25 December 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Microsoft Reseller Compromised In Newly Revealed Attempted Intrusion Blamed On Russian Hackers RFE/RL 25 Dec 2020 -- Suspected Russian hackers have compromised a customer of software giant Microsoft through a reseller of Microsoft products, according to news reports on December 24, raising more questions about a massive cyberattack on U.S. government computer networks that came to light earlier this month.
- Uighur Diaspora Hails Removal of ETIM From US Terror List VOA 25 Dec 2020 -- Uighur activists and experts alike welcomed the removal of the East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM) from the U.S. terrorist list, saying the move by Washington last month helps the religious minority fight more effectively for its rights, while making it harder for China to portray its crackdown in Xinjiang as a counterterrorism measure.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- More mutated coronavirus strains may emerge in future: health experts Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- The United Kingdom reported on Wednesday two COVID-19 cases infected by another new mutant variant first reported in South Africa on December 18.
- The virus that shut down the world: The yawning gulf between rich and poor UN News 25 Dec 2020 -- Inequality between the rich and poor worsened during the COVID-19 pandemic and poverty increased, for the first time in decades. In part two of our series on how the virus has changed the world, we look at the ways the pandemic has pushed back efforts to create more equitable societies.
- Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Federal Government Reversing Its Policy on Testing Airline Travelers from the UK New York State 25 Dec 2020
- Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress on Day 300 of COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 25 Dec 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 25 Dec 2020
- China ramps up COVID-19 restrictions ahead of two major festivals Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Western countries have been gripped by the coronavirus nightmare since before Christmas with mega-cities being locked down, flights halted and daily new cases continuing to break records, a familiar scene to many Chinese who experienced the nation's early COVID-19 outbreak during its largest festival in 2020.
- Anhui starts its emergency vaccination project amid sporadic local cases in China Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Hefei city in East China's Anhui Province has started its emergency vaccination project on Thursday, local media revealed on Friday, amid sporadic outbreaks in China before the Spring Festival that includes family reunions in February.
- Beijing imposes fresh travel restrictions ahead of New Year holidays amid looming new COVID-19 surge Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Beijing's COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control faces a major test with sporadic cases re-emerging and the New Year and Spring Festival holidays fast approaching, the Beijing government said on Friday, calling on companies not to arrange business trips outside of the capital and abroad and advising residents not leave the city during the Spring Festival holidays in addition to schools and companies staggering their holidays.
- NE. China's Dalian tightens COVID-19 control amid latest cluster outbreak, collects 4.76 million samples for nucleic acid tests Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- The port city of Dalian, Northeast China's Liaoning Province, has tightened COVID-19 control measures and accelerated nucleic acid testing after entering "wartime mode" amid the latest local cluster outbreak, which brought 19 confirmed cases and 20 silent carriers between December 15 and 24.
- Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine shows 91.25% efficacy in Turkey trials Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Chinese vaccine producer Sinovac's inactivated COVID-19 vaccine CoronaVac shows 91.25 percent efficacy in Phase III clinical trials in Turkey, Turkish health ministry announced Thursday local time.
- Expert team dispatched to aid COVID-19 control in China's Dalian People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission (NHC) on Tuesday dispatched an expert team to Dalian, a port city in northeast China's Liaoning Province, to guide and assist in tackling cluster COVID-19 infections, according to a statement issued by the NHC on Friday.
- Chinese border city cleared of COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Manzhouli, a border city in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, was cleared of COVID-19 cases Friday, the regional health commission said.
- Three major Chinese airlines announce suspension of flights between China and UK Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Three major Chinese airlines, Air China, China Eastern and China Southern, all announced the suspension of flights between China and the UK.
- London reports biggest rise in new COVID-19 cases in England: Public Health England People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- London has seen the highest increase in case rates per 100,000 population among various regions in England with 602.2 in week 51 compared to 361.8 in the previous week, according to the latest figures updated on Thursday by the Public Health England (PHE).
- US to require negative COVID-19 tests for all UK passengers Press TV 25 Dec 2020 -- The United States will require all airline passengers arriving from Britain to test negative for coronavirus within 72 hours of departure starting from Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced.
- UK to have 'difficult' times as PM refuses to rule out national lockdown Press TV 25 Dec 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has refused to rule out another national lockdown to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, as a new more infectious variant of the deadly virus is now circulating in the country and around the world.
- UK records another 39,036 coronavirus cases, 574 deaths People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Another 39,036 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 2,188,587, according to official figures released on Thursday.
- France Records 20,262 More COVID-19 Cases, 159 More Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 25 Dec 2020 -- France registered 20,262 new, confirmed COVID-19 cases and 159 more related deaths in hospitals in the last 24 hours, Reuters cited the French health ministry data as showing.
- France Records First Case of New Coronavirus Variant VOA 25 Dec 2020 -- French health officials say the country has recorded its first case of the new COVID-19 variant that has led to new lockdowns in Britain and global travel restrictions on British residents.
- Italy enters red zone over holidays amid COVID-19 spike People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Italy on Thursday entered a nationwide red zone of very high risks forced by a spike in COVID-19, which is set to remain in place through Christmas and New Year's Day to Jan. 6.
- Indian state withdraws COVID-19 related night curfew following public outcry People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Following public outcry, India's south western state of Karnataka on Thursday withdrew the night curfew imposed amid fears of the new COVID-19 strain.
- India's Active Caseload of 2.81 lakh now only 2.78% of Total Cases India PIB 25 Dec 2020 -- India's active caseload has further slipped under 3% today, comprising merely 2.78% of the total cases.
- Central Government gears up for roll out of COVID19 Vaccine India PIB 25 Dec 2020 -- The Central Government is gearing up for the roll out of COVID19 vaccine across the country. As the vaccine administrators will play an important role in the vaccination process, training of trainers and those who shall administer the vaccine has been taken up across various States.
- Iran allocates funds to import COVID-19 vaccines; Kuwait starts national vaccination campaign People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Iran said on Thursday that it has allocated funds to buy COVID-19 vaccines from abroad as the obstacles created by U.S. sanctions have been removed. Meanwhile, Kuwait kicked off its national vaccination campaign.
- Official: 132 more Iranians die from COVID-19 over past 24 hours IRNA 25 Dec 2020 -- Some 132 people in Iran have died from coronavirus disease over the past 24 hours, Iranian Health Ministry Spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday.
- No evidence of new COVID variant spread into Iranian borders: Health official IRNA 25 Dec 2020 -- There is no evidence that the new COVID variant is circulating within Iranian borders, said Minoo Mohraz, a member of the national committee for the fight against the coronavirus disease.
- Iran Says It Won Approval From U.S. To Transfer Money To Buy COVID Vaccines RFE/RL 25 Dec 2020 -- Iran has won approval from the United States to use foreign currency reserves it holds abroad to buy coronavirus vaccines despite U.S. sanctions on Iranian banks, the central bank chief said on December 24.
- S. Korea's Virus Cases Hit All-Time High Despite Tougher Distancing Rules SPA 25 Dec 2020 -- South Korea's daily new coronavirus cases hit a new record high today, on Friday, despite the most stringent social distancing rules to contain the winter wave of the virus, Yonhap reported.
- HRH Crown Prince Receives 1st Dose of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine SPA 25 Dec 2020 -- His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense received here today the first dose of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine, in line with the National Plan for the COVID-19 Vaccine, carried out by the Ministry of Health.
- 178 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 207 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 25 Dec 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 178 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 361,903, including 2,920 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan reports four new imported cases of COVID-19 CNA 25 Dec 2020 -- Taiwan recorded four new imported cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total number in the country to 780, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Restrictive measures may be taken for flights from S.Africa amid fears of new strain Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland is likely to follow the international trend in suspending flights to and from South Africa, which has been hit hard by COVID-19, predicted Chinese medical and public health experts, who worry that a new variant of the coronavirus being reported there may bring risks and uncertainties to China's generally stable epidemic situation.
- Africa's confirmed COVID-19 cases pass 2.57 mln mark: Africa CDC People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the African continent has reached 2,570,886 as of Thursday afternoon, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said on Thursday.
- Covid-19 Deaths in Africa Exceed 61,000 Cases SPA 25 Dec 2020 -- The African Center for Disease Control and Prevention announced that the number of cases and deaths from the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) recorded a new high in African.
- South Korea, Japan, Indonesia Record Highest Daily Increases in COVID Cases VOA 25 Dec 2020 -- South Korea, Japan, and Indonesia recorded the highest daily increase in coronavirus cases Friday as a third wave of COVID-19 hit the countries.
- Morocco to buy 65 mln doses of COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Morocco has secured acquisition of 65 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine from two suppliers, Health Minister Khalid Ait Taleb announced on Thursday during the weekly cabinet meeting.
- Nigerian CDC Investigating New Coronavirus Variant VOA 25 Dec 2020 -- The Africa and Nigerian Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this week said a new variant of the coronavirus has emerged in Nigeria. The head of Nigeria's CDC said it is studying the new strain, which is different from new strains discovered in Britain and South Africa.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|