11 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Macron calls for EU-wide coordination in response to terrorism People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday called for enhanced efforts across the European Union (EU) to fight terrorism in a "rapid, coordinated and joint" approach, noting many European cities have been troubled by the problem.
- Will Border Security Solve Europe's Terror Threat? VOA 11 Nov 2020 -- France and Germany have called for much stronger external border security following recent terror attacks in Europe. Experts say, however, that such measures alone are unlikely to solve the problem.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Developing Nations Could Lose Out in Race for Coronavirus Vaccine VOA 11 Nov 2020 -- A coronavirus vaccine that has proved 90% effective after early trials has raised hopes that the global pandemic can be brought under control in the coming months.
- Hunger, Migration Surging as Pandemic Takes Heavy Economic Toll VOA 11 Nov 2020 -- The United Nations warns global hunger is reaching new heights as COVID-19 devastates economies around the world. A report by the World Food Program and International Organization for Migration says severe food shortages are forcing millions of people to migrate in search of work to feed their families.
- US Posts One-Day Record for COVID-19 Hospitalizations VOA 11 Nov 2020 -- The United States recorded 61,964 COVID-19 hospitalizations on Tuesday, breaking the previous one-day high from mid-April by more than 2,000.
- 21 more U.S. soldiers, civilians in S. Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- Sixteen more U.S. soldiers and five other individuals in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) has said.
- U.S. reports daily record increase of 201,214 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- The United States has reported a record daily increase of 201,214 COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, showed the tally released Tuesday by Johns Hopkins University.
- U.S. FDA authorizes emergency use of Eli Lilly's antibody COVID-19 treatment People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for American drugmaker Eli Lilly's monoclonal antibody therapy to treat mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adult and pediatric patients.
- Number of Americans open to another COVID-19 lockdown falls off: Poll Press TV 11 Nov 2020 -- The number of American citizens open to another COVID-19 lockdown has declined in comparison to the spring, according to a new poll.
- Texas Surpasses 1 Million COVID-19 Cases VOA 11 Nov 2020 -- Texas became the first U.S. state Wednesday to surpass 1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, with California close behind.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Restaurants, Bars & Other SLA-licensed Entities Must Close In-person Service From 10 PM to 5 AM New York State 11 Nov 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 11 Nov 2020
- Anhui enters 'wartime mode' after one new COVID-19 case related to Shanghai Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- East China's Anhui Province announced on Wednesday it was entering "wartime mode" after one COVID-19 case related to Shanghai was reported on Tuesday. The province has emphasized prevention measures as well as epidemiological surveys related to the case.
- Update: Asymptomatic patient in Tianjin identified as new confirmed case, bringing total to 139 Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality identified a new confirmed case of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the total to 139. The patient is a cargo driver, who was diagnosed as asymptomatic on Monday and linked to the latest outbreak in a local frozen food warehouse, the People's Daily reported.
- Don't let sporadic cases affect normal operation in China: Zhang Wenhong Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- Don't let sporadic cases affect normal operation in China, said Zhang Wenhong, China's leading infectious disease specialist and head of the Shanghai COVID-19 medical team, on China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo after a new COVID-19 case was reported in the city, causing concern of a resurgence of the pandemic.
- Hong Kong SAR offers green channel for its residents back home Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- The government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) announced the launch of EasyPass on Wednesday, a quarantine-exemption scheme designated for Hong Kong people, under which all Hong Kong people arriving from Guangdong and Macao will be exempted from quarantine for 14 days if they arrive by land port with valid negative nucleic acid test results.
- China's Tianjin reports one newly confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality reported one confirmed COVID-19 case Wednesday, local authorities said.
- China's Tianjin completes COVID-19 testing in two medium-risk areas People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- China's Tianjin Municipality has completed nucleic acid testing for COVID-19 in two medium-risk areas, local health authorities said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Wednesday that it received reports of 17 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, including one that was domestically transmitted and 16 imported.
- East China's Anhui Province reports one COVID-19 case People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- The city of Fuyang in east China's Anhui Province on Tuesday reported one new COVID-19 case related to a confirmed case in Shanghai, the local epidemic response headquarters said.
- China's Tianjin reports new asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality reported one new asymptomatic case of COVID-19 Tuesday, local health authorities said.
- EU says to purchase up to 300 mln doses of BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- The European Union (EU) will authorize a contract for the purchase of up to 300 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine jointly developed by German company BioNTech and its American partner Pfizer, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Tuesday.
- UK's test, trace chief says program failed to predict demand People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- Britain's National Health Service (NHS) coronavirus test and trace program had failed to predict the scale of demand for testing as schools and universities returned this autumn, the head of the program said Tuesday.
- UK records highest daily coronavirus death toll since mid-May People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- Another 532 people with coronavirus have died in Britain, marking the highest daily coronavirus death toll since mid-May, according to official figures released Tuesday.
- Boris Johnson Says Pfizer Vaccine Not a 'Knockout Blow' to COVID-19 as MPs Fight Lockdown Extension Sputnik 11 Nov 2020 -- While England has been placed into a second lockdown amid resurgent coronavirus cases throughout the country as the Winter months draw closer, new trial results have seen hopes of a working vaccine becoming available next year appear more promising.
- COVID-19: Hungary Imposes Strict Restrictions As Virus Situation Worsens RFE/RL 11 Nov 2020 -- The Hungarian government has imposed its strictest pandemic measures so far amid a quickly worsening COVID-19 situation, drastically changing course after weeks of lax restrictions and an optimistic outlook from Prime Minister Viktor Orban.
- Russian Journalist Fined For Spreading 'False' Information About Coronavirus RFE/RL 11 Nov 2020 -- A court in Russia's Volga Federal District has fined a journalist for spreading "false" information about the coronavirus after he criticized a church's religious gatherings for being superspreader events.
- Russian Sputnik-V Producer Claims COVID-19 Vaccine Is 92 Percent Effective RFE/RL 11 Nov 2020 -- The Russian Sputnik-V vaccine against the coronavirus is more than 90 percent effective at protecting people, the producer said on November 11, as Moscow rushes to keep pace with Western drug makers in the race for a vaccine.
- Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Has 92% Efficacy, Interim Analysis Shows Sputnik 11 Nov 2020 -- Russia's coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V has demonstrated 92 percent efficacy based on the first interim analysis that was obtained 21 days after volunteers received the first injection, according to the press release published in the official Twitter account of the vaccine.
- India scales several unprecedented peaks India PIB 11 Nov 2020 -- India has crossed several landmark milestones in its collective fight against the global pandemic. The active caseload of India has fallen under the 5 lakh mark for the first time after 106 days. Today, the total burden of active cases is pegged at 4,94,657. It was 4,96,988 on 28th July. With this, the Active Caseload stands at 5.73% of the total positive cases.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan reviews COVID situation and public health measures with Chief Ministers, Health Ministers and senior State officials of 7 States India PIB 11 Nov 2020 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare today interacted with Chief Ministers, State Health Ministers and Principal Secretaries/ Additional Chief Secretaries of 7 States though video conferencing. These States included Maharashtra, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura Meghalaya and Goa.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan showcases India's fight against COVID to his BRICS Counterparts India PIB 11 Nov 2020 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare digitally attended the BRICS Health Ministers Conference, here today through Video Conference.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 462 more in Iran, a record since its outbreak IRNA 11 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Wednesday that some 462 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Iranian Activist Sotoudeh Contracts Coronavirus, Husband Says, Amid 'Catastrophic' Prison Conditions RFE/RL 11 Nov 2020 -- Nasrin Sotoudeh, an Iranian human rights lawyer who was temporarily released from prison last week, has tested positive for the coronavirus, her husband has said.
- Health Ministry: 394 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 11 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 394 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 351,849 cases, including 7,557 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 786 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Taiwan-Australia 'travel bubble' possible: Australian envoy CNA 11 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan is one of the nations with which Australia is considering setting up a "travel bubble," Australian representative to Taipei Gary Cowan said Wednesday, reaffirming his government's plan to open the national borders to countries in Asia that are deemed as low risk for COVID-19.
- CECC recruiting 20,000 volunteers for COVID-19 vaccine trials CNA 11 Nov 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday announced that it is recruiting at least 20,000 volunteers to participate in clinical trials of locally developed COVID-19 vaccines.
- Taiwan reports four new imported cases of COVID-19 CNA 11 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan on Wednesday confirmed four new imported cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 584 since the pandemic began, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan approves first 'economic bubble' visit CNA 11 Nov 2020 -- Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) confirmed Wednesday that the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) has given the green light to an "economic bubble" visit, the first of its kind in Taiwan since the COVID-19 pandemic started.
- South Korea removed from COVID-19 'low-to-moderate' risk list CNA 11 Nov 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday removed South Korea from its list of countries from which business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods upon arrival in Taiwan, citing a recent surge in local cases there.
- Strict Measures Taken to Maintain Perfect Anti-epidemic State in DPRK KCNA 11 Nov 2020 -- The anti-epidemic work is being intensified across the country to maintain the perfect anti-epidemic state and protect the security of the state and the lives of the people from COVID-19.
- Coronavirus response: NATO Allies deploy military medics to the Czech Republic NATO 11 Nov 2020 -- The United Kingdom has deployed medics from the Royal Army Medical Corps to the Czech Republic, in support of efforts to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic. The deployment follows a request for assistance by the Czech Republic to NATO's Euro Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC).
- Brazil resumes trials of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- Brazil on Wednesday resumed the trials of a Chinese COVID-19 vaccine after halting them on Monday over a mysterious death. The reported "severe adverse event" was later said to be not related to the vaccine but likely a suicide.
- Brazilian researchers call for resumption of Chinese vaccine trials after police confirm death case a suicide Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- The death of a volunteer participating in tests of the Chinese-produced Coronavac vaccine was caused by suicide, local media reported, quoting a local police report on Tuesday.
- In Canada's 'Atlantic Bubble,' COVID Is a Distant Reality VOA 11 Nov 2020 -- A quiet cafe patio hums with conversation on an exceptionally warm day in an otherwise cold November. Two men stand to go to the take-out window to order another coffee and they put on their masks â€” not because there is any real likelihood of contracting COVID-19 but in order to show politeness to the barista at the take-out window.
- Trudeau urges local gov'ts to do right thing to stem COVID-19 spread Global Times 11 Nov 2020 -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called on local governments Tuesday to do the right thing to stem record-breaking spikes of new COVID-19 cases across the country.
- UNHCR aids 50,000 Afghan refugee families affected by COVID-19 in Pakistan People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has provided emergency cash assistance to over 50,000 Afghan refugee families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in Pakistan, the refugee agency said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Philippines' COVID-19 cases pass 400,000-mark as economy reopens People's Daily 11 Nov 2020 -- The Philippines' Department of Health (DOH) Wednesday reported 1,672 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the country's total tally to 401,416.
- Over 120 Palestinian inmates infected with coronavirus inside Israeli jails: Rights group Press TV 11 Nov 2020 -- A Palestinian human rights group says more than a hundred Palestinian prisoners have contracted coronavirus inside Israeli-run detention centers across the occupied territories, expressing grave concern over the health condition of the inmates.
- Turkmenistan Toughens Face Mask Regime But Still Claims No Coronavirus RFE/RL 11 Nov 2020 -- Authorities in Turkmenistan, where no coronavirus cases have been officially reported, have tightened controls over mandatory mask wearing, carrying out raids in organizations, companies, and schools, and imposing fines on individuals who don't wear face coverings.
- Mexico Reports 5,746 New Coronavirus Cases, 617 New Deaths SPA 11 Nov 2020 -- Mexico's health ministry on Tuesday reported 5,746 more coronavirus cases and 617 more deaths, bringing the official toll to 978,531 cases and 95,842 deaths, Reuters reported.
- Argentina's President Alberto Fernandez in Isolation After Encountering a COVID-19 Patient Sputnik 11 Nov 2020 -- The president, whose coronavirus test came back negative, nonetheless went into preventive isolation after Secretary for Strategic Affairs Gustavo Beliz tested positive for the disease.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|