23 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Fifteen Members and Associates of Philadelphia La Cosa Nostra Indicted on Federal Racketeering Charges US Dept. of Justice 23 Nov 2020 -- A superseding indictment was unsealed today against 15 defendants, including alleged members and associates of the South Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey-based criminal organization La Cosa Nostra (LCN), popularly known as the 'mafia' or 'mob.' The superseding indictment charges various crimes including racketeering conspiracy, illegal gambling, loansharking, extortion, and drug trafficking.
- Trump To Roll Out Stiff Bond Requirements For Visitors From 'Overstay' Countries, Including Iran, Afghanistan RFE/RL 23 Nov 2020 -- Washington announced on November 23 that it will launch a six-month trial program next month to force visitors from about two dozen countries to post thousands of dollars in bonds before they enter the United States.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- G20 leadership vital in defense against COVID-19: UN chief People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Sunday that the leadership of the Group of 20 (G20) is vital in the global struggle with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 58.61 Million, Death Toll at 1,389,031 SPA 23 Nov 2020 -- More than 58.61 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,389,031 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- 'Real hope' surrounding COVID vaccines 'cannot be overstated' â€“ WHO chief UN News 23 Nov 2020 -- Along with other tried and tested public health measures, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) told journalists on Monday that "there is now real hope" that vaccines will play an essential part in helping end the COVID pandemic.
- UNICEF planning 'mammoth operation' to deliver COVID-19 vaccines UN News 23 Nov 2020 -- The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) is working with more than 350 partners, including major airlines, shipping lines and logistics associations from around the world, to deliver COVID-19 vaccines to over 92 countries, as soon as doses become available, the agency said on Monday.
- WHO Chief Calls for Equal Access to COVID-19 Vaccines VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) Monday called on the international community to put the same effort into fairly distributing coronavirus vaccines, which appear to be on the verge of approval, as they did in creating them.
- AstraZeneca Announces 'Highly Effective' COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- AstraZeneca said early Monday that clinical trials of its COVID-19 vaccine in Britain and Brazil have shown it is "highly effective in preventing COVID-19" without "hospitalizations or severe cases of the disease" in any of the trial's volunteers.
- Vaccine Breakthrough Raises Hopes of Rapid Global Rollout VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- A coronavirus vaccine developed by Britain's University of Oxford and the pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca has shown successful results in early trials. If it is approved by regulators, the vaccine appears suitable for a fast rollout around the globe.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practicesâ€™ Ethical Principles for Allocating Initial Supplies of COVID-19 Vaccine â€” United States, 2020 CDC 23 Nov 2020
- Colleges Closing Quickly as COVID-19 Cases Rise VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- As the Thanksgiving holiday looms, more colleges and universities in the United States continue to abruptly shut down their campuses for the remainder of the fall semester because of increased COVID-19 cases across the country.
- Millions of Americans Flying, Despite CDC Guidance VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- The CDC has urged Americans not to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday this week as COVID-19 cases continue to surge, but millions are ignoring recommendations.
- DOD Awards $565,000 Contract to Freeman Manufacturing Co. to Increase Domestic Production Capacity of Disposable Gowns DoD 23 Nov 2020 -- On Nov. 20, 2020, the Department of Defense (DOD), in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), awarded a $565,000 contract to Freeman Manufacturing Co. to increase domestic production capability of disposable gowns.
- Operation Warp Speed Refines Vaccine Delivery Plan DoD News 23 Nov 2020 -- While the reality of a COVID-19 vaccine inches closer, the team at Operation Warp Speed is refining its plan to deliver doses across the country.
- Warp Speed Readies to Distribute New Drug Cocktail for COVID-19 DoD News 23 Nov 2020 -- On Saturday, the Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization, or EUA, for casirivimab and imdevimab. Administered together, intravenously, this drug "cocktail" has been shown in trials to reduce hospitalization or emergency room visits in patients who have contracted COVID-19.
- NYS governor warns of COVID-19 cases surge in holiday season Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- There might be more COVID-19 cases between now and January, as holidays come one after another and people tend to travel a lot to meet and celebrate, which is just one of the main reasons fueling the spread of the pandemic, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo warned on Sunday.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Updated COVID-19 Micro-Cluster Focus Zones New York State 23 Nov 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Reminds New Yorkers, 'This is Not a Normal Thanksgiving' New York State 23 Nov 2020
- Leading U.S. hospital nearly overwhelmed amid surging COVID-19 cases, incompetent response: report People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Amid surging COVID-19 cases and an incompetent response by the government, the University of Nebraska Medical Center, a leading U.S. hospital in handling dangerous and unusual diseases, has been nearly overwhelmed, according to a media report.
- U.S. adds 1 mln COVID-19 cases in 7 days People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- The United States reported more than one million new COVID-19 cases over the past week, a 26 percent increase over the previous week, according to latest data of the COVID Tracking Project.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 23 Nov 2020
- Shanghai reflects China's speed in fighting virus Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- After overnight nucleic acid tests on more than 17,700 people working in the Shanghai Pudong International Airport, the busy transportation hub where seven COVID-19 cases were found returned to normal on Monday.
- China pledges global vaccine cooperation amid unequal distribution fears Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- China said it will prioritize the strengthening of international cooperation on vaccine development, and make concrete efforts to promote equal distribution, as the Chinese leader has promised to make the vaccines accessible to developing countries on major diplomatic occasions, including the recent G20 summit.
- UPS and FedEx employees at Shanghai Pudong International Airport tested positive for COVID-19 Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- UPS and FedEx employees at Shanghai Pudong International Airport tested positive for COVID-19 after the airport tested 17,719 staff members since it initiated nucleic acid tests on Sunday for all staff, the local CDC reported on Monday night.
- Pudong cargo business not impacted by recently confirmed COVID-19 cases Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- At least seven new confirmed local COVID-19 cases all related to cargo operations in Shanghai Pudong International Airport during the last two weeks were reported, making the freight coming into the city (and its COVID-19 prevention measures) the main focus for the public as Shanghai plays an important role in international freight transportation.
- COVID-19 found in Shanghai highly similar to North American virus strain Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- The local COVID-19 case discovered on November 9 who worked at Pudong International Airport in Shanghai and his colleague who was confirmed the next day in Anhui Province were infected with a virus strain similar to that from North America, Shanghai authorities announced on Monday.
- Shanghai Pudong Airport starts testing all staff after COVID-19 cases discovered Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- Shanghai Pudong Airport started on Sunday night testing all staff after the airport found several cargo handlers and close contacts tested positive for the coronavirus over the past several days.
- Beijing reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- One new imported COVID-19 case was reported in Beijing on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Monday that it received reports of 11 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including two domestically transmitted cases and nine imported ones.
- 12 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Monday that 12 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Sunday.
- Shanghai reports 2 new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, 1 new imported case People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Shanghai reported two new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and one imported COVID-19 case on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese mainland registered 11 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, of which nine cases were from overseas, the National Health Commission announced on Monday.
- France envisages gradual lockdown exit: official People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- As the countdown on the second confinement starts amid improved epidemic data, France envisaged a three-stage process to return to normalcy to avoid the virus resurgence, government spokesperson Gabriel Attal announced on Sunday.
- Boris Johnson introduces post-lockdown three-tiered system to contain Covid-19 Press TV 23 Nov 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, unveiled a 56-page COVID Winter Plan to Parliament on Monday (November 23), effectively replacing the second lockdown with a "tougher" version of the old tiered system of restrictions.
- British PM Lays Out Post-Lockdown Restrictions VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has unveiled an updated plan for handling Britain's COVID-19 infection after the country's partial national lockdown is lifted December 2.
- Swedish PM Urges Citizens to Abide by Coronavirus Restrictions VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven has urged his country to do what is necessary to bring the coronavirus pandemic under control, warning that "people's health and lives are in danger."
- Hungary To Test Russian Coronavirus Vaccine RFE/RL 23 Nov 2020 -- Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto says Hungary is pressing ahead with testing on a Russian coronavirus vaccine after being the first European country to receive samples of the Sputnik-V last week.
- India's Active Caseload remains below 5% of Total Cases India PIB 23 Nov 2020 -- India's present active caseload (4,43,486) is 4.85% of the total Positive Cases, and has been sustained below the 5% mark.
- Pakistan Closes Educational Institutions Amid COVID-19 Surge RFE/RL Gandhara 23 Nov 2020 -- Pakistan's educational institutions are to remain closed for more than a month amid a surge in coronavirus infections and related deaths.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 453 more in Iran IRNA 23 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday that some 453 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 45,255.
- Iran's total COVID-19 cases surpass 850,000; Turkey's daily cases exceed 6,000 mark People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Iran reported 13,053 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, raising the total nationwide infections to 854,361. Meanwhile, Turkey exceeded the 6,000-mark on daily cases for the first time as the country adds 6,017 new infections, bringing the tally to 446,822.
- S. Korea reports 271 more COVID-19 cases, 31,004 in total People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- South Korea reported 271 more cases of the COVID-19 as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 31,004.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 231 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 23 Nov 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Official Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdulaali said in a press conference here today that 231 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 355,489 cases, including 5,877 active cases receiving necessary medical care.
- Taiwanese COVID-19 patient returns from Ghana on medical flight CNA 23 Nov 2020 -- A Taiwanese man in critical condition after contracting COVID-19 in Ghana became the nation's latest confirmed patient Monday after returning to the country aboard a medical charter flight, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- COVID-19 deaths in Brazil surpass 169,000 People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Brazil has registered 194 new deaths from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, bringing the national death toll to 169,183, the Ministry of Health said on Sunday.
- Canada continues to see sharp rise of COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Canada continued to see a sharp rise of COVID-19 cases on Sunday, with the country's total caseload surpassing 330,000.
- Bahrain says coronavirus among inmates, confirming rights groups' concerns Press TV 23 Nov 2020 -- Bahrain says a number of female detainees who are behind bars in the island country because of visa violations have tested positive for the COVID-19 disease.
- Australia Lifts COVID-19 Border Closures Between Two States VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- The border between Australia's most populous states has finally been reopened after almost five months of COVID-19 restrictions. Victoria has managed to contain a deadly second wave of infections, and unfettered travel into neighboring New South Wales is now permitted.
- Seven Sudanese Doctors Die from COVID-19 in 10 Days VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- Sudanese health authorities said Sunday that seven medical doctors died from COVID-19 in 10 days, a development that reflects Sudan's sharp rise in cases in recent weeks. Nearly 100 deaths were recorded in the past month.
- Hamas warns of complications amid rise in COVID-19 infections in Gaza Press TV 23 Nov 2020 -- The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has warned against an unfolding health catastrophe amid a trend of new COVID-19 infections across the besieged Gaza Strip and an exhausted medical system.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|