02 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- MAFFS tackle largest wildfires in California history US Air Force 02 Nov 2020 -- The ground shakes and you feel the vibration of four propeller engines approaching.
- Mississippi National Guard supports Hurricane Zeta recovery Army News 02 Nov 2020 -- The Mississippi National Guard (MSNG) is supporting state and local emergency management authorities assisting people along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Zeta.
- At Least One Killed, 15 Injured in Vienna Terror Attack VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- Gunmen have opened fire at six locations in Austria's capital, Vienna, killing at least one person and injuring 15 others in what Chancellor Sebastian Kurz described as a "repulsive terrorist attack."
- Russian Cybercriminal Sentenced to Prison for Role in $100 Million Botnet Conspiracy US Dept. of Justice 02 Nov 2020 -- A Russian national was sentenced Oct. 30 to eight years in prison for his role in operating a sophisticated scheme to steal and traffic sensitive personal and financial information in the online criminal underground that resulted in an estimated loss of over $100 million.
- Six Detentions Made Over 'Attempted Terrorist Act' In Tatarstan RFE/RL 02 Nov 2020 -- Russian authorities say they have detained six people over what officials described as an attempted terrorist attack against a police station in the Republic of Tatarstan last week.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- 'If we invest in health systems, we can bring this virus under control' - WHO chief UN News 02 Nov 2020 -- Health systems and global preparedness are not only an investment in the future but "the foundation of our response" to today's COVID-19 health crisis, the head of the UN's health agency said on Monday.
"Public health is more than medicine and science and it is bigger than any individual and there is hope that if we invest in health systems.we can bring this virus under control and go forward together to tackle other challenges of our times", UN World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told journalists in a regular press briefing.
- World Surpasses 1.2 Million COVID-19 Confirmed Fatalities VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus pandemic has surpassed 1.2 million people, according to data collected by the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center.
- Global COVID-19 deaths surpass 1.2 million -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Global COVID-19 deaths surpassed 1.2 million on Monday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 46.37 Million, Death Toll at 1,198,168 SPA 02 Nov 2020 -- More than 46.37 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,198,168 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Weekly Update: DHS Response to COVID-19 DHS 02 Nov 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 02 Nov 2020
- 18 more U.S. soldiers, civilians in S. Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Thirteen more U.S. soldiers and five other individuals in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) has said.
- New York State leaders jab U.S. federal COVID-19 vaccination plan People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Four state and community leaders on Sunday called attention to the shortcomings in the federal government's current COVID-19 vaccination plan for failing to adequately serve communities of color.
- Trump Rallies Linked to Over 30,000 COVID-19 Infections, 700 Deaths - Study Sputnik 02 Nov 2020 -- A new study by Stanford University economists has found that US President Donald Trump's campaign rallies between June and September may have caused around 30,000 COVID-19 infections and more than 700 deaths.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 02 Nov 2020
- An asymptomatic man who passed five coronavirus tests in August tests positive again Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- A man who was diagnosed an asymptomatic carrier of the coronavirus in July and then given a clean bill of health after five negative tests for the virus has again tested positive in Weihui, Central China's Henan Province, forcing dozens of his close contacts into quarantine, said the city's health commission.
- Kashi begins 3rd round of mass nucleic acid tests 'to track infections' Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Kashi in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region began its third round of mass nucleic acid testing on Monday, after Xinjiang reported 61 new silent virus carriers on Saturday alone. This comes after it finished the second round of testing in key villages, which sparked public concern over whether the initial clustered outbreak linked to a local clothing factory had spread in the region.
- China's COVID-19 fight offers lesson for foreigners Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Fighting the novel coronavirus epidemic has become a process in which some foreigners see China from a fresh perspective, especially when their homelands are struggling in dealing with a second wave. In Shanghai, the use of big data is one of the secret weapons to win this battle.
- China calls for emergency stockpiles, lesson learned from fighting virus: experts Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- China is mobilizing families to build up stockpiles of emergency supplies this winter ahead of a possible new COVID-19 epidemic engulfing the country, a lesson learned from previous outbreaks. However, military experts shrugged off rumors that said this was a preparation for war.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Three new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland Sunday, all in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- One more Chinese COVID-19 vaccine ready for phase-3 clinical trials People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- A COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by the Institute of Microbiology under the Chinese Academy of Sciences has shown to be safe in early-stage trials, suggesting potential for further clinical tests.
- China Changes Virus Testing Rules, Leaving Its Nationals Out in The Cold Radio Free Asia 02 Nov 2020 -- A sudden change to COVID-19 travel requirements for people arriving in China has left large numbers of the country's own nationals stranded internationally, or forced to cancel travel plans at the last minute, RFA has learned.
- Countries in Europe reimpose lockdowns as COVID-19 cases surge unabated People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Europe is seeing a drastic resurgence of COVID-19 cases, forcing countries to reimpose restrictions in a bid to curb further spread of the virus.
- Londoners urged to unite as England enters second COVID-19 lockdown People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- London mayor Sadiq Khan has made an impassioned plea to Londoners to unite at a time of "crisis" as England prepares to enter a second national lockdown to quell the resurgence of coronavirus.
- Month-long England lockdown could be extended: senior official People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- British Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove on Sunday admitted the month-long lockdown, which will be imposed in England on Thursday, could be extended if rates of infection do not fall sufficiently.
- Britain Locks Down as Europe Becomes Pandemic Epicenter VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is defending plans to impose a nationwide lockdown beginning Thursday, warning that a failure to act could cause up to twice as many deaths this winter as during the first wave in the spring.
- Scotland's First Minister Considers Widespread Lockdown as COVID-19 Surges VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon Monday she would not rule out shutting down all or part of the country to address a recent surge in new COVID-19 cases.
- Merkel Defends Latest Coronavirus Restrictions as Cases Surge in Germany VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says new coronavirus restrictions that took effect Monday were implemented because the country has seen "exponential growth" in cases in recent weeks, and officials are facing an acute emergency in the nation's hospitals.
- France's daily COVID-19 count surges again to 46,2907 People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- France on Sunday recorded 46,290 new coronavirus cases in a 24-hour span, raising the country's total infections to 1.41 million since the beginning of the pandemic, data from the country's health authority showed.
- France's daily COVID-19 count surges again to 46,290 Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- France on Sunday recorded 46,290 new coronavirus cases in a 24-hour span, raising the country's total infections to 1.41 million since the beginning of the pandemic, data from the country's health authority showed.
- France's confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 46,290 SPA 02 Nov 2020 -- New confirmed coronavirus cases rose by 46,290 in France in the past 24 hours, official data showed on Sunday, while the number of people needing treatment in intensive care also crept up, according to Reuters.
- Partial closedown in Greece due to COVID-19 second wave, reports SPA 02 Nov 2020 -- Seven persons have died from coronavirus (COVID-19) in Greece over the past 24 hours as the country's health authorities have reported 1152 new cases.
- India's COVID-19 tally reaches 8,229,313 Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally reached 8,229,313 on Monday as 45,231 new cases were detected across the country in the past 24 hours, said latest data released by the federal health ministry.
- India maintains top Global Ranking with Maximum Recoveries of more than 75 lakhs India PIB 02 Nov 2020 -- India continues to occupy the top global position as the country with the maximum number of recoveries. The total recoveries have crossed 75 lakhs today (7,544,798).
- Union Home Secretary reviewed the COVID-19 situation in NCT of Delhi India PIB 02 Nov 2020 -- Union Home Secretary, Shri Ajay Bhalla, as part of a regular process, reviewed the situation of COVID-19 in Delhi today. The meeting was also attended by Dr. V.K. Paul, Member, NITI Aayog, Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Director General, ICMR, Chief Secretary and other senior officers Government of NCT of Delhi (GNCTD) and Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
- Iran's daily COVID-19 death toll hits record high as Lebanon, Gaza call for total lockdown Global Times 02 Nov 2020 -- Iran reported on Sunday a record of 434 daily deaths related to the COVID-19, bringing the overall death toll from the pandemic in Iran to 35,298. Meanwhile, health officials from Lebanon and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip called for total lockdown measures to curb the pandemic.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 440 more in Iran, a record since its outbreak IRNA 02 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday that some 440 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 35,738.
- Health Ministry: 381 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 436 New Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 02 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 381 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 348,037, including 7,928 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Five foreign nationals test positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan CNA 02 Nov 2020 -- Five foreign nationals from India, Indonesia and the Philippines, who came to Taiwan for work, have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the number of cases in Taiwan to 563, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.
- Asia-Pacific sees rises in COVID-19 cases, South Korea launches new social-distancing scheme to prepare for pandemic prolongation People's Daily 02 Nov 2020 -- Asia-Pacific countries continued to see rises in COVID-19 cases Sunday, with South Korea launching new five-tier social-distancing regulations to prepare for the prolongation of the pandemic.
- Indonesia reports 2,618 new coronavirus cases, 101 deaths SPA 02 Nov 2020 -- Indonesia reported 2,618 new coronavirus cases on Monday, bringing the total number of infections to 415,402, data from the country's COVID-19 task force showed. This is the lowest daily rise of coronavirus cases since August 26, according to Reuters.
- Brazil Reports 10,100 New Coronavirus Cases, 190 Deaths SPA 02 Nov 2020 -- Brazil recorded 10,100 additional confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, and 190 deaths from COVID-19, the Brazilian health ministry said on Sunday.
- Argentina to Receive 25Mln Doses of Sputnik V Vaccine From Russia, President Says Sputnik 02 Nov 2020 -- Argentina will receive 25 million doses of Russian vaccine against coronavirus Sputnik V in December and January, President Alberto Fernandez said in an interview with Sputnik.
- Kenyan Union Says COVID-19 in Schools Putting Teachers at Risk VOA 02 Nov 2020 -- A Kenyan teachers union is calling on the government to give guidance to older teachers and those suffering from chronic diseases after 35 teachers and 17 students tested positive for COVID-19 in the past week and two teachers died. The call comes a day after Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta hinted he might re-introduce restrictions after a jump in confirmed daily infections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|