30 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- On Latvia's Actions to Constrain Hizballah US Dept. of State 30 Nov 2020 -- The United States welcomes the Latvian government's recent announcement that it considers Hizballah in its entirety as a terrorist organization. Latvia supports U.S. implementation of sanctions related to Hizballah and has expressed a readiness to place national travel bans on individuals associated with Hizballah.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Update WHO 30 Nov 2020
- New infections fall globally for first time since September, WHO chief says, urges 'extreme caution' UN News 30 Nov 2020 -- Last week saw the first global decline in newly reported cases of COVID-19 since September, the head of the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday, advising that the news, while welcome, must be interpreted with "extreme caution".
- COVID-19 threatens global progress against malaria, warns UN health agency UN News 30 Nov 2020 -- Gaps in life-saving interventions are undermining efforts to curb malaria, amid fears that the coronavirus pandemic could set back the fight against the disease even further, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) has said.
- Readout from the Trump Administration's 43rd Governors Briefing on COVID-19 Response & Best Practices The White House 30 Nov 2020
- Moderna to Seek Quick Approval of Coronavirus Vaccine in US, Europe VOA 30 Nov 2020 -- Drugmaker Moderna said Monday it is seeking emergency authorization in the United States and Europe to distribute its coronavirus vaccine after tests showed it is 94% effective.
- Fauci Warns of COVID 'Surge Upon a Surge' VOA 30 Nov 2020 -- The top U.S. infectious disease expert warned Sunday of a possible, upcoming spike of the coronavirus.
- U.S. Colorado governor tests positive for COVID-19 Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- Governor of U.S. state of Colorado Jared Polis announced that he and his partner, Marlon Reis, had both tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the fifth governor in the country infected by the fatal disease.
- NYC COVID-19 infection rate hits new high of 3.9 pct: mayor Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- New York City's COVID-19 infection rate on 7-day average has reached a new height of 3.9 percent, compared with 3.64 percent reported one day earlier, Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted on Sunday.
- NYC announces plan to return to in-person learning at public elementary schools Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Richard A. Carranza on Sunday announced a plan to safely reopen New York City school buildings for in-person instruction with more rigorous testing protocols in place.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 30 Nov 2020
- U.S. sees over 100,000 daily COVID-19 cases for 27th consecutive day People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- The United States on Sunday reported more than 100,000 new COVID-19 cases for the 27th consecutive day, with over 135,000 cases counted by Johns Hopkins University from 0000 GMT Sunday to 0000 GMT Monday.
- Fauci warns of "surge upon a surge" of U.S. COVID-19 cases in weeks ahead People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- The United States may see "surge upon a surge" of COVID-19 cases in the weeks after Thanksgiving due to cold weather and travel, U.S. top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said Sunday.
- NYC first responders to receive COVID-19 vaccination in December People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- The first vaccines available to some of New York City's first responders could be distributed in a matter of weeks, according to an internal memo of the New York City Fire Department (FDNY).
- US Could See 2 COVID-19 Vaccines Available by Next Month, Health Secretary Says Sputnik 30 Nov 2020 -- US citizens could get their first shots of the COVID-19 vaccine before the December 25 Christmas holiday, with Moderna Inc becoming the second drug company after Pfizer Inc to apply for emergency authorization to administer doses, Health Secretary Alex Azar told CBS in an interview on Monday.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 30 Nov 2020
- HK urged to conduct city-wide mass testing as daily infections rise Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will suspend face-to-face classes and school activities in all kindergartens, primary and secondary schools on Wednesday as daily infections rise. Health experts suggested that conducting nucleic acid tests on the city's entire population would be the most efficient way of cutting off the source of infection.
- Manzhouli tightens land ports after virus strain found similar to that in Russia Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- As Manzhouli, China's largest land port in North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, rolls out the second round of nucleic acid tests after detecting a virus strain similar to that in Russia, the port city called for tighter restrictions on highway and railway ports along the Chinese border to curb risks brought by imported cases.
- Eastern Chinese city debunks rumor suggesting 'non-locals must leave' for COVID-19 prevention reasons Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- Authorities in Hangzhou of East China's Zhejiang Province recently addressed a rumor that had widely spread on both Chinese domestic and foreign social media platforms, fighting back against those who slander China's COVID-19 response measures with misinformation.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Monday that it received reports of 18 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including three domestically transmitted cases and 15 imported ones.
- China's border city reports 3 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- China's border city of Manzhouli reported three confirmed local COVID-19 cases in the past day, local health authorities said Monday.
- France Faces Public Resistance to COVID Vaccine VOA 30 Nov 2020 -- As French authorities prepare to roll out their COVID immunization strategy this week, they face skepticism in a country where surveys show many people do not trust the vaccine.
- French court orders government to loosen coronavirus rules on religious services People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- France's highest administrative court on Sunday ordered the government to rethink a 30-person attendance limit for religious services to contain the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- France's new COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations continue to fall People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- French health authorities on Sunday confirmed 9,784 new COVID-19 cases, down from 12,580 registered a day before, while the daily fatalities slowed for the second consecutive day amid improved situation in health establishments.
- Russian COVID-19 Vaccine Use to Be Limited to Hungary Under Emergency Approval, EU Official Says Sputnik 30 Nov 2020 -- The Russian coronavirus vaccine, if approved for use in Hungary via an emergency procedure, cannot be used in any other EU state, the European Commission's spokesman for public health and food safety, Stefan De Keersmaecker, said Monday.
- No COVID-19 Vaccine in India Before March-April, Says BJP State Minister From Assam Sputnik 30 Nov 2020 -- According to the federal Health and Family Welfare Ministry in India, 9.4 million infections have been recorded to date, resulting in more than 137,000 deaths. India's first COVID-19 case was registered in late January in the southern Kerala state.
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate improves to 93.71 pct Global Times 30 Nov 2020 -- The recovery rate of COVID-19 patients in India Sunday increased to 93.71 percent, the country's federal health ministry said.
- India sustains trend of declining Active Cases India PIB 30 Nov 2020 -- India continues to report a trend of steadily declining active cases. For the third day after the active cases dropped below the 6 lakh mark after nearly three months, the progressive decline has been maintained.
- Educational institutions, entertainment parks in western India state closed until Dec. 31 over COVID-19 People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- Local government in India's western state of Rajasthan has decided to close schools, colleges, cinema and entertainment parks until Dec. 31 in wake of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, officials said Monday.
- India COVID-19 Cases Top 9.4 Million SPA 30 Nov 2020 -- India's novel coronavirus cases rose by 38,772, the health ministry said on Monday, making it the 23rd straight day that daily cases have stayed below the 50,000 mark, Reuters reported.
- Thousands Of Pakistanis Defy Coronavirus Restrictions To Join Anti-Government Rally RFE/RL Gandhara 30 Nov 2020 -- Thousands of people have rallied in the central Pakistani city of Multan calling on Prime Minister Imran Khan to resign, despite a government ban and the arrest of dozens of activists.
- Some 371 more Iranians die from COVID-19 over past 24 hours IRNA 30 Nov 2020 -- Some 371 people in Iran have died as a result of the coronavirus disease over the past 24 hours, Iranian Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday.
- Health Ministry: 232 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 393 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 30 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 232 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 357,360, including 4,662 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan reports 24 new imported cases of COVID-19 (update) CNA 30 Nov 2020 -- Twenty-four new imported cases of COVID-19 cases were confirmed in Taiwan on Monday, with the majority being from Indonesia, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.
- Taiwan reiterates warning to travelers with fake COVID-19 tests CNA 30 Nov 2020 -- Travelers to Taiwan who present fraudulent COVID-19 test results on arrival could face a maximum fine of NT$150,000 (US$5,266), the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) reiterated Sunday.
- More Indonesian agencies banned from sending migrants to Taiwan CNA 30 Nov 2020 -- Six more Indonesian manpower agencies were added Monday to a list of companies banned from sending migrant workers to Taiwan after a spike in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases from Indonesia in recent days.
- Philippines records 1,773 new COVID-19 cases, 431,630 in total People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- The Department of Health (DOH) of the Philippines on Monday reported 1,773 new confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infection, bringing the total number in the country to 431,630.
- Canada extends int'l travel restrictions to stem COVID-19 spread People's Daily 30 Nov 2020 -- Canada on Sunday announced an extension of restrictions on international traveling to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- UAE announces 1,107 new COVID-19 cases, 714 recoveries, and 2 deaths SPA 30 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention, MoHAP, announced that it conducted 87,514 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Turkmenistan Clamps Down on COVID-19 Criticism VOA 30 Nov 2020 -- At the opening of a new hospital in November, President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow said no COVID-19 cases had been reported in Turkmenistan thanks to preventative actions.
- WHO Raises Alarm Over Virus Spread in Brazil, Mexico VOA 30 Nov 2020 -- The World Health Organization says it is very worried about the rapidly growing surge of coronavirus cases in Brazil and Mexico.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|