24 October 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Iran reiterates neutrality in US elections after Biden warns of foreign interference Press TV 24 Oct 2020 -- Iran has declared neutrality in the upcoming US presidential elections after Democratic candidate Joe Biden threatened to punish any country that interferes in the vote.
- FATF bows to US pressure, agrees to toughen rules on Iran Press TV 24 Oct 2020 -- The Financial Action Task Force (FATF), a global anti-money laundering watchdog, has agreed to a demand by the United Sates to toughen rules and regulations vis-à-vis Iran because the country has been evading sanctions imposed by Washington.
- U.S. Welcomes Estonia's Action Against Hizballah US Dept. of State 24 Oct 2020
- U.S. Welcomes Guatemala's Designation of Hizballah as a Terrorist Organization US Dept. of State 24 Oct 2020
- US Mission in Turkey Warns Americans of Possible Terrorist Attacks VOA 24 Oct 2020 -- U.S. officials in Turkey have warned Americans in the country of possible terror attacks in Istanbul and other areas within the country.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 42.28 million, death toll at 1,144,689 SPA 24 Oct 2020 -- More than 42.28 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,144,689â€‹ have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Military to Play Logistics-Only Role in COVID-19 Vaccine Effort DoD News 24 Oct 2020 -- U.S. military personnel won't be administering any COVID-19 vaccines to the American people once the vaccines are approved for use. But the U.S. military will lend it's experienced hand in logistics to ensure the vaccine is available across the nation, said Paul Mango, the deputy chief of staff for policy at the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Biden pledges free COVID-19 vaccines for all if elected People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- "Once we have a safe and effective vaccine, it has to be free to everyone - whether or not you're insured," said Biden.
- Global pandemic likely to peak after two weeks; US may see 90,000 daily cases: Chinese researcher Global Times 24 Oct 2020 -- A Chinese researcher predicted that the cases of the global COVID-19 pandemic is likely to peak after two weeks, a trend in line with that in Europe, echoing the World Health Organization (WHO) chief who said the next few months are going to be very "tough" and some countries are on "a dangerous track."
- Trump promises COVID-19 will end soon as US breaks daily record of infections Press TV 24 Oct 2020 -- President Donald Trump has promised his supporters that the COVID-19 pandemic will end soon as the United States reported more than 80,000 new coronavirus infections-- the highest daily tally since the pandemic began.
- US Sets New Daily Record for Coronavirus Infections VOA 24 Oct 2020 -- The United States has set a daily record for coronavirus cases as a new surge of the virus raises fears for a further increase during the cold fall and winter months.
- Where Trump, Biden Differ on COVID as Cases Resurge VOA 24 Oct 2020 -- As the United States saw its highest number of new coronavirus cases reported in a single day, former Vice President Joe Biden announced that if he defeats President Donald Trump in next month's election, he will push for a nationwide mask mandate.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 24 Oct 2020
- Kashi in Xinjiang reports one asymptomatic COVID-19 case Global Times 24 Oct 2020 -- Shufu county of Kashi Prefecture in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region reported one asymptomatic COVID-19 case Saturday night, who was found during a routine testing, the local Center for Disease Control and Prevention said.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Friday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Beijing reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- Two new imported cases of COVID-19 were reported in Beijing Friday, the municipal health commission said Saturday.
- France Reports Record of over 45,000 New Coronavirus Cases in A Day SPA 24 Oct 2020 -- France today, on Saturday reported 45,422 new confirmed coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, a new record, after reporting 42,032 yesterday, according to Reuters.
- Merkel: COVID-19 Spreads in Germany Faster Than in Early 2020, Hard Months Ahead Sputnik 24 Oct 2020 -- The COVID-19 infections in Germany are spreading more rapidly than at the beginning of the year, which indicates that the country is yet to face its most difficult months, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Saturday during her regular television address to the nation.
- India continues to maintain Active Cases below 7 lakh for the Second Day India PIB 24 Oct 2020 -- India continues to report a trend of steadily declining active cases. The active cases are less than 7 lakh for the second consecutive day and stand at 6,80,680.
- India's COVID-19 tally reaches 7,814,682, death toll 117,956 People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally reached 7,814,682 as 53,370 more cases were registered during the past 24 hours, said the latest data released by the federal health ministry on Saturday.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Says Fighting Coronavirus 'Main Priority' RFE/RL 24 Oct 2020 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has urged the authorities to prioritize public health above any economic or security concerns as the Middle East's hardest-hit country battles a third wave of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Rouhani: Only way to deal with COVID-19 observing health protocols IRNA 24 Oct 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that "there is no other way to deal with the coronavirus than to comply with the health and prevention protocols".
- Official: COVID-19 kills 335 more in Iran IRNA 24 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday that some 335 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Leader urges new moves to contain COVID19 IRNA 24 Oct 2020 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Saturday called on the government officials to take new initiatives to slow down the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- Iranian gov't imposes serious restrictions in cities with critical COVID19 situation IRNA 24 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said serious limitations will be imposed in 43 cities with critical COVID19 situation as of Monday, adding that restrictions will be extended another week if necessary.
- South Korea Reports 77 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 24 Oct 2020 -- South Korea's new coronavirus cases returned to below 100 on Saturday after triple-digit infections were reported for the past two days, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- Health Ministry: 395 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 417 New Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 24 Oct 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 395 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 344,552, including 8,276 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan records two new imported case of COVID-19 CNA 24 Oct 2020 -- Taiwan confirmed two new imported cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, bringing the total number in the country to 550 since the outbreak began at the end of last year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said.
- 'Travel bubble' plan with Palau postponed: CECC CNA 24 Oct 2020 -- A plan to create a travel bubble between Taiwan and Palau has been postponed because of the Pacific ally's decision to not relax quarantine rules for Taiwanese travelers, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Saturday.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Work Intensified in Public Service Facilities KCNA 24 Oct 2020 -- The officials and employees of the public service facilities across the country are further ratcheting up the emergency anti-epidemic work.
- Complex process ahead of exporting China-developed COVID-19 vaccines to Brazil Global Times 24 Oct 2020 -- An employee from Chinese vaccine producer Sinovac says the company is to follow the requirements of authorities after Brazilian medicine department approved the import of 6 million Chinese-developed COVID-19 vaccines, despite twists and turns in the country's decision about the purchase.
- Sri Lanka's total COVID-19 patients surpass 7,000 People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 patients in Sri Lanka reached 7,153 on Saturday as the country recorded 865 patients on Friday, the highest number recorded in a single day, the government's information department said.
- Colombian vice president tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- The Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Colombia reported 990,270 cases of COVID-19 on Thursday night, with 29,636 deaths.
- Mexico Reports 6,604 New Coronavirus Cases, 418 More Deaths SPA 24 Oct 2020 -- Mexico reported today 6,604 additional cases of the novel coronavirus and 418 more deaths in the country, bringing the official number of cases to 880,775 and the death toll to 88,312, Reuters cited the Mexican health ministry as saying.
- Uganda Cuts Cost of COVID Test From $65 to $50 VOA 24 Oct 2020 -- Uganda has reduced the cost of a COVID-19 test from $65 to $50, a move welcomed by truck drivers in the East African region. Business had been brought to a standstill at the border between Kenya and Uganda, with trucks backed up over 60 kilometers due to the high cost of COVID-19 testing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|