29 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- US Health Experts: Coronavirus Vaccines on the Way, but Precautions Still Paramount VOA 29 Nov 2020 -- Two top U.S. coronavirus experts assured Americans Sunday that vaccines against the pandemic would soon become available but warned that not taking precautions against the spread of the virus before then could prove disastrous.
- New York City Elementary Schools to Reopen With Increased Testing VOA 29 Nov 2020 -- New York City schools will reopen for in-person learning of elementary school children with increased testing, the city's mayor announced Sunday.
- U.S. San Francisco moves to Purple Tier in COVID-19 classification People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- Amid the surge of COVID-19 cases, the U.S. state of California on Saturday moved San Francisco to the most restrictive Purple Tier in its pandemic classification, forcing most indoor activities to close by noon Sunday and placing the city under curfew starting Monday night.
- Fauci warns of 'surge upon surge' as US tops 13 million COVID-19 cases Press TV 29 Nov 2020 -- US top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci warns about "a surge upon a surge" in coronavirus cases, as the nation heads into December, with coronavirus cases having topped 13 million across the country.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 29 Nov 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 29 Nov 2020
- Shanghai tests local residents after 'suspected' COVID-19 case in Songjiang district Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- A "suspected" COVID-19 case in Shanghai's Songjiang district has led to testing of the person's close contacts, said the district's epidemic prevention and control office, and no other cases have been found as of Sunday.
- Imported cold chain logistics face tighter inspections in China following fresh COVID-19 outbreak linked to frozen food contamination Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- Since June, at least 16 provincial-level regions in China have detected coronavirus on imported cold chain food or their packaging, prompting many cities across the country to implement strict quarantine measures on imported cold chain food to prevent a renewed COVID-19 outbreak.
- Chinese consumers, markets, importers wary of imported food amid surge in COVID-19 infections Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- With growing cases of novel coronavirus detected on frozen food imported from overseas, Chinese food markets have been scrutinizing every imported product, and to reduce risks, they have chosen to reduce amounts of imported food and shift their business to non-frozen food. Meanwhile, some Chinese consumers are avoiding imported foods and turning to domestically made food instead.
- China's leading infectious disease specialist suggests everybody get COVID-19 vaccinations Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- China's leading infectious disease specialist has predicted that Chinese COVID-19 vaccines will hit the market at year-end or early next year, and suggested that everybody get vaccinated if Chinese vaccines turn out to have good results in their Phase-III clinical trials, Shanghai Observer reported.
- Update: S.Korean employee in Chongqing tests COVID-19 positive after travelling abroad Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- A South Korean citizen who works in Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality was confirmed as an asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Saturday, when he arrived at Incheon International Airport in South Korea.
- More evidence supports multiple virus origins Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- More evidence and academic studies exploring the origin of the novel coronavirus have emerged, pressing the international community to review the issue and strengthen global cooperation, experts said Sunday after WHO officials reached out to researchers in Italy to investigate the virus origin and a Chinese study hinted that the human-to-human transmission may have started in India months before the outbreak in Wuhan.
- ASEAN diplomats acclaim Chinese vaccines Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- Diplomats from countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and representatives have acclaimed China's COVID-19 vaccines, expressing their confidence in promising results and expectations for further cooperation. The praise contrasts sharply with some Western media claims that Southeast Asian countries have distanced themselves from "China's vaccine diplomacy" due to their national interests potentially being compromised as a quid pro quo for accessing the vaccine.
- China's Wuhan finds coronavirus on imported frozen food People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- The city of Wuhan in central China has found that three imported frozen food packaging samples tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the municipal health commission said on Saturday.
- Chongqing launches COVID-19 testing, tracing after outbound traveler tests positive in ROK People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality has launched large-scale COVID-19 nucleic acid testing, tracing and disinfection after an outbound traveler was diagnosed as an asymptomatic coronavirus case upon arriving in the Republic of Korea (ROK), the local health commission said on Sunday.
- Britain's Johnson Asks Lawmakers to Back a Tougher Lockdown VOA 29 Nov 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is asking lawmakers to support new, tiered restrictions to keep the nation's hospitals from becoming overwhelmed before a vaccine for the coronavirus can be approved and distributed.
- UK says tough tiers needed amid worsening coronavirus pandemic Press TV 29 Nov 2020 -- The United Kingdom needs tougher restrictions following the end of the current lockdowns in order to prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed, a senior minister says.
- UK Medical Workers Could Receive Coronavirus Vaccine Within a Week - Reports Sputnik 29 Nov 2020 -- As the coronavirus outbreak begins to worsen in the United Kingdom following eased restrictions throughout August and September, the hope of second lockdown measures being lifted becomes predicated on the provision of new effective vaccines.
- UK Secures Another 2 Million Doses of Moderna Vaccine Against COVID-19 Sputnik 29 Nov 2020 -- The British government has secured another 2 million doses of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine and expects that around 3.5 million people will be able to get vaccinated, the government said in a Sunday statement.
- France sees further fall in COVID-19 hospitalizations as lockdown exit starts Global Times 29 Nov 2020 -- The COVID-19 hospitalizations in France further declined on Saturday as the country started a three-stage lockdown exit.
- COVID-19 casts shadow on Black Friday in Malta People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- The special discounts for Black Friday offered by retailers in Malta were not appealing enough to attract customers to step out of their houses amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Croatian PM in self-quarantine after wife contracts COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic has begun a 10-day self-quarantine after his wife tested positive for COVID-19, the government announced on Saturday evening.
- Russian Police Fine 1.1 Million People For Coronavirus-Related Infractions RFE/RL 29 Nov 2020 -- Russian police have fined more than 1 million people for violating COVID-19 restrictions since the beginning of the pandemic, the Interior Ministry said.
- Russia Reports 26,683 New Coronavirus Cases, 459 Deaths SPA 29 Nov 2020 -- Russia reported 26,683 new coronavirus cases on Sunday after the number of daily confirmed infections hit a record 27,543 on Friday. The new cases took the national total to 2,269,316 since the start of the pandemic, Reuters reported.
- 71% of the daily fatalities contributed by eight States/UT - Delhi, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Haryana, Punjab, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan India PIB 29 Nov 2020 -- 70.97% of the 496 case fatalities reported in the past 24 hours are contributed by eight States/UTs ie Delhi, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Haryana, Punjab, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- 71% of the daily fatalities contributed by eight States/UT - Delhi, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Haryana, Punjab, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan India PIB 29 Nov 2020 -- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) has increased the number of ICU beds to 500 in Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Covid Hospital at Delhi Cantonment on the advice of Union Government in view of the rising number of cases in Delhi NCR. All the beds are provided with oxygen support. Director General Armed Forces Medical Services (DGAFMS), Lt Gen Anup Banerji, SM, PHS, has been continuously monitoring the updating of the facility to meet the current upsurge and the information has been updated on Delhi Government portal.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 389 more in Iran IRNA 29 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday that some 389 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 47,874.
- Health minister says COVID19 death toll falling IRNA 29 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Minister of Health, Treatment and Medical Education Saeed Namaki said after about one month, coronavirus daily death toll reached to below 400 cases for the second consecutive day.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 217 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 29 Nov 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Official Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdulaali said in a press conference here today that 217 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 327,128 cases, including 4,835 active cases receiving necessary medical care.
- Taiwan office to test all staff, family members for COVID-19 CNA 29 Nov 2020 -- All remaining staff at Taiwan's representative office in the United States and their family members will undergo COVID-19 tests by Nov. 30, after nine more confirmed cases have been reported in the office in D.C. earlier this week, the office said Saturday.
- 3 new imported cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Taiwan CNA 29 Nov 2020 -- Three Indonesian women who came to Taiwan to work have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the number of cases in the country to 651 since the pandemic began late last year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Sunday.
- Stricter State Emergency Anti-epidemic Measures Enforced in DPRK KCNA 29 Nov 2020 -- Emergency anti-epidemic system is in full force in the country with endeavors increasing to take cautions against possible porosity and take preemptive measures.
- North Korea Reportedly Enhances Control Measures at Borders Due to COVID-19 Sputnik 29 Nov 2020 -- North Korea, which officially remains coronavirus-free, has enforced stricter control measures at state borders to keep COVID-19 out of the country, the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Sunday.
- Death toll from COVID-19 tops 172,000 in Brazil People's Daily 29 Nov 2020 -- Brazil registered 587 more deaths from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, bringing the national count to 172,561, the Health Ministry said Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|