12 October 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Epidemiological Update WHO 12 Oct 2020
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 37.35 Million, Death Toll at 1,073,862 SPA 12 Oct 2020 -- More than 37.35 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,073,862 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Herd immunity, an 'unethical' COVID-19 strategy, Tedros warns policymakers UN News 12 Oct 2020 -- Using the principle of so-called "herd immunity" to stem the COVID-19 pandemic is "unethical" and "not an option" countries should pursue to defeat the virus, the UN health agency chief warned on Monday.
- WHO Chief: Pursuing Herd Immunity Through Coronavirus Exposure 'Unethical' VOA 12 Oct 2020 -- The head of the World Health Organization is warning against a strategy of pursuing herd immunity to stop the coronavirus pandemic, calling the idea unethical.
- Greater cooperation urged worldwide as criminals seek to profit from COVID-19 UN News 12 Oct 2020 -- With criminal networks looking to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, it is critical for governments to work together in line with a landmark UN treaty to combat human trafficking, gun smuggling and other cross-border crimes, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Monday.
- Virus That Causes COVID-19 Can Survive for Up to a Month on Common Surfaces, Study Finds VOA 12 Oct 2020 -- Scientists in Australia have discovered that the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can survive on solid common surfaces for as long as 28 days.
- Novel coronavirus survives 28 days on glass, currency: Australian research Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- The virus that causes COVID-19 can survive on banknotes, glass and stainless steel for up to 28 days, much longer than the flu virus, Australian researchers said on Monday, highlighting the need for cleaning and handwashing to combat the virus.
- Scientists voice concern, criticism as coronavirus resurges in multiple countries People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- The latest infections across the world indicate that a resurgence of the coronavirus is likely occurring, which poses great challenges to global health and urges a more efficient response from countries.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 12 Oct 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 12 Oct 2020
- China's Qingdao Orders Mass Testing After New Cluster of COVID-19 Cases Radio Free Asia 12 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in the eastern Chinese city of Qingdao have ordered coronavirus testing for all of the city's nine million residents after a fresh cluster of confirmed COVID-19 cases following the National Day Golden Week holidays.
- East China's Qingdao to test 9 million residents over five days after 12 COVID-19 cases found Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- East China's Qingdao in Shandong Province has launched a citywide nucleic acid test campaign that will cover its 9 million residents over the next five days after the coastal city reported six confirmed COVID-19 and six asymptomatic patients on Sunday alone, all connected to one local hospital.
- East China's Qingdao conducts city-wide COVID-19 testing after new cases emerge People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- The city of Qingdao in east China's Shandong Province has activated a plan to conduct a city-wide nucleic acid testing for COVID-19 after new cases were reported.
- 'Low risk of infection' despite Qingdao receiving 4m passenger trips Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- The city of Qingdao in East China's Shandong Province, where 12 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in a latest outbreak, announced that it received over 4.47 million passenger trips during the National Day holidays in early October, prompting concerns of epidemic spread, but locals and experts assured the public that the risk of wider spread of infections is low.
- Global pandemic's 2nd wave 'likely to peak in December' Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- As many parts of the world face a rebound in COVID-19 cases, with almost all European countries tightening their anti-epidemic measures and local media claiming the second wave of the pandemic has begun, Chinese medical experts predicted that the latest wave is likely to peak in December and January 2021, but will be less worrisome than the first wave.
- Reservations being taken for COVID-19 vaccine in Beijing, Wuhan: media reports Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- State-owned China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) has launched an online reservation system for people seeking the company's COVID-19 vaccine in Beijing and Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, media reported on Monday.
- China's basic medical insurance funds cannot afford nationwide free COVID-19 vaccination: healthcare authority Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- In a reply to a National People's Congress deputy's proposal that would see the country's medical insurance cover the cost of COVID-19 vaccinations, China's Healthcare Security Administration said on Friday that the basic medical insurance funds can't afford to provide no-charge inoculations for everyone and discussions will be held with related authorities over the cost of COVID-19 vaccines.
- Working group sent to east China city for COVID-19 control People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- China's National Health Commission on Monday sent a working group to Qingdao City in east China's Shandong Province to guide COVID-19 epidemic control.
- China's decision to join COVAX will strengthen global vaccine cooperation People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- China has announced that it will join COVAX, an international initiative aimed at ensuring equitable global access to COVID-19 vaccines, becoming the largest economy to support the initiative so far. This is an important step for China, as it honors its commitment to turning COVID-19 vaccines into a global public good.
- Nightingale hospitals placed on 'standby' to deal with coronavirus second wave Press TV 12 Oct 2020 -- As Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, prepares to set out the new coronavirus restrictions in England, some of the country's specialized Covid-specific field hospitals have been placed on high alert.
- France Says Further Restrictions Possible If Coronavirus Surge Continues VOA 12 Oct 2020 -- French Prime Minister Jean Castex warned Monday that France could impose further restrictions â€” including a lockdown â€” as the coronavirus is spreading rapidly, and the situation in hospitals is deteriorating there.
- Austria's Tyrol COVID-19 Commission Faults Resort Town for Ignoring Warnings VOA 12 Oct 2020 -- An independent commission reported Monday that authorities in the Austrian Alpine region of Tyrol acted too slowly to shut down ski resorts in March after they were warned about COVID-19, particularly in the resort town of Ischgl, the scene of what was one of the earliest outbreaks in Europe.
- India ramps up COVID-19 tests as total tally surpasses 7 million Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- India on Sunday became the second country globally, after the United States, to have over 7 million COVID-19 cases.
- India sustains trend of steadily declining Active Cases India PIB 12 Oct 2020 -- India continues to report a trend of steadily decreasing active cases. For the fourth day after the active cases dropped below the 9L mark after a month, the decline continues unabated.
- Vice President tests negative for COVID-19, expected to resume normal activities soon India PIB 12 Oct 2020 -- The Vice President, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu has tested negative for COVID-19 today. He has been under home-quarantine after he was diagnosed with COVID-19 on 29th September, 2020.
- Minister: Iran-made COVID-19 vaccine tests on human to begin soon IRNA 12 Oct 2020 -- Iranian Minister of Health, Treatment and Medical Education Saeed Namaki said on Monday that the domestically-produced coronavirus vaccine will be tested on the humans in the coming weeks.
- Another single day record of COVID-19 death toll in Iran IRNA 12 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday that another 272 Iranians have succumbed to the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 509 New Recoveries, 348 Cases Detected, in Several Regions SPA 12 Oct 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 348 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 339,615, including 8,708 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Two new imported COVID-19 cases reported in Taiwan CNA 12 Oct 2020 -- Taiwan confirmed two new imported cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number in the country to 529 since the outbreak began at the end of last year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said.
- Indonesia reports 4,497 new COVID-19 cases, 79 new deaths SPA 12 Oct 2020 -- Indonesia reported 4,497 new coronavirus infections and 79 new deaths on Sunday, the lowest daily fatality count since Sept. 27, data from the country's Health Ministry website showed, Reuters reported.
- Morocco reports 2563 new cases of Coronavirus SPA 12 Oct 2020 -- Morocco recorded 2563 new cases of Coronavirus (Covid 19) during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 152,404.
- UAE Health Ministry Okays Phase 3 Clinical Trials of Sputnik V Vaccine in Country, RDIF Says Sputnik 12 Oct 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates approved phase III clinical trials of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said Monday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|