai, Hefei, Haikou are pushing forward a plan to vaccinate 50 million people of key groups before the travel peak of Chinese New Year which falls on February 12.
- COVID-19 more covert to detection in Dalian latest outbreak? Health experts say no Global Times 07 Jan 2021 -- It took more than four rounds of nucleic acid tests â€“ which are considered as the most accurate and convenient way to determine novel coronavirus infection in the global COVID-19 pandemic fight, for 24 out of 82 confirmed local infection cases reported since December 15 in Dalian, Northeast China's Liaoning Province.
- China's villages a potential loophole in epidemic control, experts warn, as cases surge in Hebei Global Times 07 Jan 2021 -- Experts warned of potential loopholes among China's villages in the country's COVID-19 prevention efforts due to lack of awareness and measures for detecting COVID-19 virus in clinics, amid surging cases in North China's Hebei Province.
- Hebei capital locks down as concerns rise, patient zero unidentified Global Times 07 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, capital of North China's Hebei Province, has locked down outbound traffic and banned residents from leaving as the city reported a record 117 COVID-19 infections, including confirmed patients and silent carriers, on Thursday. Concerns continue to rise over a potential and graver situation as the origins of these cases have yet to be found.
- China, WHO discussing expert visit details People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- China is still in consultation with the World Health Organization over details for a visit by international experts to trace the origins of COVID-19, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Wednesday.
- China's Liaoning reports one locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- China's Liaoning Province on Wednesday reported one locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case and one asymptomatic case, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 52 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Thursday that it received reports of 63 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, of which 52 were locally transmitted and 11 were imported.
- Beijing reports one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Beijing reported one new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case on Tuesday, local authorities said on Wednesday.
- Shijiazhuang finds seven COVID-19 cases in mass testing People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, capital of north China's Hebei Province, has found seven COVID-19 positive cases since it launched citywide nucleic acid testing on Wednesday, local authorities said at a press conference.
- Macao shortens validity period of COVID-19 tests for travelers flying in from abroad People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Travelers who take flights to China's Macao Special Administrative Region from abroad will need to have negative nucleic acid reports valid within three days before departing, starting on Jan. 13, the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center of Macao said.
- Guangdong reports imported coronavirus variant case People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- South China's Guangdong Province on Wednesday reported an imported coronavirus variant case with a strain recently found in South Africa.
- 51 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases reported in China's Hebei People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- China's Hebei Province reported 51 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases and 69 asymptomatic cases on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Xinjiang reports 1 asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region reported one new asymptomatic case of COVID-19 on Wednesday, local health authorities said.
- China Intimidates COVID-19 Critics, Blocks Probe Into Virus Origins Radio Free Asia 07 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese government is carrying out a campaign of harassment and intimidation against people seeking to hold it to account for its handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a New York-based rights group.
- EU approves mass inoculation of 2nd COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- The European Union (EU) on Wednesday approved a second COVID-19 vaccine to be used across the bloc soon after Europe's medicines regulator issued a positive scientific assessment.
- Europe in Most Acute Phase of COVID-19 Transmission, WHO Says VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization warns the European region is probably in the most acute phase of COVID-19 transmission and drastic measures must be taken to control the spread of the pandemic.
- UK records highest coronavirus death toll since April, with new high in daily cases Global Times 07 Jan 2021 -- Britain reported a further 1,041 coronavirus-related deaths in the latest 24-hour period, the highest since April, official figures showed Wednesday.
- UK lawmakers overwhelmingly approve England lockdown People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- British lawmakers on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved the government's decision to impose the new national lockdown in England, the third of its kind since the coronavirus pandemic began in the country.
- Germany's health minister defends vaccination strategy People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Following growing criticism of a slow ramp-up of COVID-19 vaccinations in Germany, Health Minister Jens Spahn defended the country's vaccination strategy on Wednesday.
- Germany extends UK travel ban until Jan. 20 People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- The ban on travel from the United Kingdom to Germany was extended until Jan. 20 over concerns about a highly infectious new COVID-19 variant, the German government announced on Wednesday.
- France's daily coronavirus cases exceed 25,000 as pressure eases in hospitals People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- A total of 25,379 people tested positive for COVID-19 in France in the past 24 hours, the highest daily tally in one week, while pressure on the country's hospitals continued to ease, the health authorities said on Wednesday.
- France Reports 22 Cases of New COVID-19 Variants, Ministry Says SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- The French health ministry said today, on Thursday that 22 cases of new variants of the coronavirus have been detected in France, according to Reuters.
- Italy Once Again a COVID Hotspot VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- Vaccine inoculations have begun in Italy for medical staff and the most vulnerable, but the country's daily death toll continues to be well over 500.
- India scales an unprecedented peak, Total COVID Recoveries cross 1 Crore mark India PIB 07 Jan 2021 -- India has leaped across a significant milestone in its fight against COVID, today.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout India PIB 07 Jan 2021 -- As the country prepares for the COVID 19 vaccine roll out, the Dr. Harsh Vardhan Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare will be visiting the State of Tamil Nadu tomorrow. During his visit, Dr. Harsh Vardhan will personally review the preparedness and oversee the Dry Run operations at the scheduled sites. A massive countrywide Mock Drill to prepare for the COVID19 vaccination is being conducted tomorrow at 736 districts across 33 States/UTs.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan interacts with Health Ministers of States/UTs to review preparedness and seek their personal leadership in glitch-free Dry Run of 8th Jan India PIB 07 Jan 2021 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare today interacted with the Health Ministers and Principal Secretaries/ Additional Chief Secretaries of the States/UTs to review the preparedness for the nationwide Mock Drill on the COVID vaccination scheduled for tomorrow, 8th January, through video conference here today.
- COVID19 Update India PIB 07 Jan 2021 -- The Union Health Secretary has written to Maharashtra, Kerala, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal urging them to take steps to curb the spike in COVID19 cases. These States are reporting an upsurge in the number of daily news cases in the recent days.
- Iran COVID-19 death toll grows to 103 IRNA 07 Jan 2021 -- Spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari announced here on Thursday that the COVID-19 death toll in Iran has grown to 103 during the past 24 hours.
- S. Korea reports 870 more COVID-19 cases, 66,686 in total People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- South Korea reported 870 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Thursday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 66,686.
- S. Korea Confirms 3 More COVID-19 Variant Cases, Raising Total to 15 SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- South Korea's health authorities on Thursday confirmed three more cases of a more contagious variant of the new coronavirus that was first identified in Britain, bringing the variant's total caseload to 15, Yonhap reported.
- Japan's Suga declares state of emergency in Tokyo, three neighboring prefectures People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga declared a state of emergency in the Tokyo metropolitan area including Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa prefectures on Thursday, authorizing tougher measures to fight a resurgence in COVID-19 infections.
- Japan PM Suga to Declare State of Emergency in Tokyo Area As Virus Surges SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga is set to declare a state of emergency in the Tokyo metropolitan area today, on Thursday evening, authorizing more robust measures to fight a recent surge in coronavirus infections, Kyodo reported.
- Health Ministry: 108 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 108 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 363,485 cases, including 2,170 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 328 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Taiwan confirms 5th case of U.K.-variant COVID-19 CNA 07 Jan 2021 -- A fifth patient has been confirmed to be infected with the new COVID-19 virus variant first detected in the United Kingdom, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Taiwan records three new imported cases of COVID-19 CNA 07 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan reported three new imported cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, one each from the United States, the Philippines and Indonesia, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 822, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan finds another two COVID-19 variant cases People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan confirmed another two cases infected with a new variant of the COVID-19 virus, raising the total number to four, the island's epidemic monitoring agency said on Wednesday.
- Chile sees no decline in new COVID-19 cases in last 2 weeks Global Times 07 Jan 2021 -- No region in Chile has seen a decline in new COVID-19 cases in the last 14 days, the Ministry of Health said Wednesday.
- UAE Announces 2,988 New COVID-19 Cases, 3,658 Recoveries, and 5 Deaths in Last 24 hours SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention, MoHAP, announced that it conducted 163,100 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment.
- Indonesia Reports Record 9,321 New COVID-19 Infections SPA 07 Jan 2021 -- Indonesia on Thursday reported a daily record 9,321 new coronavirus infections, bringing its total cases to 797,723, data from its COVID-19 task force showed, according to Reuters.
- COVID Cases Rise in Israel Despite Successful Vaccine Rollout VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- Israel is the world leader in number of COVID-19 vaccinations per person, with 15 percent of the population already vaccinated. At the same time, the number of coronavirus infections is spiraling and Israel is going into another tight lockdown.
- African Continent to Soon Receive First COVID Vaccines, Health Officials Say VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- A ray of hope emerged Thursday for the Rainbow Nation, which has seen a massive spike in confirmed COVID-19 cases, as South Africa's health minister announced a large shipment of vaccines is coming this month.
- Peru Buys First Batch of COVID-19 Vaccines VOA 07 Jan 2021 -- Peru is expecting to receive its first batch of coronavirus vaccines this month to launch its long-awaited immunization program.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|