08 December 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Inquiry Says New Zealand Mosque Attacks Were Unpreventable but Finds Mistakes Were Made VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern apologized for failings in the lead-up to the 2019 Christchurch terrorist attacks, after a royal commission recommended a raft of legislative changes to prevent another massacre in the future.
- Russian Hacker Group 'Fancy Bear' Accused Of Cyberattack On Norwegian Parliament RFE/RL 08 Dec 2020 -- An investigation by Norway's Police Security Service (PST) has concluded that a cyberattack and data breach of the country's parliament was likely carried out by Fancy Bear, a hacker group that has ties to Russian military intelligence.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Epidemiological Update WHO 08 Dec 2020
- WHO calls US COVID toll 'shocking' as Pfizer rules out substantial vaccine Press TV 08 Dec 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has described the coronavirus death toll in the United States as shocking, warning that the US is "facing a critical situation" now.
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 66.85 Million, Death Toll at 1,538,379 SPA 08 Dec 2020 -- More than 66.85 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,538,379 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Experts: Vaccines Appear Safe, But Some Questions Remain VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- Vaccines against COVID-19 may begin arriving within days in the United States, as the fastest-ever vaccine development reaches a conclusion.
- Oxford/AstraZeneca Vaccine Proves 'Safe and Effective' VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- Researchers at Britain's Oxford University and pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca published a study Tuesday showing their COVID-19 vaccine candidate to be "safe and effective" at fighting the virus.
- Trump, Biden Vow Quick Coronavirus Immunization for Millions of Americans VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and President-elect Joe Biden, separated by 160 kilometers and a much wider political distance, held simultaneous events Tuesday focused on fighting the coronavirus pandemic.
- Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Nears Approval for Emergency Use in US VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- A COVID-19 vaccine developed by U.S. drug maker Pfizer and Germany's BioNTech has moved closer to approval for emergency use in the United States after the Food and Drug Administration disclosed documents Tuesday confirming the vaccine was strongly protective against the infectious disease.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 08 Dec 2020
- Pfizer Tells US Cannot Provide Additional Vaccine Doses as Most Stocks Bought Up, Reports Say Sputnik 08 Dec 2020 -- US pharma company Pfizer has informed President Donald Trump's administration that it will not be able to provide a significant number of additional doses of its coronavirus vaccine until late June or July 2021, as other countries have bought most of its supply, The Washington Post newspaper reported on Tuesday, citing sources.
- President Trump's Executive Order on Ensuring Access to United States Government COVID-19 Vaccines US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2020 -- On December 8, President Trump issued the Executive Order on Ensuring Access to United States Government COVID-19 Vaccines.
- 'Vaccination can't save US: analysts' Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- As a deadly surge in COVID-19 cases has led to more than 283,000 deaths in the US, US media reported on Tuesday that President Donald Trump nears signing an executive order to vaccinate all Americans against the coronavirus.
- NYS not to be shorthanded in fight against COVID-19: Fauci Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- New York State has been well-prepared against the COVID-19 pandemic and is expected to carry out its plan in a smooth way during the upcoming battle, Anthony Fauci, a top U.S. infectious disease expert, said on Monday.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 08 Dec 2020
- Sichuan starts emergency vaccine use for 12 priority groups, mass inoculation to follow Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Southwest China's Sichuan Province has started coronavirus vaccine emergency use for 12 types of high-risk groups - about 2 million people - with inoculation scheduled to be completed by the end of the year. The public will have access to the vaccine after the upcoming 2021 Chinese Spring Festival begins on February 12.
- Chengdu enters 'wartime mode' after 7 domestic COVID-19 cases in two days Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, Southwest China's Sichuan Province, has entered "wartime mode" after seven domestic COVID-19 cases were found in two days, with authorities racing against time to track the patients' close contacts scattered across the city. Experts say there is a high possibility that the Chengdu outbreak can be traced back to imported cases or goods.
- China suspends imports of aquatic products from Pakistan firm after positive COVID result Global Times 08 Dec 2020 -- China took the emergency measure of suspending aquatic product imports from a Pakistani company, after the packaging of three of its products produced positive COVID-19 test results, China's customs said on Tuesday.
- China's Chengdu reports 3 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, reported three new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, local authorities said.
- Hong Kong to further tighten social distancing measures to contain COVID-19: HKSAR chief executive People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Carrie Lam, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said on Tuesday that in view of the worsening COVID-19 epidemic situation in Hong Kong, social distancing measures will be further tightened including the banning of dine-in services in restaurants after 6 p.m..
- Shanghai tightens cold-chain transport control to fight COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- The Shanghai Municipality has strengthened port, airport, and cold-chain transport control to fight against COVID-19, authorities said on Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that it received reports of 12 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, two of which were locally transmitted in Sichuan Province.
- Chengdu reports two new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, the capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, reported two new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Monday, local authorities said.
- Britain Officially Launches COVID-19 Vaccination Drive VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- Britain has vaccinated its first citizen against the COVID-19 virus.
- British Health Secretary Addresses Parliament as COVID-19 Vaccinations Begin VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- As Britain's COVID-19 vaccination campaign began Tuesday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock told parliament that "the start of the fight back against our common enemy, coronavirus," had begun, adding there is still "much work to be done."
- UK records another 14,718 coronavirus cases with 189 deaths People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Another 14,718 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 1,737,960, according to official figures released Monday.
- France far from target to relax COVID-19 restrictions: health official People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- France is far from reaching the 5,000 daily target for new COVID-19 cases set by the government as a condition for lifting a nationwide lockdown, Director General of Health Jerome Salomon said Monday.
- India records lowest daily New Cases after a gap of 5 months India PIB 08 Dec 2020 -- India has achieved a significant milestone in its fight against COVID. The new confirmed cases in the last 24 hours have fallen below 27,000 (26,567) for the first time after nearly 5 months. The new cases were 26,506 last on 10th July, 2020.
- Pfizer, SII seeks emergency use authorisation for COVID-19 vaccine in India People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- Two vaccine manufacturers -- Pfizer and Serum Institute of India (SII) -- have applied for the emergency use authorisation for COVID-19 vaccine with Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI), officials said Monday.
- Rouhani: Iran to produce, purchase COVID-19 vaccine IRNA 08 Dec 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said that his government has on its agenda both production of the Iran-made COVID-19 vaccine with the help of Iranian scientists and buying it from abroad.
- Some 323 more Iranians die from COVID-19 over past 24 hours: official IRNA 08 Dec 2020 -- Some 323 people in Iran have died from coronavirus disease over the past 24 hours, Iranian Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Tuesday.
- U.S. "inhumane" sanctions block Iran's purchase of COVID-19 vaccines: central bank head People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- The governor of Iran's central bank said on Monday the U.S. "inhumane sanctions" have blocked Iran's purchase of vaccines needed to tackle the COVID-19 epidemic, official news agency IRNA reported.
- Iran planning to import 42mn doses of COVID-19 vaccines Press TV 08 Dec 2020 -- Iran aims to take delivery of nearly 42 million doses of coronavirus vaccines from abroad to immunize high-risk groups of the population against the disease while the public will receive jabs being developed inside the country.
- Trump administration blocking Iranians' access to basic needs during pandemic: Rouhani Press TV 08 Dec 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the administration of US President Donald Trump is obstructing the Iranian people's access to basic needs, particularly at the time of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Health Ministry: 193 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 246 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 08 Dec 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 193 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 359,115, including 3712 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan reports first COVID-19 case from China in 10 months CNA 08 Dec 2020 -- Taiwan recorded two new imported cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, including the first case coming in from China since February, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Interview: The World Has â€˜Great Responsibilityâ€™ to Help the People of North Korea During Pandemic Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2020 -- Ahead of Human Rights Day this week, RFAâ€™s Korean Service interviewed Joanna Hosaniak, the Deputy Director General at the Citizensâ€™ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights (NKHR), a South Korea-based NGO.
- Australians satisfied with country's COVID-19 response: study People's Daily 08 Dec 2020 -- The vast majority of Australians were reported being satisfied with their government's response to COVID-19, a new survey revealed Tuesday, with nine out of ten people in major states saying they agreed with the actions taken.
- Azerbaijan Extends Quarantine, Toughens Restrictions As Coronavirus Cases Increase RFE/RL 08 Dec 2020 -- Azerbaijan has extended the coronavirus quarantine and toughened movement restrictions amid an increasing number of infections in the country.
- Dropping COVID-19 Infections in Malawi Breeds Complacency about Prevention VOA 08 Dec 2020 -- Malawi has seen a drop in confirmed COVID-19 infections, despite increasing numbers of people ignoring rules on social distancing, wearing masks and washing hands. Some worry the growing complacency could lead to a second wave of the virus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|