21 October 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- FBI Director Christopher Wray's Remarks at Press Conference on Election Security FBI 21 Oct 2020 -- FBI Director Christopher Wray delivered the following remarks during a press conference on election security at FBI Headquarters with Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe. (Remarks as delivered)
- US Began Removing Sudan From Sponsors of Terror List, Pompeo Says Sputnik 21 Oct 2020 -- The US administration has begun the process of removing Sudan from the State Sponsors of Terrorism list and expects bipartisan support for it, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters on Wednesday.
- NSA alleging China involved cyber theft is an irony in the extreme: FM spokesperson Global Times 21 Oct 2020 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday that it is indeed ironic that the US National Security Agency (NSA), as the main implementer of the PRISM program and the world's largest cyber espionage agency, publicly accuses other countries of cyber espionage.
- United States Seizes More Domain Names Used by Foreign Terrorist Organization US Dept. of Justice 21 Oct 2020 -- The United States has seized "Aletejahtv.com" and "kataibhezbollah.com," two websites that were unlawfully utilized by Kata'ib Hizballah, a Specially Designated National and a Foreign Terrorist Organization.
- Kremlin slams Western accusations of cyber attacks Global Times 21 Oct 2020 -- Western attempts to blame the Russian special services for cyber attacks are rooted in "frenzied Russophobia," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Tuesday.
- France Will Not Renounce Caricatures, Will Defend Freedom After Teacher Murder, Macron Says Sputnik 21 Oct 2020 -- France will never renounce caricatures and will further defend freedom, President Emmanuel Macron said on Wednesday during a commemoration ceremony for the French history teacher, Samuel Paty, murdered after showing caricatures depicting Islamic Prophet Muhammad to his students.
- France Pays Homage to Slain Teacher Even as Some Question Secular Creed VOA 21 Oct 2020 -- French President Emmanuel Macron paid a soaring tribute to slain history teacher Samuel Paty during a national commemoration Wednesday at Paris' Sorbonne University, describing him as incarnating values of tolerance and learning, and describing in bleak terms the threat of radical Islam.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 40.62 Million, Death Toll at 1,120,183 SPA 21 Oct 2020 -- More than 40.62 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,120,183 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Common Cold Could Protect Against COVID-19, Research Shows VOA 21 Oct 2020 -- Having a cold might protect sufferers from a severe case of COVID-19, new research shows.
- PHCE passes 60K mark of processed COVID-19 samples Army News 21 Oct 2020 -- As much of Europe is in the midst of a second wave of COVID-19, asymptomatic testing of individuals plays a key role in reducing the spread of the virus.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Details COVID-19 Micro-cluster Metrics New York State 21 Oct 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo: 'We Have a Serious Problem of the Emotional Stress and Anxiety That COVID Has Caused' New York State 21 Oct 2020
- U.S. CDC says country has witnessed 300,000 more deaths than usual: report People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the United States has witnessed 300,000 more deaths than usual, according to a new government report.
- CDC Says Impact of Pandemic on US Mortality Underestimated VOA 21 Oct 2020 -- A new study released Tuesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says nearly 300,000 more people in the United States died between late January and early October - two thirds of them due to the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 21 Oct 2020
- Chinese vaccines in sight, providing promising solution to conquer COVID-19 Global Times 21 Oct 2020 -- A Chinese COVID-19 vaccine has been proven safe according to results from the latest phase III clinical trial in Brazil, reflecting the increased efforts China is making to advance vaccine development to make them available to the public as soon as possible.
- COVID-19 vaccine development unaffected by mutation: Chinese official Global Times 21 Oct 2020 -- Studies have shown that the development of COVID-19 vaccines has not been affected by how the virus has mutated, a Chinese official said Tuesday.
- China's COVID-19 vaccine capacity to reach 610 million Global Times 21 Oct 2020 -- China's total annual production capacity of COVID-19 vaccines will likely reach 610 million doses by the end of the year, a Chinese official said on Tuesday.
- 60,000 volunteers receive Chinese COVID-19 vaccines in phase-3 trials People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- A total of about 60,000 volunteers have been given Chinese COVID-19 vaccines as part of phase-3 clinical trials, with no severe side-effects reported, a Chinese official said on Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported across the Chinese mainland on Tuesday, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Tuesday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Qingdao to conduct COVID-19 testing on cold-chain products People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- The eastern Chinese city of Qingdao will conduct nucleic acid testing on all imported cold-chain products to enhance the prevention and control of COVID-19, local authorities said on Tuesday.
- British PM, Opposition Debate Pandemic Response VOA 21 Oct 2020 -- British Prime Boris Johnson pushed back again Wednesday on opposition efforts to implement a two-week "circuit-breaker" nationwide lockdown to stem the spread of coronavirus cases in the country.
- UK Reports Record Daily Total of 26,688 COVID-19 Cases SPA 21 Oct 2020 -- A total of 26,688 coronavirus cases were reported in Britain today, on Wednesday, the highest daily total to date, and a further 191 deaths within 28 days of a positive test, Reuters cited government data as showing.
- UK set to deliberately infect volunteers with coronavirus in world's first "human challenge" study Global Times 21 Oct 2020 -- Imperial College London on Tuesday announced that a team of researchers in Britain is set to explore a human challenge study with the virus that causes COVID-19, which is "the first such study anywhere in the world".
- UK records highest daily COVID death toll in over four months People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- The coronavirus-related deaths in Britain rose by 241 to 43,967, the highest daily death toll since June, according to official figures released Tuesday.
- UK PM confirms Greater Manchester to move to highest coronavirus restriction level People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday said that Greater Manchester will move into Tier Three, the highest level of COVID-19 restrictions, from midnight on Thursday.
- London imposes Covid-19 deal on Greater Manchester region Press TV 21 Oct 2020 -- Following days of bitter wrangling Manchester's local leaders appear to have succumbed to extreme pressure from London to acquiesce to a financial deal designed to mitigate the economic impact of new coronavirus restrictions.
- France reports 20,468 new COVID-19 cases, 262 deaths People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- A total of 20,468 new COVID-19 cases were registered in the past 24 hours in France, while the epidemic-related fatalities rose sharply by 262, health authorities said on Tuesday.
- Europeans urged to take responsibility, make sacrifice to overcome virus People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- Leaders and experts in Europe are calling on citizens to take responsibility and make sacrifice so as to help contain a record increase of new coronavirus cases in many European countries.
- Spain considering curfews to tackle new wave of coronavirus People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- The Spanish government is mulling new restrictions including curfews to contain a new wave of COVID-19 infections, Health Minister Salvador Illa said Tuesday.
- Putin Says Vaccination Against Coronavirus Must Be Rolled Out Across Russia Sputnik 21 Oct 2020 -- It is necessary to roll out vaccination against the coronavirus across the country, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
- 'Crisis Of Trust': Russia's Pandemic Fatigue Combines With Wariness Of Expert Advice RFE/RL 21 Oct 2020 -- On a recent evening at Depo Food Mall, a converted tram depot serving cuisines from around the world, visitors packed the aisles and dined at crowded tables outside the nearly 200 food stalls that fill the vast complex. You had to strain to spot a mask.
- India sustains the continued trend of consistent decline in Active Cases India PIB 21 Oct 2020 -- India has sustained its trend of maintaining the active cases below the 7.5 lakh mark for the 2nd successive day.
- India's COVID-19 tally reaches 7,651,107, death toll rises to 115,914 People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally reached 7,651,107 as 54,044 new cases were registered during the past 24 hours, according to the data released by the federal health ministry on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 kills 312 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 21 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Wednesday that some 312 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- South Korea re-designated 'low-to-moderate' COVID-19 risk CNA 21 Oct 2020 -- Business travelers from South Korea will once again be able to enjoy shortened quarantine periods after arriving in Taiwan, as the country has been returned to Taiwan's "low-to-moderate" risk list for COVID-19.
- Ministry of Health: 405 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 21 Oct 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 405 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 343,373 cases, including 8,423 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 804 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Indonesian student tests positive for COVID-19 CNA 21 Oct 2020 -- An Indonesian student who recently arrived in Taiwan has tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in Taiwan to 544, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Three Taiwanese test positive for COVID-19 in Japan CNA 21 Oct 2020 -- Three Taiwanese nationals, including two infants, have tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in Japan, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced Wednesday.
- Hospitals lack beds, ventilators for COVID-19 patients as cases surge in Nepal People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- Kathmandu-based hospitals have been facing shortages of medical facilities and workers, as confirmed COVID-19 cases are surging in Nepal.
- Africa's confirmed COVID-19 cases pass 1.65 mln with nearly 40,000 deaths People's Daily 21 Oct 2020 -- The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the African continent has reached 1,654,412 as of Tuesday, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said.
- Senegal reports 27 new COVID-19 cases SPA 21 Oct 2020 -- Senegal reported today 27 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|