10 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Certain Terrorist Attacks The White House 10 Sep 2020
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate The White House 10 Sep 2020
- Statement From Acting Secretary Chad Wolf On Microsoft's Election Initiative DHS 10 Sep 2020 -- Acting Secretary Wolf released the following statement on Microsoft's announcement today which can be found here:
- US Sanctions 4 for Russia-linked Interference in November Presidential Election VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- The United States on Thursday sanctioned four Russian-linked operatives, accusing them of trying to meddle in the upcoming U.S. presidential election.
- United States Sanctions Russian Actors and Proxies for Efforts To Interfere in Elections US Dept. of State 10 Sep 2020 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned four Kremlin-linked individuals for their efforts to interfere in United States elections.
- Treasury Sanctions Russia-Linked Election Interference Actors US Treasury 10 Sep 2020 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated four Russia-linked individuals for attempting to influence the U.S. electoral process. Russia uses a variety of proxies to attempt to sow discord between political parties and drive internal divisions to influence voters as part of Moscow's broader efforts to undermine democratic countries and institutions.
- Report: Russian Hackers Targeted Political Consultancy Working For Biden RFE/RL 10 Sep 2020 -- A campaign-advisory company working for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden was targeted by suspected Russian state-backed hackers, a Reuters report has found, which the Kremlin dismissed as "nonsense."
- 'Russia-Linked' Individuals, Including Ukrainian Lawmaker, Blacklisted Over U.S. Election Interference RFE/RL 10 Sep 2020 -- The United States says it has imposed sanctions on a Ukrainian lawmaker behind leaked telephone records of Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden, as well as three other "Russia-linked" individuals accused of attempting to influence the U.S. electoral process.
- Text of a Notice on Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect To Foreign Interference In or Undermining Public Confidence In U.S. Elections The White House 10 Sep 2020
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate The White House 10 Sep 2020
- Whistle-Blower Says He Was Told To Downplay Russian 2020 Election Interference RFE/RL 10 Sep 2020 -- A Department of Homeland Security (DHS) intelligence analyst says in a whistle-blower complaint that the head of the department told him to stop reporting on Russian election interference and focus instead on interference by China and Iran.
- Attorney General William P. Barr and DEA Acting Administrator Timothy J. Shea Announce Results of Operation Crystal Shield US Dept. of Justice 10 Sep 2020 -- Nearly 29,000 Pounds of Methamphetamine Seized by DEA before Reaching American Streets
- Joint Statement on U.S.-India Counter Terrorism Joint Working Group and Designations Dialogue US Dept. of State 10 Sep 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and India on the occasion of the third U.S.-India Counter Terrorism Joint Working Group and Designations Dialogue.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Leaders pledge 'quantum leap' towards fully funding COVID-19 vaccines and treatments UN News 10 Sep 2020 -- Global leaders, including more than 30 Heads of State and Ministers, have underlined their commitment towards fast-tracking the development and production of COVID-19 tests, medicines and vaccines, that will be available for anyone, anywhere, who needs them.
- UN Chief Says $35 Billion Needed for WHO Coronavirus Program VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres Thursday called for $35 billion in additional funding for the World Health Organization's Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator program, designed to develop and equitably distribute COVID-19 vaccines and treatments worldwide.
- Global COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 900,000 VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- With the global death toll from COVID-19 pandemic now over 900,000, the top infectious disease expert in the United States says that drugmaker AstraZeneca's suspension of final global trials of its experimental vaccine points to the effectiveness of the safeguards that have been incorporated into the trials.
- Global COVID-19 deaths surpass 900,000 -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- Global COVID-19 deaths surpassed 900,000 on Wednesday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Aviation Industry Preps for Worldwide Delivery of COVID-19 Vaccine to Billions VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- The global aviation industry says now is the time to begin planning "the mission of the century": delivering a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine to billions of people in some of the most remote parts of the world.
- COVID-19 could reverse downward trend in infant deaths: UN People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic could reverse decades of progress toward eliminating preventable child deaths, said the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Wednesday.
- Trump Knew of COVID Danger But Downplayed It, Book Recounts VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump knew in early 2020 how deadly the coronavirus could be in the United States, but he intentionally misled the American public about the severity of the disease to avoid panicking people, according to a new book by journalist Bob Woodward.
- Under fire, Trump defends his remarks about downplaying coronavirus threat People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- Knowing "This is deadly stuff," but telling the public the virus would disappear "like a miracle."
- 'I Didn't Lie,' Trump Asserts About Seriousness of Coronavirus VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- "I didn't lie," U.S. President Donald Trump bluntly responded at a White House news conference Thursday after a reporter asked him, "Why did you lie to the American people?"
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Briefing The White House 10 Sep 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 10 Sep 2020
- Weekly Update: DHS Response to COVID-19 DHS 10 Sep 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Over 9 Million COVID-19 Tests Conducted to Date in New York State New York State 10 Sep 2020
- European Commission to order COVID-19 vaccines from BioNtech, Pfizer People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- The European Commission is planning to order 200 million doses of a potential COVID-19 vaccine from the German pharmaceutical company BioNTech SE and U.S. company Pfizer, the companies said Wednesday in a statement.
- Germany extends travel warning for around 160 countries until end of September People's Daily 10 Sep 2020 -- The German federal government on Wednesday extended its travel warning for more than 160 non-European Union (EU) countries due to COVID-19 until the end of September.
- Russia Reports 5,363 New Coronavirus Cases, 128 Deaths SPA 10 Sep 2020 -- Russia reported 5,363 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the national tally to 1,046,370, the fourth largest in the world, Reuters reported.
- Russia Plans to Supply Up to 100Mln Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine to Latin America, Official Says Sputnik 10 Sep 2020 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund, one of the entities behind the Russian coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V, plans to supply up to 100 million doses of the vaccine to various countries across Latin America, the company's chief executive officer, Kirill Dmitriev, said on Thursday.
- Health Ministry urges States/UTs to Mandatorily retest all Symptomatic Negative Cases of Rapid Antigen Tests through RT-PCR India PIB 10 Sep 2020 -- Union Health Ministry has noted that in some large States, symptomatic negative cases tested by Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) are not being followed up by RT-PCT testing.
- UPDATES on COVID-19 India PIB 10 Sep 2020 -- A total of 95,735 new cases have been reported in the last 24 hours in the country.
- FAO elaborates on programme to overcome impacts of COVID-19 IRNA 10 Sep 2020 -- The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has elaborated on a comprehensive Response and Recovery Programme to overcome the impacts of COVID-19 through up-scaled and robust international collaboration.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 129 more in Iran IRNA 10 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat-Lari said on Thursday that 129 more Iranians have lost their lives to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 22,798.
- Tokyo Lowers COVID-19 Alert Level as Infections Drop VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- Tokyo lowered its COVID-19 alert status to the second highest level Thursday, as the number of new cases continues to drop.
- Health Ministry: 1032 New Cases Recovered, 41,291 Tests Conducted with 24-Hours in Saudi Arabia SPA 10 Sep 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced today that 708 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 323,720 cases, including 19,533 active cases undergoing treatment. Of these, there are 1,363 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Another Taiwanese manufacturer accused of selling counterfeit masks CNA 10 Sep 2020 -- A manufacturer on the "National Face Mask Team" was detained and questioned by prosecutors Wednesday, on suspicion of importing some 10 million non-medical grade masks from China and labeling them as Taiwan-made.
- Taiwanese tests positive for COVID-19 after returning from Indonesia CNA 10 Sep 2020 -- A Taiwanese man tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, nearly one week after returning home on the same flight as another Taiwanese national who was also confirmed with the disease, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- Brazil doubles daily number of deaths, cases of COVID-19 Global Times 10 Sep 2020 -- New cases and deaths from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Brazil doubled from Tuesday to Wednesday, with 1,075 deaths and 35,816 cases reported in the last 24 hours, the government reported.
- AstraZeneca chief says Oxford COVID-19 vaccine could be available this year Press TV 10 Sep 2020 -- AstraZeneca, developing a COVID-19 vaccine in collaboration with Oxford University, have announced that despite having paused trials after a volunteer fell ill, the vaccine may be available by Christmas.
- Deadly Rumor Has Turkmen Citizens With COVID Symptoms Avoiding Hospitals RFE/RL 10 Sep 2020 -- There were reports on September 7 of Turkmen officials approving an amendment to the law that obligates people who suspect they have contracted a dangerous infectious disease to seek medical treatment and also requires people in hospitals with such illnesses not to leave medical facilities.
- Oman: Total Confirmed Covid-19 Cases Stand at 88337 SPA 10 Sep 2020 -- The total number of positive Covid-19 cases in the Sultanate of Oman reached 88337, while the number of recoveries stood at 83325, comprising 94.3 percent, Oman News Agency reported.
- Africa Sees Progress in Coronavirus Fight, but Also Setbacks VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- The African continent is seeing advances and setbacks in its fight against the coronavirus.
- Third Phase of Human Trials for Coronavirus Vaccine Underway in Peru VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- The third phase of human trials for a vaccine against the coronavirus is underway in Peru.
- Myanmar Election Campaign Launch Tripped up by Coronavirus Surge Radio Free Asia 10 Sep 2020 -- Coronavirus cases have spiked in Myanmar this month just as campaigning opened for nationwide elections, forcing political parties to deal with restrictions on rallies, stay-at-home-orders, and quarantines in the two-month race for votes on Nov. 8.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|