06 October 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Department of Homeland Security Releases Homeland Threat Assessment DHS 06 Oct 2020 -- Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad F. Wolf released the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Homeland Threat Assessment (HTA). This first-of-its-kind report synthesizes threat information across DHS including intelligence and operational components.
- US Homeland Security Says Russia, China Pose Major Threats to US Security Sputnik 06 Oct 2020 -- The United States considers Russia, China and White supremacists among major threats to its national security, the Department of Homeland Security said in a new report published on Tuesday.
- Foreign Adversaries Ramping Up Attacks on US Presidential Election VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- Top U.S. intelligence and security officials say the country's adversaries are intensifying their efforts to meddle with the country's upcoming presidential election, indicating the threat may be changing with less than a month until voters go to the polls.
- German Study: Extremism Not Systemic in Country's Security Forces VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- Germany's Interior Ministry Tuesday released a new report showing that right-wing extremism is not a systemic problem among the nation's security forces.
- Indiana National Guard activates cyber battalion Army News 06 Oct 2020 -- The Indiana National Guard hosted an activation ceremony for the 127th Cyber Protection Battalion Oct. 3 at the Indiana War Memorial.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- More action needed for seafarers, 'collateral victims' of measures to curb COVID-19 UN News 06 Oct 2020 -- Highlighting an "unparalleled crisis" affecting hundreds of thousands of crew members and maritime workers reeling due to the impact of COVID-19, the UN has called on the business sector and others involved in the shipping industry to do more to address the plight of seafarers worlwide.
- Statement by Jonathan Hoffman, Chief Pentagon Spokesman, on the DOD Response to U.S. Coast Guard Statement on Senior Leader COVID-19 Test DoD 06 Oct 2020
- Top US Military Leaders Quarantining After Coronavirus Exposure VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- Top U.S. military leaders, including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley, are self-quarantining after contact with U.S. Coast Guard Vice Commandant Adm. Charles Ray, who has tested positive for coronavirus.
- US Coast Guard Vice Commander Tests Positive for COVID-19 Sputnik 06 Oct 2020 -- US Coast Guard Vice Commander Charles Ray has tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Coast Guard said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 06 Oct 2020
- Trump, Being Treated for COVID-19, Plans to Attend Second Debate With Biden VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump, infected with the coronavirus, declared from the White House on Tuesday that he is planning to show up for his second debate with Democratic Party presidential nominee Joe Biden.
- Back at White House, Trump Urges Americans 'Don't Be Afraid' of COVID-19 VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump urged Americans not to "be afraid" of COVID-19 after he returned to the White House Monday evening after 72 hours of hospitalization for the deadly virus.
- US Health Agency Updates Guidelines on COVID-19 Transmission VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now acknowledging that COVID-19 can spread through small particles in the air over an extended distance and for hours at a time.
- Trump, released from hospital following 3 days of VIP treatment, sets a poor example: experts Global Times 06 Oct 2020 -- US President Donald Trump returned to the White House after undergoing three days of first-class treatment at the Walter Reed military medical center. While experts have noted Trump's eagerness to return to the upcoming presidential election, ignoring safety measures could set a bad example for his supporters and the country still struggling to put novel coronavirus under control.
- US COVID-19 deaths pass 210,000 amid warnings of more virus fatalities Press TV 06 Oct 2020 -- The death toll from the coronavirus pandemic in the United States has surpassed 210,000, with virus cases nearing 7.5 million.
- Trump admin. not contact tracing 'super-spreader' Rose Garden event: Report Press TV 06 Oct 2020 -- The White House has not investigated the super-spreader Rose Garden event that has made attendees contract the coronavirus.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Cluster Action Initiative New York State 06 Oct 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 06 Oct 2020
- Hong Kong extends social distancing restrictions amid new outbreak fears Global Times 06 Oct 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Tuesday extended social distancing restrictions for another week till Oct. 15, while expressing concerns about the probable worsening of local COVID-19 infections.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Oct 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- French new COVID-19 cases remain above 10,000 a day SPA 06 Oct 2020 -- France reported 10,489 new confirmed coronavirus cases on Tuesday, well below a daily high near 17,000 reported on Saturday but remaining above the 10,000 level first seen mid-September, Reuters reported.
- Level-3 COVID-19 response declared for entire Ireland amid rising cases People's Daily 06 Oct 2020 -- Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin announced on Monday night that a stricter Level-3 COVID-19 response will be applied to the entire country for three weeks starting from midnight on Tuesday, up from the current Level 2.
- Russia's new coronavirus cases surge past 11,000 to highest since May 11 SPA 06 Oct 2020 -- Russia's daily tally of new coronavirus cases rose to its highest since May 11 on Monday as authorities reported 11,615 new infections nationwide, including 4,082 in Moscow, Reuters reported.
- WHO Says Russia Shared Data on Phase I, II Clinical Trials of COVID-19 Vaccine Sputnik V Sputnik 06 Oct 2020 -- Russia has shared with the World Health Organisation (WHO) the data obtained during phase I and II of the clinical trials of its Sputnik V vaccine against COVID-19, an adviser at the WHO's Western Pacific Regional Office said.
- India on a steady trajectory of dipping %Active Cases India PIB 06 Oct 2020 -- India continues to report a trend of steadily declining active cases as a percentage of the total positive cases.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 227 more in Iran IRNA 06 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Tuesday that some 227 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- COVID-19 cases in Iran increase to 475,674 as Israel decides no change of lockdown amid coronavirus surge Global Times 06 Oct 2020 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases rose to 475,674 in Iran on Monday. Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ruled out the possibility of changing the anti-coronavirus restrictions until next Monday amid a coronavirus resurgence.
- Health Ministry: New 557 Recoveries, Critical Cases Remain under 1000, in Saudi Arabia SPA 06 Oct 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 477 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 337,243 cases, including 9,708 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan confirms three new imported cases of COVID-19 CNA 06 Oct 2020 -- Taiwan on Tuesday confirmed three new cases of COVID-19, all Taiwan nationals who returned from overseas Sunday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- North Korean Port Cities Hit Hard by Trade Sanctions, Coronavirus Closures Radio Free Asia 06 Oct 2020 -- North Korean port cities are in trouble, with idle ships rusting in once bustling harbors and state-run trading companies reduced to catching octopuses for sale to China, brought down by double pinch of the coronavirus and international trade sanctions meant to deter Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions, sources told RFA.
- Mexico registers record daily rise in COVID-19 cases, deaths Global Times 06 Oct 2020 -- Mexico registered a record daily increase in both COVID-19 infections and deaths, with 28,115 new cases and 2,789 deaths, the country's health ministry said Monday.
- Myanmar's Effort to Trace COVID-19 Spread Treads on Sensitive Territory Radio Free Asia 06 Oct 2020 -- Myanmar's second wave of coronavirus may have been triggered by "returnees" from neighboring Bangladesh, who brought the illness back with them when they illegally entered Rakhine state, which is now a COVID-19 hotspot, according to a senior government health official.
- KSrelief Delivers Medical Aid to Bangladesh to Combat COVID-19 SPA 06 Oct 2020 -- King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) delivered yesterday medical aid to the Republic of Bangladesh to combat the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Malaysia reports 691 new coronavirus cases, biggest daily jump SPA 06 Oct 2020 -- Malaysia on Tuesday reported 691 new coronavirus cases, its biggest daily jump since the start of the pandemic, Reuters reported.
- Report outlines long road to post-COVID recovery for Latin America and Caribbean UN News 06 Oct 2020 -- Economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic in Latin America and the Caribbean will be slower than the return to productivity following the subprime mortgage crisis more than a decade ago, the head of the UN's office for the region, ECLAC, said on Tuesday.
- Peru's Main Airport Reopens for International Flights After Closing Due to Coronavirus VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- Peru's main airport is receiving international flights for the first time in six months after restrictions were put in place to help control the spread of the coronavirus.
- Thousands of Muslims Gather for Pilgrimage Event in Senegal Amid Concerns of a COVID-19 Outbreak VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in Senegal are hoping Tuesday's Muslim celebration of Grand Magal in the holy city of Touba will not become a spreader event for the coronavirus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|